Monday, April 14, 2014

7 p.m. mail

As a resident of Placerville, paying the high price of postage, I place mail in my mailbox when I leave for work in the a.m. It is still there when I get home in the evening, and by 7 p.m. I am wondering if I should remove my mail from the mailbox because of mail theft, which is a growing threat.

I pay my bills on time, but when the postal service doesn’t pick up until 7 p.m. or later, I feel I need to remove my mail and replace it in the a.m.

Pathetic mail service, and as of recently … I used to get my mail by noon. Perhaps it is time to start dropping it at the post office in the a.m. to be sure it is not ripped off.

Government service is getting worse and worse.

EVERETTE JEFFERSON
Placerville

• osogatoJanuary 22, 2014 - 1:11 pm

As a former letter carrier, I can tell you that no carrier wants to be out on the route until 7 P.M. or after. In fact, I don't think it is allowed. I have delivered mail after dark in the winter. It is very difficult and not any fun. Either you have a new carrier trying to learn the route, or there was some other problem. And mail comes at different times either because there is a lot of mail one day and not so much the next, or because, as often happens, the routes are consolidated so that your address may go from the beginning of a route to the end, making your mail arrive later. I personally never leave mail in my box. I worry about theft, too. Unfortunately, there are no corner boxes anymore, so you may have to stop by the box outside of the P.O. to mail your letters safely and on time. That's what I do. However your mail service has changed, it is not the carrier's fault. You didn't say it was, but I wanted to make that point.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 22, 2014 - 2:57 pm

or watch for some other ordinance coming round the bend. Signs, motorcycles, billboards...mail service? Remember all the remarks about "panhandling"--well surprise now there's a new ordinance for that. I like my mail person. so lets watch for what is going to happen at the post office. Congress wants delay in selling of historic post offices until federal report is completed. http://tinyurl.com/mefjem2

• Fran DuchampJanuary 22, 2014 - 3:07 pm

" The Post Office. Get ready to imagine a world without the post office. They are so deeply in financial trouble that there is probably no way to sustain it long term. e-mail, Fed Ex, and UPS have just about wiped out the minimum revenue needed to keep the post office alive. Most of your mail every day is junk mail and bills." Enter private people having pick up in their stores...oh wait--that is already happening. To push the demise of the post office...repeating stories of sudden "failure"...shrugging shoulders...something to think about. some of the postal properties are worth a small fortune.

• James E.January 22, 2014 - 3:36 pm

Fran, you left one thing out. The fact that Congress requires the Post Office to fund 'now' their retirement fund 75 years out. No other entity is required to do this. Why? So when they fail because of this burden Congress can call in their private buddies to do the job at greater cost to the consumers. And, what private buddy is going to deliver a letter for 49 cents to Moosehead, Alaska or Turkeyknob, Vermont?

• Fran DuchampJanuary 22, 2014 - 4:07 pm

Heavy sigh...I find many things very sad...not having my mail person say hello to me...or drive the mail up my driveway--because she knows it is hard for me to walk in the snow (a very kind gesture.) I have always loved mail people...most of the time--they brought great stuff.

