Monday, April 21, 2014

Hail to Cesar, Drake and Jacob

A few days ago, I met three very impressive boys and I want to make sure they are noted. I was at the El Dorado bicycle trail section that is across from Walmart, putting up a poster about my granddaughter, Hailey. Hailey suffers from Dravet Syndrome, a debilitating seizure disorder. (She was featured in two earlier Mountain Democrat articles regarding my daughter’s search for and discovery of Dravet Syndrome.)

The boys were looking at the map on the board. I started talking to them, asked if they heard about the sighting of the mountain lion on the trail, asked where they went to school, etc. They saw Hailey’s poster and one of them said that she was pretty. I told them we were campaigning for the money to get Hailey a service dog.

“I don’t mean to be rude,” one of them said, “but is she mental?”

“She is like a 3-year-old, the most loving, sweetest 3-year-old you’ve ever seen,” I said. I told them about Hailey. About her seizures. About her limitations. About her amazing strength. And about how a service dog would enhance her life. She would have her best friend by her side, keeping her safe.

“Can we help?” one of them asked. “Yeah,” said another one. “We can put those posters up all over the place.” “I can give my Dad some to hang up at work.” We went to my car and they wanted all the posters I had left and the cards with information on how to donate. There weren’t many left and I told them to contact my daughter (her e-mail is on the poster) if they wanted more.

Whether or not they ask for more posters to hang up is not important. What stood out, what was so heartwarming, was the fact that these three boys were so enthusiastic about wanting to help someone in need. I was so encouraged by how non-judgmental and how accepting they were of a young girl so unlike them. I drove away (had to go back to Foothill Printing & Design on Broadway, formerly known as The Printing Press, to print more), thinking about what a great generation we have coming up.

If you want to help Hailey get a service dog, please visit tinyurl.com/HeroForHailey.

Hail to Cesar, Drake and Jacob.

TINA FILA
Placerville

• Phil VeerkampOctober 09, 2013 - 11:38 am

Thank you, TINA FILA.

• Alexa FilaOctober 09, 2013 - 1:38 pm

Thank you for your generosity Mr. Veerkamp. I am stunned and so very grateful. Alexa Fila

• Phil VeerkampOctober 09, 2013 - 1:59 pm

^!!^

• Alexa FilaOctober 09, 2013 - 1:26 pm

Thank you mom, for everything! Thank you Cesar, Drake and Jacob for your sweet and sincere kindness. I agree entirely, you 3 boys are truly inspiring. Hail to Cesar, Drake and Jacob from me and high-fives from Hailey (Hailey doesn't know what it means to "Hail" but she loves high-fives!). Sincerely, Alexa Fila

• Steve HuntingtonOctober 09, 2013 - 6:01 pm

That's awesome. Too many kids these days are judging and preoccupied with their own lives. Thank god for them being willing to help a cause that's so important for my daughter. I wish them happiness and also say that it is ac testament to good parenting on the part of their fsmilies

• Al TruisticOctober 09, 2013 - 10:25 pm

DONATION LINK FOR A Service Dog Hero for Hailey

• LpOctober 10, 2013 - 1:31 am

Awesome!! Great kids, raised with real values!!

• cookie65October 10, 2013 - 5:18 am

Steve Huntington, that has not been my experience. Kids have great compassion and don't need to be goaded or bribed to help someone in need. The stuff the media pushes about bullying and the like are the exception and not the rule. In addition to that, kids have a sixth sense for the companionship of having a dog.

• Al TruisticOctober 10, 2013 - 3:11 pm

bumpimg for Hailey

• Alexa FilaOctober 11, 2013 - 8:50 pm

Tahnkyou Al Trusitc (clever!) for attempting to bump new link. Appears the glitch is within Crowdtit donation page? I'm on it!

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 4:39 pm

Ms. Fila, how about an address where people can send a check. The web site refuses to accept my donation unless I list my name (which I did multiple times). An address would be nice.

• Alexa FilaOctober 11, 2013 - 8:55 pm

So sorry James E. I should have been following these comments to make donating simple, NOT frustrating! I am set up to receive notification of all comments moving forward. My thanks for your patience.

• Phil VeerkampOctober 11, 2013 - 4:40 pm

James, did you enter your name as it appears on your credit card?

• Alexa FilaOctober 11, 2013 - 8:59 pm

Phil, thank you for taking the time to email me privately regarding this - large oversight on my part in not following comments here.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 4:43 pm

Phil, of course I did -- I'm a long time user of credit cards on the Internet. I'll try one more time and use another credit card just to see if that makes any difference.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 4:45 pm

My American Express card lists my middle initial as E. and they kept asking for my full name with no luck. My Discover card has no middle initial. I'll try it.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 4:55 pm

Nope, didn't work. I need a mailing address. By the way, this is the kind of project that the kids at Markham should be working on.

