Monday, April 21, 2014

Comments on Head Start

I was intrigued with a letter in the Feb. 10 edition of the Mountain Democrat. A reader was complaining about a recent editorial by the Mountain Democrat regarding the value of the money spent for the federally funded “Head Start” program in comparison to the results achieved.

The reader was complaining that the assertions made by the Mountain Democrat were not based in fact.

Actually since the piece in question was merely an opinion, it did not need to be supported by any facts. An opinion is just that … an opinion and an opinion is based on one’s life experiences and influences.

ANTHONY J. ARJIL
Placerville

• cookie65February 19, 2014 - 5:17 am

Add to that the "facts" fed to the general public aren't based on "facts" either. They aren't even based on opinion, they are based on a political objective. The opinions are based on the repeated experience in dealing with non-facts meant to achieve said objective. Which is what makes the opinions the only thing of value so they must be tarnished as being racist, bigoted and uncompassionate.

• Mom of FourFebruary 24, 2014 - 1:01 pm

Loved your response, Cookie. Head Start is simply free day care. That is the responsibility of the parents it is part of raising a child, as is providing their meals, clothing, housing, etc.. It does not take a village to raise a child. It takes smart choices. Can't afford them? Don't have them. You folks who had their children in that program: your child's day care (and everything else) is not the responsibility of other taxpayers.

• Oh BrotherFebruary 24, 2014 - 7:36 pm

@ the perfect mom of four - so if a woman is in an abusive relationship, her spouse dies or some other tragedy happens they don't deserve any kind of help to get back on their feet? Wow, it must be wonderful to have your perfect life, and Kooky's also. I unfortunately experienced a tragedy but I worked full time and I filed my paperwork and cooperated with Child Support Services. I requested to keep my case open even after my son turned 18. On my son's 28th birthday the County received back child support from the loser dad...I am not a loser, I worked every single day while my son was in head start. Some day you will be humbled...or maybe not, some think they are above everyone else. I feel sorry for you but more so for your kids.

• Judge JudyFebruary 25, 2014 - 6:12 am

You picked him!!! Oh Brother!!!

• Oh BrotherFebruary 25, 2014 - 12:21 pm

Yes I did judge Judy and I take responsibility for that. I paid it back and I pay taxes. I also don't agree with having so many kids like kooky and mom of four but that's not my place to judge.. Something those two could try to do...judgemental minions.

• Oh BrotherFebruary 24, 2014 - 8:38 am

Loved the Head Start program starting with my oldest son who is now 42. Nothing but positive benefits for him. So the other two attended as did my oldest grandson. Great program.

• KellyFebruary 24, 2014 - 10:07 am

Agreed Oh Brother My son also attended. He is now 24. Excellent program!

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 10:48 am

Mom of four Did your children go to public school? Because I only had one child. I'm wondering are my taxes still paying for your four? Jeez why did you have so many kids. Unless of course you sent them to private school than that would be different otherwise I'd keep your mouth shut.

• Mom of FourFebruary 25, 2014 - 7:13 pm

Hell yes, I put my children in private schools from pre-school on. There is no way I'd have put my kids in dumbed-down bay area public schools. All are now college educated (and since this will certainly come up -- no, they don't have any student loans because, yes, they did work while in college and help with their expenses, and yes, I did save for 25 years to help pay for college, and no, they did not get a dime of aid because I had saved too much to qualify). Picking a crappy husband is not a tragedy, but I do feel for you. A few of my siblings picked crappy men and had illegitimate children. All were on the dole for years. Their families suffer for it decades later, and the mistakes are being repeated. Does that make me feel better than anyone else? No! My own family's choices make me cringe because I see that cycle repeating for a 3rd generation. I think I made generally good choices for myself and my children. And I know I sacrificed for them, just as I am sure you and anyone else who has raised decent, law-abiding, self-sufficient children has done. I do believe in giving people a temporary hand up (particularly for women and children), but not a decades-long hand out. Huge difference. Just because someone doesn't agree with every single welfare program out there does not make them a bad or selfish person. There has to be some limit, just as there are in our own personal budgets. Can we agree on that?

• PatriceFebruary 25, 2014 - 7:22 pm

Mom of Four, your thinking of children of the unmarried as "illegitimate" tells me a lot about you. These children are legitimate as much as your children are legitimate.

• practice what you preachFebruary 25, 2014 - 11:16 am

Kelly You are right. Our tax dollars do pay for public schools. So a mom of four has no room to talk about tax dollars raising other people's kids. And BTW Cookie did'nt you have 5 children. Maybe you two should have thought about birth control before you started spouting off about where others tax dollars are going. I have none so why should I have to pay for your kids schooling?

