EDITOR: My beloved cat of 13 years died on Aug. 2 because of a household medicine. He had a sore on his head that was not healing, so I crushed one tablet of Ibuprofen and sprinkled it onto his food. For two days he vomited and was lethargic.
It later dawned on me that maybe it was the Ibuprofen that made him sick. I frantically Googled “Ibuprofen + cats.” I was panic-stricken when the search pulled up, “lethal to cats.” I had no idea. I’d given Ibuprofen to my dog, my kids and taken it myself.
After speaking to neighbors, relatives, coworkers, friends and my vet’s office, apparently this is a widespread occurrence. How come this is not common knowledge? Our society is well versed on “spay and neuter your pets,” but a few crushed flakes of Ibuprofen is lethal to cats? I had no idea. Why is there nothing in animal shelters, on Animal Planet television, or posters at the vet’s office’s warning against this?
My beautiful cat Sharkey now lies in a grave in my backyard, having suffered kidney failure due to ingestion of Ibuprofen. I have agonized at the loss of my little friend daily … a life that could have had several more years without my negligent action. I write this letter to the paper in hopes of saving a pet and pet owner the same grief and for me to feel my cat will not have died in vain.
Carson City, Nev.