Friday, April 18, 2014

Boone County — another view

EDITOR: An incredulous Mr. Garon asks the question of how the poor residents of Boone County, Kentucky, could vote Republican against their own self-interest.

I can see his point. People putting the good of the country ahead of their own self-interest is a scary thing. Such thinking is enough to strike fear in the hearts of liberals everywhere.

John F. Kennedy said, “Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.” Mr. Garon, another John, apparently takes the other view, basically saying ask not what you can to for your country but what can your country do for you.

You are right, Mr. Garon, the thought of people of modest means voting for people who want to promote their success independent of the government handing them other people’s money is scary. This has to be nipped in the bud. People cannot be allowed to live independent of government largesse. This frightening prospect could lead to people thinking of the government as their servant instead of being economically dependent on it for support as the drug addict is on the pusher for his support.

It just gets scarier and scarier. People freed from government dependence going through economic rehab, so to speak, and all of a sudden realizing that their grandkids’ future is being destroyed under a crushing load of unsustainable debt so that the liberals can borrow money to buy votes for themselves.

Mr. Garon is right; people need to vote their self-interest and be as dependent on the govrenment as possible so that the thought of the crime that is being committed against their grandchildren to finance their goodies won’t enter their minds and they’ll keep pulling that Democrat lever at the polls.

GEORGE ALGER

Placerville

• Phil VeerkampDecember 07, 2012 - 10:34 pm

Well said, Mr. Alger. HEAR, HEAR!!

• James E.December 08, 2012 - 7:26 pm

So people who are stuck in poverty should vote Republican because Republicans want to promote their success. Mr. Alger, how exactly would that work? Some details please. For example, would Republicans support their success if they opened a jewelry store or boutique serving other people stuck in poverty. Do you even know what it means to be stuck in poverty? You're poorly educated, you have no skills, you have no money, you have meager personal property, you have no hope, and you have no way out (unless you get help from others, and it won't be well-to-do Republicans who help you because you are in the dreaded 47%). Oh, you could join the Army (wait, you have to score at a certain level of intelligence, so they probably won't be taking you either). But here come the Republicans to lift you out of poverty as they promote your success -- whatever that means. So, people mired in poverty, vote Republican. Yes, that's the ticket.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 09, 2012 - 12:45 pm

Cone on, Colonel! You can do better than this. I'm looking forward to the publication of your next letter. Grandma and I are heading out on the road. Hurry.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 09, 2012 - 12:55 pm

. . . Come . . . .

• James E.December 09, 2012 - 1:20 pm

Phil, I have no control -- I submitted the letter and now awaiting the Mt.Democrat. It's a tiny letter, but I'm hoping it states a basic truth. Whether it's a letter with a large T or a little t truth depends on your reception and evaluation. I'm guessing the evaluation will be that it is no truth at all. Sometimes when I submit a letter they sit on it until they are desperate for letters to publish.

• James E.December 09, 2012 - 1:21 pm

ADDED: Oh, and it's not directly germane to Boone County.

• M. SchumannDecember 10, 2012 - 1:01 am

Your head has got too buried between someone’s cheeks to believe that you can spend yourself out of poverty. You can’t put your hand in one pocket and pull money from it and put it in the other pocket and say that you have accomplished a thing. I for sure am not rich but taxing the rich as I said before is like taking an eyedropper to a swimming pool and trying to empty it when they have a fire hose filling it. You need to sever the hose.

• cookie65December 10, 2012 - 6:55 am

Check the record James, the people who are stuck in poverty vote overwhelmingly for dems and have for generations. They vote for more government handouts and to deny it is intellectually dishonest.

• EvelynDecember 10, 2012 - 7:31 am

cookie: Though not addressing your generalization, I’m wondering if Kentucky’s recent general election results can be said to provide limited suggestive evidence. Kentucky, ranked 47th in the US by median household income, went 60.5% for Romney. Owsley County (location of the town of Booneville) is the poorest county in both Kentucky and the United States. It went 80.9% for Romney. The much more affluent Boone County: 68.4% Romney.

• RichardDecember 10, 2012 - 12:02 pm

Even their own Tea Party leadership agree, saying stupid things seem to be a way of life for the tea party; Dick Armey, former leader of the conservative group FreedomWorks, said most GOP candidates said "stupid things" that party leaders should have taught them to avoid saying. He said Republicans had a lot of candidates who did "dumb things" during their campaigns. Republicans had been hoping to win control of the Senate but ended up losing seats instead, and they lost strength in the House as well. Seems there’s a message here ………

• Jack MartinDecember 10, 2012 - 1:07 pm

No James. Your expressed views on the hopelessness of being mired in poverty are yours, not mine and not the views of most Americans. Poverty is a condition, but in this country, it need not be a state of mind as you expressed. But Progressive Liberals like yourself would like to make people believe it is, so they continue to depend on Big Brother. Keep your notions of poverty to yourself and let those of us who are interested in encouraging the poor to WORK their way out of it, do so. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program on Kenynesian Economics...

• James E.December 10, 2012 - 1:11 pm

Mr. Martin, for them to work themselves out of it there has to be jobs. Instead of jobs, the focus is on the deficit. Bad way to go.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 10, 2012 - 2:01 pm

LINK - CA School District Owes $1 Billion On $100 Million Loan

• cookie65December 11, 2012 - 6:31 am

Evelyn, many of the places that went 99% for obama are the poorest neighborhoods in the country and many of them had more votes than the entire state of Kentucky. They continue to vote for promises that never come. Which came first? The poverty that they live in or the fact that they are democrat voters?

• EvelynDecember 11, 2012 - 9:00 am

cookie: I can't begin to answer your chicken 'n egg question, and am more than loathe to become involved in the party political blame game. We (our country) have been on a downward trajectory for several decades, regardless of which of the two dominant political parties is in power. The villain as Democratic Party / Republican Party haggle blinds us to deeper dynamics. I believe that on the ground -- meaning, in the communities where our real day to day lives play out -- we have much in common. Fighting one another is a time/energy/resource waster. In another column Mike referenced Joe Bageant (now deceased) who wrote “Deer Hunting With Jesus”. Perhaps you would find thought provoking THIS 7.5 min. interview with Bageant done sometime before the 2008 election.

• James E.December 11, 2012 - 9:42 am

The egg had to come first. A full blown chicken just couldn't appear.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 11, 2012 - 9:49 am

I had eggs for breakfast. I had chicken for dinner. Go figure.

• DB SmithDecember 11, 2012 - 10:52 am

Evelyn: Normally I pretty much agree with your thoughts and admire your temperament but I will have to disagree with your statement that fighting one another is a time energy/waster. Over the last 4+ years I've observed the lack of civility with the left wing political machine and the so called news but in the end it looks like it's worked out pretty well for the Mack Daddy. I am now a firm believer in the old saying that "nice guys finish last". I'm not going to be a nice guy to these pukes anymore! Merry Christmas

• EvelynDecember 11, 2012 - 11:43 am

DB Smith: It's true that there's plenty of incivility; I don't mean to suggest that anyone should cave in on their principles. What people cherish they should stand behind and work for. It's just that trading insults is -- in my opinion -- terribly counterproductive. Perhaps the most concise summary of my belief (and I'm not the author): WHAT is right is more important than WHO is right. For most of us, that's not an easy position to observe; we're so accustomed to having to "win", no matter the cost. Overlooked in the course of most position battles is that each party carries some of the “truth”.

• EvelynDecember 11, 2012 - 11:46 am

P.S. I had to look up "Mack Daddy"!

• Jim RiordanDecember 11, 2012 - 11:49 am

Right on target Cookie 65 and Mr. Schumann

• cookie65December 11, 2012 - 1:40 pm

Right On DB, I am fighting for the future of my children and grandchildren. I refuse to left the commie leftists buckets of slime ruin this country. Civility left the argument a long time ago. I have seen the civility of the left, history records how many people have been murdered by that ideology. But it was for their own good.

• cookie65December 11, 2012 - 1:49 pm

Evelyn, my chicken and egg question is not meant to be answered. I usually ask it another way. Are they stuck in poverty because they have voted for dems for generations or have they voted for dems for generations because they are stuck in poverty? The answer is YES...both are true and it has done nothing for them, in fact things for them have gotten worse. At an even more rapid pace since zero was elected.

• EvelynDecember 11, 2012 - 2:25 pm

cookie: (1) Answering incivility with incivility will help? (Two negatives make a positive) (2) Can you demonstrate the logic by which you PROVE "yes" is the answer to both questions? [I'm not trying to "set you up". It's just that I think where we're at goes way beyond looking to one political philosophy as being THE ANSWER or the another political philosophy as being THE PROBLEM.]

• Ken SteersDecember 11, 2012 - 2:29 pm

Merry Christmas DB! Just remember this one thing. I never coined the phrase "fiscal cliff." If the '10 Obama tax cuts are allowed to sunset then there will be an across the board federal tax increase for most working people here in America. Also certain tax deductions will be re-enacted for a small percentage of our working class. I'd say the top 5%. On top of this, the Social Security Holiday will be lifted and raised to the full 6.8% again. Government spending will supposed to be cut, but I haven't seen that in my lifetime, so to sum up, the government will have to try to live with in it's means while the can won't be kicked anymore and the grandchildren that will have to pay for our past transgressions are our grandparents. I can live with that. I say take that Greece

