Attached is a copy of a letter sent to Jerry Brown Govemor of the state of California. I didn’t expect a favorable response but I did expect an answer saying that he disagreed. The letter was sent to him on Sept. 9, 2012 and I have received no reply. My question is this enough to consider a recall petition? Or in your opinion do we need to wait for a more heinous action on his part?
The Wife and I have received the billing for the so called fire prevention fee. I am paying the bill under protest. A copy of this letter is being sent to a local newspaper.
The reasons that this protest is made are:
1. The fee is a tax and was not passed by a required 2/3 majority of legislators.
2. A small portion of the bill is based upon time when there was no illegal law. You are billing from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012 while the law was not enacted until July 7, 2011.
3. This fee (illegal tax) only is assessed to owners of places of habitation. I assume that you are going to provide more protection than is allowed to landowners who have no places of habitation? I don’t think that is reasonable.
4. Related to number three above is wild landowners are going to receive increased benefits from your added actions paid for with this fee. I should not have to subsidize the benefits for the wild landowners. If Cal Fire needs more funds to carry out their mission the funds should come from all landowners, if not all residents of the state.
5. The brochures accompanying the bill said that the fee (illegal tax) would not be collected in cities. Residents of a city like Placerville would not be billed. Residents of a community like Weaverville would be billed. Both are county seats of the county where they are located. Therefore I think this fee is wrong.
6. At times there are fires in places like Oakland and Malibu, cities in California which have no need for the residents to pay this fee. I think this is not right and that this law should be suspended and repealed.