Closing of Hangtown Haven

I used to be proud of my hometown — a place that cared about the less fortunate and was held up as an example of the good that can be done at the local level. Today I am disgusted with Placerville’s mayor, city council and members of the business community who have all turned their backs on the most vulnerable just as the weather is getting cold and the holidays are approaching. My mother (in her eighties) spends most Thursdays helping prepare meals for anyone in need at the Upper Room. What are you doing to help Madam Mayor?

Are any of you really surprised that more homeless came to a town where they thought they might find hope and compassion? You would do the same in their shoes. Certainly, there may be petty theft. I challenge each one of you to spend a few nights on the street with an empty belly and little or no money in your pocket and see how long it is before you consider theft yourself. These things mean we need to help more — not less.

I know there are still many good people in Placerville and I encourage you all to give your holiday spending money to the local charity of your choice rather than spend your dollars at the businesses that think only of their profits and not how they too can help men, women and children in desperate need.

Madam Mayor — I hope you sleep soundly in your spacious, warm home tonight.

TAMMARA EKNESS NORTON
Winters

• Eddie EbacherNovember 19, 2013 - 7:31 am

I lived in a tent for 2 years B4 I got a house. I saw for myself how it is at The CRC and Hangtown Haven I am still the Secretary treasuer of Hangtown Haven. You would THINK most of these folks would WANT a house or a job TRUST ME most of them dont want that. they want FREE DRUGS and BEER no resosibility for anything They act WORSE than animals,MY main question is WHERE IS ALL THE DONATED MONEY where did it go and WHO has control of the Account??? The REAL board of directors were the ones who set this whole thing up. ONLY to Have it Stolen by Ron Sachs.. I am one of the Original Board Before it was Stolen by Ron Sachs..contactme at hangtownhaven@gmail.com

• Fran DuchampNovember 19, 2013 - 7:49 am

Eddie...I dont believe your story. Mostly because the Haven is gone--why pick on it now? I dont think someone who fought to get a "home" after two years would talk about the homeless in general. Shrugging shoulders...you can contact "make right it." Or the many lawyers working on behalf of the homeless-to help find those donations. No one drank wine? Probably not--that would be bad publicity in wine country. Well I hope you find your answers. LawHelpca.org http://lawhelpca.org/issues/public-benefits/homelessness-1

• Lori CrawfordNovember 20, 2013 - 4:46 am

I challenge any one of you to go to the 'little church' and catch the bus to stay the night in the nomadic shelter, or even to enjoy a meal at the Upper Room, before you pass judgements, hang out with some of these people, talk to them, get to know them, homeless or not, they are your neighbors. The Upper Room serves a hot meal everyday between 4:00 and 5:30. have a cup of coffee and mingle.

• Vicci NolanNovember 20, 2013 - 7:18 am

Beautiful letter, Tammara. Well said.

• kggNovember 20, 2013 - 8:17 am

thank you tammara. peace to you.

• janeNovember 20, 2013 - 8:48 am

You "people" would not last a week being homeless.

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 9:04 am

I lasted more than that...and in Mexico at the age of 16. Humans have more strength than they think. Jane--please know your audience before you attack. Public Speaking 101

• ughNovember 20, 2013 - 9:13 am

Eddie- I agree with you 100%. I'm in awe in how many people have opinions on this matter and are completely ignoring your story. Is it because this will validate what we've ( as in the people who don't support hh) been saying this whole time? I know a homeless man who won't even eat after the other homeless people at the upper room. Why? Because they don't wash. They cough and snot all over, not covering their mouth. And they really do act like animals, not humans. This homeless man spends every dollar he makes on beer, cigarettes, and gas to get his cans for more beer, cigarettes, and gas. It's his life he's chosen. I'm in hopes that upper Broadway and Smith flat will get their peace back. Not that it was perfect, you still have hangtown motel, upper room, the new "church", and the new recycling center. But hopefully PD will help clear out the disrespectful, germ spending, pooping and peeing everywhere, drug addict, alcoholic, walking std, smelly riff raff who have all bombarded that area. Good for you Eddie for straitening up your life and choosing a different way. I am always happy to hear when someone has made positive steps in their life for overall spiritual growth.

