Food stamps abused

EDITOR: It should be that food stamps recipients can only buy staples that are on a list of necessity foods. Example: eggs, milk, bread, cereal, peanut butter, butter, margarine, seasonings, flour, meat (no steak or expensive cuts), milk and vegetables.

They should be issued to users in the user’s name and cannot be transferred to another person. Anyone caught abusing the system should be taken off the program for a minimum of six months and if caught again never be able to receive them again.

I have so many times stood in supermarkets and watched recipients buy the most expensive cuts of meats, candy, soda, potato chips and even lobster and king crab legs items that would be prohibitive to the even the middle income society. It actually makes you want to reach out and slap the person upside of the head when you know that you are the one purchasing in part these items.

MARTIN SCHUMANN
Placerville

• guy...November 14, 2012 - 11:59 am

I agree 100% !!!

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 2:24 pm

How did I miss this one? Yes sir Mr. Schumann. Good common sense stuff that I love to hear. I would also like to add that the recipients should have to prove that they are legal US citizens and they are actively trying to obtain employment.

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 3:00 pm

We need to remember that under the Obama Administration, there are currently 45 MILLION legal and non-legal recipients of Food Stamps. Looks like you can buy a vote with a Food Stamp or Ice Cream Cone.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 19, 2012 - 3:39 pm

LINK - Biden says Jersey Shore has 'homeboy' in the White House

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 5:26 pm

Mr. Smith. two comments without kid talk. Well done.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 5:32 pm

I agree with Mr. Schumann that there should be controls on food stamps. Even a liberal believes that lobster and king crab legs are over the top. But, for the record I have never seen food stamp recipients buy lobster and/or king crab legs.

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 6:29 am

Abuse in the welfare system? NO, say it isn't so. Those people are the disadvantaged, the poooor, the underprivileged, the downtrodden. Follow them home and see their flat screen tv that is bigger than yours. Give them a call on their cell phone that you pay for. Free lobster buys a lot of votes. The welfare system in this country is what funds the illegal drug trade. Imagine the intellectual dishonesty it takes to believe that we need to fund even more of it. Plato said that those who choose not to engage in politics are destined to be ruled by their inferiors. What a perfect description of California.

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 6:49 am

The union run schools are full of people with no marketable skills. Naturally they are going to produce people with no marketable skills. You can't teach what you don't know. Welfare in Welfare out. Government depedence producing government dependence. But they have seen algores stupid movie a dozen times by the time the reach high school. The largest single budget item in California is public education and for that we get people who are barely qualified to push shopping carts at walmart. I realize that is a broad brush but it is far more true than false.

• hair on fireNovember 21, 2012 - 6:50 am

cookie have you been following people home? I hate calling you a liar, so lets just say you have a vivid imagination.

• Middle GroundNovember 21, 2012 - 8:02 am

I believe some sort of minimal safety net is a good idea, however, it should be capped at 2 years lifetime per person. During that two years is plenty of time to learn a new skill, take a jr college course, get off drugs, heal from inhuries etc to make yourself employable. We should not just continue lifetime benefits. Of course this would never work: One party is completely against any net, and the other wants to give away everything.

• RightONtheMONEYCookie65November 21, 2012 - 9:02 am

Right on Cookie65! Sometimes the TRUTH hurts and it is TRUE what you say! I have seen it in lines at grocery stores, they have ONE Footstamp pile, and then ONE CASH pile, what's in the CASH pile? CIGARETTES, BEER, POTATOE CIPS, TWINKIES (SORRY COULD NOT RESIST ADDING THAT ONE!) AND ALL SORTS OF ITEMS INCLUDING COKE ETC. Wake up America....oh...sorry it's already too late! California my native State is in DEAD trouble. Time to MOVE out of here, taxes...taxes...taxes, sewer fees, eid water fees, pg&e higher rates etc. Right on Cookie....for saying it like it is!

• foamie mouthNovember 21, 2012 - 9:07 am

those footstamp piles make me sik

• BeenThereNovember 21, 2012 - 10:53 am

Food stamps will not purchase processed food. You can buy staples such as milk, eggs, flour, vegetables, fruit, some crackers etc but you can't purchase anything ready to eat, alcohol, candy, or cigarettes. How do I know? I was on food stamps for two months. If I had any of these products in my cart once my ebt food stamp card was swiped paid for the eligible items and I still had to pay the balance. If people want to waste their food stamps on ribeye, that is their choice, however, as far as everything else people seem to be so worried about, you CAN'T purchase them. The system won't allow it.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 11:43 am