• Sleepless in PlacervilleJanuary 24, 2014 - 5:32 am

Fran, the motorcycle comment was probably directed towards me, as I have complained about the noise they make previously. I want to make it clear it is the unnecessary noise they emit not the bike we object to. But you knew that. With after market exhausts testing at over 125 db (130 is pain threshold 90-95=hearing loss) I don't see how you can defend these bikes' exhausts . Even the CEO of AMA has condemned the noise. It serves no purpose except to annoy, and startle people around them. And don't hand me the “loud pipe save lives crap” because it has been proven it is more likely to startle other drivers into bad maneuvers. It is also apparent with their love of lane splitting and all the black garb these tools wear, safety/visibility is not one of their concerns. Did you see the big rally at state cap a few days ago where riders were protesting a reflective vest law? Trust me it is not safety that is their priority. I work outside and would never work along side traffic without my cal-tranny oranges although it is optional for me to wear them. I want to live. In town they love to get under the overpasses and wide open throttle it at 2,3,4, Am because they think it is funny. My husband is an ER nurse and needs his sleep but with all the Harleys' having their fun sometimes (most times)it is impossible. Kinda funny he is the one to work on them when they frequently come into ER. But not so funny when your kid comes in and you get a sleep deprived RN We are only trying to get some sleep in our owner occupied, property tax generating home so we can perform our duties at work. The noise has become so bad since the new freeway improvements I have 3 empty houses next to me. These homes will only decrease in value therefore decreasing tax rev. and will only deteriorate to the point only undesirables will live here, so it should be a concern for all EDC. Did you know the number one reason people move is because of noise? I don't want to hear from people who are unaffected-if you don't hear them, good for you but you got no dog in this fight. Why should people suffer because some tool wants to make ear-bleeding noise come out of his a$$? So tell me Fran where do their rights end and mine begin? Also Fran, when is loud too loud? Oh, yesterday I had to take a drowsy driving class at work because I was called out on being tired. I was informed it is worse than drunk driving. Tell me Fran where do my rights begin? We dont give a flying fig what others do unless in inthibits our ability to support ourselves

• Sleepless in PlacervilleJanuary 24, 2014 - 6:20 am

Added-Oh, and anyone who thinks the noise is great, give me your address and I will arrange for some HD riders to WOT near your home and then see how great they are. And here is a kicker, an ex- patient of my hubby rides but then puts it in storage at night because his sub div. where he lives doesn't allow them, meaning; he could care less about other peoples' quiet enjoyment but don't do it in his back yard.

• BobJanuary 24, 2014 - 7:10 am

I love the Harley riders who wear earplugs. Shouldn't they supply them to anyone within 2 miles?

• Danny BoyJanuary 24, 2014 - 7:30 am

Bob. Google "How to make Harley loud", Dang! Harley Loud pipe competition----------------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKViPG-Gd-o South Parks take on Harleys --------------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4 (do I need to say it? Not for children)

• BobJanuary 24, 2014 - 7:43 am

Must Read-Houston Police Officer's Letter to Texas Governor on Motorcycle Noise http://www.noisefree.org/motorcycles/houston-cop.phpchildren)

• The Louder the Pipes, the Littler the........January 24, 2014 - 7:57 am

Bob, Thanks for the awesome link. Wow! Excellent letter, I suspected as much. Poor guy.

• will this help?January 24, 2014 - 8:16 am

How about a sound wall instaed of roundabout? http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/soundwalls/samples/synopsis.htm In 1973-74, State and Federal agencies adopted formal policy and criteria for construction of noise barriers. California leads the nation in both completed and planned soundwalls. About 400 miles of walls have been completed. There are three basic programs under which CALTRANS may under take soundwall construction: As part of a new freeway project As a part of a freeway widening project Under the Community Noise Abatement Program The most frequent requests fall under the Community Program. Typically, the request is to build a soundwall on an existing freeway to shield adjacent residences from freeway noise. The immediate key questions that need to be answered are: Does the area qualify? If yes... In order for the area to qualify, it must meet all of the following criteria: a. Residential property built prior to the freeway or prior to a major widening. b. Has hourly noise levels that exceed the 67-decibel (Leg) threshold c. Must be able to achieve at least a 5-decibel reduction d. Cost does not exceed $35.000 per residential unit (1987 dollars) When will it be built? If not soon... Normally, engineering and construction scheduling are not a problem. However, the availability of funds is usually the major stumbling block, which generally means waiting. Where does it stand on the waiting list? Because the demand for soundwalls has far exceeded the funding to build them, a priority waiting list has been developed. This waiting list is based on a formula, which combines noise levels, number of living units and cost effectiveness to produce a ranking.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:39 am

I live in Pollock--we have motorcycles...I live by a bar, they can be noisey...I come from a city. when I move anywhere--I know what is around me. I am not sensitive to noise as you are...sorry you are not getting sleep. If this was an issue to El Dorado alone...maybe. but it is national...and it pertains to new ordinances. Again my fight is not for you. I just think the world is odd. People up here never talked about motorcycles in front yards--noise from several bikes doing a run--now with these new small groups--seems to be an issue. Just an observation. The news will come around the time of the ordinance...one can almost call it. Motorcycles are keeping some of our rural backroads alive. Put it on the ballot--let everyone decide. Hope you get sleep soon. Im a mom--now a grandmother...I think I stopped "sleeping" when I was in my early 20 s.

• Sleepless in PlacervilleJanuary 24, 2014 - 12:27 pm

Fran, Fran, What small groups are you referring to? As I have stated before , this is our family home built in the 1890's way before any thought of Harleys or freeways or you existed. Why should we give it up because middle aged dentists want to make needless loud noises come out of their a$$? My father and 2 cousins disappeared in EDC years ago, and this is the only property that would still be familiar to them. We are not going to move because of self absorbed disrespecting a$$holes, who care only for themselves. Did it occur to you that maybe you never heard complaints before because there simply were a lot less bikes n the road?

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 8:50 am

Pathetic mail service <------ this is a sad statement. coming from where the Pony Express came through...the amount of mail successfully delivered should be the news. Small businesses would love the mail to come through their stores instead. while you fax on their comps...mail your items...you can also buy their products. UPS and fedex are happy. Another part of American History leaving...really sad. I am 54 --I have lost only two pieces of mail in my lifetime...never delivered. that speaks volumes. Small groups trying to change the world. Put it on a ballot. Let everyone decide. this article is not about "Government service is getting worse and worse." it is about a few trying to start up a commotion. are people that lonely..powerless... "The United States Postal Service (USPS) employs roughly 700,000 people who work to ensure that 213 billion pieces of mail are delivered to 146 million addresses each year." 700,000 jobs. 213 billion pieces of mail. 146 million addresses. Most for the price of a stamp.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 12:56 pm

Again--sorry you are not getting any sleep....more bikes? Harleys? It is nice to hear people are making good money after all...expensive bike :) or just bikes in general? There are laws for pipes already-- check with your law enforcement people. The noise from bikes...just doesnt bother me. Now the bar...Im hoping someday someone will really be able to sing come karaoke night..keep hope alive. Now personally, I dont ride...dont think about. cars have laws about their mufflers...just like bikes...check out the laws. Put it to ballot...see if there are more people disturbed such as yourself...or people like me who know people drive bikes up here.. shrugging shoulders.

• .Sleepless in PvilleJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:01 pm

Fran, you never did answer my question. Is there a limit of exhaust noise you would object to or is it limitless? I don't agree with your position that it is the fault 100's of thousands of affected homeowners who, like us, were property owners before the new freeways, highways, even lane widening projects that have increased the db level to ILLEGAL limits . We have had noise laws on books for decades although they no longer are enforced (did you read the officers' letter on bobs' link?) , which is another reason for the increase in complaints, not to mention after market exhausts weren't as prevalent in yesteryear and people were just more considerate.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:05 pm

I never put blame on anyone. I never used the word "fault." Put it to ballot. The people of this county should have they right to decide on issues.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:09 pm

article about noise http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/envinternet/ed50-89final/section3.7.pdf. Caltrans.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:13 pm

http://www.noisefree.org/Noise-Ordinance-Manual.pdf noise ordinace suggestion. Motorcycles across the USA vs construction. Ordinances going up--lawsuits following.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:17 pm

"Noise can come from neighbors, boom cars, motorcycles, leaf blowers, car alarms, traffic, train horns, Muzak, barking dogs, and planes. Also, noise is often created within the home, from vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, and television sets. Household noises such as gardening tools, power tools, loud toys, and stereos may cause hearing damage. Many children’s toys (for example, rattles, musical instruments, and squeaky toys) have been measured at 140 decibels and above. Lawn mowers and leaf blowers are as loud as 130 decibels. Personal stereo systems can be 112 decibels. It is important to limit the frequency and use of loud appliances in your home." <----less and less can be done on your own property...or in your own home. How To Fight Noise. go get em...http://www.noisefree.org/Noise-Ordinance-Manual.pdf. Hopefully you do not need to use a generator during the cold months--some don't like that noise.

• I was there at HarleyJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:22 pm

I find the sound of whining more annoying than the sound of Harleys and to say market exhausts weren't as prevalent in yesteryear and people were just more considerate is pure B.S. Just before Hangtown Harley Davidson closed the city bought a brand new Harley for Placerville PD. Before the bike left the dealership the PPD had a set of the loudest, most illegal pipes available on the market put on their bike. Go whine to them!!. Sleepless in Pville your only two choices are to move or learn to live with it.

• Eh?January 24, 2014 - 1:34 pm

Fool, Whining-65DB Harley 120+. wining doesn't cause deafness

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:27 pm

"Although it is no longer funded, the Noise Control Act of 1972, together with its Quiet Communities amendment, has not been repealed as of 2011. Thus it still remains valid. In 2009, an organization called Noise Free America published a report entitled “The American Noise Pollution Epidemic: The Pressing Need for Reestablishing the Office of Noise Abatement and Control," which calls for the restoration of the ONAC." http://tinyurl.com/lyz7fc2 Someday there will be so many laws and ordinaces--that people will not leave their homes...it is the population bringing these ordinances back to life. Is your lawnmower louder than my grandson playing hie clarinet? I dont know the answer. Neighbors fighting ove clotheslines, planting veggies out front of their houses, yard sales...

• Sleepless in PlacervilleJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:42 pm

I suppose you don’t understand the difference between different DB levels (shrugging my shoulders) and I guess you didn’t read the officers’ letter . Oh well, I tried to express my position with respect, but I can see your just a immature, condescending , jerk….no need to go on being respectful or engaging you. But the next time you insinuate about people writing letters against motorcycles, you may want to be more truthful and mention it is the illegal /senseless exhaust we object to. And if you don’t see the difference between necessary and temporary construction and senseless, constant Harley noise……… Also I’m sorry your having trouble walking down the driveway………..Snow? Arthritis? You should have chosen your driveway more carefully.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 1:48 pm

Motorcycles have noise...but there are other items that have more...and living in the country...well: Decibel Loudness Comparison Chart Painful 150 dB = fireworks at 3 feet 140 dB = firearms, jet engine 130 dB = jackhammer 120 dB = jet plane takeoff, siren Extremely Loud 110 dB = maximum output of some MP3 players, model airplane, chainsaw 106 dB = gas lawn mower, snow blower 100 dB = hand drill, pneumatic drill 90 dB = subway, passing motorcycle Very Loud 80–90 dB = blow-dryer, kitchen blender, food processor 70 dB = busy traffic, vacuum cleaner, alarm clock Moderate 60 dB = typical conversation, dishwasher, clothes dryer 50 dB = moderate rainfall 40 dB = quiet room Faint 30 dB = whisper, quiet library That chainsaw--can be louder than the motorcycle. Hearing loss of america Association http://www.hearingloss.org/content/prevention-hearing-loss.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 2:00 pm

wow I was respectful. several years ago I fell on the ice--hit the back of my head...lost the ability to walk...loss the use of my hands. After several operations...I can walk slowly...use my hands for simple things. but you are right...if I couldn't put up with the inconvenience--I would move. I put up links, suggested putting it to ballot. I dont know how that makes me a jerk...lolololl...Have a great day. I also didnt fall on my driveway. I actually prefer walking on dirt and gravel over sidewalk and asphalt...it is sturdier.

