Monday, April 21, 2014

Jobs vs. no jobs

You wouldn’t get a cake decorator to put concrete in you driveway; you wouldn’t get a gynecologist to operate on your brain, so why would you get a community organizer to create jobs? You would find someone with experience like Mitt Romney who has a proven track record for creating a work atmosphere that would create jobs. I know you think that all he did was put companies out of business; look again he prospered in reorganizing companies so they would excel in the business world. Sure there were a few that failed but they were failing prior to him investing into them, so were the ones that didn’t fail and they went on to becoming multimillion dollar companies. So wise up left and vote for someone that can put us back to work.

MARTIN SCHUMANN
Placerville

• DarrinOctober 12, 2012 - 9:07 am

I am sure the folks who owned small town office supply businesses will agree with you. Mitt got them jobs at Staples after they had to shut down their own store. Employees of Asimco Technologies auto parts now have great jobs, the only problem is they are in CHINA! Since 2010, Asimco has been owned by Bain Capital. Those factories employed about 500 people in Michigan and were shut down. Moved to CHINA!!! SO yes, if you are Chinese, by all means, VOTE for MITT! He will ensure you of a job.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 10:52 am

Mitt claims he will create millions of jobs. Of course, he won't tell us how -- just trust him and he will tell us after the election. So WISE UP right and don't let a con man con you.

• voterOctober 12, 2012 - 11:07 am

True, Mitt won't create jobs. NOW - tell us about Obama's job record and how he will do better next time around.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 11:23 am

I am happy with President Obama's job record because when he took office jobs were being lost at a horrific rate. Since then, there has been monthly job growth. Sure, not like the millions that Mitt promises, but job growth every month. Guess if Mitt is elected jobs will increase by one million every month. Sure. Oh, I am unhappy about one thing: The president, by executive order, should have established a job corps and put millions to work repairing the nation. Didn't happen, but will happen if I'm elected in 2016.

• DB SmithOctober 12, 2012 - 11:25 am

Voter, Obama could try the "Shovel Ready Jobs" program again and maybe include some more of those "Green Jobs". Oh yeah and he could even hire some more IRS Agents and Government Czars.

• DB SmithOctober 12, 2012 - 11:28 am

James E.. Look in the mirror and you will see a conned man conning.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 11:55 am

DB Smith, come on, you can do better than that -- the old mirror dodge. More importantly, do you support my candidacy in 2016? Maybe I'll have you as my VP to put some balance in my administration.

• DB SmithOctober 12, 2012 - 12:26 pm

James E.. Are you trying to con me...

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 12:47 pm

DBSmith, time will tell.

• voterOctober 12, 2012 - 1:04 pm

James E says since Obama took office jobs have increased monthly. I guess that depends on where you're looking. In June this year Labor Dept. figures showed private jobs down 4.6 million from January 2008 but federal employment up 225,000 jobs. ~ http://blogs.investors.com/capitalhill/index.php/home/35-politicsinvesting/7190-private-jobs-down-46-million-from-january-2008-federal-jobs-up-114

• Sid GrahamOctober 12, 2012 - 4:26 pm

Why should anyone listen to Martin? The only jobs he believes in are the cash under the table kind, while you collect unemployment and don't pay taxes.

• cookie65October 12, 2012 - 4:51 pm

People who voted for obama did not do so for jobs. They did so for the redistribution of wealth. They were lead to believe he was going to be very generous with other peoples money. Why would you vote for someone who doesn't know what a job is for their knowhow on how they are created? It is the same logic as those who voted for hope and change looking for more specifics from our next President.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 7:15 pm

Cookie65, "--- someone who doesn't know what a job is for their knowhow on how they are created?????" What in the heck does that mean? Let's get on with the redistribution of wealth -- give me your money and be quick about it.

• MartinOctober 12, 2012 - 7:27 pm

Mr Graham, I have never collected unemployment in my entire life, never received any aid from our government. I have employed as many as 20 tax paying citizens and covered them completely with health care. For you to surmise that I haven't been above board with my taxes puts you into the Obama blame category. I am sure that I have paid more than most and I know that I have collected less than most from are ever so giving Government. I believe in working for what I get, not having it handed to you; I am not saying that some shouldn't be helped but I am saying many shouldn't. Before you throw stones at someone be sure or your information.

• Sid GrahamOctober 12, 2012 - 7:56 pm

You admitted that you have a friend who ripped off the public by illegally working for cash while collecting benefits. You had no problem with this. You did not stop him or report him. You thought it was just dandy. You have zero credibility with anyone now, including conservatives.

• MartinOctober 12, 2012 - 9:02 pm

Mr. Graham! You would probably turn a friend in for something like that, but where I grew up friends were someone that you told that they were doing wrong but you didn’t turn them in for it. You are a typical left idiot that has no friends. If you think that this ruined my creditability think again my friends and followers know me and know what I stand for, at least they can depend on me in a pinch and if in trouble they know that I am there for them. Get a life dummy

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 9:43 pm

Martin, if you don't mind your friend cheating to get unemployment benefits, then don't begrudge those who really needed the benefits (as you did in an earlier comment).

• MartinOctober 13, 2012 - 2:46 am

J.E. They have signs all over state parks that say don’t feed the animals because it will cause them to stop fending for themselves. There has never been a truer statement; unemployment doesn’t fall into that category but extended welfare for those that can work does. So James take your god like attitude and shove it, we have to many receivers and not enough givers; until this is changed this country is going to flounder.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 9:45 pm

Cookie65, where is your money? Hurry.

• James E.October 12, 2012 - 9:48 pm

ADDED: Martin, actually I don't think you have a friend that cheated. Just a little story you made up to badmouth unemployment benefits. Come on, fess up. Friend or no friend?

• MartinOctober 13, 2012 - 7:45 am

J.E. I have found through life that when someone accuses you of a falsehood are more than likely the type that tell stories themselves; also that they are always casting stones when they themselves live a glass house so be careful your house may come tumbling down. You need to pray a little more just may be that you will get over the hate that you have for anyone that disagrees with you.

• Ken SteersOctober 13, 2012 - 8:10 am

I want to say to those who are cheer leading for Obama/Biden to calm down you are in charge and just point out all the great accomplishments our President has done these past 4 years and you'll win. I have been curious as to the marketing approach of both Fox and NBC regarding this "fiscal cliff" that our politicians approved. Both sides state that Draconian budget cuts and huge tax increases will systematically occur throwing our country into a recession. It appears to me that they came up with a bi-partisan way to balance our budget. Now they are trying to convince America that if the plan they voted for is implemented then America is committing economic suicide? The image of Cleavon Little holding a gun to his own head to avoid being lynched in Blazing Saddles comes to mind. He's holding himself hostage while screaming help me! help me! All the while a old lady is stranding in the crowd saying won't somebody help that poor man. Irony...

• Dick BransonOctober 13, 2012 - 8:32 am

Finally something that both sides can agree on. That was a great movie.

• James E.October 13, 2012 - 11:25 am

Martin, so do you have a friend or is there no friend? Simple question. And, if you do have a friend, you don't seem to mind him being one of the animals that should not be fed with unemployment benefits (while getting paid under the table). Gets unemployment benefits while working and also doesn't pay taxes on his under the table earnings. Is he a Tea/Republican like you? And, as for my storytelling, I have no friends getting unemployment benefits while getting paid under the table, so unlikely I can tell stories about it.

• MartinOctober 13, 2012 - 12:43 pm

Apparently you have no friends, or do you work for the government and all your friends are employed? I never said the guy worked and received money under the table I just said he didn't look for work until he used the 90 whatever months that he was out of work. Or did I pull a Biden and say something that I didn't mean? I could have been thinking that a lot of people would take advantage of a paid holiday and work under the table. So why don’t you use your superior intellect to figure out a way that would stop under the table money, like making a consumption tax; that way all would pay.

• James E.October 13, 2012 - 12:54 pm

Martin, actually you did say working under the table while receiving unemployment benefits. Other commenters also noted you said it. So, you have done a Romney - you said it, you didn't say it. I think we're finished here.

• Howard JohnsonOctober 13, 2012 - 2:41 pm

Martin was finished about 10 comments back. Poor schmuck just can't seem to get out of his own way.