Mr. BeenThere. It's been common knowledge that you can sell a food stamp benefit for less cash value and then get you choice of goodies with the cash. They have found with the ebt food card benefit that some store owners will swipe the card with a false purchase and give the card owner half of the value back in cash and the store owner keeps the remainder. Your 2 months of temporary food stamp assistance is a true example of how the system should work and I'm sure it was well need. But... the abuse and cradle to grave dependency on the food stamp system and other similar systems is what needs to stop and certainly should not be allowed to buy a vote.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 1:50 pm

To each of you who believes the "moochers" ideology, I hope your health and your money holds out. As I've mentioned before, I know someone who worked for 17 years, then became completely disabled. Can't work, and 2 years of rehab won't change that. They receive $898 per month to live on, they pay $100 for Medicare, and they receive $16 in food stamps. You live in a fantasy world if you think people want to be dependent. Programs need to be much better organized and run, but you never can tell when you yourself might need that safety net. You might try focusing your anger on those who truly don't pay their fare share.

• Foaming at the MouthNovember 21, 2012 - 2:01 pm

foamie mouth - quit imitating me!

• Foaming at the MouthNovember 21, 2012 - 2:04 pm

foamie mouth - stop imitating me!

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 2:37 pm

Reading the comments made this morning I wondered why all my Tea/Republican friends are so up in arms about food stamps. Checking around the Internet I see that Fox News and Rush are pushing the food stamp theme. I should have known, local parrots are just passing it on. Catherine, so true -- there but for the grace of God go I. Richard, hang in there. I've been opposing the insanity for many years. Without our opposition, our Tea/Republican friends would be out seizing food stamp recipients and burning them at the stake. What did Jesus say? Whatever you do to them, you do to me (loose translation). El Dorado Christians wanting to burn people at the stake. Just makes one wonder if they are really Christians or just faking it. If you deny food to the poor, you're just faking it -- now will come all the pious comments about all they are concerned about is food stamp fraud -- sure, that's the ticket.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 2:41 pm

Catherine, We all know of someone who has fallen on hard times and has needed assistance. That's the way it is and will always be that way. We know that we do need assistance programs. But what needs to change (as titled by you) is the "moochers" ideology. I'm so glad to hear you admit that these programs need to be much better organized and run. We agree on that. It is a huge problem when we have unwed and so called fathers and mothers who keep punking out children and looking forward to more government entitlements. It is a huge problem when we spend US tax payer money on folks that are here illegally! We could go on and on about all the different programs but I'm sure you get my drift. Happy Thanksgiving

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 2:47 pm

OK, Mr. Smith gave his turkey cooking guidance. Here's mine: For years I've suffered the white meat being overcooked, while the legs and thighs are undercooked. Given your turkey's weight, figure out the cooking time. Let's assume 3 hours at 350 degrees. Give your turkey a good rub down with butter (I know, but it's only once a year). Then put in the oven for 30 minutes at 500 degrees. After 30 minutes remove from oven and put a tin foil tent over the breast with the shiny side out. This will deflect the heat away from the breast. Put back in the over for 2 hours, 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Then remove and you will find both the breast and leg and thighs equally cooked. This guidance applies to Tea/Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and even those with no political leanings. Have a good one.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 2:53 pm

Mr. Smith, You're focused on the wrong end of the horse. The old saw about women pumping out babies to get their $248 per month is a tired lie. But I understand that if that's what the talking heads are spewing this week, you might want to follow along. In the global scheme of things food stamps are a non-issue.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 2:59 pm

No! Good heavens, man! The high heat comes first, then the lower heat. A little molasses on the skin to enhance browning. Yummy. Our little victim is brining now...

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:00 pm

Catherine, were you speaking globally in your previous post? I would say, and pertaining to the national scheme of things...when we have 45 MILLION people on food stamps that is one of many a huge issues.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 3:04 pm

Oh, wait... I misunderstood... Yours will be delightful.

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 3:09 pm

Catherine, I did say the high heat comes first for 30 minutes and then the lower heat for 2 hours, 30 minutes?? Help me here.

• BeenThereNovember 21, 2012 - 3:11 pm

Abuse of government systems will always happen because government is bound by too much red tape. Everyone has to be treated fairly and equally, even if those who use the system aren't using it fairly and equally. However, to assume that a majority of those using these systems are abusing them is insulting. Especially since I was on one of those systems and didn't abuse it. There will always be bad apples in the bunch, but to see a few rotten apples and assume the whole bushel is rotten is very close minded.

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 3:13 pm

Foaming at the Mouth, it has been noticed that you seek to lay claim to the words FOAM and MOUTH. Given your brazen attempt at identity theft, foamie mouth® has been registered with the Intellectual Property Office. Kindly stop/quit irritating me.

• Rose RodriguesNovember 21, 2012 - 3:22 pm

Over the last eight years I have had five children. If it were not for food stamps we would have starved.

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 3:27 pm

. . . and "Rose" has a computer?

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:29 pm

Rose Rodrigues, Assuming that you truly are who you say you are and have done what you say you have done, I would say that you and your other are are nincompoops for continuing to birth children that you were unable to feed properly.

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 3:30 pm

Ms. Rodrigues, I hate to say it, but you've just lobbed a soft ball to all my Tea/Republican friends.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:31 pm

Good point about the computer foamie and I love that trade mark.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:35 pm

Now Colonel, in all honesty sir, why would you hate to say that? No need to answer.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 3:38 pm

Nationally, food stamps benefits cost citizens and amount equal to tax exemptions for religious organizations. Perhaps the organizations receiving the exemptions should be required to feed people to keep their exempt status. The original "redistribution of wealth" comes from tithing, and tithing was typically a percentage of the harvest. Local churches should be all over this, but they're not, so the government has to step in.

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 3:38 pm

Mother of five "Rose" also has internet service and time to kill.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure Rose's story is a plant.

• CatherineNovember 21, 2012 - 3:43 pm

*** 'an' amount.....

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 3:43 pm

"Rose" read us right.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:47 pm

I agree Catherine. There should be some kind of system that the MD could utilize to help prevent this type of identity distraction. I will confess that I have used two identities on this system. Besides the obvious, I did use "sprinkle dinkles" only once. I beg forgiveness and I will never do it again.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 4:01 pm

Rose Rodrigues, I'm headed out of town early tomorrow morning but I want to provide you and the hoard with a couple of Turkey's for Thanksgiving. I'll meet you at the store of your choice. Please give me a description of your car and a time so that I can tag up with you.

• Carol JonesNovember 21, 2012 - 4:02 pm

Over the last seven years I have had five children. If it were not for food stamps we would have starved.

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 4:05 pm

Well Done, Mr. Smith.

• James E.November 21, 2012 - 4:07 pm

Mr. Smith, because I hate soft balls (which may be sent under a false name).

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 4:15 pm

Heaven loves productive people. Carol, you help make this nation great. Rose too.

• arnold langeNovember 21, 2012 - 4:36 pm

the arguement about food stamp recipients should include the reasons why so many people are in need. NO JOBS, or disabled (or unfortunate children of irresponsible parents). it seems like the attitude of certain people here is to let them starve. the bush administration cripple our economy and now it's open season on the unemployed. so pathetic. mr schuman may not realize but all those controls are already in place. as far as buying a steak or expensive fish, that is the choice of the recipient. as far as buy cigs and OMG! a six pack using cash, food stamps are designed to SUPPLEMENT food purchases. JOBS JOBS JOBS. that is the issue.

• foamie mouth®November 21, 2012 - 5:12 pm

(full disclosure) my real name is not foamie mouth®

• Sherlock H.November 21, 2012 - 5:19 pm

Foaming thought he'd trick us by hiding behind Rose's skirts. What's the clue? Elementary, my dear Watson!

• Thomas GibneyNovember 21, 2012 - 8:40 pm

Wow you all put energy into this anymore...??

• Rebecca MozelliNovember 22, 2012 - 8:58 am

Over the past 6 years I have had 5 children. This is because my husband is a right wing fanatic who forbids abortion and birth control. Thanks for the food stamps.

• me tooNovember 22, 2012 - 9:08 am

over the past 5 years i've had 6 children. can i sine up on the internet for food stamps?

• mother jonesNovember 22, 2012 - 9:11 am

becky, when db smith comes back he's taking rose rodrigez to beye a turkey. maybe he'll take u 2.

me too

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 11:14 am

Food Stamps

• Greenwood BillNovember 22, 2012 - 10:34 pm

Amazing amount of ignorance here. Sad thing is you mouth-breathers are allowed to vote and worse, reproduce.

• EvelynNovember 30, 2012 - 8:11 am

Well . . . this thread seems to have had a pretty checkered past! But here goes. WALMART IS ‘THE LARGEST RECIPIENT OF PUBLIC AID IN THE COUNTRY’: Grayson … [said] their low wages force workers to take food stamps, housing assistance and Medicaid just to get by. ********** http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/27/grayson-walmart-is-the-largest-recipient-of-public-aid-in-the-country/

• DB SmithJuly 30, 2013 - 2:46 pm

More food stamp abuse. Actually this is more than abuse. http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/07/shaunna_o_connell_urges_ebt_review_include_overseas_food

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A2, 1 Comment