First Presidential Debate

The first debate between Governor Romney and President Obama was typical of these events. Governor Romney put in a strong performance while the president looked weak. But I don’t grade on “performance,” I grade on ideas. So what I heard was: “blah blah blah blah Cap tax deductions at, say, $15k blah blah blah blah blah.”

When confronted with the question of how to cut tax rates without adding to the deficit, Governor Romney offered a good idea: instead of wrestling with lobbyists and special interests over which deductions to eliminate, simply cap the amount that can be deducted. That is an excellent solution, and I gave the governor one point.

So after the first round of this title match my score card reads Romney 1, Obama 0.

KIRK MACKENZIE
Placerville

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 12, 2012 - 6:41 pm

I (and others) noticed Paul Ryan did not use the "deduction cap" solution to the loophole reduction problem in the VP debate. I wonder if the Romney camp got too much push-back from both parties in congress because it would so effectively eliminate their ability to trade loopholes for cash...?

• DarrinOctober 16, 2012 - 10:28 am

How strongly does one need to address the issue of Mitt. I think he will self destruct soon enough. There is no candidate I am familiar with who has tried to have as many positions on abortion in one lifetime as Mitt Romney. Great article by E.J. Dionne Jr., Published: October 14 titled "Romney the product" http://wapo.st/OBWJU7

• DarrinOctober 16, 2012 - 10:30 am

Two points about Mitt Romney that concern me. When John McCain ran for President 4 years ago, he picked Sarah Palin over Mitt Romney. SARAH PALIN!?! What has Romney done in those 4 years that now qualifies him to be President? GOP front man Newt Gingrich calls him a Liar. His own GOP Party nominee. Gingrich: Mitt Romney is a liar http://cbsn.ws/QdF7tL Is Mitt Romney a Liar? http://bit.ly/X9hY0A

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 16, 2012 - 11:07 am

Darrin -- you may be right about Governor Romney self destructing, but I wouldn't bet on it. Sure, he's a smarmy politician, but that's redundant. The deduction cap idea stands on its own as an excellent solution to the deduction/loophole quagmire.

• DarrinOctober 16, 2012 - 2:38 pm

Good point on the Smarmy... Two points about Mitt Romney that concern me. When John McCain ran for President 4 years ago, he picked Sarah Palin over Mitt Romney. SARAH PALIN!?! What has Romney done in those 4 years that now qualifies him to be President? GOP front man Newt Gingrich calls him a Liar. His own GOP Party nominee. Gingrich - Mitt Romney is a liar http://cbsn.ws/QdF7tL

• DB SmithOctober 16, 2012 - 2:49 pm

Darrin. Besides a bunch of gibberish, what has Obama and Biden done in the last 4 years that would qualify them to continue? Obama had absolutely OZeroO qualifications and look where that has got us. Romney/Ryan will bring us back.

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 16, 2012 - 2:55 pm

Darrin -- Point 2: Yes, Governor Romney is a lying politician...and that, too, is redundant. Point 1: I voted for McCain/Palin -- not because I thought either one were the messiah that would save us from our government, but because I trust our system of government. We had a Democratic congress and I trusted them to keep even a President Palin from doing too much damage. Our worst government occurs when one party controls the legislative, executive, and judicial branches. Today Republicans control the House and to a lesser degree the Judicial branch. The Senate is effectively constipated due to the faux filibuster scam. Democrats control the executive branch. We have achieved gridlock. And guess what? Gridlock has produced the lowest government spending to GDP ratio in six years. GO GRIDLOCK!

• James E.October 16, 2012 - 3:22 pm

Mr. MacKenzie, you voted for McCain/Sarah with the possibility that, given McCain's age, that Sarah would have become the President of the United States? I understand your rationale that a balanced government is more likely to get things done, but there is a limit. Your vote is yours to give, but consequences can be brutal. Will Paul be your new Sarah?

• DB SmithOctober 16, 2012 - 3:38 pm

Who will be your new Mrs. Clinton James E.?

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 16, 2012 - 4:02 pm

Mr E. -- if you understand my last comment, you would know the answer the your first question. As for which team I plan to vote for, the answer is blatantly obvious. And for the record, a real human being does not taunt others, no matter how pathetic.

• James E.October 16, 2012 - 4:49 pm

Mr. MacKenzie, yes, your last sentence is understood. As for taunting, I've made my point with those who have been silenced, and the silence will continue without further comments from me. I do try to be real, but like a sinner, I'm never 100%. Sometimes the Devil just takes over, both in debate and in sinning. I'll try to do better.

• James E.October 16, 2012 - 6:59 pm

I had to stop watching the debate -- will have to wait for the executive summary later. If you've ever been in a boardroom you will recognize Mitt Romney the CEO. He speaks boldly without being challenged as to the truth of his points, and if a hand is raised or comment made he waves it away and speaks over them with authority. Three more weeks!

• CatherineOctober 16, 2012 - 10:56 pm

Yes, three more weeks... and one more theatrical 'debate'. I never watch them, just read the transcripts for the modest content they provide. I vote by mail, so I'm done and can relax until Nov 6th.

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 17, 2012 - 7:00 am

I watched the whole thing (on CSPAN) and saw/heard nothing significant. The President won the "performance" aspect, IMO. Usually there are one or two valuable nuggets embedded in all the talking points and empty promises, but not last night. My wife votes by mail, but I still get a rush from voting in person.

• DB SmithOctober 17, 2012 - 8:11 am

Obama/Crowley won the "performance". They should be proud. "2 on one is chicken fun".

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment