Wednesday, April 16, 2014

County Czar’s Gestapo-like actions

The Board of Supervisors recently re-approved the County Czar position by changing the county’s ordinances and job descriptions to reorganize the various Building, Planning, Environmental Management and Transportation departments under the direction of Kim Kerr as the county’s head czar, a position for which she doesn’t have the proper education, experience or credentials.

You can rest assured that even though the ordinance had not been changed since late last December when the reorganization was conceptually approved by the board, Kim Kerr didn’t waste any time assuming her new role last January when she lined up employees of the Building Department and Planning Department like a drill sergeant. At that meeting, she decided to pull one well-liked younger woman employee out of line and berate her and bring her to tears in front of everyone for no apparent reason other than to give the impression she was now in power.

What has Kerr done since that moment you might ask? She immediately went to one of the more experienced and licensed civil engineers in the Department of Transportation, a longtime and trusted employee with 25 years with the county and told him “don’t bother applying for the director of transportation position, you won’t be selected.” He promptly retired and took his institutional knowledge with him.

What kind of county work environment does the Assistant CAO foster you might ask? It lends itself to being an environment of gross incompetence where fear and intimidation prevail, the hiring of inexperienced employees and nepotism are the norm and problems and expensive mistakes are quietly swept under the rug.

Why our new supervisors continue to go along with this charade I’ll probably never know.

JAMES SMITH
Placerville

• 1036-FrankMay 06, 2013 - 11:44 am

Let's see, perhaps if someone was shopping for a CAO position and was on the run from other public employers and other counties Grand Jury reports they might by chance look right here and bring their cronies along and not have to worry about the dysfunctional local GJ that has resigned and no report was ever issued for a first. The employment background check was also probably one of those "I thought so and so did it" as seen so many times before in county hiring and has to be the BOS lack of competency in filling positions on display.

• Ernie LouisMay 06, 2013 - 1:07 pm

If I could chair the Board of Supervisors for one day, I would make a motion to REPEAL the actions made by the old Board of Supervisors. Newly Elected Officials will rise and fall with past actions. That includes Out-Of-County appointments. Ernie Louis

• Phil VeerkampMay 06, 2013 - 1:50 pm

Ernie, if it's true, "That includes Out-Of-County appointments", then all we're left with GOBs. I like that!

• Phil VeerkampMay 06, 2013 - 2:16 pm

James, Ms Kerr comes to us from out of county. She was inducted into the GOB network one dark midnight under a south-leaning digger pine after first eviscerating a possum, eating its liver, heart and spleen and then burying it with a black cat. She now knows the secret handshake. I understand that Ms Kerr has accepted responsibility for and apologized for causing the 2008 economic crash that was so inconvenient for Ione. She’s checked that one off her bucket list, James . . . done that , been there as far as Kim Kerr is concerned. If we get rid of Kim Kerr now then we’ll either have to hire another out-of-county foreigner, initiate him/her into the GOB network or else hire a real GOB. Let’s agenize a county ordinance provision requiring GOBs to hire GOBs and NO MORE FOREIGNERS! Besides, Melody does not like Kim.

• James E.May 06, 2013 - 2:43 pm

Phil, I can only assume you are speaking to a different James.

• James E.May 06, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Oh, of course, the writer of the letter.

• Phil VeerkampMay 06, 2013 - 3:17 pm

hence forth you are Colonel

• how it worksMay 06, 2013 - 4:38 pm

Melody does not like tear gassing people but Kim Kerr does. Phil Veerkamp does not like Melody but does like Kim Kerr . . . . . ipso facto Phil Veerkamp likes tear gassing people.

• James E.May 06, 2013 - 5:06 pm

Phil, I remember when I was a PFC. We only had one full colonel on the post and he was looked upon as a God -- we adverted our eyes away his greatness. Now, I'm a full colonel (with 32 years in grade) and I don't feel like a God and no one averts their eyes. Bummer.

• Phil VeerkampMay 06, 2013 - 5:22 pm

how it works - Your ipso facto disintegrates over your complete inability to find even ONE substantiating document to support your assertion that Ms Kerr likes tear gassing (pepper spraying) people. She was risk management in Humboldt. She was aware of the police action. There is ZERO documentation that she “liked it”. She was/is not required to like all of the options within police actions. Logical fallacy is how it works.

• Phil VeerkampMay 06, 2013 - 5:35 pm

Colonel, as a SP5 I did not suffer as you apparently did. It is in my civilian married life where I am regularly "grounded".

