Friday, April 18, 2014

Disagree with ‘right-wing’ editorial policy; glad to pay taxes

EDITOR: I want to add my voice to the recent spate of letters regarding the Mountain Democrat’s right-wing editorial stance.

I don’t hate or fear my government; what scares me is the explosive widening of the gap between the rich and the poor. I oppose all intolerance, including political intolerance with its resultant polarization. I think some readers’ notion that people need guns so they can wage war against government officers is insane. I could go on and on, but I only get 225 words.

I’m glad to pay taxes and I think I should pay more. I’ve never been harmed by my government, but I’ve repeatedly been harmed by private greed. I believe government should be “big” enough to prevent citizens from being abused by other citizens or by corporations.

I support all our public servants; I’m proud of them and I’m glad they’re there. I’m as vigilant against malfeasance as the next fellow, but I don’t let it cloud my civic pride. I don’t think the editor’s page should be used to foment rancor toward public servants. Our constitutional system continues to be a shining beacon to history and to the world’s citizens. The Mounain Democrat should support democratic and patriotic action, and turn down the vitriol. Or, as reader H. Zelinka put it so well, “assuage your zealotry.”

ALAN FULLER-BEILHARZ
Placerville

• MorrisJanuary 30, 2013 - 9:01 pm

Well stated. Thank you.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 30, 2013 - 9:23 pm

I have a question...your comment is not an editorial...this is a letter to the editor. What is different today is that the paper is now on-line in real time...and people can debate 24/7. So my question is this...Are you saying people should not respond and share to the "on-line" version in the "printed" version? And if that is so--wouldn't trying to stop this process be going against their freedom of speech rights? I have nothing against your letter..on-line (real time) newspapers are becoming the norm...we can interact immediately ...so I was just wondering because of the new source of instant news--that we can debate with, if that is what the problem is. The person responding...may feel that the audience is not wide enough--there fore they have their thoughts go to print...um...interesting letter.

• EvelynJanuary 30, 2013 - 9:43 pm

Incredible. Mr. Fuller-Beilharz wants to pay more taxes. I suppose there's nothing stopping him from making a charitable contribution. But I refute his assertion that ANYONE on these pages has said they want to "wage war against government officers". That is a grave misreading. Finally, a note of sympathy (rare!) for the Mt. Democrat. Sometimes they're accused of being left-leaning; or right-leaning; or Tea Party. One must conclude the paper, by occasionally offending all political persuasions, is doing something right!

• cookie65February 04, 2013 - 10:45 am

This portayal that the private sector is harming you and the government is exclusive to your best interests always peaks my curiosity. Do you drive a car? Private sector or government? Do you buy gas for your car? Private sector or government? Do you buy groceries? Private sector or government? Do you own clothes? Private sector or government? TV, central heat and air, furniture, toilet paper, microwave, stove, frig, dishwasher, plates, cups, spoons, jobs, wealth to confiscate, money for roads, shopping malls, movie theatres, homes, apartments, every single thing you take for granted comes directly from or is paid for by the private sector, even the public sector. Government cannot give anything away unless it first steals it from someone else. Where on earth did you learn the stuff you believe? You don't have to tell me. All of us have been indoctrinated with the same nonsense, just some of us never believed any of it.

• 1036-FrankFebruary 04, 2013 - 4:50 pm

All of us conservatives agree there should be a higher tax on liberals, they should send in checks frequently, their terrible ideas certainly can be proven to cost untold trillions of dollars. It also is well known that our local Sheriff joined hundreds of other law enforcement managers in supporting the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens which defeats the liberal talking point accusations of otherwise. The slant of this paper is probably one of a few of somewhat conservative papers who believe the First Amendment is as important and needed as the Second.

• rodFebruary 04, 2013 - 6:16 pm

Alan, you can stop, put the kool-aid down and join rational folks who enjoy objective comment. Yes there are some letters that are more subjective... so you would like to BAN those? See how you are? if reality causes you distress...don't read them, ok?

• T69807February 04, 2013 - 10:22 pm

It's funny how liberals complain about private greed but are blind to public greed. It's odd how they say they despise corporations, yet they keep on sending them love notes with Ben Franklin's portrait. They say that government threatens no one, but when they shout "Join us in our vision for America," they also whisper, "Or else."

• EvelynFebruary 05, 2013 - 7:38 am

The letter writers says, "Our constitutional system continues to be a shining beacon to history and to the world’s citizens." Elsewhere, however, "Majority of Americans Say Federal Government Threatens Freedom" - HERE

• Ken SteersFebruary 05, 2013 - 9:32 am

After reading this democrat socialist diatribe I threw up in my mouth a little. "I've repeatedly been harmed by private greed."? I wonder where in the government food trough does this guy feed. And why are so many socialist poster's last names hyphenated? To AFB the only assuage I like is Jimmy Dean. Your statements about loving the government and wanting to pay more taxes falls in line with the democrat socialost mentality. Just remember that you are the majority and your form of government is in charge. You wanted it you love it you got it. I'll remain in the opposition party as long as your party allows TYVM.

• EvelynFebruary 05, 2013 - 10:25 am

Ken: The writer's naïveté reminded me of something I might have written at age 16 or so for a school essay on government. Did a bit of checking and do in fact believe Alan may well be not long out of school. My guess is he'll prove to be an excellent citizen. With most of life's lessons being learned AFTER school, he should in time acquire lots of new insights.

• Ken SteersFebruary 05, 2013 - 11:17 am

But Evelyn, this is what the democrat socialost believes in. "Socialism over failing Capitalism". This is not only what a child thinks but what his educator indoctrinates. We have fought numerous wars. Hundreds of thousands of our finest have died and shed blood against the socialist take over. And now? They have taken over from within.

• Ted ralstonFebruary 05, 2013 - 4:48 pm

Good letter, Alan. Nothing makes your point better than the diseased minds represented by the above commenters.

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Bicycle events and traffic control

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15