America deserves better than a ‘turtle on a fence post’

EDITOR: Far away from his normal campaign comfort-zone of cheering crowds and people falling all over themselves, Obama had trouble selling any of his sunshine and snake-oil to the folks at last night’s Presidential debate.

Over 60 million people around the world watched as a Presidential debate instead unfolded into a professor-student lecture on economics, with Professor Mitt Romney taking yet another step toward becoming the next President of the these United States.

Romney showed up wide awake, armed with indisputable facts, figures and a whole load of common sense, making it was obvious to those on both sides of the aisle he was the one in complete control.

Without his much-needed teleprompter, the president’s only answer for Romney’s pure logic was to force a smile and stare at the floor as if desperately searching for MSNBC talking points scribbled on the auditorium carpet.

To make matters worse for Obama, in this rare instance his lap-dogs of the liberal media were unable to filter out any bad news and protect the president from himself, so what America got was an authentic glimpse of the “real Obama,” the proverbial “turtle on a fence post.” Last night America began wondering just how Obama ever got up there, knows he’s not going to get anything done while he’s up there, and just feels the need to help him down.

Of course, the true litmus test to Romney’s success last night was when I quickly changed the channel after the debate over to the Obama-funded cable network MSNBC and saw a room full a idiots yelling “lies, nothing but lies.” Oh, he’s OK ,”Obama’s just using the rope a dope trick.”So freaked-out it seemed they might only be subdued with nets and tranquilizer darts.

Plus, while Al Gore was busy trying to blame Obama’s pitiful performance on Denver’s mile-high altitude I could swear I saw Chris Matthews cry. Another dead giveaway to Romney’s success is the re-emergence of all our liberal friends here in the Mountain D, with their freshly spun MSNBC talking points. Just last week they were all enjoying a huge sugar high over a minor convention bounce. Now they’re back hammering away at their keyboards, calling everyone on the right bigots.

In a letter I wrote to the editor three months ago, I predicted this overwhelming Romney victory in the first debate, at the same time I also predicted the next day liberals would begin playing the race card “like never before” but I was wrong. It didn’t even take until the next day; it took about an hour.

That’s unfortunate because, in a true, equal and colorblind America, we should all be able to tell the plain truth about a president (or anyone else) despite his/her color, and not have to think about being called a bigot…Black, White, Green, Brown, Purple, whatever, fact is, if Obama loses in November his fate will be sealed, and he will be seen as the worst president in modern history. Yes, worse than Carter or Bush combined, but not because he’s black, instead it’s simply because he was the worst president in modern history.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to the lib’s next “turtle on a fence post” moment, which will come during the vice presidential debate, Thursday, Oct. 11, somewhere in Kentucky. My prediction for that debate is Joe Biden will again, say something extremely stupid. The only question is will he say it with a Harvard accent, a Southern accent, or just be wearing a lampshade on his head? Only time will tell.

R.J. CARTER

Shingle Springs

• Romney SupporterOctober 05, 2012 - 3:11 pm

RJ, you're absolutely right on all points.

• DB SmithOctober 05, 2012 - 3:31 pm

Perfect account R.J. & I agree w/your Biden prediction. I can hardly wait. Thanks

• James E.October 05, 2012 - 5:27 pm

R.J., PLEASE do not give the MSNBC folks credit for the rope-a-dope. If they had thought of it, they wouldn't have been so depressed -- I thought Ed Schultz was going to cry. I am the rope-a-dope originator, as it was obvious to me. Cover up, let Mitt expend energy knowing he would present false talking points. Cover up, and say nothing that could be consider a gaffe. I'm reminded in September/October? 1960 when I came to work and my boss asked me if I seen the debate the night before? I replied yes and he said, "Nixon wiped the floor with Kennedy." As I said in 1960 to my boss, time will tell. In that regard, I do like the ending to your letter. "Only time will tell." So true. By the way, debates don't win or lose elections unless there is a serious gaffe of all times. Only one minor gaffe in this debate, and it was the potential firing of Big Bird. It's the only thing we will remember of this debate in 10 years -- wait, make that 5 years. P.S. For Mitt to win he will have to overcome in all those swing states. Not going to happen and when Obama turns it over to Mrs. Clinton in 2016 will you guys/gals be able to deal with it? R.J., I know you will but I'm not sure about some of the others. P.P.S. Will Ryan in his debate give us the math he has declined to give voters. I'll be looking forward to how he does it. Hey, happy election R.J., one more month and then we can go back to happy thoughts.