• kggNovember 20, 2013 - 9:41 am

ugh wrote: "Not that it was perfect, you still have hangtown motel, upper room, the new “church”, and the new recycling center." kgg wrote: yes, God forbid that two legimate businesses, a church and a non profit exist in your universe.

• SFRNovember 21, 2013 - 5:44 pm

kgg the upper room, the "church" and the upper room are the biggest problems on broadway. The "church" threatened legal action.based on the catch all "religous freedom" and is now the gathering place for deadbeats. The recycling center is no more than Bank of Bums for copper and aluminum thieves who enable the drunks. The upper room does serve meals but at what cost. I would contribute to a meals on wheels for the elderly and disabled but NOT bums who are either running from the law or child support payments and breeding the next generation of prison inmates. That is not legitimate in my world. Read the text of the CUP for the "church" and you will see that they have violated the conditions. E.G. all activities are to be held indoors. there are loiterers there all day long in the parking lot. The health and safety of the area.: You still have to dodge them driving up broadway. The safety example is quite obvious just reading the police stats. The camp ground is still full of garbage, why is the "council" not there to help pick it up ?i know why it's because they used it now they'll move on to find some where else to trash.

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 9:18 am

Im still waiting for the vids Eddie.

• ughNovember 20, 2013 - 9:57 am

Kkg, you are as ignorant as they come. Please, move the homeless to your house. Fran won't. Oh wait, she's a renter of 7 years and is not allowed to have permanent guests. Please! Hh supporters! I know you have room at your house to help the homeless!!!! I'll even advertise it for you! Addresses, all I need are addressed!

• ughNovember 20, 2013 - 10:01 am

Pardon me, kgg. My bad.

• Lori againNovember 20, 2013 - 11:31 am

ugg, you say Fran is a renter of 7 years like it's a bad thing. Sounds to me like she is holding her own. Again, grab a dinner or a coffee at the Upper Room and please see for yourself. I volunteer there and have met some wonderful, and not so wonderful, neighbors. Sometimes when people are down on their luck all it takes is some friendly conversation or someone to share a cup of 'soup kitchen' coffee to keep them moving in the right direction, can you be that person? And to everyone saying, why don't YOU offer up your property? I would if I could, not in that good of a situation myself, which is why I volunteer. What you should be asking is, 'What can I do?'

• ughNovember 20, 2013 - 11:48 am

Lori- I have! I opened up my home and let a homeless man stay in my garage. I've brought firewood to homeless camps. I've given them, jackets, sleeping bags, food, tarps, ect. I continue too do what I can. What my point in all this is, there has been a huge increase of homelessness, crime, loitering, pan handling, and what ever else you want to include. Not that hangtown haven was a bad idea, what came with it was something fierce. And not in a good way. I know many homeless people, and they choose to drink and do drugs. Yes there is mental illness, but it is magnified with drugs and alcohol. It's called self medicating. And enabling them is not doing then any favors. What's happened is every Tom dick and Harry have heard that placerville is the place to be if you're homeless. The people that choose to live a healthy and responsible lifestyle should not be burdened by the ones that don't. Broadway and Smith flat residents had no say in the matter and they have been through hell because of it.

• PeteFebruary 23, 2014 - 1:55 pm

I was wondering what the area (Broadway adjacent) is like now after the Hangtown Haven shut down last year. Are there still homeless people hanging around trespassing and vandalizing residents nearby? I'm considering moving to a nearby place... Thanks.

• SHNovember 20, 2013 - 12:00 pm

I'm getting sick of the articles and letters bashing Placerville for hating the homeless. Placerville does not hate the homeless - Placerville did a wonderful thing by offering this TEMPORARY trial run to see if this would be successful. And it was successful- great! But it was temporary. Everybody knows this. They had an entire YEAR to find a new location but they sat on their hands - this is very sad, but not the city’s fault. The HH was ended not because the people or the city do not have compassion for the homeless (if that was the case, it wouldn’t have existed in the first place) it's over because the location is terrible and bad things were happening to homeowners. Don't trivialize it by saying it was just 'petty theft'. Transients were taking a dump and whacking off in someone’s yard- their HOME. This should not be tolerated. Ok, so it wasn’t a HH resident – but we all agree that the Haven was attracting more transients so like it or not the problems are a direct result of the Haven. It’s not only the homeless that matter here – the homeowners matter too. Not wanting someone to krap and whack off in my yard does not mean I hate homeless people. If you are ok with the problems that came with the Haven then stop blaming the city, stop blaming the mayor, stop blaming the homeowners – YOU do something about it. I challenge you to ‘be the change you want to see’ and YOU can offer your yard to the Haven. Until you are willing to live with it – literally in your backyard – shut up about it.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 20, 2013 - 12:38 pm

SH: You said it the way it needs to be said!

• LpNovember 20, 2013 - 2:17 pm

Yes! Well said SH!

• Smith flat residentsNovember 20, 2013 - 2:22 pm

Could not have said it any better thank SH

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 3:24 pm

SH "The PDA plans to host a town hall type of meeting with a representative from Benjamin Moore early in 2014 to answer questions before the painting begins in April." http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/paint-what-matters-slowly-gearing-up/ I plan to be there...I thought bringing some of these articles would be good...since Brad Pitt is sponsoring this program as well as "the Make it right" program. SShhhhh they are also big wine people..".Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie's Wine Named Best Rosé in the World" Wow one bad thought from them....umm interesting. See everyone at the meeting.

• Dee#1November 20, 2013 - 3:46 pm

Fran, if I had realized that Brad Pitt, etcetera, was involved with the painting project, I never would have voted for it. Thank you for taking away some feel good emotions by making the project just another way to promote division in the community and your personal politics. Be sure to make a pretty scrapbook of those articles and give them to the head of the project. Hey, maybe they will cancel the project.

• Dee#1November 20, 2013 - 3:52 pm

One consequence of the constant complaining about HH closing, is that no one in their mind will try another experiment in helping these people. The blow back is just too vigorous. Just remember,"No good deed goes unpunished."

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Dee...if I thought for a moment that using "grants" by the city was from the heart--I would say I was sorry. However the city wont even listen to the people WHO DO NOT WANT THE ROUNDABOUT' And Dee I could make that happen right now--allowing another place such as Venice--who is known for its Arts culture to have a chance at it.. People wrote in about the heritage of the place to win. I am the one that said to let the Haven die in peace...yet others keep bringing it back up. This place is either preserving its heritage or it is not. If it is not...then it is lying for money--grant money. There are honest people applying for the same money. Just as people read and post here--all the big papers do the same....just copy the links...and put it in other papers. The city marketed this as the first legal homeless campsite....they got the warm and fuzzies from it. You can not market lies--they come back at you. and if people are going to keep blaming the Haven--I will keep saying the same things. If you lose the painting and publicity...not on me. Hire someone who knows how to market a place.

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 5:05 pm

Dee...it is already in the LA times Did you want it to go viral? California campground for the homeless is forced to shut down The site — believed to be the state's only self-governing camp for homeless people — closes, leaving dozens displaced. http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-hangtown-haven-20131116,0,5549757.story#ixzz2lEnsBlRl

• Fran DuchampNovember 20, 2013 - 5:09 pm

"The local timber mill closed in 2009, and Gold Rush-inspired tourism, the town's lifeblood, remains depressed".<----Pollock Pines. Heads up the film industry is watching. http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-hangtown-haven-20131116,0,5549757.story#ixzz2lEocxmEh

• NarfNovember 21, 2013 - 10:01 am

KCRA news: Controversial IT companies team up for $500M job in California. or "Who really profits from social services".

• Fran DuchampNovember 21, 2013 - 10:40 am

The link for the IT company...http://tinyurl.com/l6xfsbj

• NarfNovember 21, 2013 - 10:50 am

companies?

• Vicci NolanNovember 21, 2013 - 11:08 am

• middle manNovember 21, 2013 - 11:30 am

Sympathy...........fading........fast..........

• cookie65November 21, 2013 - 11:22 am

If you need lots of homeless people around to be proud of where you live then I suggest any one of the many metropolitan areas that have had leftist dem leadership for decades. You can feel all warm and fuzzy while you step over those passed out in doorways and negotiate your way thru the shopping carts. San Francisco recently passed a city ordinance that prohibits people from sitting on park benches and city buses without something between their unclothed rear ends and the public seats. Best of luck to you, don't forget to keep some antibacterial sanitation wipes in your pocket.

• GARMANNovember 21, 2013 - 11:36 am

Stay to the left arrive in detroit drive safely.

• Fran DuchampNovember 21, 2013 - 12:30 pm

vicki...this guy wrote his own song...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvaitajcPrU

• Fran DuchampNovember 21, 2013 - 12:35 pm

Tracy chapman...discovered singing on the streets. "Don't you know, talking 'bout a revolution sounds like a whisper / when they're standing in the welfare lines." "Chapman's song "Fast Car" also brings awareness to the struggles of poverty, with lyrics such as: I know things will get better / you'll find work and I'll get promoted / we'll move out of the shelter / buy a bigger house and live in the suburbs" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO9Qa7MpAvw You want to make noise hire a politician...you want to make lots of noise--find an artist.

• cookie65November 21, 2013 - 12:52 pm

Someone should write a song about life on the dem plantation. 50 years of voting for the same political party and 50 years of going backwards on the socioeconomic scale. And every other scale. I have the first verse.... I owe my soul to the democrat store.....

• Fran DuchampNovember 21, 2013 - 1:06 pm

Hello Cookie...the thing about you is you balance me. Two sides of a coin. Id listen to your song. I believe that that people to hear both sides of a story in order to decide. I worry when people just allow one side to speak. :) I like your posts...doesnt mean I always agree...but I would like to hear the rest of your song. I know people will say "you mean "read"--nope I can hear it. My old cat is passing on...no pain...I will miss her. she is 17...she found me in a storm. I was told people drop their cats up here--thinking they can survive...please dont do that.

• cookie65November 21, 2013 - 1:15 pm

Fran, consider those who have escaped the dem's plantation and speak out about it. They aren't held up as examples and hero's. In fact they are demonized by the left as uncle Tom's, sellouts, tokens and other names which are in opposition to all logic.

• Fran DuchampNovember 21, 2013 - 3:37 pm

Heavy sigh...yep Cookie...there is that...I am not a dem. or a rep. any more...not sure where I stand. sometimes I feel like im standing alone...yelling at the top of my lungs.

• robertdnollNovember 22, 2013 - 5:25 am

company store,original connotation.piracy under a false flag.have you no shame?

• robertdnollNovember 22, 2013 - 5:35 am

i am sorry about your cat Fran,

• Fran DuchampNovember 22, 2013 - 7:07 am

Thank you--she went peacefully during the night. The hardest part will be telling my grandson.

• Fran DuchampNovember 22, 2013 - 7:11 am

This is an interesting video...I do not know the laws...however I know that as a person...I should have the right to find food if hungry (such as fish out in the woods.). This man is now all over the net...thoughts? The judge leaves the room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MyhDusFMOQ

• robertdnollNovember 22, 2013 - 7:35 am

not easy or pleasant i know,but important.i have faith that you will do great

• Claudia GregoryNovember 26, 2013 - 12:28 am

Well said, heartfelt letter, Tammy. I may no longer live in El Dorado County, but I still check back now and then. Sorry to hear about the Haven's closing. Given our economy and societal woes we only have more homelessness to look forward to in the future. I hope that the residents of Placerville can come together and help, even if businesses are not behind them. Good to hear your Mom is doing well and involved as she is. She was always a wonderful cook and a generous, thoughtful person.

• Dee#1February 23, 2014 - 2:19 pm

Pete, check the Placerville PD site. I believe the Chief released a report.