Brrriiing … splat!

To the person who rang our doorbell and ran last Saturday after midnight: If you are between the ages of 10 and 12, this is age-appropriate behavior and I applaud your ability to sneak out at night without your parents knowing. I might have done the same at that age. But if you’re over 12, I just want to let you know that our home was burgled about six weeks ago, and we’re very eager to shoot the next person who attempts to rob us, so think twice before repeating this kind of prank.

Out in the country, and even in our rural suburb, anyone with an IQ over 80 knows that surprising folks at night can be very dangerous, and I’m not eager to clean anyone’s brains off my driveway. Besides, Sheriff’s deputies had to come out, and your parents should be billed for their efforts.

Lastly, if this was an attempt to attempt another robbery, get smart. The McMansions in El Dorado Hills contain far more jewelry, and some of it might even be real gold. Duh!

CATHERINE MONE
Placerville

• Jim RiordanApril 26, 2013 - 11:08 am

Mrs. Mone. I sympathize with you on your home being broken into and I hope our Sheriffs are able to catch the pukes. I am not an attorney however, I do have knowledge of Firearms training. Sad but true, it is not "just cause" to shoot some puke even if you catch them walking out the door with your TV. They would end up owning your house. Only if they have a weapon and threaten you with it can you use equal force to stop them. Just a kindly meant heads up. Keeping a camera next to your firearm is not a bad idea. Then you can use whichever is appropriate. . . or both.(;>)

• chrispytahoeApril 26, 2013 - 12:33 pm

Uhhh... you are threatening to KILL someone? You do not sound so smart.

• Leonard PikeApril 26, 2013 - 2:17 pm

Wow! This is exactly why there needs to be more education and background checks for gun ownership. I might add an emotional maturity IQ test. Just another hint: Check out the equal force law. Possessions are not worth a human life, especially innocent 12 year olds or other children. Kids beware on Gold Hill Rd!

• CatherineApril 26, 2013 - 5:04 pm

Oh, you guys are way too serious. We're not nuts, but I see my humor was too subtly mixed with my anger. Doorbell ringing before breaking and entering is exactly the technique being used this spring by real thieves, so I sincerely doubt it was innocent 12-year-olds (unless they have cars and can speed off in a minute).

• James E.April 26, 2013 - 5:57 pm

Burglars are interesting. They want your jewels, cash, and big TV -- but they don't want their victims to be home. This is why most burglars like to work during the day while people are at work. Given that, a burglar who enters your home in the dark of night wants your goods and won't mind harming you if you wake and get in their way. So, Catherine, the key is that you fire because you are in fear of your life. But, don't shoot center of mass, use your firearm skills to get him (we always assume burglars are male) in both elbows and both knees. OK, I'm kidding. When in fear of your life center of mass always. I recall in Sacramento a few years back, a burglar entered a home and struggled with the wife and then advanced towards a bedroom where a retired Lieutenant Colonel (Air Force, I think) was resting. When the burglar opened the bedroom door he was met by a bullet right between the eyes. No charges brought because the husband and wife were in fear of their life. So being in fear of your life is the key. Enjoy.

• CatherineApril 26, 2013 - 6:17 pm

James, You made me smile. The other commentors have evidently forgotten that I'm a "leftist," as the cookie monster likes to say, and we aren't much good at killin' folks (nobody though Brrriiing... Splat! was funny?). But you bet I'd be fearing for my life if anyone broke in, and I doubt I'd take time to snap their portrait. Center of mass. Got it.

• Ken SteersApril 26, 2013 - 8:21 pm

Catherine, One night at roughly 3 am alarms in my house went off. My dogs were barking wildly. I quickly checked the camera and to my astonishment there were individuals stalking around my property. I ran to the front door with my pistol in my hand. When I opened it there stood a hooded gentleman carrying a gun standing right in front of me. My pistol was aiming right at his head. He stood there frozen, caught dead to rights. At that moment I heard a faint laugh coming from someone off in the distance. Right then I realized that these were children. With air soft rifles vandalizing my house and property. I said to him run. They did. If you plan on using a fire arm for home protection. Take full precaution. Keep your wits because lives are at stake. Regarding your leftist cookie monster comment. I'd have to disagree. Jared Laughner, James Holmes, Seung ho-Chui,Adam Lanza and Chris Dorner off the top of my head are all self described Left Wingers. And I must say pretty good at kill'en folks. Don't sell your group short. If murdering becomes an Olympic event your party is gett'en gold. No sense of humor what so ever but great at killing people. And gerbils.