• Phil VeerkampOctober 11, 2013 - 4:59 pm

How strange. My MasterCard went right through.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:06 pm

Phil, I'll try one more time using a card from my wife and see if her names goes through. If not, I will need an address. Is an address a problem?

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:13 pm

OK, didn't work with my wife's Mastercard. Again the enter a valid name over and over. I'm exhausted. An address please.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:16 pm

If I'm exhausted, maybe a lot of people are and that's the reason for the total amount contributed. Fix your web site re. valid name or provide an address for checks to be sent. I truly am exhausted trying to donate money.

• Alexa FilaOctober 11, 2013 - 8:46 pm

So sorry James E. I am working on this. :/

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:23 pm

Yes, I'm exhausted when I'm frustrated. Give an address or an address at a local bank. We all want her to have a dog -- make it less frustrating to donate.

• Alexa FilaOctober 11, 2013 - 8:44 pm

Oh no! Please accept my apology for the glitch everyone. Thank you for attempting to help us: again, and again and again... I will solve this asap. In the interim, if you like, donations can be made directly to Pawsitive Service Dog Solutions at: www.pawsitivesolutions.org, choose "Donate" link (at bottom of webpage).Or, via snail mail, at: Post Office Box 383, Olivehurst, CA. 95961. Pleae include "Hailey Huntington" in memo section/s to route you donations correctly. I do not have experience in using their website donation link, however it may be, must be, easier than repetitve fruitless attempts. Also, for your records, the trainer/agency 501(c)(3) ID #: 31077 and EIN #: 900765728. Again, my apologies and sincere thanks for your kindness and patience.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 9:21 pm

Ms. Fila, OK -- Donation for Hailey Huntington, P.O. Box 383, Olivehurst, CA 95961, with Hailey Huntington written in the Memo section of the check. Check in the mail tomorrow AM.

• Al TruisticOctober 12, 2013 - 4:21 pm

BUMP for Hailey

• Phil VeerkampOctober 15, 2013 - 5:23 pm

James, ALL - LINK - A Service Dog Hero for Hailey

• James E.October 15, 2013 - 5:34 pm

$3860 plus my $100 which I mailed in so they have $3950 and need $11,000. Key is to get their appeal on the Internet at YouTube or to have a local school or organization sponsor the effort. Were I still in command of the 2nd Squadron, 9th Cavalry she would have her $11,000 within 24 hours. Soldiers are generous. Sadly, I no longer have an organization that can meet the effort. Anyone from the Lions, or the Moose, or the Odd Fellows or the local VFW out there?

• James E.October 15, 2013 - 5:41 pm

Of course, YouTube wouldn't help if their site wouldn't accept credit cards without listing one's correct name???? And, no where on the site an address to mail contributions. Doomed to failure unless rescued by a local civil organization. Hey, a way for the Tea Party to do a good deed.

• James E.October 15, 2013 - 5:43 pm

Mt. Democrat, how about talking this up in the paper so this young girl/woman can get a service dog.

• Alexa FilaOctober 17, 2013 - 11:51 pm

Thank you all for your continued interest & support. I'm sorry I've been unable to respond of late. Such is the nature of my daughter's disorder: more than 17 seizures last 4 days (& counting). We've been through much worse, just a bit battle weary this week. James E., thank you for your generosity & feedback. Other than Crowdtilt, (link above) Donations can be made via Paypal @: www.pawsitivesolutions.org. Or by mail to Pawsitive Solutions, PO Box 383, Olivehurst, CA. 95961 (ref: "Hailey Huntington"). Pawsitive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, ID#: 31077, EIN #: 900765728. I will add this to our campaign on Crowdtilt in the morning. Thank you again. I requested help &/or guidance from 2 local clubs, who, in my estimation, matched re: our need/their mission statements. Sadly, both responded in kind: unable to assist us. I'm a novice (@ best), been approaching organizations, whom I thought would be helpful, to no avail. Obviously, my fund-raising ignorance is quite a handicap. :( We were interviewed on 10/10/13, had hoped to see it in print by now, I pray it will be soon (thank you Mt. Demo). This is 3rd article re: Hailey since 2011. Very grateful & hopeful the community will be able to help us. Please post suggestions! I am well above my ability & knowledge but will try harder, learn more, do anything - I just need a point in the right direction. Thank you.

• Alexa FilaOctober 18, 2013 - 12:56 am

Correction: This (fund-raising attempt) is well above my ability and knowledge...

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 12 Comments

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4, 1 Comment | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10