Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Animal crossing area more dangerous

From page A5 | November 21, 2012 | 9 Comments

EDITOR: Sunday evening, my two daughters were involved in an accident eastbound Highway 50. It was just before the animal crossing that the state spent millions on, now possibly an area more dangerous than before. A large buck ran in front of their car and they struck it, causing significant damage to the car, but thankfully no personal injuries.

The buck must have been seriously injured but ran off. I am wondering if anyone is keeping statistics on the success or failure of this expensive project? Has the Department of Fish and Game been involved?

My dad tells me it against a deer’s nature to enter cavernous areas and they will be much more likely cross the freeway around the fencing, creating almost a funnel affect. Perhaps warning signs should be posted for drivers in those areas to be aware that they are more likely to encounter a deer there now. We now have an expensive deductible to repair the car, but are grateful the Lord protected our girls.

We would also like to know others are aware of the danger and don’t have a false sense of safety just because of the money spent on a tunnel that is more likely to be used for illicit purposes, trash, or homeless camps than for deer.

TRINA RIEPE

Placerville

• Phil VeerkampNovember 19, 2012 - 4:24 pm

Oh man . . . . . . . damn . . . . . good intentions . . . . .

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 8:16 am

Your daughters made the right choice by hitting the deer rather than trying to avoid it. People who attempt to miss animals in the road are the ones who get hurt. This time of year is the rut and bucks are moving with the does. They don't care about any tunnel. This is just another example of our government knowing best, with and endless supply of other peoples money to spend on what ever they can dream up. Expecting a buck to use the tunnel is like expecting bill clinton to practice marital fidelity.

• SparkyNovember 21, 2012 - 8:26 am

Most fences are no match for even young bucks and deer do not like confined spaces such as a long tunnel. A feel good waste of money by the newly re-branded CalWild aka DFG. @Cookie is absolutely correct about not swerving to avoid hitting animals particularly at higher speeds. Unfortunate, but true. Glad it worked out for your kids.

• RightONtheMONEYCookie65November 21, 2012 - 9:12 am

Well...let's see...How about the mountain lions using the new tunnel as a den and then the din din just comes to them? What the heck is ANYONE THINKING? How about a DEER fence to protect the entire freeway? (or at least a larger stretch of freeway thereby protecting more people and animals? NO....they have to protect a very small area, this just shows how stupid and complacent everyone has become these days. What a waste.

• gatopelonNovember 21, 2012 - 9:20 am

I think we could be done with all the speculation on whether this tunnel works or not? Hunting video cameras are cheap. One need to be installed at the tunnel and let's see if this tunnel is working?

• Sam RenlerNovember 21, 2012 - 5:38 pm

Your dad is wrong. Deer use the tunnel.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 6:19 pm

Trina, I remember 36 years ago when my family and I moved here to the hills. I had just bought a beautiful 76 CJ-5 from Thompsons. I had it only 4 days and as a previous flat-lander, instinctively I swerved for 3 deer on the highway. I had my seat belt on and rolled end over end for 300' down the cliff. The jeep landed on all 4's and the roll bar was bent below my neck and I only received a scratch on the neck. One of my lives gone in an instant. I didn't measure it but the tow truck driver said he was at the very end of his tow cable which was at the 300' mark. During the recovery tow, there were a couple of local boys that stopped to see what had happened. I of course told them and they said "you dumb sh*t", "you never swerve for a deer". "You hit it and then take it home and eat it"! I don't swerve anymore. I'm glad everyone is OK.

• Yancy davisNovember 22, 2012 - 8:50 am

Yes, but you are still a dumb sh*t.

• supercommuterNovember 22, 2012 - 10:43 pm

I've driven the tunnel area 6 days a week, (leaving at 5AM) for many years, and I have not seen one dead deer this year. Last year I remember an acumulation of 5 dead deer decompsing in the median at one time. I'm glad the tunnel is here. I've been here(and tahoe) all my life and have never hit an animal but then again I do try to avoid them.

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 45 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 11 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3