• CatherineOctober 13, 2012 - 3:04 pm

Mr. Schumann's letter is troubling mostly because he seems to actually believe that Mr. Romney was a "job creator." The success of companies that Bain Capital invested in or leveraged was, from what I can find, about 50/50. Not a stellar track record, but somewhere along the way, Mr. Romney and others still became phenomenally wealthy. The question is, how much of that wealth came from growth of the successful companies, and how much came from piling up loans, paying himself huge consulting fees, getting restructuring tax breaks, then bankrupting the companies and having a fire sale. In my career, I had an opportunity to see guys like Romney in action, and believe me, you don't want that type of person in a governance role. Let Romney go help Meg Whitman turn around HP, if he's so talented. She recently admitted it would take more than 4 years.

• Don YbrightOctober 13, 2012 - 3:23 pm

Folks, I think we should all bow in gratitude because we are indeed in the presense of greatness. For years, I have read letters and comments from this person and by all accounts, I don't think that this person has ever made a mistake or wrong turn in their life. We are witnessing perfection at the highest level. If this person was running for office, I would vote for them everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. You must be very proud of yourself Mr. Longhofer as I know you probably are. Your legend preceeds you. Have a perfect day.

• voterOctober 13, 2012 - 3:39 pm

Don Ybright: Well said! Catherine: Presumably you're not arguing the converse - that Obama has been a job creator. Because neither candidate is.

• DB SmithOctober 13, 2012 - 3:48 pm

Catherine, Without checking your figure of 50/50 success...I think batting 500 ain't so bad compared to what's going on right now. You want us to believe you in your past tense career? Sup?? Obama needs to go back to Chicago and get back to his roots (wherever those are) and do some more community organizing, which can be very stellar, that is if you know what you're doing. He could also give his buddy Larry Sinclair a howdy do visit since they probably have missed each other. He doesn't know what he's doing as President so a change would be a good thing for him and the rest of the country. Don't do it or please at lease take full advantage of some free birth control. Gotta go cut some fire wood.

• James E.October 13, 2012 - 6:58 pm

Mr. Ybright, I want to thank you for your kind words, but want to correct a minor error -- I am not perfect and sometimes make mistakes. However, I do try to keep them at a minimum. And, please don't bow.

• Ken SteersOctober 14, 2012 - 9:08 am

32 comments regarding Mr Schumann's letter. 15 from the Right, 15 from the Left, 2 I can't tell. Not one post from the Left listing how Obama is a job creator. Not one accomplishment regarding 4 years as the leader of this country? What I do read from the Left is that the economic situation is not only fine but improving. That business owners have screwed up this country and need to be punished. That business owners don't pay a "fair share" in taxes. There was a time when I thought words like that were for political expediency or at the very least ignorance. I was wrong. The majority of people today do not believe in the American Dream. Either they never achieved theirs or do not like the game and want to play a new game. If the majority of people who vote in this election, historically 50%, vote for President Obama, then our country will be at the very least a European Socialist type of government for many generations. If Romney is elected, I'll have to wait 8 years with the hope that Paul Ryan wins the election in 2020 to witness for the first time a true fiscal conservative in charge our our government. That's what I have to look forward to. Just 8 short years baby.

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 3:24 pm

The election in 2020 will put Mrs. Clinton back in the White House for her second term. Sorry, Congressman Ryan. Business owners haven't screwed up the country (economy), lack of demand has screwed up the economy. And it's the ultra rich who need to pay more taxes even if they have to omit the car elevator in their mansion. As for business owners and taxes, I'll let the Congress decide if business owners with a yearly bottom line profit of $1 million or more need to pay more taxes.

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 4:16 pm

Your logic is flawed James E.. When you omit the car elevator ~ you then omit the job inspector, you then omit the elevator installers, you then omit the fabricators of the elevator, you then eliminate the elevator maintenance personnel, you then omit all future inpectors of the elevator and then you would omit all of the taxes/fees that would be collected for the job. Finally you would omit all the fun of taking your car up and down the elevator. Now look at how many jobs your little Dem/Lib keyboard just eliminated. Your logic is depressing. As for me, I'm working hard and looking forward to the day that I can get one of those contraptions. Leave the successful folks alone sir. Go Romney/Ryan!

• Dick BransonOctober 14, 2012 - 4:42 pm

Your logic is flawed, Mr "Smith". Under the republican ideology, inspectors are just the kind of lazy government worker who get laid off first.

• Fred MonanhanOctober 14, 2012 - 4:44 pm

DBSmith, LOL! You are the very embodiment of the word Bootlicker! Let's worship our wealthy masters!

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 4:58 pm

Hey Fred(rika) I'm not interested in your Dem/Lib LOL and licking stuff but it sounds like you are. The truth hurts sometimes don't it?

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 5:15 pm

DB Smith, I have to agree with you -- it would be fun sitting in one's car and going up and down, up and down. But, as to my logic flaw I doubt there would be enough car elevators in America to impact the job market. You can work hard and wish, but the probability of you ever getting a car elevator is slim to none. And, isn't that the hook for the working man to be a Tea/Republican -- letting the elite rob us blind because someday the working man will be the elite? A fool's quest. Work hard, make your life a success, but that won't include being in the elite for 99.5% of us. P.S. If you ever get a car elevator, can I sit in your car with you and go up and down, up and down.

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 5:38 pm

How about this James E.? I think you make too much money. I think you have too much in the bank. I think you have way too many assets and toys. I think you drive a better car than me. I think your a really a too too kinda guy. OK now ~ you have way more than little old me and whole lot of other folks so we want to take you down a notch or two to get you to our level and get you to conform. Who are YOU to be telling anyone that they have too much when in fact you yourself have way more than a whole lot of other folks out there. If you want to talk it then be ready to walk it rich man and don't you dare be more successful than anyone else. So you better be ready to give it up. Independent!

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 5:52 pm

DB Smith, I'm not sure what your response has to do with my previous comment. However, I sense you think we going to have a Communist government where everything is put in a pot and everyone gets an equal share. That's just Tea/Republican propaganda to get Mitt elected -- so the elite can get the few bucks we have left. My bucks and your bucks too DB Smith.

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 5:59 pm

Someone once said: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; and From dependence back into bondage. Go Romney/Ryan

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 6:02 pm

James E.. That's a cop out! You rich guy.

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 6:05 pm

Rich? You have me confused with ____________. Fill in the blank.

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 6:18 pm

Now were getting somewhere James E.. Would you say that you are richer than someone else? Yep ~ I knew it. So...I would like you to get up off your hiney and go down to the Hangtown Haven and give some of it up. Or are you one of those typical bleeding heart rich Liberals that like to take everything away from other people and give their stuff away except yours? Talk the talk then do the walk.

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 6:23 pm

James E.. P.S. your ears are on each side of the blank (_____________).

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 7:18 pm

DB Smith, are you richer than someone else?

• DB SmithOctober 14, 2012 - 7:43 pm

James E.. Yep!

• James E.October 14, 2012 - 8:30 pm

DB Smith, good to know should I ever need a loan to get through the month. Must be nice to be rich. No need to even balance your checkbook. Guess our conversation is over, as I'm not in the habit of speaking to rich people, as they hold the common man to be beneath them. Good luck with your money.

• Chris FletcherOctober 14, 2012 - 11:31 pm

DB Smith- when do you graduate from high school? Once you are out of your mom's house, try reading something more challenging than Atlas Shrugged.

• DB SmithOctober 15, 2012 - 8:54 am

James E.. To help you along here ~ you're the one that asked if I was richer than someone else. My reply was Yep. Now how about you? I think you're starting to finally get it. You are richer than someone else too. Go help a common man out on your dime big talker. "Mutt your britches James E.." and stop the cop out. Romney/Ryan = JOBS

• James E.October 15, 2012 - 12:29 pm

Did DB Smith say something? I thought I heard something, but guess not.

• DB SmithOctober 16, 2012 - 8:09 am

James E.. Your short lived prediction that the Election in 2020 will put Mrs. Clinton back in White House isn't going to work out for you. That poor sacrificial cow. Just more evidence of an inept President and Administration at the cost of American lives.

• James E.October 16, 2012 - 9:15 am

Am I hearing things? Was that DB Smith? No, guess not -- darn buzzing in my ears, too many main tank guns and helicopters over the years. Should have worn my ear plugs.

• DB SmithOctober 16, 2012 - 10:21 am

Well now we know about your hearing but how's your reading doing these days James E.? (__________) Romney/Ryan = Jobs

• James E.October 16, 2012 - 10:45 am

More buzzing in my ears and then blessed silence.

• prime timeOctober 20, 2012 - 10:30 am

The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney: The federal records, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, reveal that Romney's initial rescue attempt at Bain & Company was actually a disaster – leaving the firm so financially strapped that it had "no value as a going concern."

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4 | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 10 Comments

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10