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 5:37 pm

Mr. Veerkamp is correct, "there is ZERO documentation that she “liked it”"...she had knowledge of what was going to be done, because she was thr risk manager at the time.

• James E.May 06, 2013 - 8:23 pm

Hate to get on the wrong side of Frances and Phil, but she did say it was humane and, of course, humane it was not. And, what exactly is risk management? One who manages risk by explaining away behavior that needs explaining?

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 9:05 pm

James You are also correct. She did say that. And your definition of a risk manager is correct as well according to WIKI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_management

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 9:11 pm

Although James...there are many other tasks the a risk manager has...it is a long article. I still think it is odd to hire outside--and have those people hire their outside friends...but that s me.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 9:15 pm

One last thing James...I have much respect for Mr. Fred and your stories of him--therefore you can not get on my bad side--you are his caretaker, and a full colonel.

• JennyMay 08, 2013 - 12:53 am

I think what you're missing here is that Ms. Kerr has experience outside of what would be considered standard for her position. She is a full member of the gray wolf clan of the Western Slope Apaches. In her teepee she is first Shaman & for the entire village she is training to be First Level Foodchewer to all elderly. This is a woman of many talents & considerable gift. I say to you Mr colonel Verkamp - let go of your racism & press this sister to your bosom & let those bison graze

• cookie65May 08, 2013 - 7:05 am

Phil, something to go with your morning coffee. http://www.ijreview.com/2013/05/50624-susan-rice-honored-with-great-american-award/

• Phil VeerkampMay 08, 2013 - 7:41 am

and for you, Cookie - - - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3017017/posts

• cookie65May 08, 2013 - 7:56 am

Phil, page unavailable.... Looks like the corner obama and PIAPS have painted themselves in over the Benghazi cover up is getting smaller and smaller. Did you see where Putin made lurch wait for 3 hours? World leaders make it clear what they think of the unqualified clowns we have in high places even if the American public is toooooo stupid to figure it out.

• cookie65May 08, 2013 - 9:18 am

I got the page to work Phil. Looking forward to watching the d/Rats scurry. It is a good thing for obama and PIAPS that the dem voter base won't know a thing about it. It pays to be informed by the leftists media.

• cookie65May 08, 2013 - 9:27 am

Phil, I am predicting the leftist media will be more silent on this than they have been on the abortion butcher. Here a little comparison I came across this morning on the number of reports on the out-of-the-closet NBA player vs Gosnell. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/05/07/Repoirt-Jason-Collins-Earns-2381-Stories-Gosnell-115

• MelodyMay 08, 2013 - 4:51 pm

Phil, stop spreading the fallacy that I don't like Kim. Our meetings and conversations have always been very cordial and professional. For the record, I don't like scoundrels (male/female) who lie, slander, spread false rumors, play dirty politics, speak with forked tongue or pick on widows/orphans (hint-hint). I've never had the occasion to meet you face to face, but I certainly hope your mother brought you up to respect women--especially whistle blower--who have the courage to stand up to over-inflated bullies. Now mind your manners and quit listening to Bernard Carlson and his misogynist GOB buddies.

• Compass2TruthMay 08, 2013 - 5:13 pm

Frank: You hit the bulls eye. Revisit my expose of the Amador GJ-Kerr fiasco during the July 2012 Taxpayers Assn. meeting. EDC is headed in the same direction. Ernie Louis sat right next to me and my handy dandy "silent witness." A member of the EDC Grand Jury was present when I read excerpts and queried Kim Kerr about her aspirations. An awkward moment, but necessarily revealing nonetheless. BOS knowledge of wrongdoing creates a personal liability for failure to act or uphold their oath of office. Sometimes the TRUTH hurts, but this is info the public has the RIGHT and NEED to know. Now citizens need to ACT on it via proper legal channels.

• Compass2TruthMay 08, 2013 - 5:24 pm

This is a repost from another letter last week, but worth repeating: Phil et al: For the record, Compass2Truth is a watchdog organization. The purpose of a good watchdog is to sound the alarm. The CAO issues in Jack Duffy's letter are cause for ALL citizens to be justifiably concerned. The Kerr-CAO matter was first brought to my attention in May 2011 via a reliable source (quote from email): "If you go to the website, Ionepd.com, and see for yourself what the City Manager, Kim Kerr did to that small city of Ione. I was working there when she was hired. I watched how she fired many employees and hired her good friends from her former city position. It is a disgrace how she ruled with an iron fist and bankrupt that city. She is under multiple investigations from the grand jury to see if there are any criminal complaints. She is moving on to a new position in El Dorado County. I don't know if you can find out what department is actually hiring, but if you can, the department should be advised if she is in any high level financial decision making position. What she did to Ione is very similar to what happened in Bell, California. The city of Ione is basically bankrupt after her four years as Ione City Manager." The truth will prevail. Unfortunately EDC citizens will eventually pay dearly via costly litigation for yet another GOB scandal.

