Friday Chris Daley column

From page A5 | November 20, 2013 | 7 Comments

Chris owes the library, the public and the disadvantaged kids of the county a big apology for his Friday tirade. The Christmas tree in our library is the Giving Tree. Many people in the area take one, two or more names of disadvantaged kids from the tree and buy Christmas presents for them. That tree has been there for years for the same reason.

Next time, Chris, look before you leap and put your foot in your mouth. How about a written apology?

LARRY CALDERWOOD
Placerville

• CherylNovember 18, 2013 - 4:35 pm

Or better yet Chris, go get a couple of names off of the giving tree and get some kids some presents!

• Fran DuchampNovember 18, 2013 - 5:00 pm

Larry....How about my written apology? Seems interesting to have you ask for one. All the money spent on furnishings in the library could have gone to the kids. Remember the $5,000.00 from people who had no money...they gave it to the library trusting you would do the right thing. You guys bought carpet. On a public building. Chris does a good job...now I wish I knew what he wrote. But Larry--no crying about the kids--because you didnt care up here with ours. All people should watch where their donations are going.esp. now in El Dorado County.

• Fran DuchampNovember 18, 2013 - 5:05 pm

The library has sold out and its only salvation right now are the little ones. They have promoted e-readers...done away with jobs by having self serving checkouts (has the director taken a cut?). If you really want to help children...give to the salvation army. Give to your nearest church. Libraries are suppose to be the hubs of technology...give the money to schools instead. they are trained to teach reading...to understand that not everyone has a comp. I can still hear your voice Larry. Fran. I was so mad I was in tears--remember.

• Dee#1November 18, 2013 - 5:24 pm

Fran, I feel your frustration at Larry, but am confused why you would want to punish the libraries. The libraries provide books, access to computers and I guess access to e-books, magazines and newspapers. Their function isn't to teach reading, it is to promote a love of reading and access to materials. Of course, the library is trying to use equipment that is less labour intensive. This saves personnel costs which can then be translated into new books, computers and other supplies. I don't use the library much because I read so much that their selection is usually unsatisfactory, however, I donate books that purchase especially for them, both adult and children and sponsor a magazine. But you are right, you should always be careful to donate in trusted charities and know where the money goes.

• Fran DuchampNovember 18, 2013 - 10:18 pm

Dee I am not going to argue with you--I know what happen here in Pollock--I know Larry. the libraries have shot themselves in the foot...not me. Give money to the schools library. We had the money to buy land to move the library up here...they bought carpet, matching bookcases, and plants--which are all dead now. and a storage unit. but people still bring their books to me...because they know I wont rip off the covers and throw them away. Come on up and visit me...ill take you on a tour...of all the places a group of people who gathered some money created for our children...they are all being destroyed in the name of economic development. Up here Dee--I get accused of starting trouble--yet Harper just put the old article about the library being a jewel...that started the lies to begin with...so it is not me. Ask Larry--he is the one that called and suggested I stop my line of questioning.so to see him "bully" someone into a letter of apology--wheres mine? I was right about the libraries history--not the librarian...yet I was the one told to mind my own business. It is just like worldbook night--I brought that to their attention two years ago...no one was interested....FOL didnt have the time. Teachers were the primary givers that year. How about we dont ever talk about the library again. All I know is that some groups seem to forget there are already organizations for children...and they are competing for the money. Up here a business told me once...after all the adult groups come through--I have no more money for the kids when they come through. The library stands for Democracy for me...for free knowledge...it is an American idea. and if Chris hates the whole thing--he has the right to say so. I didnt even sue when the dogs --who were not suppose to be at the library came out and attacked my dog...who was leased. I could of sued the county...and I didnt because I believe in libraries...and government and "doing the right thing" like not supporting the roundabout. So Dee that all the energy I have left on that subject...let me know when one of the librarians tells you to mind your own business--when you know a history of a place. and you honor that history.

• Fran DuchampNovember 18, 2013 - 10:22 pm

And yes im ranting. It is why most people here are saying..no...dont bring up the library to Fran...lolololol

• PatriceNovember 20, 2013 - 9:39 am

Fran, I learn from you. Your "rant" is so appreciated and understood. Your passion and compassion is admirable.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment