About our location
On April 26 the Mountain Democrat moved to 2889 Ray Lawyer Driver, leaving the office it had occupied at 1360 Broadway since Dec. 7, 1991.
The Democrat purchased the old Safeway building in August 1990 from the Muriel Lundsberg Trust administered by Wheaton College in Illinois.
Previously the Mountain Democrat had been located at 443 Main St. since 1889 when it moved from south side of Main Street two doors west of the Cary House. The Democrat had been located near the Cary House beginning in 1879. Prior to that it is believed the Democrat was located on Center Street over the grave sites of lynching victims of Placerville’s hanging tree. That location is now a parking lot.
In 1976 the Democrat expanded and leased half of the old Mother Lode Bank building at 445 Main St. In 1982 the Democrat added the other half of the bank building, 447 Main St., to its lease when Security Pacific, which had bought Mother Lode Bank, closed its Main Street branch.
The Mountain Democrat was founded in Coloma in June 1851 as the El Dorado News. Its name was changed to the El Dorado Republican and moved to Placerville when the county seat moved there from Coloma. In February 1854 it was renamed the Mountain Democrat,putting out its first issue under that name Feb. 25.