On July 16-19, Calvary Chapel Placerville and A Ranch of Light, a local youth-based equestrian organization, partnered to host a three-day equestrian camp for 29 middle school-aged students of El Dorado County whose lives have been devastated or affected by the impact of parental incarceration, addiction or a broken home. The purpose of this camp was to teach basic horsemanship as well as provide many other fun activities such as rock climbing/repelling and other related ropes activities, a professional archery range and personal discipleship and mentoring; all of which were centered around the life-saving message of Jesus Christ.
On behalf of Calvary Chapel and A Ranch of Light, we would like to say thank you to all who were involved in Camp Calvary 2013. First, we express our thanks to each and every person who supported us in prayer, in time and in resources, to make Camp Calvary a huge success.
At the beginning of 2013, we began with a budget of just a few hundred dollars, and less than 10 committed volunteers. Because of God’s faithfulness working through the generosity of His Church in this community, and a few of the small businesses, our budget was increased tenfold and our volunteer base to over 80-plus people ranging from high school students to retirees. Provision from the Lord has never been a challenge for Him and we truly believe that when it comes to His leading and calling, He loves to show His faithfulness.
With that said, we would like to express our gratitude to the following businesses and organizations in our community:
1. Stonecellar Homestead Camp Inc., a local non-profit organization dedicated to operating a historic education and preservation camp, who allowed us to host this camp at their facility. These guys are amazing. Without them, this camp would have lacked so much in natural beauty and the rustic atmosphere we were seeking. On their behalf, we would like to mention that there will be a fundraiser hosted by the Friends of Stonecellar on Aug. 31–Sept. 1 at the Crystal Basin Mountain Resort (formerly Robb’s Resort) where there will be an amateur and professional horseshoe tournament, chili cook-off and much more. For more information, visit cbmresort.com.
2. New Beginnings Ministry, for allowing us to use the parking lot at the Thrift & Gift on Missouri Flat Road to host a Rummage Sale fundraiser, and for also donating all of their proceeds from sales inside of the store on that day. Oh yeah, let’s not forget all those who donated their “rummage” to the sale, as well as all those who shopped.
3. Sarah Cain at Heracain Productions on Main Street in Placerville, for donating her time and resources in designing our information flyer and poster promoting the camp.
4. Sierra Gold Graphics on Placerville Drive, for donating the paper for our flyers and doing an incredible job with the print work.
5. Wilkinson Portables in Placerville, for making the long trip up to Stonecellar campground, donating their time and services.
6. R & S Hay Barn on Missouri Flat Road, for their donation to sponsor students for the camp.
7. California Custom Tee’s in Diamond Springs, for doing an incredible job on our volunteer and camper t-shirts. Ken did amazing work with a very difficult graphic.
8. The Mountain Democrat for helping us get the word out.
This list can actually go on and on because there were so many that stepped up to the plate to help us, even anonymously. So to everyone mentioned and unmentioned — you have our most sincere gratitude and appreciation; however the glory goes to our Lord Jesus Christ. Apart from Him all of our efforts are for nothing.
For those of you who are interested in knowing more about Camp Calvary for next summer, please contact Edde Anderson, youth pastor at Calvary Chapel Placerville, at email@example.com, or Jason and Aimee Palmer, operators of A Ranch of Light, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Ranch of Light will also offer an after school horsemanship training and discipleship program for all campers who attended Camp Calvary this year as well as prior years. For more information, visit the Website at aranchoflight.com.
Youth Pastor at Calvary Chapel Placerville