• GumpMay 08, 2013 - 7:15 pm

Jenny, you make a lot of sense. Sounds just like somethin' my mama would say. We must be soul mates.

• Phil VeerkampMay 08, 2013 - 7:51 pm

Melody Compass and readers, I owe you an apology. My repetitious assertion, Melody doesn’t like Kim, is not founded in fact. Furthermore that childish chant is overly simplistic and dismissive. You deserve more. I admit to a heightened level of skepticism of ANY group or “watch dog” committee with TRUTH in its name. It claims and asserts undue authority. Scoundrels wrap themselves in the flag. Blasphemers commit unspeakable atrocities in the name of God, Allah and Yahweh. Treachery hides in patriotism. And there is no compass that points to the truth. Here is my hypothesis. In 2008 the party balloons burst. Most all municipal, county, state and federal budgets and plans were shredded. Different entities handled the mess in different ways. Ione sent it to the grand jury. Guess what! Ione has a GOB network!!! And guess what the Ione GOB GJ did. They found that Ione’s projections were waaaaaaaay off . . . because . . . Kim Kerr was so incompetent as not to have factored in 2008 while advising them. Unqualified. Scapegoat. Did the GJ interview Ms Kerr? No. They didn’t have to. All they needed to do was obfuscate, sift blame and (my theory) get the heat off Ione’s GOBs. And you, Melody, got an email from somebody who REALLY did not like Kim. And you, Melody, ambushed Ms Kerr at Dennys with a GJ member (oh goody!) present. (BTW – I think GJs are highly overrated and overly exposed to political pressure.) So you, Melody, began a highly toxic process of reputation destruction. Isn’t it curious how strong women become targets? Ms Kerr’s balls are probably bigger than mine. Deal with it, Melody. Idle thought here . . . Can women be misogynists? And the TRUTH is, Melody Compass, I do not know Bernard Carlson much less his buddies.

• truth or dareMay 08, 2013 - 8:50 pm

Phil Veerkamp is putting his balls on the line and it's time for Kim Kerr to man up.

• Phil VeerkampMay 08, 2013 - 8:56 pm

truth or dare - High noon under the beer tree?

• cookie65May 08, 2013 - 9:11 pm

Don't apologize to me Phil. You just proved an old adage. When you throw a rock over a fence it is the hit dog that yelps. Do you think you should be exposing that compass and melody are one and the same?

• MelodyMay 08, 2013 - 11:45 pm

Wrong, Phil. The TRUTH is I didn't ambush Kerr at Denny's. Just the FACTS, please: I simply asked a question that inquiring minds wanted to know about the new Assistant CAO from Ione, all a matter of public record. First Amendment rights were exercised, no malice or reputation assassination intended as you accused. It was coincidental that a member of the GJ had been tipped off about the speaker and he voluntarily identified himself at the end of the meeting. And yes, I am the only authorized spokesperson for Compass2Truth for reasons that are clearly outlined in the original 2009 press release and reiterated to Sheriff D'Agostini and the BOS: namely RETALIATION for WHISTLE BLOWING...all a matter of public record as appropriate to agenda items on the BOS website. Now if you have the chutzpah to meet a gutsy, God-fearing professional lady face-to-face instead of hurling insults from behind a computer, I'd be happy to share a few more facts about Compass, its mission statement and GOB operating procedures for you to gnaw on.

• MelodyMay 09, 2013 - 12:24 am

BTW Phil, THANKS for providing Compass the opportunity to help illuminate the FACTS for the conscientious readers & seekers of the TRUTH behind the BOS-CAO-GJ scandals (i.e. James Smith, Jim Sculley, Jack Duffy letters, etc.) Oh yeah--make sure you wear a red rose so I'll recognize you when we meet--in a public place of course. Perhaps 7:30 Monday morning at Denny's? I promise not to act too intimidating for your fragile manhood...LOL! Cookie, maybe you'd like to chaperone?

