Monday, April 14, 2014

El Dorado All League photos

I first took notice of the All League pictures at El Dorado High in the weight room while in summer training for football between the seventh and eighth grade. The photos depicted strong, powerful, motivated young men dressed in our school colors with pride.

The first time I saw these pictures I knew that I wanted to be up on that wall too for other generations to see. These pictures inspired me to train hard, to work hard and to do my absolute best. Those pictures were a constant reminder for me, and many of my peers, of what I wanted to be.

My hard work paid off and my picture was placed on the wall when I made All League. I felt intense pride at accomplishing my goal, and I brought this lesson with me later in life as well, knowing that with great ambition comes great things. Today, I am a proud business owner of Straight Line Roofing & Construction and I know my initiative to start a successful company was driven by the understanding that with focus and dedication I could accomplish my dreams.

I am confident that I was not the only person who was affected by these All League pictures displayed at El Dorado High. They are a tradition and a foundation for young adults to strive for. Our community needs motivated individuals to lead the pack, and motivation always comes from inspiration. I know that if those pictures inspired me, they are bound to inspire others as well. To remove such a rooted tradition from the school not only hurts all those that worked so hard to get those pictures on the walls, but all future generations who will not get the opportunity to strive for that accomplishment!

Those pictures are a piece of El Dorado history and I believe the tradition should be continued for all future generations to view, to be inspired and to recognize that they too could be installed on the wall as a piece of history for the next generation of kids to look up to.

JACK BORBA
President, Straight Line Roofing & Construction

• Jim RiordanApril 29, 2013 - 9:41 am

What a shame Jack. For those who do not know him I can attest to the honesty, integrity and high level of customer care provided by Jack Borba's company. I have known Jack for years and would recommend his services to anyone. What was this principal Barnes thinking when he tore down a wall of local heros. Let me guess he wants to put up a wall of tenured bureaucrats? Put the photos back up mindless reptile! generations of local heros should not be robbed of their chance to show their kids their hard earned achievements.

• Robert Van GilderApril 30, 2013 - 10:56 am

Mindless reptile? LOL. I have had a few interactions with Mr. Barnes. He seems to be fairly level headed and respectful. (a couple things that require thought.) As to the wall of wonder---who knows. But I think a call to find out why, etc would be in order.

• Ron BriggsApril 30, 2013 - 7:33 pm

Jack is right. Matt, please put the "Wall" back up. It may be a small thing in the overall administration of a busy high school campus. But it is the small things in high school that many of remember. In the 70's I eagerly awaited my turn, my right of passage, to sit under the "senior tree". A beautiful large oak tree in front of the "old" building with a bench exclusively for seniors. Sitting in the shade of this lovely old oak tree waiting for a daring freshman was to never be, someone decided to cut it down. The "wall" is more than a right of passage. It's an achievement, a goal, an honor for kids who are willing to go the extra step to succeed. We need to embrace and encourage kids to go the extra step, if even for a year or two in high school. Traditions are good. Progress is good. History memorializes both. Matt, the "wall" is a good thing. Most sincerely, Ron Briggs Class of 75

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 30, 2013 - 7:53 pm

Mr Briggs -- I would agree with you if they also kept a wall for all the outstanding achievers in all categories. Just worshipping sports heroes (and I was one in high school) is perpetuating a distortion of our priorities as a society.

• DB SmithApril 30, 2013 - 8:20 pm

Kirk, This was in a WEIGHT room. Do you want to penalize a tradition because there isn't a monument for best dressed category award or a??? There are generally various kinds of awards in the hallways and gyms of the High School's I've been to. Don't punish the athletic group just because others may not want to put any effort into displaying their category of accomplishment. Don't be such a fuddy-duddy.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 30, 2013 - 8:50 pm

DB -- I understand it is a tradition shared by virtually all high schools in the nation, including my alma mater. One of the worst justifications for an action is: We've always done it that way. Where is the wall for academic achievement, not to mention an infrastructure to choose an "all-league" academic team. I'm not against the weight room wall of honor, I'm for the other walls that we should have to balance out our priorities. It is no coincidence that the least valuable profession -- professional athlete -- demands the highest pay, while the most valuable profession -- educators -- are treated like dog poop. I suggest you sleep on that one before you reply...

• DB SmithApril 30, 2013 - 9:02 pm

Not sleepy right now. Who do you think the awards were put up in the first place. I would suspect the athletic coaches showed interest and started doing it to promote school pride. I don't think anyone would get in the way of a Wood Shop teacher from displaying his students awards or a Drama teacher from displaying their acting achievement awards or a etc. etc.. You are trying make something out of nothing. Nighty nite to you.

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 30, 2013 - 9:13 pm

DB -- And you wonder why this country is on the wrong path...it's those blasted liberals -- not. It is misplaced generational/societal priorities. It's not your fault you can't think outside that box, even if it is made out of wet paper.

• DB SmithApril 30, 2013 - 9:33 pm

Wow ~ That's really deep Kirk. You're mentality is to tear it down unless we get every other category represented. Put up your "All-League Academic Team" wall. That would be great, and while you're at it you will need to put up every other category you can think of. I seriously don't think there is anything stopping anyone from displaying school achievements. Just quit squawking about it and do it but don't punish others that have been doing for a long time.

• DB SmithApril 30, 2013 - 9:47 pm

BTW Kirk ~ I wasn't a "Sports Hero" like you. I gained some achievement in music. When I went to the gym and weight room I got to see athletic achievement awards. When anyone went into to music room they got to see music achievement awards. Don't have to think out the box on that one. Duh!

• Kirk W MacKenzieApril 30, 2013 - 9:53 pm

DB -- Rest peacefully inside that wet paper bag.

• DB SmithApril 30, 2013 - 9:56 pm

BTW way Kirk ~ If a student athletic doesn't keep his academic scores to an acceptable level then he or she will never get to participate in sports or achieve an award to display. They work hand in hand and rightfully so. As a "Sports Hero" you should know that. Nighty nite.

Water rights detailed for EDWPA board

Supes pick 1% growth forecast

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Sanford trial keys off chain of evidence

Cedar Springs Waldorf offers open house

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

Supervisor responds to Small Farm rate issue

EDH APAC

Government regulations

Censorship?

Schedule: April 14-19, 2014

Sanders breaks through with race victory

By Bill Sullivan | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Lacrosse: Trojans battle but fall to St. Francis

By Brandon Anicich | From Page: A6

Softball: Grizzlies win wild one

Under the Scoreboard: April 13, 2014

Tennis: Golden Sierra vs Forest Lake Christian

El Dorado falls to Cosumnes Oaks

By Mike Bush | From Page: A7

Roundup: April 10-12

Tuvan Throat Singers perform at Harris Center

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B1

The Winner Is … Everyone

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Foothill gourmet: Bacon and cackle berries

By Donna Brown | From Page: B2