• cookie65December 11, 2012 - 3:57 pm

Evelyn, people like me have been far too civil for far too long and allowed the left to run over the top of us with everything you and I can imagine. To the point where you can't name three things that you can do that the government has not involved itself in in one form or another. Enough already. They don't just need to be stopped, we need to role back about 30 years of liberlism to get back some sense if freedom. Like most people over the last 4 decades or so I have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes and everytime I turn around some leftist is tell my I am not paying my fair share. While the people who now outnumber me keep electing them and pay nothing. Sell civility to someone else, I am all sold out. Have you seen the story from bloomberg dot com where California spends most of its money on salaries, retirement payments and healthcare benefits for government workers? How much are we supposed to take? Have you seen the union mobs and thugs in Michigan? Al Capone would be proud. They will continue to use the power of government to confiscate and redistribute private property if we continue to be civil with them. They possess no morality or conscience. They need to be treated as such. They create generational poverty in order to advance their own power. And then blame everyone else for it. I don't support and don't belong to any party. I am an antileftist, I don't care what letter they have after their name.

• EvelynDecember 11, 2012 - 4:22 pm

cookie: Certainly I agree that government interference in our lives is unreasonably out of control and damaging to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The list of travesties is endless, and I'm sure we can agree on much of what would go on that list. Herewith I bow out restating two simple observations: (1) rudeness on these pages takes us nowhere near a solution; (2) attaching labels to people and ideas is no substitute for proper inquiry and analysis of our problems, institutions, and powers that are moving us along a very destructive path.

• DB SmithDecember 11, 2012 - 4:38 pm

In the observance of a legal burn day ~ I burned close to 4 yards of brush and storm debris today. In addition to keeping the property maintained, this of course was my feeble attempt to eliminate my new FORCED FIRE TAX. I hope I have offended any and all of my neighboring liberals that would accuse me of global warming. Kiss my fire Ash al gore!

• Ken SteersDecember 11, 2012 - 4:47 pm

Hey Phil! Take a look at "Richard" Boylan, http://www.alienscientist.com/forum/showthread.php?240-Dr.-Richard-Boylan-Convicted-Felon-and-Female-Molester. member of the Dem. Central Committee and as you well know endorsed by that committee to run for school board. Evelyn, these discussions are not new. The Progressives have been ruining our country for over 100 years now. They have never been civil. The problem is anyone can read Saul Alinsky's rules for radicals.

• DB SmithDecember 11, 2012 - 4:57 pm

Cookie and Ken ~ :) Sincere Merry Christmas to you and your's.

• cookie65December 11, 2012 - 5:52 pm

Thank you DB, same to you as well. Ken, I always love burn day. A couple of gallons of used motor oil makes great smoke signals.

• Kirk MacKenzieDecember 11, 2012 - 6:14 pm

Evelyn -- You had to try. I've been there, too, and found that it rarely does any lasting good. The reason seems to be that they enjoy the game; they do it just to get a reaction from people. The more/stronger reaction they get, the better they feel, and the more they post. The last thing they care about is persuading others with sound arguments.

• Ken SteersDecember 11, 2012 - 6:23 pm

Kirk, Evelyn, Merry Christmas!

• richardDecember 11, 2012 - 6:40 pm

Burning motor oil, excited about burning on no burn days, union mobs a thugs, they just need to be stopped, head buried between cheeks, its like dealing with unsupervised children……..

• DB SmithDecember 11, 2012 - 6:46 pm

Kirk, respectfully ~ you are s000 wrong. It's just this type of attitude that has got us where we are. Merry Christmas

• Kirk MacKenzieDecember 11, 2012 - 7:02 pm

Ken -- Yo Ho Ho, Merry Solstice.

• M. SchumannDecember 11, 2012 - 8:38 pm

Richard can’t take the c--p that they have been dishing out for the past four years. I will bet that you will be hearing a lot more from us senior kids before the end of this term. We have just begun, California is at the pinnacle of poor performance with out of control spending; the salaries and benefits that our government employees receive in comparison to the rest of the nation and the equal position private sector is a sin. Why would you think that us old kids would lay back and take this new world order lying down? We have worked hard all of our lives not to see this nation be torn apart by bunch of self righteous bifurcates that should be trying to unite the nation. They feel that we are not looking at future, not true. Life has been going on for eons and will continue with a little forethought you don’t have to have a 100 year plan because your plan will be worthless, you never know what is around the corner; you plan on one thing and something comes up that change it. What I am trying to say is be concerned about problems our nation is facing today not three decades down the road.

• James E.December 11, 2012 - 11:07 pm

Mr. Schumann, "why would you think that us old kids would lay back and take this new world order lying down?" Insurrection, sabotage, treason? What exactly do you have in mind? Dangerous talk during time of war. Or, perhaps you were just venting. Let us know.

• RichardDecember 12, 2012 - 12:08 am

Concerned about big salaries? Why don’t you start right here in El Dorado County, 500, 000.00 a year for three new county positions that according the Joe Harn the county auditor we can’t afford. There your good old boy republican buddies, if your so god damn mad, file a complaint with the Grand Jury, I’ll even help……

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15