Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Grateful for Pollock Pines Library

I have read various letters online and in print form to your letter from Francesca Duchamp about the Pollock Pines Library.

I have such opposite opinions about this library that I feel it is crucial to give my positive input.

I’ve visited and checked out items from this wondrous, well-stocked little library for years. And I will say, it looked a bit neglected. It is after all, over 50 years old.

I have been charmed and encouraged by the loving improvements to our “gem” over the last couple of years. I’ve sat, relaxed and read in the comfy readying area, newly added a year or so ago. (And kids seem to really love the stuffed chair, too.) I marveled at the replacement of the sad, worn, old carpet. The place smells and looks cleaner and neater. Everything seems better organized, easier to find.

I love the colorful and happy mural on the outside of the library on a wall that had been peeling before; it always makes me smile when I drive into the parking lot. I feel welcomed.

To attack a caring and productive group of people who made these improvements is incomprehensible. These improvements show a common sense approach to a small, aging facility for which there is no budget to replace. They show love and honor and respect.

The two librarians amaze me in their respectfulness, friendliness and competence. I thank them for being there.

I love to see the children’s joy, enrichment and massive quantities of books they and their parents carry out. l’ve been there a couple times when the staff was holding special kids’ events, and I joined right in: what fun. I saw llamas, and other animals, and enjoyed their summertime ice cream.

This is a small library, but it is being preserved, cherished and well-staffed in a way perfect for our precious little town. We should only be grateful it’s here, and long may it reign. I encourage others who feel similarly to write in; Pollock Pines is a special community, and one of its finest assets needs support, not attack.

SHARON PARKER
Pollock Pines

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 09, 2013 - 3:30 pm

Most people in town know me as Fran-since I work on so many projects…mostly for children. I was treasurer for the Friends of the library for three years—stepping down in 2011—it is our groups money that we raised and received that they are spending. So you feel that spending almost 10,000 on decorations--it was a “good” thing (people are entitled to their opinion). Even though the county is responsible for maintenance of its own buildings…they needed to pay the 5,000—not the people in this town, as a member of our community you feel that this is right? Im glad to hear that have been charmed and encouraged by the loving improvements to our “gem” over the last couple o fyears …since I was there…this new group came in last year. Replacing carpet is NOT the issue…the issue is that the county should have paid for it. Not the people in Pollock. To to address this again—children should have painted it or even a local artist—I was there…we had people who work in this community offering to paint and fix the outside for Free—the whole building. They did not follow rules period. They refused to even listen to our recommendations—as a group who had worked on these funds for three years. They did not go to the corporate board to present this first…mis management of funds. Taking the donations from people in this town, and spending them foolishly on carpet that is supposed to be paid for-- out of a county building maintenance fund is just irresponsible. It was irresponsible on their part and the director of the library. This is a county building PERIOD …it was not their right to decide to do this…PERIOD. .I was the treasurer of the FOL for three years—we did the same thing…this group has done nothing different than spending lot s of money—that was not theirs. MY grandson has been photographed over and over for ten years—I live next door. This library because of certain groups—is losing its history period. The main librarian is part responsible for this…October 19th 2011 article in the mountain democrat (quote) “The Dogwood Garden Club is responsible for the momentum for us to be here in the first place,” said Smith. (Unquote) This is not true period. I do thank you for opening more doors for me. Im hoping someone actually knows the library and everything my group did...this new group--nothing new--EXCEPT SPENDING LOT S OF MONEY ON A CARPET THAT THE COUNTY WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR...and if the county decided it was okay for it to be 30 years old--well. Agin big names in town would have fixed it up and painted for free...think about that. Doors you have opened...I am federally disabled--bumped into that chair several times...almost where my legs have been amputated in order to have knees replaced. New space for kids...they moved the book cases closer in that area--because of my walking difficulties...can get through. I treasure this library and its true history. What is becoming very apparent--is how little history of this library is known. Harvey West...gave us a building for our minds....he gave us a building for our hearts and soul-built the chapel at our Pollock Pines Community Church for his son David who passed on early in life(dedication is still there) and all of you siding with this expenditure...are really missing the meaning behind what he gave us. Any group trying to take this away from these people who dreamed and created this library...should really learn our history up here. Once again this is about USING DONATIONS TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT THE COUNTY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 09, 2013 - 3:48 pm

We can always hold a town meeting--I have already asked the director--she did not respond ;)

