Friday, April 25, 2014

‘Libya lies’ editorial a whopper

EDITOR: The Mountain Democrat’s editorial “Libya Lies” is a whopper indeed. The paper accuses the Obama administration of “lying” while, itself, relying on lies, innuendos and flights of delusional fancy. The editorial reminds me of the FOX commentator, Jim Johnson Jr., who started a recent spiel on Libya with: “I don’t have any facts, but…” Unlike the Mountain Democrat, Johnson had the decency to warn the audience that he was an ignoramus, thereby confirming the notion that, on FOX, being ignorant is an asset.

If the MD were actually interested in helping the electorate sort out the liars from the truthers, by now it would have had several editorials listing the mind-boggling whoppers fed to us by Mitt Romney’s campaign. However, Paul Ryan deserves this election’s “Chutzpah Award” for his acceptance speech at the GOP convention. Never has a man so brazenly packed so many demonstrably-easy-to-prove lies into a speech and been applauded for it. Watching the GOP convention audience reminded me of the 1950s fad statue called “bobble head.”

Psychologists and political scientists have offered all manner of explanations as to why so many GOP voters cannot accept unpleasant facts. This denial of reality is a handy subterfuge for hiding the institutionalized racism born with Nixon’s “Southern Strategy,” continued with Reagan’s “States’ Rights” lunacy, and reaching its apogee with Obama’s election. Many of these people are FOX watchers, therefore low-information, or no-information, voters: bigoted ignorance is their default position. Still, none of this explains satisfactorily why GOP adherents believe Romney telling them it’s raining when he’s actually peeing on their legs.

JOHN GARON
Placerville

• Phil VeerkampNovember 23, 2012 - 5:28 pm

Yet another Garon screed originally submitted November 5th. Again I ask, Mountain Democrat, how many more Garons ya got in your back pocket . . . and . . . don't these "things" ripen beyond usefulness. Limburger is sweeter, ferchrisakes!

• James E.November 23, 2012 - 5:39 pm

Phil, I hate it when the Mt.Democrat does that -- been awhile since it happened to me but I'd write a letter on some hot topic and then they would put it in the paper two weeks later. By then my letter had been overcome by events and all would point fingers at me for being so out of date. Hot letters should be served hot.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 23, 2012 - 5:53 pm

Ten four! AGREED! Mark this day, Colonel!

• PC watchNovember 24, 2012 - 9:14 am

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) says “incompetent” is a racist “code word” when applied to Susan Rice for blaming the Benghazi terrorist attack on an obscure YouTube video

• speaking of peeing on my leg . . .November 24, 2012 - 9:20 am

Garon can afford to be self-righteous, what with being identified with a party that's always left.

• James E.November 24, 2012 - 10:01 am

Good golly, I see that the intense anger and hurt of losing the election is popping out all over this fine Saturday morning. Cookie 65, you are right about one thing -- CIA operates outside the United States and the FBI operates inside the United States. Much like MI5 and MI6 in England. I once attended a meeting in DC in which the CIA and FBI were to deal with a problem. Within five minutes they were at each others throats and nothing was accomplished. They don't like each other.

• biscuitNovember 24, 2012 - 10:12 am

James E's not a half-baked cookie. He's done.

• James E.November 24, 2012 - 10:20 am

biscuit, more substantial comments are encouraged.

• Benghazi fallout or BAU?November 24, 2012 - 1:23 pm

1. David Petraeus: an affair; 2. John Allen: “improper relationship”; 3. Carter Ham: suddenly decided to retire; 4. James Stavridis: lavish personal spending; 5. Kip Ward: lavish personal spending; 6. Patrick O’Reilly: intimidating & humiliating subordinates; 7. Chuck Gaouette: “inappropriate leadership judgment”; 8. Jeffrey Sinclair: accused of rape & adultery; 9. Joseph Darlak & 2 others: drunken orgy in Russia; 10. Christopher Kubasik: affair with a subordinate.

• another Benghazi fallout, or BAU?November 24, 2012 - 8:19 pm

11. Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky resigned 11/11/12. No official reason was given. It was reported that the FBI was searching Broadwell's home in Charlotte, North Carolina after reports surfaced that her reported access to classified information did not come from CIA director Petraeus but from another source, or, perhaps, through a backdoor in software provided by Microsoft to the military and intelligence community -- a backdoor that now ex-Windows guru Mr. Sinofsky might have known about. Microsoft maintains a full-time office at NSA headquarters to deal with surveillance issues that arise with Microsoft systems.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 5:03 am

Your messiah lies. Everytime his lips are moving. Deal with it. Is there a history of psychosis in your family? A chemical imbalance perhaps? The last time someone was worshipped the way obama is was a place called Jonestown. Stage 3 colorectal cancer isn't nearly as scary as knowing how many John Garons there are in this country. I fear for my children and grandchildren. Take a valium and chase it with another glass of koolaid.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 5:13 am

James, if you ever needed even more evidence that the people you align yourself with are mentally unstable.... You are correct about the cia and fbi not being on the same team.