• MelodyApril 26, 2013 - 10:47 pm

Catherine's point is well made about guns. A few years ago I was shot at in my own front yard by 2 guys in a white pick up truck. When the responding deputy showed up he commented, "I advise all citizens keep a gun loaded & handy in the event the Sheriff can't respond in time. We've only got one deputy to cover 350 square miles on the Georgetown Divide and it's only going to get worse." A few months later my neighbors dog was frantically barking an alarm in the wee hours. Very uncharacteristic for no one to put a stop to the racket. Thinking it was perhaps a burglary I called the Sheriff to investigate and they refused to respond. Racket continued so I called dispatch again and said I'd go over there myself with a loaded shotgun to see what was amiss. That got their attention. A half hour later my doorbell rang before 5 AM, so I answered the door with my shotgun in hand. There stood a very surprised deputy--the same deputy who said ALL citizens should keep their guns loaded & handy.

• MelodyApril 26, 2013 - 11:00 pm

Forewarned is forearmed. Another burglary tactic everyone should be aware, and especially women, is a diversion tactic much like ringing the doorbell. Twice in the past year someone turned on an outdoor water spigot in the middle of the night leaving their signature indicating that it wasn't a freak accident. Last time I received an email alert warning of this exact ruse. The idea is that the unsuspecting homeowner will simply go outside UNARMED to shut off the spigot. That's when they will be accosted, incapacitated and then burglarized.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 6:57 am

Leftists can own dogs too. Gov moonbeams realignment should have emptied the animal shelters. All the criminals he released back on the people who elected him won't bother with a house with a dog. Dogs have different barks for different reasons. I can tell from my dogs barks if they are just roughhousing with each other or if someone is coming to the house that they know or if it is someone they don't know. Keeping an obama sign in your yard could also work as a deterrent. In stead of targeting your house they would target your mailbox instead.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 7:00 am

The crash-test-dummy recommends you just shoot them through the door with a 12 gauge shotgun. Or blast a couple of holes in your ceiling in order to scare them off.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 7:24 am

I always struggle with the logic that would lead someone to support government sponsored thievery (leftism) and at the same time want to protect their own stuff with deadly force.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 8:19 am

Cookie, if you use deadly force to protect your stuff you face arrest and conviction. Deadly force only justified if you fear for your life. I'm sure most of us (right or left) never want to face the situation of having to save one's own life with deadly force. Shooting someone is traumatic, needless to say, but better him (her) than me if it comes down to life or death. But, enough of this talk of shooting and killing. Back to civilian pursuits of national or state politics, BOS funny stuff, and local sports.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 8:41 am

James, do you think the Kings are moving to Seattle? I do. I am not an NBA fan. The only Kings game I ever went to was when Larry Bird was still playing and me and a friend almost got arrested.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 8:44 am

From the letter James. " I just want to let you know that our home was burgled about six weeks ago, and we’re very eager to shoot the next person who attempts to rob us,"

• DB SmithApril 27, 2013 - 8:59 am

Sorry to hear that Cookie. Hope they catch the basturds. I was burgled about 40 yrs ago in Richmond. Took my guitar, amp. and recording equipment while the Dobermans were in the backyard. The house never felt the same for quite awhile. I eventually found out who did it and was lucky I didn't end up going to jail.

• Ken SteersApril 27, 2013 - 9:26 am

Isn't it funny how the Leftist mind works? Catherine Mone of Placerville is willing and feels comfortable to direct criminals to rob homes in El Dorado Hills. No shame, no guilt, no integrity. Obviously she has a moral equivalency justification problem.

• cookie65April 27, 2013 - 10:29 am

It wasn't me DB, it was a quote from the letter. My dogs aren't the only thing in my house armed to the teeth. Ken, leftism and morals are mutually exclusive. To them what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs. I went to my local hardware store the other day for a couple of things. I gave the kid at the counter a hundred and he shorted my change $10, so I fanned out the bills on the counter for him to see. He saw his mistake right away and apologized. So I joked with him that is was ok since I went to school before the started teaching the new math. As we laughed I could feel the darts in my back from the person in line behind me. I went to the parking lot and the only other car was one of those with the entire rear of the car covered in bumper stickers. You know the type where the brain dead leftists declare their moral superiority. They had the obama stickers, the hope and change stickers, the co-exists stickers, the go-green stickers, the anti-capitalism stickers, the eat-the-rich stickers, the I love obamacare stickers and all the rest of the identity-crisis-aren't-I-special stickers. And they had all the anger and rage of the typical braindead leftist.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 10:34 am