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 09, 2013 - 4:53 pm

Once again here is my phone number--6444072...I would love to talk to anyone...we can talk about what my group did in the three years before the one year of the new group...such as being in the parade...programs....fund raisers...bringing nonprofits and business together...an example being the address book put out by one of our groups...or being awarded money from the commerce...we can talk about the property that is available for the movement of the building--that even the library commissioner had said could be added onto. Our community center was built by the people--and is still maintained by the people...YOU ARE UNDERESTIMATING THIS TOWN.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 09, 2013 - 6:56 pm

lolololol...Sharon E "milford" Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - ObituaryRecords, Died in 2004 - U.S. ... www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_act=step2Obt&firstName=Sharon&midName=E "... Sponsored: Archives - Archives.com Sharon E. "milford" (milford) Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - ObituaryRecords, Died in ... www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_act=step2Obt&firstName=Sharon&midName=E. ... Sponsored: Archives - Archives.com Sharon Elizabeth (milford) Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - ObituaryRecords, Died in 2004 - ... www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_act=step2Obt&firstName=Sharon&midName=Eli... Sponsored: Archives - Archives.com Sharon Lee Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - DeathRecordsSSDI, Died in 2008 - Social ... www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_act=step2DR&RecordType=2&firstName=Sharon... Sponsored: Archives - Archives.com Sharon L Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - DeathRecordsSSDI, Died in 2002 - Social Security ... www.archives.com/GA.aspx?_act=step2DR&RecordType=2&firstName=Sharon... hopefully none of these are you ;)

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 09, 2013 - 7:00 pm

Sharon E "Milford" Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - Died in 2004 - U.S. ... Sharon E. "Milford" Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - Died in ... Sharon Elizabeth (Milford) Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - , Died in 2004 - Sharon Lee Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - , Died in 2008 - Sharon L Parker, Pollock Pines, CA, US - , Died in 2002 - hopefully none of these people were your relatives... interesting

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 10, 2013 - 11:16 am

I still feel that using donations for carpet is very wrong...it did not go through correct channels--people in town did not know--and I'm wondering how the director presented it...did the supervisors just trust her to present her case honestly ? or did they know ? The FOL at Pollock did not even honor the corporate bylaws (director should also be aware of these laws). Every one can have a go at me in the paper--people are now starting to ask me--if I need them to respond. Ive told them not yet...I don't need people to take sides...I still have lots of stuff. I was just asked if this will close down the library--I would think that the intellectuals that watch over it--wouldn't allow it. But it is nice to know that people would stand out in front with me...this is a strong town. Although I am wondering if the people watching over our library --really read any more--since some of the comments are way out there--but it does open doors :) Still if you read my words--the main issue is the spending of the towns money on carpet for a public building... Many have shared with me recently--the people are watching and reading Ms Amos ...enjoy From a dear friend in New York (director/television) Surplus wealth is a sacred trust which its possessor is bound to administer in his lifetime for the good of the community. --Andrew Carnegie Artist and designer from Los Angeles--are they kidding? (regarding the mural on the side of the library) Business owner-- Spending money just because you have it and taking the least path of resistance to make an issue go away instead of following the purchasing manual is neither legal or moral. Reading specialist-- Editor, I have also been following this issue. I do not understand why a county-owned facility (Pollock Pines Library,) was re-carpeted with DONATED funds. Im saving the others...if the director misrepresented herself to the BOS--apologize. Out of the directors budget-- the $5000.00 to the FOL at Pollock-return this library to the towns people--let a artist from up here work on the wall...or better yet--children (quote) Displaying their work on library walls gives those children a sense of pride and ownership, thus creating this type of relationship with the library. The more a child is in a library, the more books they will have an opportunity to explore.(unquote) I just went to the library... (in order to vote on things--i just have to keep showing up to discover what that might be)...someone might want to remind your manager up here to keep breakables and long cords out of the children s section. And watch how high books are stacked--one little one climbing up on the cases--it may all come falling down. P.S. someone suggested that the supervisors may be innocent in all of this...and that they were just supporting what they believed the whole town wanted , as presented by the director...I don't know. I have sent all of this to the public over-site committee--maybe they can figure it out. I know that my group would not have done this...we were a small group and didnt feel we had the right to make major decisions for a whole town...I would have called a town meeting, But never for the buying of carpet--county building--county maintenance Fran DuChamp Statement..my issues as shown through emails and letters are with the main librarian up here...the children s librarian just does her job--and does it really well. Doesn't get involved in the politics--just concentrates on finding new crafts and reading materials for the children. I am now interested in how money has been used towards the little library throughout the years...an article in the paper--suggests that the people at Camino were encouraged to go to Placervilles library--which upped their numbers and closed the Camino library. Interesting. I do not separate Camino from Pollock...even our community center reads Pollock and Camino...I think this library should as well. Camino residents are part of who we are...part of our history. If people want to continue calls 6444072--I hope I answered your questions.

• James E.January 10, 2013 - 11:29 am

Reference library: Who? Don't know, What? New carpet. When: Not sure. Where: In the library, How: New Carpet was attached to the floor. Will this develop into a scandal?

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 10, 2013 - 2:13 pm

@ James...it is already a scandal...lololol. They keep opening doors...I left my phone number on line because It hurts to type at times--and I cant afford the dragon program... So people keep a calling ;)and iM just answering their questions. :)

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 15, 2013 - 5:25 pm

I just recieved this in my email....so I thought id share...it is going out tonight by the author: A friend from Community Economic Development of Pollock Pines, and several fellow Friends of the Pollock Pines Library, recently gave me copies of a letter sent to all the members. They expressed a desire to rein in the out-of-control letter writer whom many said was a former library committee member and a "well known local pain in the ass." As a former newspaper reporter and editor, I read her letter and gagged, choking on both the content of the letter and the jumbled wreckage that passed for grammar. My friends quickly applied that huggy Heimlich thingie until I was again breathing normally. And then I came to the second paragraph, the one that stated “I am an educator.” Blindsided by that horrifying claim, I collapsed in a violent seizure, moaned in agony at the writer’s vicious assault on my beloved English language and crawled to my desk, rummaging furiously for a blue pencil. I felt duty-bound to correct the tortured screed using the grading policy of the lovely Miss Lantz, my babe of a fantasy squeeze middle-school English teacher. I deducted three points for each grammatical, syntax and/or sentence structure atrocity, and five points for misspellings (more points off for misspellings since they are avoided by simply opening a dictionary). I gave the paper a charitable gentleman's F-minus. (The result was an astounding minus nearly 300 points.) the author must be able to afford the dragon program--I can not...this email does not bother me...I already said that I have trouble typing thses days--I have trouble walking as well....

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm

AND THE LETTER GOES ON...The pouty pen wielder has since followed up with several more letters written to any person or publication whose address she could rip from the phone book, even to publications as far away as South Lake Tahoe. As the letters pile up it becomes clear that her beef is not so much with the Friends of the Library board's fiscal decisions as it is with the Pollock Pines librarian herself. Since librarians are in no position to become ensnared in this asinine political vendetta, I – in my self-appointed role as bully-stopper and slayer of hot-air dragons – gladly enter the dustup to shield our beloved public servant. So the remainder of this letter is addressed to you, the letter-writing bully who just doesn't know when to shut up. If that meager FOL fund was indeed meant to purchase local land and build a replacement branch library, let’s get real here. As I understand it the pre-new-rug fund stood at something around 10 large. My arithmetic says at this rate we might raise the $1 million-plus building fund in a mere 233 more years. Factoring inflation, however, by then we will need somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 mil, and that lofty neighborhood does not describe Pollock Pines. Instead of settling in for the centuries-long wait, the FOL chose to spend about $5 grand on a badly-needed new industrial carpet. It would have cost three times that if not for the dozens of hands and backs the FOL volunteered for two days of hard labor emptying the shelves and furniture and later humping back every heavy box of books to its proper shelf. (And hey,

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 15, 2013 - 5:42 pm

:) AND ON...bully, I didn't see your face among the community volunteers). Replacing the old worn , torn and stained carpet was a serious health and safety issue, not a needless cosmetic exercise, so the FOL stepped in because the county is, as if you didn't know it, a little short of extra coin. The FOL, NOT just the librarian, voted to fund the carpet project because, well, that is called democracy. But a democracy expects more from a disgruntled loser than to wage a public vendetta just because the Friends of the Library did not see things her way. Majority rules in this country. An "educator" should know this. You also criticize the librarian for not spending that money on educational programs and on books, again ignoring the fact that these decisions are made by the FOL, not by the librarian alone. Also, you know that our small building shares the media resources of every other public library in the county. Nor did you cite our local librarians' work in bringing the outside world to Pollock Pines. This tiny library offers programs for patrons of every age, including weekly storytelling sessions complete with related arts, crafts and homemade treats for all the kids – provided by our librarians. This year's adventures included a summer reading program; first-person history from actual holocaust survivors; pigging out at ice cream socials in the library parking lot; and learning about the bees, inspecting a busy working hive and sampling delicious honey from a valley beekeeper/educator. We also got to meet and pet a live owl, a fat raccoon, a scary snake, a big-eyed Madagascar lemur and even a five-foot alligator with long, sharp teeth -- all arranged by our very own Pollock Pines librarians. These women and a host of volunteers provide the community’s only full-time cultural offerings. While I don't know our librarians well, I am often at the library and marvel at the way Wendy and Kris treat every patron as a member of the family, making sure nobody leaves empty-handed. In the face of severely limited resources they are professional librarians thriving under tough conditions (as the good Dr. Hunter S. Thompson said, "When the going gets tough, the tough turn pro").

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 15, 2013 - 5:46 pm

AND THE FINAL PART :So don't you dare go after either of our librarians with your overbearing, personal agenda-laden letters and hate-mongering. Besides embarrassing the community (others could easily get the impression that your rambling posts are representative of the level of Pollock Pines' "educators"), think about how it makes you look to all of us who see you attacking people we hold in very high esteem. How about picking on someone your own size? I, for one, have no aloha for you and I‘m tired of your attention-seeking bullying. So I'm calling you out right now. Let's put an end to this at high noon in the library parking lot on any day of your choosing. You load up on all that overbearing self-importance and self-loathing vitriol. I (cue the minor chord Mexican guitar soundtrack) will be sporting a jaunty white Stetson, armed with weapons clearly out of your reach: a dictionary, a thesaurus, a style manual, an education ... and a life. To further identify myself I eschew (look it up) the typical coward's cloak of anonymity. My name is Michael D. Lopez, and I AM a Friend of the Library. PS: I was in imediate doubt when you claimed to be an "educator," yet wrote more in the style of a high school dropout so I did some due diligence. UCLA cannot verify conferring even one degree upon you, much less two. And Ancestry.com does not show you as even a distant relative of the late artist Marcel Duchamp ─ or did you mean Sonora saloonkeeper/artist Delroy"The Dawg" Duchamp who did, in fact, recently paint credible silhouettes of a ram and a ewe on his restroom doors? PPS: On second thought, if I am not afraid to use my name, you, Fran Duchamp, should be brave enough to use yours. WOW thanks for all the attention...I just felt using peoples donatuions for a county buildings carpet was wrong...if it hadnt been fixed in thirty years--you need to talk to the director ...have a great night ;)

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 8:04 am

I agree with Sharon Parker, this library is a gem, one of my favorite things about Pollock Pines. I'm wondering how long they tried to get county funds for carpet, probably a very long time knowing how government works. So they fixed it up themselves for the pleasure of the community with volunteers helping with moving books and organizing. Don't understand the problem with the mural either. The more Fran complains, the more I think this is just sour grapes on her part. Guess I am not supposed to say anything about that though or she will start looking up info on me on the internet (creepy by the way). To the librarians, thanks for making such a nice, cozy library!

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 8:22 am

lololol...well I see this letter went to print...I thought about replying in the paper again....but I find womderful people reading on line--by this time people must know this is a diversion from the oringinal letter....We are not our own disrict---we are the sister library of the placerville library--so if nothing was done in thirty-fifty years---ask the director how the money was spent. It is a county building--county has a budget for maintenance. They did not follow the FOL bylaws--they bypassed the FOL corporation--which is meeting on the 28th to vote on the subject of spending $5000>00 without their approval. At this point it is $1000.00. How come voluteers were allowed to carry hundreds of pounds of books back and forth...and business people and residents could not paint the building (with donated used county paint--so that it would fit with in the law of what the county uses) I have now received bully mail...from the suggestion of these intellectuals...attacking my name--my degrees...my children (they are mexican american) and my disabilities. The entire letter is printed above. Yesterday they had something at the library--they park in front of fire hydrates--no parking signs...this is a neighbor hood. My family still goes down there--I do not make people take sides. lololol...I have written letters to many saying I was done--my voice was about $5000.00 of donated money being spent on the carpet that should have come from another source. I am glad this person loves the library--I love libraries. The new group has been there one year--so she is enjoying things my group did for three years...the director can stop this bantering--but she protects this librarian and now herself. My number is 6444072...my name is francesca duchamp (Iam related to Marcel) And I have two degrees--I worked with the Getty, LA county Museum and UCLA to earn my degrees--any lawyers out there ? lolololol...back ground checks for voicing my opinion--is that okay? lololol...geeze. First children were used--then the idea of intellectual quiet time (rolling eyeballs--it is a "new" program at thie library...remember Ive lived back here for years)now they are attacking my name...this in unbecoming of a library...libraries of all institutions should honor the truth. They thought the bull y letter would--what --scare me...he has said he would continue to write them on behalf of the Friends...to make me stop--I did stop--after my letter...lolol...people attacked my right by doing damage control without facts...not my fault you opened doors :)

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 10:49 am

@Cheryl actually im not the one looking up names ;) but good try...remember my phone number is on line--people have called...although I did not ask people to take sides--the town is...I have been a voluteer for many groups up here for 25 years...people know me...some just by sight. But you guys keep this going...just makes people think about libraries and their place in society...aslo...the responsiblities of a non profit--how transparent they are. I encouage behavi0or like yours--you guys keep using my name ... one letter in the newspaper--and look at all the commotion...Thank you for helping me make my point. If people would stop writing--it would have died down after my first letter.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 10:53 am

lets try this again....my letter was about using donations for a carpet that should have been maintained by the county...if something was not done for 30-50 years--ask the director why not...it s the directors job to keep all facilities safe and "healthy" for our children, seniors...every one ;) again thanks for helping me make my point. fran

• James E.January 18, 2013 - 11:54 am

A legal consideration. Citizens on their own replace a carpet in a county library. If a child were to trip on the new carpet and be injured, who would the parents sue? I believe the answer to be both the citizens and the county in joint liability.

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 12:09 pm

@Fran - You are not the one looking up people?? Look at your posts on Jan 9 at 6:56 and 7:00 pm, what do you call that? It's one thing to post your own info, your choice, but yes, downright creepy to be trolling the internet for other people's info. And saying "you people", really? This is the first time I have responded to this issue and to a comment you have made. You say you have only written one letter? Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that you make numerous posts online. Most of the time patting yourself on your back claiming numerous accomplishments, good for you if they are true, I really don't care. One post of yours that I recall is your grand idea to move the library building at a cost of 1.5 mil, yet you have issues with improvements of $5000. that I would be willing to bet the county would never pay for. I do agree that the parking at the library is terrible with no street parking. I'm sure it has affected you much more than I as I do not live nearby. And by the way, we get it, you are mad about the carpeting, blah, blah, blah....

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:21 pm

good question james...@ Cheryl--I did not look up anyone leaving a message--sorry...people have for me....I have emails sent to me (and I post them)--people looking up information in the background...but me personally--nope. Actually when I found out the person might be using a dead persons name --I found it really funny. I have always used my real name...my email (not a phony one) and my phone number. (I have spoken with some really nice people (because of this)and I have told my personal friends all over dont get envolved. So because of this--libraries are getting spoken about here...in New York, MInn.,..and in LA--and I think thats great. (we are not any where neal the discussions on gun control--but we are being spoken about. (me--the creepy bully :) vs. the intellectuals.) It was 1.2 million...and that amount was actually an amount given as a number to start with, so that we had some kind of goal for a mission statement...all the people showing up now---I didnt see any of them for three years (I am glad that they are coming--for whatever reason--people are now at the library.) lololol...none of this angers me. I imagine the director and others would like the banter to stop...just guessing. I dont care if any one writes a reply...however,I would like some one to reply --who has knowledge of the facts--that would be different. Two FOL Presidents at the pollock branch-- agreed on this gaol. But this is not what I wrote about...I wrote about donations paying for a county building. The public should have been told..other community projects are clearly posted and followed by flyers...example....money needed for building. Or money didnt work out for the giant bunny -now we would like to use the moneyelse where. But this did not happen...A small group of people at the start--were ready to spend this money...and they did. (so I already knew they did not care about movement) My letter said I didnt want any part of it--I work on many fund raisers ( I have for 25 years)--and I want people to know that I am honestly asking for their donations for something specific or I would not ask. Go back and read...all of the other banter--has nothing to do with my letter. People keep asking if Im okay--people are not stupid...I am being attacked because I questioned how donations were spent. IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME...so now Im a creepy bully...lolololololol....whatever. Have a great day. The letter was about using donated money to replace carpet that should have been paid for by the county. If nothing has been taken care of in 30-50 yrs...ask the director...thats her job. Not the people of Pollock--unless they agreed to it. This group didnt even ask the FOL corporation...which is a bylaw for that amount of money. They decided themselves...and just did it. And that is wrong.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:33 pm

sorry got a call...lolol..@ Cheryl it seems I did not answer your remark of patting myself on my back....um...well when I do things--I just walk away....I have never put up a metal plaque with my name on it...I refer to the FOl group as mine...because they can speak for themselves. So Its not mine personally...Until this--most people wouldnt have noticed me...which is what I perfer...as my friends would tell you. If you felt this was patting myself --I do appoligize...it was not my intention...its just up heere certain groups put Aplaque on everything they do--just looking for them. I guess I could put my name on every event I work on--but why. Most of the time I have my grandson with me--I am teaching him to work for the community on good deeds and giving...if you know me--then you know him. Hopefully this answers that as well...and what does this have to do with the carpet ?

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:39 pm

@Fran - I didn't say you were a bully, just creepy for looking up info on people because they posted a letter or comment. There was a string of comments recently over a letter where a person actually posted the address of someone who posted a comment. Made snide remarks about the person having too nice of a house, etc. It was men having a republican against democrat fight. I really think that is going too far. No one should have to be harrassed or called names for thier opinions. Sorry you are getting harrassed, but remember I said creepy, not bully.

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:41 pm

Isn't the carpet what started this whole thing??

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:48 pm

Cheryl ...thanks...I did not look up any one. But now I like you--you made me laugh. So thanks...I would never post addresses..unless it was mine. I have peole come up to me and say "way to go." And others who look like they want to smack me...lololol...But yesterday there were so many people at the little library--I think it was worth it. Maybe now someone will paint it--and cut the trees up out front...because Im tired of doing it. Put up new signs...wouldnt that be nice. And you are always welcome to park outside my house if you visit it. Just dont block the mail boxes--or they dont deliver our mail--we have a great mail person...but its not her job to get out every few feet.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:53 pm

My letter was about the carpet...but the other notes are about all sorts of things...I think people think I hate llamas now...lolololol...a friend who lives by me asked if I thought I might be stoned...and should she have people watch my house...I told her know...I have a huge dog that will stop them...she demands to be petted by everyone--and can get very persistant if you dont (that would give me time to waddle away--Im disabled--I dont walk very fast...lololol..Carpet--yep--its the carpet.

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:53 pm

OK, I'll park in front of your house because I know where you live, ha ha ha ha ha

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 2:58 pm

any time ;)

• Foamie Mouth®January 18, 2013 - 3:29 pm

cheryl testing the limits of her talent for humor?

• CherylJanuary 18, 2013 - 4:35 pm

No Foamie, just lightening it up a bit. You have a problem? And why is your mouth foamie? From you showing your limited talent?

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 18, 2013 - 5:44 pm

@ Foamie mouth...awwwww But actually Cheryl did me a favor by reminding me that not everyone on line is going to say something that has me grinding my teeth. Actually both of you had me smiling...so thanks to both. I was serious about the llamas...someone had brought them up...lololol although which one spits (narrowing my eyes) the llama or the camel--one of them spit on me when I was a kid. But I still like them...I not sure how llamas got into the carpet story--until I read back over all the remarks...I guess they invited LLamas to the library...I dont know--I wasnt there. Laughter is always good. I have moved on to our little league field--beautiful place as well...it is now up for sale...since the mill closed...well many are working harder to have something left for the kids to do. Everything is for sale up here--times are lean.

• Foamie Mouth®January 18, 2013 - 5:55 pm

cherrie babie I never pretended to have any talent. you on the other hand are funny as hell. more please

• Foamie Mouth®January 18, 2013 - 6:01 pm

cherrie I c I didnt ansr ur'e ? about why my mouth is foamie. its always bin like that. one of the many blessings god has given me. kind of spontaneous regurgitation (genetic, i'm sur) when I c ritings like yours. I jess luv deep thinkers.

• Susie O.January 18, 2013 - 8:53 pm

I don't know the background of this issue that Fran can't get over, but I do know this: Fran, please be aware that COUNTY dollars are TAXPAYER dollars. So whether Pollock Pines locals who want their kids to have a clean cheery place (I'm guessing that's why they replaced the carpet?) or the evil "County" pays for it, it's coming out of someone's pocket - that's all of us, in this county. Now, I voted for the library fees in the last go-round: and they got voted down, right? So I would think that the evil "County" doesn't have any extra money to spend on the libraries. For carpet. So who is to blame? Talk to the good voters of this county that couldn't bear the thought of any more fees/taxes to support a public institution - our library system. I'm not blaming the voters - I'm broke myself - but I'm just saying, as far as the County paying, good luck getting blood from a turnip. As someone who used to attend a lot of public hearings, I'd suggest that you approach the problem in a reasonable manner. People who write volumes in a rant in the newspaper or go to public meetings and rant - without suggesting reasonable solutions - are very disregarded by other citizens and by the decision-makers and staff. You know what a PITA is, right? Also, I see in the Mt. Dem that there is a Pollock Pines Community Meeting next week - maybe you could go and briefly and succinctly make some recommendations (not rants). Good luck!

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 9:53 am

Miss susie...I go to all meetings up here--Ive been a voluteer for 25 years--its basically all the same people. We have had meetings like this before--many--things dont change.Most of the people who have lived here for generations will not come--unless they feel strongly about it. Our library is not one of those things...Just the amount of people there in the last weeks---were not there before...I saw none of thses people the four yaers that my group was there...and we met once a month. If all of this makes people go--great. Our town survives on peoples donations. People give money for a certain thing--it is their right to know that it didnt go to that goal. No meeting was set up--no flyuers--they said they post things in the newsletter...I can not see anything in referance to the FOL at Pollock buying carpet. I wrote one letter--the remarks are because they are trying to divert away form the issue--damage control. But because of this "ranting" more peole are talking about pour library. I have moved on to our little league field being up for sale...but I sadi I would come back to any comments :) thanks for your concern. I am now "ranting" creepy bully ...lolololololol And I will be at this meeting...not about the library--but to support people asking about the sale of the field--one more thing being lost to our kids. I wanted more for our kids at the library--you need more space--if you go to our meeting the land...is right next door that we looked at. Have a good day. The name calling...is interesting...coming from library people.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 10:11 am

My letter was about a group spending $5000.00 of donated money on a building owned by the county--without their knowledge. I wrote my opinion. I asked for people not to take sides--I was just letting them know. I did not pick did not pay for theirs--so calm down. I ask for money on behalf of many causes up here--and if they spend outside of why they asked--and do not tell the public. I will...if Im one that also participated. This money was given to them. The town may have agreed--I dont know...since they were not given the chance . That is my arguement. Any nonprofit--should be transparent at all times. All MOney belongs to the corporate FOL--there are bylaws...this group did not follow them. The President did not know (he is a very respectable person in the community--they by passed him) A small group decided for us--went to the director ...and the two used the towns money. If you have ever worked with any non profits--this is a major no-no. But keep this going. Here in town people still talk me and smile...its only two groups that are running around doing this...I do not talk about it at all outside my house...so its not really "ranting"--because remember my family--who are able to decide for themselves...go to this library. It is not about a library. If it has not been kept up for years--that is an issue for the director--it would be interesting how much up keep has been done on the other libraries--as opposed to this one...maybe another day--since people keep asking me. I work on behalf of children up here...and now Im concerned about the baseball field. The funny part foe me--is that im such a gentle soul...lololol...oh gosh.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 10:33 am