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 8:05 am

PRESIDENTIAL MEMORANDUM -- NATIONAL INSIDER THREAT POLICY AND MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR EXECUTIVE BRANCH INSIDER THREAT PROGRAMS @ http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/11/21/presidential-memorandum-national-insider-threat-policy-and-minimum-stand

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 10:20 am

Cookie, John Garon is a voice of reason in a sea of crazy. Oh, I like the cancer comment -- nice touch.

• RichardNovember 26, 2012 - 11:51 am

McCain had previously said, " he would do everything in his power to prevent Rice from becoming secretary of state and expose the Benghazi cover-up." Now after realizing his handlers used him and wanted to expose CIA dealing in Libya to gain Ideology points McCain says, "I think she deserves the ability and the opportunity to explain herself and her position, but she's not the problem. The problem is the president of the United States”. What is it in those sealed POW records evolving McCain in the 1960s that give has handlers such control over him?

• Jack MartinNovember 26, 2012 - 11:57 am

Our regional hubris-shoveler-in-chief, John Garon, is back in typical form. He makes this assertion " However, Paul Ryan deserves this election’s “Chutzpah Award” for his acceptance speech at the GOP convention. Never has a man so brazenly packed so many demonstrably-easy-to-prove lies into a speech and been applauded for it."... And yet declines to list even ONE alleged lie, much less ot substantiate it as such. I keep trying to tell you this, Garon (and Longhofer and Catherine too) just because you assert or allege something, doesn't make it true.

• Give it up JackNovember 26, 2012 - 12:27 pm

Heres a couple that stand out in my mind, and were very easy to confirm; Faulted Obama for failing to deliver a 2008 campaign promise to keep a Wisconsin plant open. It closed less than a month before Obama took office. Blamed Obama for the loss of a AAA credit rating for the U.S. Actually, Standard & Poor’s blamed the downgrade on the uncompromising stands of both Republicans and Democrats.

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 12:29 pm

Mr. Martin, you love giving homework to those you disagree. Of course, Mr. Garon could have gone into detail on each and every fib, but it was sufficient to bring notice to Mr. Ryan who without question helped Mitt get to the White House. Now, I could do your assigned homework and look up his speech and parse it. However, I won't because Ryan is old business. He won't be running again.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 1:06 pm

Is Hildabeast going to testify?

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:27 pm

Obama lied about this not being a planned terrorist attack... Obama lied about about not raising taxes on those making less than $250,000... Obama lied about changing immigration laws in 1st year after election... Obama lied about his association with Rev Wright and Bill Ayers... Obama lied about "I'm not someone that promotes same sex marriages"... Obama lied about Guantanamo being closed in his first year... Obama lied about "I will walk the picket line with you if your right to bargain is challenged"... Obama lied about " no more wire tapping of citizens"... Obama lied about " I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps"... Obama lied about " I've done more to protect Israel's security than any President ever"... Obama lied about "fence between US and Mexico is nearly complete"... Obama lied about Obama met highly qualified out of work teacher Robert Baroz. He wasn’t out of work and Obama never met him. Obama lied about GOP Responsible for Obama Jobs Bill Not Passing - Dems Rejected Jobs Bill Obama lied about "the Rich don't pay their fair share" Obama lied about "The health care bill will not increase the deficit by one dime"... Obama lied about "If you like the health care plan you have you can keep it" Obama lied about “Under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.” Obama lied about "denies healthcare is a new tax on all Americans"... Obama lied about "We have run out of places in the US to drill for oil." Obama lied about "if you don’t have your papers and you took your kid out to get ice cream, you can be harassed"... Obama lied about "Doctors choose amputation because they get better compensation. Greedy Doctors taking out tonsils for more money." Obama lied about "Republicans don’t have a single idea that’s different from George Bush’s ideas — not one." Obama lied about "Obama says he’ll save average family $8,000 in gas". Obama lied about "I am immediately instituting PayGo “Pay as you go”. Obama lied about the Trillion Dollar “Shovel Ready” bill. Obama lied about "We began by passing a Recovery Act that has already saved or created over 150,000 jobs.” – caught cooking the books and now changed to ‘jobs supported’ versus ‘created/saved’ Obama lied about "Number one, we inherited a $1.3 trillion deficit. … That wasn’t me.” – Congress, under Democratic control in 2007 and 2008, controlled the purse strings that led to the deficit Obama inherited.Obama supported the emergency bailout package in Bush’s final months — a package Democratic leaders wanted to make bigger. Obama lied about "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." Obama lied about "I will Cut the Deficit in Half by end of my first term"... Obama lied about "Health Care deals will be covered on C-span"... Obama lied about "As President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide"... Obama lied about "Recovery Act will save or create jobs"... Obama lied about "Unemployment rate will be 8.5% without stimulus"... Obama lied about "No Earmarks in the $787 Billion Stimulus"... Obama told the TRUTH "I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care plan"... Obama lied about "Mr. Ayers as “a guy who lives in my neighborhood,” but “not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis". Obama lied about "Minimum Wage will increase to $9.50/hr”... Obama lied about "Ann Dunham spent the months before her death in 1995 fighting with insurance companies that sought to deny her the coverage she needed to pay for treatment". Obama lied about "Didn’t know Jeremiah Wright was Radical"... Obama lied about "Would have the most transparent administration in History"...

