By From page A7 | February 15, 2013


This is a letter sent to Senators Feinstein and Boxer, and Congressman McClintock:

In 2012, President Obama signed an executive order providing legal status and work permits to some illegal immigrants. These illegal immigrants can apply for legal status for a $465 fee. Now the immigration talk is swinging toward amnesty for 11,000,000 plus illegal immigrants.

In November of 2011, my son moved to Toronto, Canada and married a Canadian citizen. She applied for legal status as a resident alien and for a work permit in the United States. She received her visa and work permit, and they moved back to California in May of 2012, securing permanent employment shortly after arriving. The fees that my son and daughter-in-law paid for her visa and work permit totaled $912 ($420 Filing Fee, $88 Affidavit of Support Review Fee, and $404 Immigrant Visa Fee). They also had to pay $300 for her physical exam (amazingly not covered by the Canadian health care system), $60 for passport photos (hers for the work permit and files, his for the files), and $500 for a trip to Montreal because the American Consulate in Toronto does not conduct immigration interviews.

Because the United States government has decided to provide the visas and work permits for $465, my son and daughter-in-law would like to know how and where to apply for their refund. In addition, she would like to be included as a legal citizen if and when amnesty is approved for the 11,000,000 plus illegal immigrants.

Pollock Pines

Letters to the Editor

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.