• R.J. CarterOctober 07, 2012 - 9:55 am

Thank you James...And yes, I do feel bad about Big Bird, but I'm sure he'll have a job waiting for him with his cartoon character friends over at MSNBC, a.k.a. the Rev, Rachael and Big Ed .... James, MSNBC is one of the least watched cable channels on the planet for a reason, it's NOT a news network, it is merely a left-wing political opinion network designed to make Libs feel warm and fuzzy....If "Bagdad Bob" was on cable it would be MSNBC..... Most people feel if they are going to vote properly in an election, they first need to form an accurate opinion according to facts and figures, not just pure bias and political rant....May I suggest CNN for you, it's an extremely left-leaning network, but to their credit, they also make an attempt to accurately report the news......

• James E.October 07, 2012 - 10:48 am

R.J., I thought the discussion was about the performances of Mitt and Obama in the debate? How did MSNBC and CNN get into the conversation? OK, so you say MSNBC and even CNN should not be viewed. What's left for me? Fox News which is perfect in its presentation of the news? Neither of us watch Big Bird, but do you discount the value of Big Bird, Burt and Ernie, et al., in teaching little kids -- Today, the letter is P -- propaganda as in Fox News. Kids, I know you're only four, but be prepared to have reality slap you in the face. Your childhood is over, as Big Bird has been cancelled. Stop whining, brace that back, shoulders back, grow up.

• DeeOctober 07, 2012 - 11:20 am

From 2008 990 tax form, the CEO of Sesame Workshop was paid $956,513. In aproximately three years,2003 to 2006, "Sesame Street" made more than $211 million from merchandise sales. So little guy, Big Bird is being kicked off welfare and going to join the ranks of adults who make a profit without government. The cable channels, the networks and other folks are lining up to have the privilage of broadcastng the shows to you. Sleep tight Babe, Big Bird isn't going anywhere. But hopefully, "Washington Week" will.

• DB SmithOctober 07, 2012 - 12:14 pm

Dee, Big Bird off of welfare! I love it. Go Romney!!!

• R.J. CarterOctober 07, 2012 - 6:09 pm

James ...Nothing to debate about the debate, all crystal clear...Just wanted to make the point that I do watch both CNN and FOX for their opposing views... Both networks report the news with their own political slant, yet without the ridiculous venom that MSNBC spews ......Added, It's sad to think childhoods now hinge solely on a big, yellow, government-funded, bird... Looking back at my own childhood, I wonder if Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green-jeans needed money loaned from China to stay on the air.....

• James E.October 07, 2012 - 8:33 pm

R.J., we would have to track the money -- it could well be that Big Bird is funded by the tax check I wrote today, while the subsidy money to big oil is funded by money borrowed from China. We need to see a spreadsheet. Strange that Mitt didn't mention that oil subsidies are being funded from China and that he won't continued to fund them with borrowed money if he becomes president. Could it be that Tea/Republicans hate Big Bird, but love oil subsidies? Could it be, could it be.

• cookie65October 08, 2012 - 4:33 am

This election has only ever been about one thing. The millions of people who gave obama the benefit of the doubt for what ever reason and voted for him who cannot wait to vote against him. And I am not refering to the half-wit leftists who believe in socialist utopia. I am only refering to the people who got sucked into the hype given to them by the leftist media and actually believed that the manchild had some credentials.

• cookie65October 08, 2012 - 4:44 am

obama was elected by people who believed he was going to be very generous with other peoples money. He has been, but to everyone but them. In many cases to people that they have been trained to despise. But in most cases to people who could return it to him in the form of campaign contributions. The worst part is the "other people" who's money it is are future generations. But to a leftist that doesn't matter as long as they get their handout.

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 08, 2012 - 7:05 am

Mr Carter -- I watch a lot of FOX, MSNBC, and CNN. It is clear to me that FOX and MSNBC are opposite sides of the same coin. FOX engages in non-stop bashing of President Obama, while MSNBC is non-stop bashing of Governor Romney. You don't see the "ridiculous venom" spewed by FOX for the same reason lefties don't see it on MSNBC -- you agree with them.