Cookie, Kings to Seattle? Probably 60% to 40% they are moving. Just hope the Maloofs will be moving -- they seem a tad weasels so happy to see them go. Nevertheless, hope the team stays under new ownership so support people don't lose jobs.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 10:39 am

Cookie, brand new $100 bills on October 8th!! Were I rich I'd spend nothing but brand new bills. Bet when the new bills come out the clerks will be super reluctant to take them. Change is hard.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 10:46 am

ADDED: I have no stickers on my car. Both sides sin in this -- when last at the Vets my little girl (Chihuahua, not human) had a growth cut off her ear, and there was a man and a women in full jungle battle dress. When I left I noted their car. Republican and Tea Party stickers. Do they dress that way to be ready for the war with the government?

• CatherineApril 27, 2013 - 10:46 am

Melody thanks; stuff does happen and I appreciate the tip on water being turned on. Ken, please go back to working for the Republican party; they need your wisdom and moral leadership. James, I'll try to think of something interesting on the political side. Might be tough, but I'll try.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 11:06 am

ADDED AGAIN: Of course they could have either returned or were going to a hunting trip so weren't planning to engage the government in a fire fight.

• Ken SteersApril 27, 2013 - 11:48 am

Catherine, Would you like to challenge me with a game based on wisdom and moral leadership?

• DB SmithApril 27, 2013 - 12:28 pm

Cookie, I'm glad it wasn't you. I've called off the posse and the hound dogs for now.

• AnthonyApril 27, 2013 - 12:57 pm

I'm not sure what there is to struggle with from the left wing viewpoint. The "thievery" you refer to is authorized by both Article 1 Section 8 of the US Constitution, as well as the 16th amendment. Now if you want to conclude that the United States Constitution is a left wing document, that is fine by me. Taxation is legal and constitutional. Robbery is a crime. All of us regardless of political view want to protect our homes and families against criminal attack , and this liberal has two Bersa .380 ACP pistols (his and hers) to prove it

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 2:11 pm

The King who quit his job over love always used new bills. What class -- "Here's a new bill. Oh, change with those nasty old bills? Please, just keep the change." My kind of guy (or King or Prince?). Are we finished with the Q-Tip/pepper spray saga and the gross lack of judgment to make a public statement that it was humane? DB cannot stop thinking about radioactive poop and I cannot stop thinking of county officials (management and law enforcement) that would do something so stupid. Yes, stupid.

• Ken SteersApril 27, 2013 - 3:40 pm

Anthony, please buy a better pistol to protect your home. Bersa is bottom end. I can't recommend the .380 caliber either. I suggest for you the colt 45 ACP 1911. And a lady colt 38 for your wife. And a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

• rodApril 27, 2013 - 7:42 pm

Yeh .380 AP good for a belly ache, 9MM better, and 12 GA with 000 buck is the very best, especially at night. Just the sound of chambering a round in a slide action shotgun is usually enough to induce a 180 degree turn for any intruder with average hearing. YES you can defend your property. You can walk on your property with a weapon. You can confront someone stealing your wheels in your drive way, BUT you can only shoot them if you claim you 'feared for your life" ...AND THEY HAD THE MEANS TO HARM YOU... (like a tire iron, knife or...) so ALWAYS carry an extra tire iron or knife when out n about.

• James E.April 27, 2013 - 8:18 pm

Rod, you should know in the law that a fist is considered a deadly weapon. So while a tire iron is nice, you can fear for your life of being beaten to death if your attacker has fists. So, no need to plant false evidence. Just go with the flow, as in "he rushed towards me wild eyed with his fists clenched and I thought he was going to beat me to death. I feared for my life."

• rodApril 27, 2013 - 8:46 pm

I'll buy that

• Ken SteersApril 28, 2013 - 7:40 am

Rod, In the real world the fear for your life excuse because of the fist, might not cut it. George Zimmerman is evidence to that. Always carry a spare tire iron

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 8:25 am

What the Zimmerman case proves is that you cannot shoot a person armed with only a box of skittles, who saw himself as a victim of a crime by calling 911, then claim self defense. Mr. Zimmerman is exactly where he belongs, in jail awaiting trial.