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:29 pm

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 1:30 pm

Phil, we already covered this. She will, but it will be classified behind closed doors and you will not get to find out how she personally parachuted in and fought off the attackers. You just don't have the need to know (which is the requirement for gaining classified information). What don't you guys give it up? It was a shot at harming the president, but he was reelected anyway. Find a new faux scandal.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:33 pm

James, Garon is the voice of reason who believes people like Mitt Romney are what is wrong with America.

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 1:33 pm

Cookie, but he didn't lie on the morning of November 7th when he said "I have been reelected." You can rant and rave, but you are old business on this topic. Are we going to have to hear you rant for the next four years about the past? Accept the past, and move forward.

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 1:37 pm

Cookie, Mitt is what's wrong in this country. The wealthy CEO who lives in a bubble. I see the former CEO of HP said recently that people getting public pensions are rich and that should be stopped, while she got around $40 million for her parachute when SHE WAS FIRED. Sure, the little people are just too rich.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 1:37 pm

Cookie, you forgot Obama lied about that transparency thing. Obama lied about Gitmo. Obama lied about Patriot Act. Yer slippin' girl!

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 1:38 pm

Phil, he couldn't shut down Gitmo, the congress wouldn't let him as they wouldn't fund same.

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 1:42 pm

The president did visit 57 states. However, seven of them were in a dream so he double counted.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:45 pm

James, no one will ever know she pulled a Vince Foster on the youtube video demonstrators?

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 1:45 pm

When you promise to do something and then you don't do it you lied - - - if your name is Bush - - - if your name is obama you also lied

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 1:48 pm

Everybody (with a need to know) still remembers the Clinton body count.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:49 pm

James, since when has congress mattered to obama? And Phil, those are in there. I am sure though that there are several pages still missing.

• DB SmithNovember 26, 2012 - 1:50 pm

Re: those 57 states...must of been when he was loaded Colonel. I so much want to participate but am very busy getting ready for road rock. Go Cookie, I'm remembering the Obummer lies.

• Kirk MacKenzieNovember 26, 2012 - 1:52 pm

Calling a politician a liar is like calling water wet. Isn't there something more constructive to discuss? Here's one: what direction have you given Representative McClintock regarding raising revenues? Cap deductions is my preference.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 1:54 pm

So people like Bill Gates, who has probably created jobs for 5 million people and wealth for another 50 million is what is wrong with this country. And people like obama who has never created a single job that wasn't paid for thru someone elses taxes are what is right with America? If that is true then the world is upside down.

• DeeNovember 26, 2012 - 1:54 pm

Democrat voters per James Carville- “Ideologies aren’t all that important. What’s important is psychology. The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd. Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have a clue as to political reality. What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard workers and convince them that they should support social programs that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you want. The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans. Truth is relative. Truth is what you can make the voter believe is the truth. If you’re smart enough, truth is what you make the voter think it is. That’s why I’m a Democrat. I can make the Democratic voters think whatever I want them to.” Read more at amazon.com ----I couldn't agree more! Go James!

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 1:55 pm

James, you say that Obama couldn't shut down Guantanamo because he lacked congressional funding. The fact that I can't find anything to support your statement doesn't invalidate it. Please can you help by providing a link.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 2:01 pm

LINK - THE CLINTON BODY-COUNT

• DeeNovember 26, 2012 - 2:04 pm

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 2:04 pm

BTW, my question to James does not arise from loyalty to either political party. By and large I consider all political promises meaningless, regardless of origin. Why any of us take them seriously is a mystery. But I absolutely do believe there needs to be a way to hold our representatives accountable. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen any time soon. Kirk MacKenzie is correct: "Calling a politician a liar is like calling water wet."

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 2:23 pm

Evelyn, Google "why President Obama cannot close down Gitmo." There you will find numerous sites -- many saying he lied and many saying under pressure from Republicans and concerned about relocating terrorism subjects to U.S. soil, the Congress rejected President Obama's request for funding to close the prison. Noteworthy that the sites that say he lied fail to note that Congress wouldn't allocate the funds.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 2:29 pm

I am confused by Mr Garon's concern. He has not the slightest care in the universe if, when, how, where or why obama lies. So why is he bothered by anyone who does care? Is he worried about how it might affect obama's chances at a third term? obama's lies sure as hell didn't affect his chances for a second term. People who possess no conscience when it comes to recieving stolen property don't have much ground to stand on when it comes to defending liars.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 2:42 pm

Cookie, you also forgot these - - - Obama lied about "I’ll get rid of earmarks”... Obama lied about "When a bill lands on my Desk, The American people will have 5 days to review it before I sign it". Obama lied about "My father served in World War II"... Obama lied about "I'll have the troops out of Iraq by March 31, 2009"... Obama lied about "Seniors Making less than 50,000 will not have to pay taxes"... Obama lied about "Would not vote for any bill supporting troop funding without a firm withdrawal commitment from the Bush Administration"... Obama lied about "I don’t Have Lobbyists"... gurlz!!!