• Sue TaylorMay 09, 2013 - 1:23 am

Does it bother anyone in this link that Kim appears to be reigning with fear and terror to the people under her watch? I sit in lots of county meetings and lately if Kim or Terry are in the room, staff will look to them for approval. I watched one young staff member making a presentation to the Board and never before had I heard her sounding so terrified. Apparently Kim did not like what she was saying and glared at another staff member to get up to the mic and take over. Boy did he jump. She tried using that militant attitude with me when I was trying to get her to clear up some misinformation that was being spread to the public. It took a few times but she finally admitted I was right. I just feel sad for those working for the county right now, moral is pretty low and I'm more discouraged by the public that is so apathetic and a Board of Supervisors that encourages this behavior. I guess for them the ends justify the means.

• SparkyMay 09, 2013 - 5:43 am

Cuzin' Phil hit the nail on the head. There is a massive blame shift going on in Ione for political reasons. Let's face it, Grand Juries demand a significant amount of time all for $15/day which limits the number of willing candidates and are predisposed to bias. Many of the attacks on this site start with I, always I. A self-anointed watchdog group that is little more than a narcissistic committee of one is hardly the basis for truth. Collaborative agreement with said posts under a different name is kind of like giving yourself a high five. Some of the other usual suspects seldom seem to work and play well with the other kids in the sandbox. A change in culture takes time and it remains to be seen if KK is the right person for the job. The accountability really rests at the top of the food chain, not on the assistant.

• EvelynMay 09, 2013 - 6:10 am

Sparky: Who -- by job title / position -- is "at the top of this particular food chain"?

• 57 ChevyMay 09, 2013 - 7:56 am

Chutzpah--Utter nerve; effrontery (Yiddish). Sounds like Melody has more balls than most guys. You go girl!

• cookie65May 09, 2013 - 8:00 am

Sparky, you were a kind with your assessment. You stopped short of schizophrenia. The typical scenario of a transplant with an inferiority complex combined with an identity crisis wrapping themselves in a holier-than-thou personal agenda. My way or the highway just like a one-way street. I do enjoy the "you owe me" attitude. The owing is a relative term and can become almost anything at anytime. I will go ahead and divulge the missing link of my comments on another thread regarding what I witnessed over many years in youth sports and the cause every single time some program would make a turn for the worst. Control-freak women. I think the term is "catty".

• GTown WhistlerMay 09, 2013 - 8:25 am

Phil admits KK has bigger balls than him. Dare to tell the truth & KK may eat your balls for breakfast. Hey Sparky, could that be why cuzin Phil hasn’t revealed the family jewels at any BOS meetings hmmmmm?

• RobertMay 09, 2013 - 8:53 am

James Smith 12/12 LTE said it like it is “The board’s appointment of Kim Kerr to the “acting” director position of this newly created, costly, bureaucratic agency is nothing less than pure insanity…Lately, watching the Board of Supervisors is just like watching a “Circus in Fantasy Land” with the CAO and her Assistant Kerr putting on a regular Fairytale Dog and Pony Show.”

• In the KnowMay 09, 2013 - 11:26 am

By now the BOS has met in a closed door session to discuss the federal law suit that has to do with work place abuse, ie, intimidation, public humiliation of employees, abuse of power by people in senior positions, etc. This case goes to federal court in June. The county should be taking a close look at Ms Kerr and her actions or else they could be looking at another lawsuit down the road filed by county employees. They just don't seem to get the hint.

• EvelynMay 09, 2013 - 11:58 am

In the Know: Is the lawsuit the reason for KK's "vacation"?

• truth or dareMay 09, 2013 - 12:27 pm

Phil Veerkamp, all the balls can stand down until after June. Lots riding on that lawsuit.

• 57 ChevyMay 09, 2013 - 4:47 pm

Sparky, Cookie and Phil: Sounds like you are all part of the Veerkamp clan or maybe one and the same? Gotta watch out cuz inbreeding does funny things to the brain and genetics.

• Rodeo JoeMay 09, 2013 - 5:11 pm

The June Federal action is just the opening act. Several related lawsuits are now being juggled so really all the balls are up in the air. You betcha some have the Hershey-squirts. Stay tuned for the 2nd act, 3rd, 4th and ?? It's gonna be a really good show.

• cluelessMay 09, 2013 - 5:36 pm

Sounds like poor Kim is still being victimized by the unforeseen 2008 economic downturn that made those poor Ionians complain unfairly about her to what most likely was a rigged grand jury. Or maybe Melody is responsible for turning county employees against ballsy Kim and has organized the lawsuit just because she can -- it's that strong woman thing that someone mentioned.

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 73 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 18 Comments | Gallery

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

A great big thanks

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3