• DB SmithApril 28, 2013 - 8:52 am

Anthony, Unless you're clairvoyant and blessed w/psychic abilities, how can you say Zimmerman belongs in jail? Do you know what really happened between Martin and Zimmerman? Obama thinks he is clairvoyant and blessed w/psychic abilities just like you. Remember when he said "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon". Totally inappropriate! If Obama ever had a son it would probably end up in a shoebox in a chopshop.

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 9:06 am

The Florida criminal justice system has determined that Mr. Zimmerman belongs in jail. It does not require any psychic ability to trust that the authorities in Florida are the people best suited to determine where Mr. Zimmerman belongs.

• DB SmithApril 28, 2013 - 9:19 am

My physic tells me it had a lot to with a president's comments, racial issues and the baby pictures the media provided. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 9:29 am

Anthony - - - LINK - "only" a box of skittles???

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 9:45 am

unless you are aware of evidence that no one else, including the local police, knows about, all the video shows is a man with a bloody nose, an injury easily inflicted with a fist by someone fighting (in vain) for their life. the facts in evidence to date conclude that Trayvon Martin was unarmed. so yes, ONLY a box of skittles.

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 9:31 am

bold off

• DB SmithApril 28, 2013 - 9:59 am

Do you think maybe baby face skittles was beating the sh*t out of him and trying to take the gun away? I don't know if he's guilty or not but it seems pretty obvious that you've made your mind up. Innocent until proven guilty!

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 10:09 am

the fact that you refuse to offer Mr. Martin the basic courtesy of referring to him by his name indicates that you have already reached some conclusions yourself. yes, we are all presumed innocent which is why I do refer to the accused as Mr. Zimmerman, and not trigger-happy ground-stander.

• DB SmithApril 28, 2013 - 10:20 am

Where in the hell did you trigger happy from? My conclusion is Mr. Skittles is dead, Mr. Zimmerman is awaiting trial and Mr. Anthony should never be allowed to be a juror. Have a great day. I've got chores to do.

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 10:27 am

Anthony, how do you explain Zimmerman's injury? Evidence? Reports? links? Do you offer anything other than your faith based explanation?

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 10:48 am

This is why we have a trial, so that all of the facts, including the origin of Mr. Zimmerman's injuries can be determined. My conclusions are no more "faith based" than those who claim that Mr. Martin essentially got what he deserved.

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 10:44 am

Well I am not a lawyer, but I tend to think that anyone who refers to the deceased as "Mr. Skittles" would be excused from the jury pool as well. You have a great day as well. No chores for me today. I am on vacation visiting my family on the east coast. Plenty to do when I get back. Putting up a new back yard fence is at the top of the list. Sure wish our Placerville Home Depot offered truck rental...

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 10:50 am

Anthony, almost EVERYTHING originally reported on the "interaction" (sorry) between Mr. Martin and Mr. Zimmerman was wrong. The injuries to Zimmerman were real. They were NOT reported. Open up, Anthony.

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 12:41 pm

Anthony - to me at least this does not seem like the strategy of a guilty man - - -LINK - MIAMI — George Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the killing of Trayvon Martin, is all but certain to take his case directly to a jury on June 10 and skip a highly anticipated pretrial self-defense hearing, his lawyer said Tuesday.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 28, 2013 - 2:37 pm

Phil -- Choosing not to go through a Self Defense hearing suggests Mr Zimmerman (rather his lawyer) can't prove self defense. Here's the 911 call from Mr Zimmerman...he pursued Mr Martin with preconceived notions and intent to confront (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCvr9V2pig). Put yourself in Mr Martin's position and tell us how you would respond.

• Phil VeerkampApril 28, 2013 - 4:30 pm

Kirk, hopefully the justice system produces . . . . justice.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 28, 2013 - 4:50 pm

"Justice System"? I wish...hopefully our Legal System will produce...justice.

• cookie65April 28, 2013 - 9:54 pm

Anthony, you asked a question about government thievery and I think it was directed at me. You attempted to sound intelligent but I know you are only repeating all the nonsense you have been trained to believe. I have one question. Which of the founding fathers was it who believed the purpose of the constitution was so the government could confiscate 50% of a persons wealth as an inheritance tax?