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 2:57 pm

Phil, those are all in there.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 3:02 pm

ahhhh . . . i see the problem . . . lower right screen WARNING: monitor ink low replace immediately . . . my bad, sorry cookie

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 3:16 pm

Time for a new cartridge of cyberink.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 3:24 pm

WOW! that's th' ticket . . . I now see it most clearly, Cookie. I think this is it . . . "Obama lied about "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way"... Obama lied about "I have visited all 57 states"... Obama lied about "I’ll get rid of earmarks”... Obama lied about "When a bill lands on my Desk, The American people will have 5 days to review it before I sign it". Obama lied about "My father served in World War II"... Obama lied about "I'll have the troops out of Iraq by March 31, 2009"... Obama lied about "Seniors Making less than 50,000 will not have to pay taxes"... Obama lied about "Would not vote for any bill supporting troop funding without a firm withdrawal commitment from the Bush Administration"... Obama lied about "I don’t Have Lobbyists"... Obama lied about "My Wife Didn’t Mean What She Said About Pride In Country"... Obama lied about "Barack was never an ACORN trainer and never worked for ACORN in any other capacity"... Obama lied about "I Barely Know Rezko"... Obama lied about "My Church Is Like Any Other Christian Church"... Obama lied about "you didn't build that"..." - - - AM I SEEING CLEARLY NOW, COOKIE?

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 3:33 pm

• Ken SteersNovember 26, 2012 - 3:39 pm

The race baiting anti Christian bigot John Garon quotes a Jim Johnson Jr from Fox as saying something. I looked and there is no Jim Johnson Jr commentating for Fox. I did see this elderly gentleman at a box store the other day with a Obama 12 sign strapped to the top of his car yelling what I thought were racial epithets at all the white shoppers. I may have heard him saying "you can call him Jimmy, and you can call him Johnny and you can call him Jr but you can't call him Johnson". I could be wrong

• foaming further...November 26, 2012 - 3:43 pm

Are Phil and cookie dating? They seem perfect for each other.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 4:11 pm

foaming further...NOT DATING slightly smitten VERY MARRIED!

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 4:13 pm

Ken, mindnumb robots like Garon repeat what ever they see from real media outlets, such as huffpo, dailykos, dimwitunderground, moveon, and all the other cradles of lessor learning. People like him have not had an original thought prior to woodstock if ever. They are like a school of fish. They all turn symultaneously in what ever direction their leftist media tells them to. The perfect example was when some guy on the radio had them all wanting to jump out of windows when he used a back alley term to describe a woman who publicizes her promiscuity. Yet not a single one of them has ever uttered a sound about the hundreds of millions the hip hop industry has made using unimaginably colorful languange to describe not only women but everyone else. But as soon as their leftist media told them how to react over the guy on the radio, they responded like the school of fish that they are. The perfect study in groupthink. And they actually expect us to take what the say seriously.

• A Rational GuyNovember 26, 2012 - 4:17 pm

Wow! Um... You guys DO know that your "Obama Lies!" list has been circulating for quite a few years and has been refuted many times, right? Or do you just get your news from that one source? Here's the thing: Printing a very long laundry list of stuff does not make any of the individual items true. It just makes it harder to point out the untruths because there's so much to refute. But if you'd like to take those things one at a time, I'd be happy to provide you with not only the facts but with genuine verifiable sources for those facts.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 4:18 pm

Phil, my brother dated one of your cousins back in the early 80's. They still keep in touch. Her dad passed recently and she was out here. I think they saw each other while she was here.

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 4:26 pm

Rational, reading the list, I can recall obama word for word saying these things when he said them. Are you trying to tell me I didn't hear him say what I heard him say? That is right up there with a hot summer is proof of global warming and a cold winter is proof of global warming. Now you see it now you don't......

• cookie65November 26, 2012 - 4:36 pm

Rational, the teleprompter where all of these are recorded is probably locked away with his college transcripts. The safest place in America to keep national secrets. Of course they have been floating around a while. Many of them are his campaign promises from his historic election, you know the one, where the historic part of it was the lagest number of double digit IQ voters ever. The rest are just stuff he has said in between vacation and golf. $1.4 billion we have spent entertaining the first family in the last 4 years. It is good to be king.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 26, 2012 - 5:53 pm

You know, I find it amusing that Mr. Garon The Pompus State department Wonk does not pipe in he just likes to throw fecal matter and see if anybody will respond. Now, lets be real here. those of you on the left will sit here and pontificate, postualate and basically bend over 180 to support your paper tiger. I find it fascinating that you all go so far. In the coming months, years that this miscreant kenyan idiotis in office how far will you go to prop up him and his congress? I mean I knew when GW screwed the pooch but you people are really gluttons for punishment. I will remain fascinated for the next four years. As well, I will be dismayed. But none the less, if any of you come knock at my door after all that has passed through the fan don't be suprised when I laugh in your face. Ask and you shall recieve , wether it be a loaf of bread or a stone.... ...just amazing....

