Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Dogs in grocery stores

Am I the only one? I love my pets but am I to put my food or my grandson where a dog’s butt just sat? I’m addressing both the owners of lovable mutts and those grocery stores that allow the abuse of service dog rules. Within 30 seconds of entering Walmart on Thursday, Oct. 3, I spotted two lovable pets. Not service dogs, just average mutts. One, a terrier, was quite comfortable in the child seat of the grocery basket. That spot is usually where I put my bread or grandson.

I’ve seen similar scenes at Raley’s as well but Walmart seems to have a very blind eye about this. I contacted the store manager about this issue several months ago and was told, “There’s nothing we can do about it.” Really? Even Home Depot has a sign that states “Service Dogs Only.” I cannot believe that any incontinent, flea-bitten hound can be allowed in a store that sells food, and is welcome to ride where I am expected to place my food.

As I was leaving Walmart I encountered a young woman with a service dog in training. It was evident this happy pooch was on his way to helping some disabled person because of his distinctive green vest. Having just vented on the Walmart manager, I apologized for my agitated state and expressed both my appreciation for her work and my frustration at those who feel entitled. Until Walmart can set some clear polices that support basic hygiene I will not be shopping there.

ROBERT HALL
Placerville

• Phil VeerkampOctober 09, 2013 - 11:15 am

James E. come home. We need your input on this one. I'm unqualified to troll this thread - dogless.

• Jesus H ChristOctober 09, 2013 - 11:19 am

You put your bread where infants in diapers sit. YUCK!!

• DavidOctober 09, 2013 - 11:39 am

I agree with Jesus. Some of those dirty smelly kids sitting in baskets are much worse than any dog I've seen. Although I am really glad you are not shopping at Walmart. Terrible corporation to support!!!!!

• Vitamin COctober 09, 2013 - 11:52 am

Is Vern also allowed in these stores?

• kggOctober 09, 2013 - 1:22 pm

any business can put up a sign saying no animals allowed (except people and service animals). walmat is lying because they don't want to offend people with dogs. i agree with robert - common sense tells us that dogs don't belong in grocerty stores. btw, i have seen a dog in save mart as well.

• PatriceOctober 09, 2013 - 1:53 pm

I am with Jesus. Robert, it took a dog for you to stop shopping at a donkey's ass store?! Hope there are many more that follow your concern and logic.

• TataOctober 09, 2013 - 2:12 pm

OK guys, let’s not forget about the bottom of women’s purses either. However, one should always grab the disinfectant wipes they provide at the door and start with the handle, moving down to the seat area, etc. Then the rule is if it isn’t wrapped in it’s own packaging (ie carton, box etc) it must be placed in a bag. Upon returning to one’s car, and after the purchases have been put into your vehicle, the waterless cleaner should be applied to the hands BEFORE one touches the steering wheel. Upon return to one’s home, and after you have put away your purchases, the counters, chair seats, etc., that came in contact with the bags need a good once over also, you don’t want to know what you may have brought in besides groceries. If you use the “reusable bags”, tests have found they harbor all kinds of bad “stuff” such as juices that have leaked from meat packages, etc. this can be very hazardous for your health.

• Phil VeerkampOctober 09, 2013 - 2:21 pm

The immune system is like a muscle. Exercise it. Get dirty.

• TataOctober 09, 2013 - 3:16 pm

I probably get into more dirt than most, I work in the dirt, with livestock, firewood, paint, etc. I allow my dog in the house, etc. My mother taught me “wash your hands, you never know where someone else’s hands have been”. All kidding aside in the past few years, I’ve made it priority to wash my hands, keep them away from my face, and I’ve reduced the colds, flu and stomach issues significantly.

• SHOctober 09, 2013 - 3:29 pm

Better than leaving them in the car. And incontinent, flea-bitten hounds? Melodramatic much? I agree with Jesus, nasty children and diapers aren't any more sanitary than someone’s pup. And at Wal-Mart, no less? Really? We have enough rules and laws, leave these people and their dogs alone and go find something else to do. I can understand a fleeting thought but to actually track down employees and managers at each of these stores and then write a letter to the paper about it...kinda sad. You have too much time on your hands. go find something else to do.

• EvelynOctober 10, 2013 - 6:26 am

Vote HERE on the question: "Of which do you have a higher opinion? Congress / Dog Poop" (So far Dog Poop is ahead 1,261 to 22)

• cookie65October 10, 2013 - 9:14 am

I agree, walmart is no place for a dog. Or to put it another way; I wouldn't let my dog shop at walmart.

• Dog Adoptions Available Info. BelowOctober 10, 2013 - 11:59 am

Sacramento County Animal Care Directions: Address: 3839 Bradshaw Rd, Sacramento, CA 95827 Phone:(916) 368-7387 Hours: Monday Closed Tuesday Closed Wednesday 12:30–5:30 pm Thursday 12:30–5:30 pm Friday 12:00–4:30 pm Saturday 12:00–4:30 pm Sunday Closed

• Lucky & BlessedOctober 10, 2013 - 12:07 pm

If You Are Able To...Adopt a dog today or soon! Many dogs (and other animals) are in great need of homes, full of love, care, friendship, etc. -I did it! I adopted a dog in need. Will you? Just think about it. An animal/pet is a real blessing to come into your life. You both will be very Lucky & Blessed to have 'eachother'.

• James E.October 10, 2013 - 12:12 pm

A home without a dog (or cat) is a quiet home indeed.

