Cops using phones while driving

EDITOR: As a law-abiding citizen it has really gotten under my skin how blatantly people ignore the hands-free law. Every day I see people on the phone or texting.

But the main reason I am writing this letter is because some of those people I see driving and holding their cell phones are our law enforcement, and I see it daily. Not just this county, but all over California.

People may say that they are conducting business, but I see them laughing and have even heard conversations and I can tell you it wasn’t business. And even if it is business, they should pull over and conduct it in a safe manner as I do. Are they above the law? Shouldn’t they lead by example?

And since I’m getting things off of my chest, does Placerville know what the center lane is for? I do; it’s for merging and left turns. And yes, it is legal to turn right on a red unless otherwise posted. Thank you.

BRAD WHITE
Placerville

• 3/rdMarch 18, 2013 - 7:40 am

A friend of mine was pulled over for talking on his phone. He was in the wrong, and received a ticket. He asked the Placerville police officer "how come you can talk on your phone and I can't?" The officer responded "we are excempt from your laws" I thought the law applied to everyone. I guess not here in the "People's Republic of Placerville"

• chrispytahoeMarch 18, 2013 - 9:29 am

Cops are pigs.

• BFMarch 18, 2013 - 11:02 am

The cops were harassing all the folks at PJs yesterday - Sunday. The Boose Fighters were hosting a party and cops were all over the area. Folks were afraid to even stop by...Our rights are being stepped on more every day.

• G. BradshawMarch 18, 2013 - 11:25 am

I agree folks rights are sometimes stepped on, but I was one of the 300+ bikers at that party yesterday put on by the Boozefighters M.C. and I didn't witnessed any harassment, I never even saw a cop anywhere around..Party was awesome, lotta fun!!.

• robertdnollMarch 18, 2013 - 1:14 pm

i was there,good time, lots of people.RJ and Rod, thank you

• 3/rdMarch 18, 2013 - 8:35 pm

Ok, everyone had a good time at PJ's.! Can we get back to why the cops get to use there cell phones while driving? Hello!!

• swileyMarch 18, 2013 - 9:14 pm

They get to use cell phone for the same reason they get to break all those other laws. The problem is, they seem to forget that they should only break laws while in pursuit. I dont know how many times Ive seem them pull a U-Turn across double yellow lines AFTER giving a ticket for the exact same offence. Bad PR if you ask me.

• billMarch 18, 2013 - 11:25 pm

CVC 23123(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties. And the cops were there because the Boozefighters are classified as an outlaw motorcycle gang.

• 3/rdMarch 19, 2013 - 12:22 am

Really Bill? Really? All laws should apply to everyone! They have plenty of communications in there hopped up cars to connect with anyone. They dont need to talk to there girl friends while on duty! Come on dip wad..It's wrong anyway you look at it!

• 6th Gen EDCMarch 19, 2013 - 5:05 pm

I not using my name because lets just say it could cause some ripples in the family. I recently had a heated discussion with a PPD and asked the same question. Lets call this person Barney. Big Barn said and I quote "do as I say and not as I do" regarding him using his cell phone while driving. I'm still shocked that he is able to fit through my front door with that giant chip on his shoulders or his big head. As my grandfather always refers to PPD "just a bunch of Barney one-bullets".

• 3/rdMarch 19, 2013 - 9:10 pm

This town is such a joke! Everybody keep bending over! Stood in line at Raley's during lunch hour next to some fire department boys. They sure are proud of there jobs! I had to laugh when one the "special people" forgot his radio at the counter. Thank God it wasn't his cell phone!

• Tom GibneyMarch 27, 2013 - 8:37 am

Not all cops are perfect this is true. With the way the laws are now, it's a wonder they can do their jobs at all. That being said , I too have seen many a local pd and sheriff on the phone while at the wheel. Most of us are familiar with the cell phone 'cop drop' ..come on admit it. In anycase I like the people like Chrispy who states all 'cops are pigs' Until of course you need a cop then your kissing their butt ...or perhaps telling them how to do their job? Again not all cops are perfect especially given what they have to work with...so if they use their phone once in a a while I don't care, If I see them with a beer in the cruiser...well that's another story..

• To 3 r/dMarch 27, 2013 - 8:52 am

If this county is such a joke, do us all a favor and leave. If you cannot have respect for our first responders, I hope trouble never finds you- whether it is a medical issue or your safety is at threat. To me, our officers an fire department are "special". Please do not refer to them as "boys", its disrespectful. Your immaturity and ignorance goes above and beyond. I hope you have a life changing experience to which you will be thankful for the "fire department boys" or to the police officer that had to use his phone. In the end, your job probably isn't comparable to putting your life at risk, instead you choose to slander them on the mountain democrat website. Kudos to you bro! You have a lot to be proud of.

• chrispytahoeMarch 27, 2013 - 9:36 am

Cops and especially 'firepeople' are overpaid under worked glorified civil servants. There when I need them? Are you kidding? Those fire boys let my spouses home burn down along with 250 other homes in the Angora fire so they could justify more days of premium pay and federal backing. FACT. Every cop I have ever known personally has big truck little di(k authority issues. Not a fan of either entity.

• Tom GibneyMarch 27, 2013 - 10:29 am

• robertdnollMarch 27, 2013 - 10:51 am

of course they can,they don't the meaning of the word fear.Along with a lot of other words

• Jim RiordanMarch 27, 2013 - 2:03 pm

Chrispy Critter: Seems as though you know more about their genitalia than the work they do. No firefighter or law enforcement person I know would ever let homes burn for their personal gain. And, I can honestly say that I have no personal knowledge about their Genitalia as you claim to. . . . If I ever find the need to, I will ask to borrow your kneepads.

• Ernie LouisMarch 27, 2013 - 2:50 pm

On Duty Law enforcement officers and firemen on cell phones is Ramped and illegal. If it’s so important, get a head set. Ernie Louis

• Jack MartinMarch 27, 2013 - 3:24 pm

chrispytahoe.... having read many of your other left wing liberal rants, I would have also bet the farm that you hate cops. Funny you call them overpaid and underworked. How much money would someone have to pay you to kick in the door of a house with a known armed-and-dangerous assailant waiting on the other side? A big mouth, insult-hurling keyboard warrior like you would not do it for ANY amount of money. You don't have the guts. And yet you deem yourself fit to judge those who do. You're pathetic.

• cookie65March 27, 2013 - 4:53 pm

I asked a CHP that I know about their use of cell phones and he said that they get info that they don't want broadcast on the open airwaves. I know many times they are being used for other reasons but it would be hard to sneak up on a bad guy who had a scanner using a motorola.

• DB SmithMarch 27, 2013 - 4:59 pm

Jim, I was thinking the same thing about this Tahoe Yuppie Chrisp guy. I think the altitude must be getting to him like it affects Obumbo. But who knows...he could be an expert on male junk. I'm sure law enforcement could weigh in.

• chrispytahoeMarch 27, 2013 - 5:30 pm

Me and my family are an ARMY family. We are being deployed next year to Kuwait. So STFU. Why do I have to be a liberal to hate cops? I am a fiscal moderate, gun owning, free thinking social liberal. I think many of you are ignorant about cops and firepeople. I have been to more than a few parties and hve seen these people doing cocaine and smoking dope. Heck, the local Barney here in tahoe just got busted for sex with underage girls and drugs!

• chrispytahoeMarch 27, 2013 - 5:38 pm

"I am just curious if the naysayers here would be able to do the job of a cop or a firefighter day in and day out...?" You mean sit around 95% of the time and do nothing? Punctuated by 5% sheer adrenaline and fear? Heck yea. Why not? What is it with you people looking at these servants as 'heroes'? What about our military? Our teachers? Our mental health workers? They are paid to do a job and know the risks. Stop putting them up on a pedestal.

• chrispytahoeMarch 27, 2013 - 5:44 pm

And get ready America! Your local Barneys will soon be using DRONES to legaly spy on you and the missus doing the horizontal mombo! More freedoms are eroded everyday and copy are instruments of those freedoms. But I expect apathy from native Californicators! You have let your state become one of the biggest jokes in the country!

• John StevensMarch 27, 2013 - 8:31 pm

The exemption to the allow that allows public safety (police & fire) is not specific to El Dorado County. Sorry to disappont those who have posted that the county is corrupt because local law enforcement use their cell phones while driving. I'm pretty sure most people would understand if law enforcement/fire make an "illegal" turn; chances are they are responding to a call. I think it is justified if using a cell phone while driving means a deputy is receiving additional information that should not be broadcast over the scanner or making an "illegal" turn means he responds sooner to a call for service. It is easier to monitor the scanner thanks to the new "apps" for phones. Not sure everyone in the county needs to know the details regarding sensitive and volatile situations. Easy to judge without the facts. Law enforcement and fire have to pass pretty tough written, background, physical and psych evaluations. Not sure most of those who posted could pass one of the tests let alone all.

• cookie65March 28, 2013 - 9:54 am

John Stevens, I have a dispute with your last claim. Years ago I had the misfortune to meet an individual while he was in High School. I met him thru an ROP program he was taking thru High School. He ended up where I was working because his dad was a North Sac CHP. He was at that time one of the most clueless, dishonest people I had ever met. He ended up getting thru the academy and got hired by Sac PD. I knew several CHP's at the time who told me this guy would never make thru the academy. This is him from 2004....http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=7791

• FiredogMarch 28, 2013 - 10:54 am

What's the matter CrispyWhiner? Why the hate? One of us take your girlfriend? Or maybe you failed the psych exam (which is more likely from the looks of your rants)... They have meds for your condition, get help.

• jriordanMarch 28, 2013 - 11:45 am

Good Job John Stevens, Firedog, Jack Martin and thanks DB Smith. Chrispy, maybe you and your kneepads should go to more upscale parties or perhaps no one invites you to the ones where the good guys are. And since you seem to "frequent" those types of parties, and then talk down the local "Barney" you talk out of both side of your mouth and, funny, neither side makes any sense. Maybe a few too many of those "parties" eh?

• Jim RiordanMarch 28, 2013 - 11:59 am

G. Bradshaw. I wonder how many people know that the Boozefighters MC was started in 1946 by returning WWII vets, many of them pilots, who had spent the last several years fighting for OUR freedom. Plus, RJ Cowboy Carter is a darn good guy who does an amazing job with Toys for tots and other rides for charitable organizations. It was good to see his smiling face sitting on his new bike.