Here in the paper...The county’s overall budget for 2013 is approximately $572.88 million of which the Board of Supervisors has spending authority over a bit more than $92 million. That is the amount of discretionary funds the board generally may allocate as it sees fit. The balance of the larger budget is money that is tied to specific programs or services mandated by the state and/or federal government. Exhibiting a pie chart of the General Fund, Schwartz noted that the size of the pie generally remains constant, but individual slices may vary in size. The two largest slices typically represent Law and Justice at about 63 percent or $58.5 million and General Government at 26 percent or around $25 million. I dont know much about budgets...but $5000.00 dollars doesnt seem like much compared to these numbers...either the director used the money as a "gift" for some future expense on the libraries behalf...and the supervisors didnt know. Or the supervisors knew--and just accepted it--because it wouldnt come from there money..I dont know...I just know the people should have been asked. okay...hands ar ebad--too many mistakes even for me to justifiy for myself. I hope standford is right--and that people just read a few of the words for context and move on. Otherwise I see another hate email coming.

• CherylJanuary 19, 2013 - 10:57 am

I missed the Llama's??

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 11:07 am

lolololol--okay Cheryl I have now spit coffee all over my keyboard...lololol..you are a treasure thank you...I just wanted the "haters" to know that im off to the Placerville library for books....if you want to make mean, uncalled for remarks to me--you can--if you donate $20.00 to the library...lololol Cheryl lololololol

• James BradenJanuary 19, 2013 - 12:07 pm

Ah, Cheryl, (and Ms. Parker, deceased?!) Thanks for lending a sane voice to this interminable Franatical attack upon the Pollock Library, which I agree is a wonderful spot, and likely has benefitted from improvements from well meaning people of the COMMUNITY. (aint the county broke?) (Good that communication is electronic: who'd want to waste paper on Franatic's hostile and endless, and often meaningless blathering.) Franatic is clearly off kilter (and badly needs pats on the back) and in need of a job ... if anyone would dare hire her now. Comments, taxpayers? Cheryl, good courage taking on this "bully"... I suspect many have shrunk in fear -- wanting to, but not having courage -- to respond to her vitriolic rampages. I hope God does not allow her to have a gun. I had to vent a bit, as this insanity has gone on and on, and we all wonder what really is bothering the Franatic. So, thanks, Cheryl, for your good words and inspiring me to write (my first), to add my voice in support of your (and most people's, no doubt) loving and level headed support of the library, its staff, its “friends”, its volunteers.. and its new carpet! Jimmy do right

• Foamie Mouth®January 19, 2013 - 12:28 pm

dont give this man a gun,,,,,,,,, Name: BRADEN, CODY JAMES Gender: Male Race: White DOB: 8/22/1974 Age: 38 Eye Color: Blue Hair Color: Brown Height: 6′ 2″ (1.88 m) Weight: 153 lb (69 kg) KDOC #: 76190 Name Type: Conviction Supervision: Discharged Source: Dept. of Corrections

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 1:05 pm

lololol...Franatic...lolololol...please let me move on....lolololololol...this will cost you a $40.00 dollar donation to the library. It is not as creative as think...I just have a great sense of humor...See this is what happened because of my voluteering for the library. But I expected this...I knew once I told the truth...people would go out of their way to divert it. I m thinking--Im really interested in how much money has been spent on our library system...and how much has gone to the little library.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 1:25 pm

on a very different note...many have said that they knew the West family--I have been gathering information about the little library for awhile--a year. I have harvey west senior has the person who built it--not harvey West JR. SR. had three sons...Harvey West jr. Robert and David (who was killed at 14 in a hunting accident) The Pollock Pines church still has the plaque for the dedication of his son--he had built the chappel in honor of David.(here) As well as the little library.(here) In Paul Deans family album--he writes that there were three buildings built in honor of David--does any one know the Third building? I know that the brothers (Robert and Harvey West JR.) worked along side their father in the lumber business--until their concentration at Graeagle. There are buildings up and down the hill from the base to Lake tahoe--any one know?

