Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Food Bank apology

In response to Rich Hartsell’s Letter to the Editor dated March 1, 2013 “Firefighters do care about the needy:”

I make no excuses. I made a mistake and personally take full responsibility for my actions. Thank you Mr. Rich Hartsell for calling me on this.

When I came in front of the Fire Board to ask for relief from the high fees of giving the Food Bank of El Dorado County a permanent home I offended many in the community. I was pained to see that my comments were perceived as firefighters do not care about the community. Nothing could be further from the truth and I apologize to anyone that I may have offended by my emotional response to an issue that I am passionate about, the Food Bank.

I felt that the Fire Board did not think the Food Bank was a high enough priority to consider reducing its fees. Unfortunately, I reacted rashly and made comments that were not only offensive but also that do not reflect what I believe. I know that firefighters care about the community, that they are willing to risk their lives for strangers. I sincerely apologize to anyone I offended with my poor communications skills.

Everyone knows that I am not a politician or an orator.

I am the founder and director of the Food Bank of El Dorado County. I have dedicated more than a decade to grow the Food Bank to one of the largest, most efficient and well-respected charities in the county. I am absolutely passionate about ending unseen hunger in El Dorado County. Part of my job as director is to see that every penny donated is used in the most cost-effective way. I pursue saving in every way to reduce overhead costs. This allows the maximum amount to be used on actual food services. That is my duty to the donors and to the community. It is the only way to feed the numbers of hungry we do every day in this county.

I do not apologize about my passion for the mission of the El Dorado County Food Bank. When my unbridled and sometime intemperate passion offends people, I thank people like Mr. Hartsell for calling my attention to it so that I can recognize it and change my tone so that it reflects my true intentions and beliefs.

MIKE SPROULL
Food Bank of El Dorado County

• Brent DavisMarch 10, 2013 - 4:20 pm

If the food bank is not financially able to pay the fees hen they should consider not taking on such a project. I'm curious why the current building is no longer sufficient or why finding a place already built for much less and no building fees.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMarch 10, 2013 - 6:17 pm

I know you are doing a great job--and donors know that. The churches and non profits know it. The fees that you are asking about--are they building fees? what kind of fees? and what is the amount ? we have learned by this paper that building fees are sky high in this county--so many have left...Are these the fees you are talking about? This statement of wanting a permanent home..."When I came in front of the Fire Board to ask for relief from the high fees of giving the Food Bank of El Dorado County a permanent home" what fee?

• Kirk MacKenzieMarch 11, 2013 - 8:52 am

Brent -- As I understand it, the push for a new building is based on several issues. The current warehouse is a rented part of the Strauss food complex off Enterprise in Diamond Springs. The current office is a donated space in Cameron Park next to Food For Less and Applebees. One motivation is to co-locate office and warehouse operations. Another is to replace variable assets (rent, temporary) with fixed assets. There are probably more. Your question of build vs buy is a good one and it's not clear to me why they have decided to buy.

• Kirk MacKenzieMarch 11, 2013 - 8:56 am

Frances -- Yes, these are building permit fees. The numbers I heard were between $25k and $32k. The total permit fees amounted to close to $90k.

• DB SmithMarch 11, 2013 - 9:05 am

I wonder if the MD is still planning to move their operation to the old Blockbuster building by Raley's and if they do what will happen to the current building the MD is currently in?

• DebbieMarch 28, 2013 - 9:07 pm

"I do not apologize about my passion for the mission of the El Dorado County Food Bank. When my unbridled and sometime intemperate passion offends people" This apology is something else it apologizes then it flips right back into a typical insult once again. Why has Michael remained at the helm of this organization for so long when for years his non professionalism has continued to insult so many? . last december he personally told my co workers we could not do a can drive at our work if he didn't approve it and cans were of no use only money. We still did our drive and donated to riverside foodbank. Instead of insulting people and always fixing it with saying our sorry again why don't you stop doing it? Do onto others, it works

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 45 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 11 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3