Thank you for reading the MtDemocrat.com digital edition. In order to continue reading this story please choose one of the following options.
If you are a current subscriber and wish to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com, please select the Subscriber Verification option below. If you already have a login, please select "Login" at the lower right corner of this box.
Special Introductory Offer
For a short time we will be offering a discount to those who call us in order to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your print subscription. Our customer support team will be standing by Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to assist you.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish not to take advantage of our special introductory offer, please select the $12 monthly option below to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your online subscription
Dear congressional representatives:
I have taken the opportunity to write and call many of you on important subject matters before. It is past time for me to express support to the Republican Party for its attempt to negotiate with the Democrats. The president and Harry Reid and many of the Democratic senators appear to have lost sight of what the word negotiate is.
It is abhorrent that the following can’t be accomplished for the American people.
• How about a budget?
• How about setting spending priorities?
• How about Congress and its staff live under the same Affordable Care Act law that other Americans have to live under?
• How about not raising the debt ceiling?
• How about seriously working at paying down the National debt?
• How about quit borrowing money from China
• How about paying the bills, and prioritizing cuts?
• (One of the president’s promises was that he would do line item prioritizing with the Congress.)
• How about you quit giving other countries Americans’ hard-earned taxes? America can’t buy friendship.
• I was angry when money was given to Brazil so they could drill for oil off of their shores, yet all sort of road blocks prevent the same opportunity for America.
These are just a few immediate concerns that I believe need to be negotiated. So far the Republicans seem to be doing the heavy loading of solving the approaching American crisis. They are striving to provide intervention.
Some of us live on fixed incomes, and some are lucky enough to be employed. They understand the basics of income versus spending, savings verses recreation. Congress annually has a pot of taxpayers’ gold and has thus far managed to drive-up, borrow and has spent over $16 trillion, putting America in debt beyond belief. Don’t be foolish enough to make it $17-plus trillion. Please negotiate with the Republicans.
Also, don’t set yourselves above all other Americans. If the law is in America’s best interest, you too should adhere to the same law. There should be no special treatment for Congress or staff. Elections are not about special treatment, or payback favors.
MELBA J. LEAL