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 19, 2013 - 4:23 pm

yes-- found the site for paul dean...it is actually only two buildings-- not three he refers to: the library and the chapel (http://spyhunter007.com/paul_dean_family_album.htm) thank you to the people that helped ;)

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 22, 2013 - 11:14 am

In 2005 here….funds being collected for the Pollock library (FOL)—it had been closed all days except one. The native ElDorado County resident said with a chuckle that if he didn’t help. His dad would have popped out of his grave and made him. Wests Father, Harvey West, donated the first building used as the Pollock Pines Library and later built the current library structure. “MY father belived in doing things where he lived and where he worked,” West, 78, said. “He was a great supporter. Dad always gave back to the community. Why shouldn’t we?” After this event--trying to close the library....the FOL THEN always kept a good sum of money in their account to protect the library. I have many more articles...thanks for calling...see you at the meeting. again I am surprised at the potty mouths on fellow intellectuals...tsk tsk tsk. Harvey West had given from his heart up and down this hill--his family carried on this tradition. Many of his gifts are still making money for this county...Emerald bay is a great example. If the director hadnt done anything in 30 years--ask her. It is a county building--that should be maintained by the county..I still feel the director should return the $5000.00 to the FOL account. This county is suppose to preserve the history and gifts of people and their families...this library was never a shrine...he did build it in memory of his son David--as a gift to the community he lived in--he and his families gifts are still making money for this county. And one cant maintain it. Shame on any one involved in this...it needs paint-up dating--new signs. I for one honor Miss Doris for her vision( in a time where it was harder for a woman to make things happen.) And I honor the West family for the gifts that my grandson still enjoys today.

• francescaduchamp@att.netJanuary 22, 2013 - 12:38 pm

The true history of the Dogwood club in relation to the library. After construction, Cloherty (Doris) asked her friends to help landscape the area around the new library building. Some of the gardeners, who donated trees and plants, were Luby and Vivian Stats, Roz and Helen Johnson and Lorraine and S.G. Land. The ladies formally organized their group, and the first meeting of the Pot and Plot Garden Club, With Vivian Stats Presiding as the first elected President, was held in THE COMPLETED LIBRARY on Oct. 6, 1961 with eight members present. (Documented here) The Pot And Plot Garden Club would become the Dogwood Club in later years…maybe someday one of their gardens can honor their friend—Doris. It was Doris asking her friends to help—her friends (After construction.) It was never the other way around. This library was her dream—Harvey granted it. I AM MOVING ON ;) If people condone history being twisted—whatever. A nonprofit must be transparent at all times. This is a county building—where donations were used—without any regard for the people here. It is a county building with county funds for maintenance.

• StanFebruary 07, 2013 - 9:28 pm

My wife and I want to say we agree with Sharon, Susie, James, Michael and more. This woman who attacks the little library and the improvements to it seems way off base. My kids and grandkids use the library and are so happy it's in our town and is so comfortable. Miss Duchamp says that she has only written one or two letters? But my wife and I, retired, do read the stuff online, and like a scab needing to be scratched, we are entertained, if baffled by her 40 letters so far. FORTY letters? Yep. What is the point she is making? Carpet? Budget? Improvements? Decorations? Mural? New building? Old building? Supervisors? Director? Manager? Doris? Dogwood Club? Harvy West? Chair? Shelves? Books? Kids? MY point, and that of my wife's is that our kids and our grandkids love that little library, and that it remains, and that our grandkids have sat Three at a time in the chair reading to each other. What is the problem, really? Someone paid for the carpet, maybe all of us, and I am proud if that is so. My wife calls over to me as I type, "tell the Duchamp lady that she should stop trying to hurt people, and get some help for herself". Maybe, maybe not. I suppose not many people follow all of her emails, and normally we wouldn't but we have been so baffled that I guess it's just a morbid curiosity at this stage. Anyway, we and our family love the little library building and don't think replacing the carpet is wrong in any way, no matter how it was paid for. If locals paid for it, that is wonderful. Thanks for listening.

• francescaduchamp@att.netFebruary 08, 2013 - 8:49 am

lolololol really stan? youre bringing back the library issue...The community was not asked. No postings any where. A small group of people decided for all. The president of the Fol (corp) wanted this issue to die down--lololol...but okay im game. I have thought about looking into other nonprofits up here to see if their funds taken from the people are being used correctly. So far we do have a few that can be trusted--The community center...Rotary...Lions...Moose Lodge...any veteran group. The PTC. If you love the library--wonderful. With all the talk about county money--you still think the peoples donations--without their consent should have been used. What happen to the Park groups money--they never made non profit status? How can small groups up here take money from people without a mission statement actually being accurate? One or two groups have moved so far away from theirs--one has to wonder? Stan--how about you and your personal friends, that agree with using the donations--write out a check--give it back to the people...and you can take over the little library. Thank you Stan for keeping this issue alive...lololol I can see some faces now--just cringing. Please come to our town meetings...I appreciate people like you speaking up.

Motorcycle fatality in Greenwood

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

By Noel Stack | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 46 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 12 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3