• Right On Kelly and Practice What You PreachFebruary 25, 2014 - 12:10 pm

You Go!

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 12:47 pm

Yea I want my taxes to go to the war on poachers rather than the war on terror. Sorry ladies doesn't work that way. Wish it did.

• Robert D NollFebruary 25, 2014 - 6:59 pm

Kelly,if you want to fight poachers,which is an idea a lot of people support,then buy a fishing and hunting license

• Fran DuchampFebruary 25, 2014 - 1:50 pm

Well, it is interesting to hear people say no one ever went to a school paid for by taxes...in their whole family tree. Not themselves, their parents, a cousin twice removed. My family has money--but not that kind--where private school paid for generations of education. My second thought--people with that kind of money dont play on this wall--they hire people to. are there ultra rich slumming here today? Because I have questions....

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 2:00 pm

Fran the only two saying that are Cookie and mom of four. I guess they think their kids are uber special and deserve our tax dollars but other kids don't.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 25, 2014 - 2:01 pm

Many do not know that Kindergarten is not required. it is a preschool. head Start would be the preschool before preschool. It is nicer to have kids understand the same basics needed to start school...1st grade. Aside of what "parents" should be doing...children are not to blame--they are here...and they deserve to learn. Having them all at about the same place before 1 st grade makes it easier on the child as well. To have to reteach several children at different rates is hard...and everyone loses.

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 2:04 pm

And they are not saying they did not send their kids to public school. I think you are misunderstanding.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 25, 2014 - 2:48 pm

" I have none so why should I have to pay for your kids schooling?" <---I was responding to this...I hear this every once in awhile. if I misunderstood--I am sorry.

• Dink LaneFebruary 25, 2014 - 2:40 pm

Mr. Arjil: Larry's columns are usually devoid of "facts.".... And your point is well taken..... But the comments post in response to this letter are just as devoid of facts. .......... As usual the "Usual Suspects" are acting like a ex-mother-in-law standing off to the side kibitzing on how the son-in-law ..... Should..... would...... could..... She knows how to kick someone when they are down..... with little suggestions on how to be supportive..... Sad, sad,

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 3:02 pm

Fran I thought he was being sarcastic. Because mom of four was being so high and mighty judgemental!

• KellyFebruary 25, 2014 - 3:11 pm

And Dink if you think I am going to be supportive of Cookie and Mom of fours blog sorry not going to happen. I am so sick of. the know it alls on this thread who judge others yes I have become cynical and nasty so probably time to stop reading this crap.

• Dink LaneFebruary 25, 2014 - 3:57 pm

Kelly: I didn't see you as a "Usual Suspect".... all slam and no facts....

• JohnFebruary 25, 2014 - 3:34 pm

To Mr. Arjil: Yes, the MD made assertions in its editorial page that were patent lies. I dont care if the lies are on the editorial page, under the guise of an opinion, or on the comics page--a lie is a lie.

• hypocriteFebruary 25, 2014 - 4:43 pm

Cookie has 5 kids? Wow I am shocked. She needs to keep her hypocritical mouth shut!

• YikesFebruary 25, 2014 - 4:48 pm

Really listen to these big mouths judging others about their tax dollars and they have a butt load of kids going to public schools. Gives new meaning to big fat right wing hypocrites!

• Mom of FourFebruary 25, 2014 - 7:19 pm

They went to private schools in N. California, so please quit your huffing about sending kids to public schools (which is where part of our property taxes go). And it was totally worth it. Four kids nowadays might be crazy (but if you can afford it on your own, go right ahead). Four kids 25-40 years ago wasn't a lot for a couple with good jobs. Two kids now would be too many for someone without a good income.

• YikesFebruary 25, 2014 - 9:58 pm

Mom of four We were talking about Head Start who said anything about decades of help. You seem to be very high on your horse and yes you do sound selfish. Or else your contradicting yourself. Good for you and your private schools. I hope all your grandkids and their kids can go to them too. Cause you did have alot of kids and I will assume they are reproducing so if they are not in private schools that is alot of tax payers dollars!

• Pollock parentFebruary 27, 2014 - 11:14 pm

Yikes, a lot, not alot. Same thing as a little (not alittle) . Loved this thread. In my day, kids born out of wedlock were considered illegitimate. Is that out of date slang now?

• Pollock parentFebruary 27, 2014 - 11:15 pm

You're not your.

• KirstenFebruary 25, 2014 - 11:14 pm

Mom of Four, you are right on and I can most definitely agree. Thank you for expressing the facts so succinctly.

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4 | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 10 Comments

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10