• James E.October 10, 2013 - 12:15 pm

I refuse to put my bag of dog food where the baby's butt has touched. OK, a little joke. I agree that only real service dogs should be allowed in grocery stores and restaurants. Not sure why Home Depot excludes non service dogs. Dog germs might taint the paint or hammers?

• Adoption Info.October 10, 2013 - 12:16 pm

Adoption Processing *Adoption Process stops 30 minutes before closing hours. Step 1. Complete a Meet Your Match Survey Online (dog and cat) or at the Information Desk. When the survey is complete, return to the Desk for processing. Step 2. Visit The Pets Spend some time and get acquainted with the pet. Carefully consider if it is the right size, temperament, and breed for you. Consider daily care and home environment needs, training and other pets at home. We have information packets to help! We strongly suggest bringing your children with you to ensure a good match. 3: The Adoption Process Meet with one of our adoption counselors to process paperwork, and proceed to the Payment Desk. Adoption fees may vary depending on the type of pet and any additional services you may request. Note: Please arrive in time to meet and visit with the animal of you choice before considering adoption. Adoptions stop 30 minutes prior to closing. Review Fees - Adoption Fees Step 4. Spay/Neuter Surgery, Then Bring Your New Pet Home! If the pet is already altered, you may take your pet home immediately! If not altered, the spay/neuter surgery will be performed before your new pet goes home and generally takes only one business day. Important Notes! 1) Most pets are held a mandatory period of time, and must pass a temperament test before being made available for adoption. 2) You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt from our shelter. 3) City or out of town residents - You are welcome to adopt a pet from our shelter if you live anywhere in the United States, but it is a requirement to license your pet with your hometown. Contact Us Our Address: 3839 Bradshaw Rd Sacramento, CA 95827 (So. of U.S. 50 near Kiefer) Shelter Hours: Wednesday through Friday 12:30-5:30 Saturday and Sunday 12 noon - 4:30 Closed Mondays and Tuesdays General Information Recorded messages (24 hours a day) (916) 368-7387 (PETS) Report Problems Strays, too many or neglected animals, abuse, (live operators M-F) (916) 368-7387 (PETS) M-F from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

• Lucky & BlessedOctober 10, 2013 - 12:17 pm

I Hope The Info. Helps & Good Luck Adopting All!

• James E.October 10, 2013 - 12:17 pm

OK, I've caused enough trouble this AM. Have to go get Mr. Fred ready to go to the doctor. Later.

• Lucky & BlessedOctober 10, 2013 - 12:21 pm

No trouble at all....More Luck & Blessings sent off to you and your pet :)

• It's all in the eyes of the beholderOctober 10, 2013 - 12:40 pm

God works in mysterious ways. Like with this letter written against dogs. Some would say it is bad. Yet, now the bad said and done in this letter as I see it, against dogs, is turned around for good. The good now spoken out to speak to others to possibly adopt a pet in much need of a home and loving family. Thankfully God will take the bad, and use others to give the good information letter, with a heart of love for animals, and He will turn it around for good.

• cookie65October 10, 2013 - 12:50 pm

There is a website called people of walmart. It is a posting of pictures taken at walmart. This site holds all the evidence anyone needs to conclude that dogs are not only the least animals in the equation but also are far more hygienic.

• SHOctober 10, 2013 - 12:53 pm

LOL - so true cookie.

• John Jacob JinglehimerschmitOctober 10, 2013 - 7:29 pm

Unless it is a Service animal Leave you Filthy pets at home.

• James E.October 10, 2013 - 8:16 pm

Muslims do not like dogs, they consider them filthy and cast them aside. This is why many GIs, who love dogs, adopt homeless dogs they found wandering around Iraq and Afghanistan. I like my dogs, they are cleaner than some people I see when I go out into the world. Mr. Fred says "Woof."

• LLMOctober 10, 2013 - 9:26 pm

I agree . I recently stopped going to a restaurant that allowed the pet to come in and be seated in a booth at a nearly table. It is just not cool, ok

• bubbyamoreOctober 10, 2013 - 11:39 pm

I am one who raises guide dog puppies (the ones in the green vest), and I have to say that I dislike it when people bring their pets places that pets should not be allowed. My 12 month old puppy in training was once almost attacked by a pit bull who was supposedly a "service dog." This dog had no vest, harness or anything and it vicwas INSIDE an establishment. I know everyone loves their dogs, but not all dogs were designed to be out in the stresses of the world. Having to take a puppy everywhere we go can be very difficult, but it is made even more so when we are constantly wondering if our pups are safe from other not so friendly dogs.

• MorrisOctober 12, 2013 - 12:54 am

QUOTE: 'but am I to put my food or my grandson where a dog’s butt just sat'. Rather perplexed here on that statement. Most all of the food one buys at the grocery stores today is pre-packaged, wrapped, sealed and stuffed into a box / bag / container. So unless one is placing their pooch's cooch directly upon the produce or inside the bulk bins of bananna chips, there really shouldn't be direct butt to food association. Because I really hate it when kid kiester contacts my caramel canine cookies. Ewwwww.

• James E.October 12, 2013 - 9:49 am

Speaking of dogs, matching police dog contribution is in the mail, addressed to Pawsitive Service Dog Solutions, P. O. Box 383, Olivehurst, CA 95961, with Hailey Huntington noted in the check Memo section. Good Morning America!!

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 67 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 18 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3