• cookie65April 28, 2013 - 10:06 pm

Anthony I realize you know nothing of the history of your leftists utopia but take a look at its future. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cubas-young-see-bleak-future-many-want-leave-053525967.html

• AnthonyApril 28, 2013 - 10:41 pm

cookie65, Article 1 Section 8 and Amendment 16 authorize Congress to determine how taxes are assessed. Nowhere is there any mention of what percentages are permissible. That is up to Congress. You may not personally approve of the rate of taxation but it does not change the fact that it is Congress which has the Constitutional authority to determine taxation rates. As far as Cuba is concerned, since I said nothing about Cuba, and have nothing but contempt for the dictatorship which governs that country, you really should learn to avoid making erroneous assumptions. Finally, as far as your condescending comments about me personally ( sound intelligent, trained to believe nonsense, etc.), I will paraphrase what my high school debate teacher used to tell me many moons ago. You know you have won the battle of ideas when the facts support your opinions. When the rebuttal consists of insults, your opponent knows it too.

• cookie65April 29, 2013 - 6:07 am

Anthony, I saw some of your insults earlier in this thread. You called someone a useless idiot. You still didn't answer my question. If you want to talk about the Constitution, it established 3 branches of government, we are now at 600+ agencies and counting. Let me ask the question another way. Is a 50% inheritance tax confiscation or not? I guess according to your logic there are no limitations on government. When people receive what they did not earn it comes from people who didn't receive what they did earn. Does the word theft exist in your vocabulary? Or does the general welfare clause give government permission to do anything it wants?

• AnthonyApril 29, 2013 - 10:02 am

cookie65, the insult I posted was a direct response to being called a "useful idiot" laced with comments about eating paint chips and smearing diapers. You criticize my reply but say not a word about the crudeness which I was responding to. I am happy to debate issues with a civil tone. However when someone rhetorically spits in my face, I have no hesitation about spitting right back. As far as your questions, no 50% taxation is not confiscation when that tax rate is enacted by legislation that is lawfully passed by Congress and signed by the President of the United States. Of course "theft" is in my vocabulary. However theft is a crime. No matter how much you might personally disagree with taxation policy, the current tax rates are not crimes. They are in place due to lawful legislation. I think government needs to be big enough to serve as the only marginally effective counter measure to the influence of corporations. You speak of the growth of the number of government agencies, but you omit the growth of corporations where a handful of organizations control our entire lives. When the Constitution was ratified, we did not have a single corporation (Monsanto) controlling agricultural products. We did not have a single corporation (Archer Daniels Midland) profiting from nearly every loaf of bread sold in the country. Those are two of the most obvious examples. Three corporations (credit bureaus) dictate whether or not a lender will finance the purchase of your home. As long as corporations have such influence in our lives, I want a government large enough to offset their influence, regardless of how many federal agencies are required to do so. In 21st century America, unlike 18th century America, it is often impossible to "take your business elsewhere" as a means of punishing a corporation that does not satisfy your needs. If I am going to be a captive customer (AT&T up here in Grizzly Flats is the only game in town for phone service for instance), I want a government big enough to represent my interests when the interests of AT&T conflict with mine.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 29, 2013 - 7:24 am

Anthony -- Your debate teacher was right. I wonder how s/he would complete this sentence: Responding in-kind to crazy is _____. Many more people read this stuff than post, and most of them are relatively sane. Keep up the good work and stay out of the muck.

• AnthonyApril 29, 2013 - 10:07 am

thanks Kirk. I try to keep my cool in these forums and not write anything that I would not say to a stranger face-to-face. but I admit, I will respond in kind when called for. I will reconsider whether or not that is the best approach. maybe just ignoring people like Mr. Gibney would be more productive. I do find it interesting that two other people saw fit to criticize my response, but not the original post about eating paint chips and smearing diapers which was directed at me and which triggered my response. partisan blinders are quite effective I suppose.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 29, 2013 - 10:30 am

Anthony -- one concept that made a huge difference in how I approach this stuff is the realization that there is an element of truth embedded in just about every opinion. Sometimes it's hard to sort through the non- and anti- sense that surrounds it, but it's usually there. For instance, there is some truth the the notion that our government has grown too big, and does much harm to the people.

• DB SmithApril 29, 2013 - 11:11 am

Anthony, I know what you mean about the "captive customer". I'm not real happy with the guy you helped get elected twice. We're now on the starting line of being captive to Obamacare. I doubt that big government will allow me to pay my current premium or to take my business elsewhere. According to your words, you shouldn't be too happy either.

• DB SmithApril 29, 2013 - 11:12 am

Kirk, Don't be such a fuddy-duddy.