Monday, April 21, 2014

Inequities

Every year I look forward to reading the results of the wheelbarrow races because it’s such a positive article. I’d like to congratulate Dylan and Makenzie Snyder on their respective wins in the men’s and women’s championship races.

However, I would like to admonish the Kiwanis Club for the inequitable prize money distributed to these two champions. It seems Dylan’s prize was $1,000, a belt buckle, and his name on the historic trophy, but Makenzie only “picked up a $500 check” from Kiwanis. Did I miss something here? Did Dylan work harder for his win than Makenzie for hers?

I’m aware the courses are slightly different for obvious reasons, but I don’t think anyone worked any more or less for their win. With all the discussion in the news about women making less money for doing the same job, I feel this is a small, but blatant example of the problem women face. Am I the only one who reads this and cares? What kind of message does this send to our young women? Should they just be happy for getting half of what their male counterparts get for the same work and go on being silent?

If the Kiwanis won’t make it right maybe another club will.

DENNA PATTON
Placerville

• Kim ItemJune 24, 2013 - 12:02 pm

I understand this all to well. As a woman I see this a lot too. It saddens me also. I used to get mad and upset and I have even spoken up. My husband of 23 years will come to my defense also at times when it is more than obvious "not a coincidence?! My husband and I love to go out on dates still. We will go out for dinner to talk, relax and enjoy eachothers company. On many many occasions I will be overlooked and snubbed and ignored by the waitresses. Sadly enough they cannot fill my husbands glass fast enough while my glass will sit empty as I thirst. Yet the waitresses will just look over at me and then walk away. It is hurtfull. Last week our family went to a very popular place to eat in Cameron park. The waitress took my husbands order as well as my 4 grown sons who order for themselves and I too ordered. All the food plates came for my husband and my 4 boys and then the waitress looked at me coldly and said;"what did you order?" I cant find you order. The waitress said this to me only after I asked where is my food? Where is my dinner? Also, it was my birthday. We were out to eat my family for my dinner. My family was 1/2 done eating by the time I got my food. I just tried to enjoy my family at that point. Yet, I dont give up and i dont let these bad people full of hatred and jelousy and no manners get to me. My husband and I went out to try a new dinner place we had never been to before last Saturday night. It is called Cascada in Placerville on the main street in downtown Placerville. It was just the two of us my husband and I. I have to say that It was the BEST Mexican food I have ever had. Our waitress was FABULOUS! She was so nice and patient and kind and so respectful and very good at her job. Everyone was so friendly and on top of everything. Our waitress, She did a very efficient job as our server and my glass was filled up and never ran dry. I was asked at times if I wanted more water more drink more chips more salsa? Even my husband went to the bathroom and our FABULOUS waitress came over very kindly and very nice to talk with me. I was very satisfied when we both left. I wish Mexican food place in Placerville called Cascada All THE BEST! Maybe soon we will visit this wonderfull place to dine, talk and eat soon again. I hope and pray blessings for them as my husband and I were so very blessed by them all. Thank you Cascada. From my heart - May God Bless You All.

• Mike DJuly 10, 2013 - 9:40 am

"I’m aware the courses are slightly different for obvious reasons" , want the same prize? run the same course against the same contestants.

• cookie65July 10, 2013 - 10:32 am

There is no "mens" race according to the contestants rules. There is a "Championship race" which is open to men and women. The cost of entry is $10 more than the cost of entry to the "woman's" race. There is a woman's race which is not open to men. So based on your logic women actually have more opportunity for winning money. http://eldoradocountyfair.org/contest.html#wheelbarrow

• rodJuly 11, 2013 - 10:22 am

The Kiwanis club used to have just a wheel barrow race. Some women complained it "wasn't fair" so Kiwanis opened a less stringent 'women's event'. Unfortunately there will be people like Kim and Denna who will continue to whine and always perceive themselves at a disadvantage with men, and physically it is most often a truism. But women have something uniquely different than men, and most use it with great success over them... (left brain positive personalities)... so grow up.

• Phil VeerkampJuly 11, 2013 - 10:30 am

Oh now, Rod! Goodness!! You man!!!

• cookie65July 11, 2013 - 1:47 pm

Rod, did you notice how Kim went on a tirade about inequity and even hatred and she was talking about other women. The writer of this letter has it totally backwards. The inequity favors the women who can compete in two events for money while the men can only compete in one. But this is how being told what to believe works. They have been trained to believe that everything favors men so without even engaging their brain they embarrass themselves with a letter to the editor that is totally inaccurate. And the accuse Kiwanis of something they are not guilty of. Looking for an apology letter. I won't hold my breath.

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 12 Comments

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4, 1 Comment | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10