• Jim RiordanOctober 08, 2012 - 11:52 am

Great Job R.J. I would add one thing . . I personally found it incredibly funny watching Obama stumble around without his teleprompters. I have done a lot of public speaking as did my Dad who was my mentor. All I ever had in front of me were my "Talking points". All the rest was in my head spoken from experience. My dad taught me that as long as I KNEW the subject and it was TRUTHFUL, I would never be lost for words and I would have the answers to questions asked by audiences. At many seminars given over the years on product development and business matters I have always found that to be true. It appears Obama is nothing without a teleprompter since he cannot remember what version he last told. That does not happen when you speak the TRUTH from KNOWLEDGE, neither of which Obama has a grasp of, in my opinion. Take away his teleprompters and he is an empty shell. You cannot speak to working men and women intelligently when your only "job" was a joke called "ACORN". You cannot attack your opponent's Bain Capital intelligently when you have no knowledge of all of the great american companies Bain has a part of and how many REAL jobs they provide. Most of us do business with these companies every day without knowing Bain played a part in their success. Instead of spouting "Bain Capital", as though it were a bad thing, over and over like a demented parrot, how about naming the names of the companies, people shop at every day, that were helped by Bain. . Google it sometime. You cannot criticize a REAL job creator when all you can personally stake claim to is creating more money wasting stumbling buffoon government jobs.("Fast and Spurious?" and "Czars" come to mind. Without his teleprompters to direct his words, his real-world experience simply does not have enough REAL content to provide REAL answers . . . I predict the next debate will be the same crushing defeat as the first one. The REAL versus the "wanna-be-real-but-never-was". I would like to hear a debate with Barry and Michelle against a couple of real attorneys with the topic being "Honesty in Legal Practices", since it is my understanding that both He and she were FORCED to give up their law degrees or face, I believe, corruption allegations. I believe with no teleprompters Romney will walk all over Obama like a doormat, since well, Romney has actually created real jobs and therefore can talk about them without someone "whispering in his ear". Whether Romney can do what he proposes is yet to be seen and far from proven, but what Obama has done so far is easily measured. Wouldn't it be great if teleprompters were banned from all politicians' public speeches and all of these people had to go before the public armed only with a list of "talking points" backed up only by their real world experience and knowledge. What a concept! Sure would make it easier for the public to sort the wheat from the chaff. Thanks Dad!

• MartinOctober 09, 2012 - 6:41 am

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."Thomas Jefferson

• CatherineOctober 09, 2012 - 2:12 pm

Martin, Jefferson didn't say this--it was contrived and attributed to him in 1986. Refer to www.monticello.org. Poor Thomas... so misunderstood...

• James E.October 09, 2012 - 4:13 pm

Mr. Jefferson has lost my respect -- in the current issue of Smithsonian magazine, his personal records note his making profit off newly born slave children. Feet of clay.

• DB SmithOctober 09, 2012 - 4:45 pm

There ya go Jimmy E.. Trying to keep the crap going! Why don't you try for just a moment to get over this kind of thing. Do something productive.

• R.J. CarterOctober 10, 2012 - 8:13 am

I still, and always will respect Thomas Jefferson... I never judge folks according to the single worst thing they may, or may not have done in their life without weighing-in the lifetime of good I know they did.....I understand at this point in the election opening a dialogue concerning the record of a President who died 180+ years ago is more beneficial to the left than acknowledging the record of our current President....If we go down that road, then Obama's record is National socialized medicine, support of Arab states over Israel and the narcissistic need to makeup flags and banners with his very own logo... Only one other politician in history did all those same things...I'll let you guess who.......

• R.J. CarterOctober 12, 2012 - 2:21 pm

As predicted, everyone got just what they expected out of Joe Biden during yesterdays debate with Paul Ryan...The polls all saw it as a draw, but of course the Dem's all say it was a win, maybe because Biden didn't end-up on top of the table swinging his shirt over his head. ...Meanwhile, both the GOP and Independents saw it as just plain bizarre and disturbing.....Contrasting Obama's meek performance last week, Binden came off as rude, over-bearing and mentally unstable, constantly interrupting Ryan while smirking and laughing with crazy head-gestures..... Even when the conversation turned to the death of our four American diplomats in Libya, Biden wasn't able to control his laughter...Yup folks, that's our Vice-President, I just hope he had a designated driver....

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 9:56 pm

R.J., I want to personally apologize to you for VP Biden being rude, overbearing, mentally unstable, interrupting while smirking and laughing with crazy hand and head gestures. I know you wished he would have been just as polite as President Obama. Did you really think he would be? After Mitt was rude, overbearing, interrupting with that fixed crazy grin, etc., etc. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment