Yes. The United States of America is a Christian nation. Our country was founded as a Christian nation. Our Judeo/Christian culture has enabled our country and its peoples to become the pinnacles of human kindness, self-sacrifice, fairness, decency and prosperity.
Being a Christian nation does not mean that we reject peoples of other religions. It means that we believe:
• “… all men are created equal, endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” (This quote is from our Declaration of Independence.)
• “Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof …” (This quote is from the First Amendment of our Bill of Rights.)
Further, it means we recognize and support the worth of every individual and welcome that individual to support, protect and prosper our — their — country. Hindus, Hmongs, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims and many others are all encouraged, when coming to the USA, to fully assimilate into our culture.
Just as “freedom of speech” has certain legal and proper restrictions, the free exercise of religion has certain legal and proper restrictions. One cannot shout fire in a darkened theater as this could cause injury and death to many people. Also, one cannot deliberately spread false and malicious tales about another as this would likely damage that other person. Religions which permit parents from withholding needed medical treatment from their young children are not to be sanctioned. Also, religions which promote the overthrow of our governmental system should not be permitted to exist in the USA.
Considering the foregoing, why then are Christians, especially Evangelical Christians who profess Jesus Christ to be their Lord and Savior, being ridiculed and even persecuted here in our country?
Why does our president, Barack Obama, say that we are not a Christian nation? And, further, he states and I quote: “I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear.” But, he never speaks out against the atrocities suffered by Christians worldwide. And, as reported by the Breitbart news organization, “American PC culture — especially in Hollywood — has reached the point where Islam cannot ever be targeted. It is a protected faith. On the other hand, Christianity can be mocked endlessly.” The president says nothing about this treatment of Christians in the United States.
The Department of Defense seems to be the fastest mover in the Obama administration in targeting and persecuting Christians. Some examples are:
• Some training material recently obtained by the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty shows that Catholics and Evangelical Christians were included with Al Qaeda, Hamas and Sunni Muslims as religious extremists.
• The Department of Air Force removed a painting with biblical reference from the dining hall at an Air Force Base in Idaho. The Air Force complied within 56 minutes after receiving a request for action from Mikey Weinstein, head of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.
• Lt. General Jerry Boykin (Ret.) was pressured by the Pentagon to withdraw from a speaking engagement at West Point because Weinstein labeled him a “vile Islamaphobe.” (Lt. General Boykin had a distinguished career and at one post was the Commanding General for all Green Berets and at another post he commanded the Delta Force. He eagerly admits he is a Christian.)
• In January, a cross and steeple were removed and cross-shaped windows were boarded up at a chapel in a remote Army base in
• A chaplain at Air Base Elmendorf in Alaska is being investigated while told to remove a posting on his Web page which delved into a World War I chaplain’s statement that there are no atheists in foxholes.
• The Pentagon has raised several issues regarding Christian chaplains proselytizing when doing their duties to the men and women in their assigned units.
• Franklin Graham, president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse was disinvited by the Pentagon as its primary speaker at its National Day of Prayer celebration. This “disinvite” was pressured by Mikey Weinstein.
These are not the only biases against Christians as colleges and universities continually take actions to treat Christians as second-class members of our society. A lady at a college in northern California was told to remove a necklace which had a cross attached to it. Christian speakers are continually harassed by Muslim groups, some even physically; with some invitations being rescinded at the last moment.
I earnestly pray the world will change and be charged with the love and forgiveness offered by Jesus Christ.
EDWARD T. BERNHOFT