• James E.January 24, 2014 - 2:19 pm

Fran, don't mind those jerks. Knocking you when they have no knowledge of you.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 24, 2014 - 2:22 pm

Thanks James...no worries. Hope you are feeling better :)

• have you ever noticed?January 24, 2014 - 2:45 pm

Anonymous bloggers are more likely to be pointlessly rude.

• LJ 1964January 26, 2014 - 6:54 pm

Fran, Sleepless, and others--did you forget this topic was about mail service and not about motorcycles? So many of the blogs about letters are getting needlessly long and convoluted because some of you forget the subject and go on and on about your personal issues that are not even related to the original subject. And some of your stuff is largely unintelligible. Please stop doing this. You ruin blogs for people like me who want to stick to the main issue. Please stop the unintelligible, unrelated, and unending blather

• Fran DuchampJanuary 26, 2014 - 7:17 pm

LJ 1964 Dont read them :) I covered mail. And actually I was responding to two different ideas--the mail. And Sleepless...with motorcycles. Are you saying that sleepless doesnt have the right to post on this thread? Or that I should have not responded? I defend their right to post anywhere they please..and I didnt even agree with them. Which makes this America buddy.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 26, 2014 - 7:22 pm

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/alston/alston21.html What Would Happen If the Post Office Had Competition? some day someone in this county is going to come up with a NEW idea....it is already out there...complain about the postal service--set small business to have fed ex...UPS...postal boxes (brings in additional shoppers.)

• Fran DuchampJanuary 26, 2014 - 7:27 pm

"Let’s be clear—the Internet has decreased the volume of first-class mail as people send fewer cards and letters and pay bills online. But people now shop on the Internet in increasing numbers for an enormous volume of goods. Online commerce totaled $289 billion in 2012 with retail shopping comprising some $186.2 billion, and one market forecast of online shopping projects $362 billion in sales by 2016. Many, if not most, of these retail purchases get delivered to people’s homes. That’s why UPS (UPS) and Federal Express (FDX) are doing pretty well. Not only are both companies profitable, but UPS, for example, had 2012 U.S. package delivery revenue of almost $33 billion, compared with the Postal Service’s $11.6 billion. " Management Don't Blame the Internet for the Post Office Blues By Jeffrey Pfeffer March 18, 2013 http://tinyurl.com/jvsefp8

• Fran DuchampJanuary 26, 2014 - 7:33 pm

There are now small businesses setting up the convenience of mailing an item...this is no secret. All over the world. so complain about the mail...whatever. I live in a place where the Pony Express came through--I honor that. My mail was fine until people got on this band wagon...lets add it to signage, billboards, motorcycle noise. I have had several people stop me in town to complain about their mail being lost...I dont know what to tell everyone. I have had two problems in my whole life...and that was just a couple of months ago. I like walking out to my mailbox--I live in the woods...it comes with clotheslines, and the big buck that eats my roses. And I like it. Many of us come out at the same time--so we say hello...and chat for awhile...

Water rights detailed for EDWPA board

Supes pick 1% growth forecast

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Sanford trial keys off chain of evidence

Cedar Springs Waldorf offers open house

By John Poimiroo | From Page: A4 | Gallery

Supervisor responds to Small Farm rate issue

EDH APAC

Government regulations

Censorship?

Schedule: April 14-19, 2014

Sanders breaks through with race victory

By Bill Sullivan | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Lacrosse: Trojans battle but fall to St. Francis

By Brandon Anicich | From Page: A6

Softball: Grizzlies win wild one

Under the Scoreboard: April 13, 2014

Tennis: Golden Sierra vs Forest Lake Christian

Roundup: April 10-12

El Dorado falls to Cosumnes Oaks

By Mike Bush | From Page: A7

Tuvan Throat Singers perform at Harris Center

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B1

Foothill gourmet: Bacon and cackle berries

By Donna Brown | From Page: B2