• Ken SteersNovember 26, 2012 - 6:49 pm

Cookie, I find it amusing how some of the democrat socialist posters pontificate on whether you be man or woman. For if you be a woman they have a plethora of insults to hurl in your direction. Or Bill Clinton if your not looking. I have a request for Jack Martin, could you please input your wisdom on us more often good sir. You might be getting a little lazy.

• Ken SteersNovember 26, 2012 - 7:18 pm

To Jack, Thomas, Evelyn, Cookie, Phil, Dee, D.B., Kirk, R.J. and others. One of my boys who plays for St Mary's is having a rough go of it and I sent him Kipling's If. He told me he didn't get it at first but after sleeping on it really seems to understand. I think it holds true for fiscal conservatives as well. If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you; If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, But make allowance for their doubting too; If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies, Or, being hated, don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise; If you can dream - and not make dreams your master; If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim; If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two imposters just the same; If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your life to broken, And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools; If you can make one heap of all your winnings And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss, And lose, and start again at your beginnings And never breath a word about your loss; If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew To serve your turn long after they are gone, And so hold on when there is nothing in you Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on"; If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch; If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you; If all men count with you, but none too much; If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds' worth of distance run - Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

• RichardNovember 26, 2012 - 7:47 pm

Worth repeating; "Psychologists and political scientists have offered all manner of explanations as to why so many GOP voters cannot accept unpleasant facts. This denial of reality is a handy subterfuge for hiding the institutionalized racism born with Nixon’s “Southern Strategy,” continued with Reagan’s “States’ Rights” lunacy, and reaching its apogee with Obama’s election."

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 7:52 pm

I see the uninformed are riding wild tonight. Yee haw. And, the president remains in the White House despite the anguish.

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 8:04 pm

Nice quote, Richard. Which unpleasant facts should I be accepting? (I'm not a GOP voter.) Racism was institutionalized long before Nixon and Reagan. Are you saying - through your selected quote - that I am a racist because I'm not enchanted with Barack Obama and think this country is racing off a cliff? But while you consider your answer, bear in mind that my national prognosis long preceded the 2008 election.

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 8:06 pm

A reposting in case James missed it the first time around. ********** James, you are correct. I found the following: SENATE DEMOCRATS REJECT OBAMA'S REQUEST FOR FUNDS TO CLOSE GUANTANAMO BAY PRISON @ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/19/AR2009051903615.html

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 8:49 pm

Evelyn, yes, I saw that. Democrats have not always supported the president in his promise to close Gitmo.

• EvelynNovember 26, 2012 - 8:59 pm

SPEAKING OF QUOTATIONS (are we?) PICK YOUR FAVORITE: The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein ********** Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ********** Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. ~ Frank Zappa ********** In politics stupidity is not a handicap. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

• CatherineNovember 26, 2012 - 9:41 pm

Clearly, Zappa owns this one. Thanks, Evelyn. I'm watching  "Untold History of the United States." Lots of good perspective on the difference between what is reported and what actually happened. I recommend it, and in the absence of a TV, you could read the book.

• The new old LeftNovember 26, 2012 - 9:54 pm

The GOP South; We should have let them go when they wanted to leave. But no, we had to kill half a million people so they'd stay part of our special Union. Fighting for the right to keep slaves - yeah, those are states we want to keep. And now what do we get? We're the Arrogant Northeast Liberal Elite? How about this for arrogant: the South is the Real America? The Authentic America. Really? Cause we founded this country. Those Founding Fathers you keep going on and on about? All that bulls*** about what you think they meant by the Second Amendment giving you the right to keep your assault weapons in the glove compartment because you didn't bother to read the first half of the sentence? Who do you think those wig-wearing lacy-shirt sporting revolutionaries were? They were blue-staters, d***head. Boston? Philadelphia? New York? Hello? Think there might be a reason all the monuments are up here in our backyard? No, No. Get out. We're not letting you visit the Liberty Bell and Plymouth Rock anymore until you get over your real American selves and start respecting those other nine amendments. Who do you think those stripes on the flag are for? Nine are for blue states. And it would be 10 if those Vermonters had gotten their Subarus together and broken off from New York a little earlier. Get it? We started this s***, so don't get all uppity about how real you are you Johnny-come-lately "Oooooh I've been a state for almost a hundred years". Arrogant? You wanna talk about us Northeasterners being arrogant? What's more American than arrogance? Hmmm? Maybe horsies? I don't think so. Arrogance is the cornerstone of what it means to be American. And I wouldn't be so arrogant if I wasn't paying for your bridges. All those Federal taxes you love to hate? It all comes from us and goes to you, so shut up and enjoy your Tennessee Valley Authority electricity and your fancy highways that we paid for. And the next time Florida gets hit by a hurricane you can come crying to us if you want to, but you're the ones who built on a swamp. "Let the Spanish keep it, it’s a s***hole," we said, but you had to have your orange juice. The next ……… wad who says, "It’s your money, not the government's money" is gonna get their butt kicked. Nine of the ten states that get the most federal dollars and pay the least... can you guess? Go on, guess. That’s right, they're red states. And eight of the ten states that receive the least and pay the most? It’s too easy, they’re blue states. It’s not your money, , it’s our money. What was that Real American Value you were spouting a minute ago? Self reliance? Try this for self reliance: buy your own stop signs. Let’s talk about those values for a minute. You and your Southern values can bite my a** because the blue states got the values over you Real Americans every day of the damn week. Which state do you think has the lowest divorce rate you marriage-hyping …..wads? Well? Can you guess? It’s Massachusetts, the center of the gay marriage universe. Yes, that’s right, the state you love to tie around the neck of anyone to the left of Strom Thurmond has the lowest divorce rate in the nation. Think that’s just some aberration? How about this: 9 of the 10 lowest divorce rates are blue states, and most are in the Northeast, where our values suck so bad. And where are the highest divorce rates? Care to guess? 10 of the top 10 are red moral states. And while Nevada is the worst, the Bible Belt is doing its part. But two guys making out is going to ruin marriage for you? Yeah? Seems like you're ruining it pretty well on your own, you little babies. Oh, but that's ok because you go to church, right? I mean you do, right? Cause we get to hear about it every g****** year at election time. Yes, we're fascinated by how you get up every Sunday morning and sing, and then you're towers of moral superiority. Yeah, that's a workable formula. Maybe us Northerners don't talk about religion as much as you because we're not so busy sinning, hmmm? Ever think of that, you self-righteous ……….? No, you're too busy erecting giant stone tablets of the Ten Commandments in buildings paid for by the Northeast Liberal Elite. And who has the highest murder rates in the nation? It ain't us up here in the North. Well this gravy train is over. Take your liberal-bashing, federal-tax-leaching, confederate-flag-waving, holier-than-thou, hypocritical bullshit and shove it up your ……….

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 10:00 pm

Catherine, I watched that program this evening. It seems we never really know "History."

• Phil VeerkampNovember 26, 2012 - 10:20 pm

HISTORY belongs to those who write it. Pick your author. There is no shortage, The author(s) one chooses is most likely the author whose tale most closely fits ones prejudices. Cognitive dissonance flows unchecked. Curriculum vitae are attached as proof of concept. Bull$hit flows freely. SUGGESTION: Consult a 1950s Britannica.

• CatherineNovember 26, 2012 - 10:34 pm

I've read a lot of Pilger over the years, and Fisk, and real hands-on guys like John Ross. You get perspectives, you try to cobble together a truth, but you never know. The story of WWII and Japan is just heartbreaking. My high school art teacher was interned, and she was brilliant and fierce in making sure we knew about the War in the Pacific when we were young. Sobering to think about the tonnage of bombs "this fine nation" has dropped on civilians. Hey, wouldn't it be great if they decided War was the cause of global warming? Oh no... Now the cookie monster will awaken...

• BillNovember 26, 2012 - 10:40 pm

Please, Please don't awaken the cookie monster, "we'll need a bigger circus tent."

• CatherineNovember 26, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Think Bill McKinney in Deliverance.

• James E.November 26, 2012 - 11:12 pm

If Cookie wakes up, we will be favored with her astute take on politics. Oh, please no.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 4:35 am

I love global warming, I wish I had thought of it. Hundreds of billions of dollars have changed hands and all they have had to do is tell people that summer time is evidence of it. That is quite a return on very little investment. A regular tunnel to the bank. Seventh grade science, or at least it used to be: we exist on a sphere with a tilted axis rotating in an elliptical orbit around a fluctuating heat source in a universe where the norm is absolute zero (very cold). Periodically the planet warms up enough for life to flourish. What happens when every year we go from winter to spring? Life explodes. The people who do your thinking for you have you afraid of the very thing that causes life to exist on this planet. Don’t believe me? Try growing a tomato in the permafrost. We have evidence that very large cold blooded animals lived in what is now Wyoming, something they could not do today. Suggesting north America was more like Hawaii. Sounds terrifying. This much warmer climate made it possible for things like the brachiosaurus to exist. How much vegetation do you think it would take to feed a couple of dozen brachiosaurus’ everyday and where is that vegetation now? They actually have you convinced that we can control the weather. They have you believing that man by his activities is causing the climate to change. What is that if not controlling the weather? To add insult to injury they have you believing that they can fix it. What is that if not controlling the weather? Imagine what we could do if we could control the weather. On top of all of that they tell you anyone who doesn’t blindly go along is anti-science. Even more hysterical. Algore calls us deniers. What is the opposite of a denier? Answer; an acceptor. Which one implies thought? Indoctrination is simple. You see it everywhere you look, you hear it everywhere you listen. You see it so much it must be true. Train the children from birth and in a couple of generations you have total control.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 4:55 am

Ken, gender neutrality confuses leftists and makes this even funnier. The first thing any leftist does is assign someone to a group. Without being able to assign someone to a group they can't use any of their canned talking points or characterizations. I am just an opinion on the internet who has been around liberalism long enough to demonstrate its absurdity and the intellectual laziness of the koolaid drinking lemmings who think that socialism is progress. Without gender, race, age, religion, shoe size, eye color, or anything else they have to debate me based on what I say, not on what I am. Without a jewish badge the nazi's don't know what train to put me on.

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 6:47 am

Oh Cookie, don't call the democrat socialist, Nazi Fascist! They hate that. It's uncanny how the old guys from the balcony of the Muppet show long for Hillary Clinton. Her idol? Margaret Sanger. A racist who felt that abortion could neutralize the black people. Ah Eugenics if only the race baiting bigot Garon could pin that on conservatives too.

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 7:51 am

Sanger was a remarkable woman. But in a letter to a friend, she made a comment nearly identical to one made by a MD commentor last week. Ah, the racist card... So handy.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 8:12 am

Ken, the old guys in the balcony were my absolute favorite. The lemmings today lack cynicism and are all to willing to believe whatever they hear the most often. With every form of leftist media, including the side of buses available it puts intellecual curiosity at a serious disadvantage. The foundation of todays planned parenthood and its motives is just another example of revisionist history. I joke with my oldest son that history for him began the day he was born. For many that is the absolute truth so what ever they are told is plausible and becomes their reality. It is how people like joe biden get away with comments like "they gonna put y'all back in chains". And the mental midgets lap it up.

• prime timeNovember 27, 2012 - 8:22 am

Permission Slips Instead of Rights

• Thomas GibneyNovember 27, 2012 - 8:51 am

Ken, Kipling is a great read. I have a collection from my mother that is dated 1910. Not many youth today even know who he was. Perhaps I shall purchase a bit Jack RUssells India Pale Ale and sit and read Gunga Din. "So I'll meet 'im later on At the place where 'e is gone -- Where it's always double drill and no canteen; 'E'll be squattin' on the coals Givin' drink to poor damned souls, An' I'll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din! Yes, Din! Din! Din! You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din! Though I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!" But of course in todays world Kipling would be called a racist by the New Y0rk Times book review. ..and so onward, 'forward' to Gamorah

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 9:00 am

"We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don't want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." -- Margaret Sanger's December 19, 1939 letter to Dr. Clarence Gamble, 255 Adams Street, Milton, Massachusetts. Original source: Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College, North Hampton, Massachusetts. Also described in Linda Gordon's Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America . New York: Grossman Publishers, 1976. "Our failure to segregate morons who are increasing and multiplying ... demonstrates our foolhardy and extravagant sentimentalism ... [Philanthropists] encourage the healthier and more normal sections of the world to shoulder the burden of unthinking and indiscriminate fecundity of others; which brings with it, as I think the reader must agree, a dead weight of human waste. Instead of decreasing and aiming to eliminate the stocks that are most detrimental to the future of the race and the world, it tends to render them to a menacing degree dominant ... We are paying for, and even submitting to, the dictates of an ever-increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all." -- Margaret Sanger. The Pivot of Civilization , 1922. Chapter on "The Cruelty of Charity," pages 116, 122, and 189. Swarthmore College Library edition. "Today eugenics is suggested by the most diverse minds as the most adequate and thorough avenue to the solution of racial, political and social problems. "I think you must agree ... that the campaign for birth control is not merely of eugenic value, but is practically identical with the final aims of eugenics ... Birth control propaganda is thus the entering wedge for the eugenic educator. "As an advocate of birth control I wish ... to point out that the unbalance between the birth rate of the 'unfit' and the 'fit,' admittedly the greatest present menace to civilization, can never be rectified by the inauguration of a cradle competition between these two classes. In this matter, the example of the inferior classes, the fertility of the feebleminded, the mentally defective, the poverty-stricken classes, should not be held up for emulation. "On the contrary, the most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective." -- Margaret Sanger. "The Eugenic Value of Birth Control Propaganda." Birth Control Review , October 1921, page 5. "Give dysgenic groups [people with 'bad genes'] in our population their choice of segregation or [compulsory] sterilization." -- Margaret Sanger, April 1932 Birth Control Review . "The third group [of society] are those irresponsible and reckless ones having little regard for the consequences of their acts, or whose religious scruples prevent their exercising control over their numbers. Many of this group are diseased, feeble-minded, and are of the pauper element dependent upon the normal and fit members of society for their support. There is no doubt in the minds of all thinking people that the procreation of this group should be stopped." -- Margaret Sanger. Speech quoted in Birth Control: What It Is, How It Works, What It Will Do. The Proceedings of the First American Birth Control Conference . Held at the Hotel Plaza, New York City, November 11- 12, 1921. Published by the Birth Control Review , Gothic Press, pages 172 and 174. "In passing, we should here recognize the difficulties presented by the idea of 'fit' and 'unfit.' Who is to decide this question? The grosser, the more obvious, the undeniably feeble-minded should, indeed, not only be discouraged but prevented from propagating their kind. But among the writings of the representative Eugenists [sic], one cannot ignore the distinct middle-class bias that prevails." -- Margaret Sanger, quoted in Charles Valenza. "Was Margaret Sanger a Racist?" Family Planning Perspectives , January-February 1985, page 44. "Birth control must lead ultimately to a cleaner race." -- Margaret Sanger. Woman, Morality, and Birth Control . New York: New York Publishing Company, 1922. Page 12. "There is only one reply to a request for a higher birthrate among the intelligent, and that is to ask the government to first take the burden of the insane and feeble-minded from your back. [Mandatory] sterilization for these is the answer." -- Margaret Sanger, October 1926 Birth Control Review . "[Slavs, Latin, and Hebrew immigrants are] human weeds ... a deadweight of human waste ... [Blacks, soldiers, and Jews are a] menace to the race." "Eugenic sterilization is an urgent need ... We must prevent Multiplication of this bad stock." -- Margaret Sanger, April 1933 Birth Control Review . "[Our objective is] unlimited sexual gratification without the burden of unwanted children ... [Women must have the right] to live ... to love ... to be lazy ... to be an unmarried mother ... to create ... to destroy ... The marriage bed is the most degenerative influence in the social order ... The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it." -- Margaret Sanger (editor). The Woman Rebel , Volume I, Number 1. Reprinted in Woman and the New Race . New York: Brentanos Publishers, 1922. Compiled by: American Life League P.O. Box 1350 Stafford, Virginia 22555 (540) 659-4171 Anti-Christian Statement from Margaret Sanger "[Because of birth control], child slavery, prostitution, feeble mindedness, physical deterioration, hunger, oppression and war will disappear from the earth. There will come a Plato who will be understood, a Socrates who will drink no hemlock, and a Jesus who will not die upon the cross. These and the race that is to be in America await upon a motherhood that is to be sacred because it is free." {Margaret Sanger. Woman and the New Race . Brentanos, 1922, page 161} People like Catherine, John Garon, Hillary Clinton, The Big O and the democrat socialist party scare the hell out of me because they freely idolize racist who have accomplished genocide. Now they get to run their death panels thru our socialized medicine.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 9:21 am

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is the perfect example of whipping up the frenzy with emotional religios appeal. That man has not passed along a single useful thought in his entire time at the pulpit. But he got them to fill the plate every Sunday and got himself into an all white gated community in the burb's in the U.S.of KKK Where they are ruled by rich white people. It is no different than the leftist college professors who write a text book bashing capitalism and then forcing all their students to buy it while the professor makes a profit on it.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 27, 2012 - 9:28 am

Kem, having grown up in a family of liberal intellectuals, I found that the fascination with the likes of and Mao,Che Gevera,Ceaser Chavez, Malcom X etc. deplete of the fact that their ideologies were skewed with racism. But golly they had grand ideas! Oddly the more things change, the more they become the same...

• EvelynNovember 27, 2012 - 9:28 am

Life is full of complexities, making these discussions fraught, burdened with misunderstanding and - unfortunately - counterproductive hostility. Not prepared to enter the racism/abortion fray, I nonetheless post the following link to Margaret Sanger's 1921 "The Eugenic Value of Birth Control Propaganda" @ http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/webedition/app/documents/show.php?sangerDoc=238946.xml

• Thomas GibneyNovember 27, 2012 - 9:29 am

"Ken" not Kem..

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 9:59 am

Thomas, my family was all Blue Dog democrats. They absolutely hated people like Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. Then they got a taste of Jimmy Carter. Funny how there's no more Blue Dogs. Currently there are 70 members of Congress who belong to the Socialist Caucus and 74 members of the Progressive Caucus, founded by the Democrat Socialist of America. But no Conservative Caucus?

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 12:22 pm

To focus on Sanger's involvement in the eugenics movement is, to me, to miss the fact that she was a nurse who went more than knee deep into the thick of human suffering and saw that when people aren't at choice in parenting, it's bad for them, especially bad for women, and bad for society. She fought for education on the benefits of every child being a wanted child. In her era, this was heady stuff. So again, how do we take in information and decide what constitutes history. Did she promote birth control out of hated, or not? Look at it this way: Without her forward thinking work, I would have had a lot more children. And they would all be voters.

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 12:24 pm

*** out of hatred, or not?

• Phil VeerkampNovember 27, 2012 - 12:43 pm

" . . . I would have had a lot more children. And they would all be voters." - - - - What a shame. Children frequently/usually go contrary to parents. After all what do mom and dad know . . . they’re idiots!

• Phil VeerkampNovember 27, 2012 - 12:57 pm

Catherine, I am impressed with your ability to winnow grains of virtue from the mountains of vile racism that was Margaret Sanger. I trust you could, if asked, produce a glowing dissertation on the Nixon’s presidency?

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 1:14 pm

Actually, Phil, I could. He wasn't all that bad.

• EvelynNovember 27, 2012 - 1:23 pm

However we regard eugenics, I'm not sure that Margaret Sanger was - by our current understanding of the word - a "racist". 91 years ago she wrote: "Seemingly every new approach to the great problem of the human race must manifest its vitality by running the gauntlet of prejudice, ridicule and misinterpretation. Eugenists may remember that not many years ago this program for race regeneration was subjected to the cruel ridicule of stupidity and ignorance. ... The most intransigent and daring teachers and scientists have lent their support to this great biological interpretation of the human race."

• Phil VeerkampNovember 27, 2012 - 1:46 pm

However we regard eugenics . . . LINK - Eugenics is the applied science of the bio-social movement which advocates the use of practices aimed at improving the genetic composition of a population, usually a human population . . . including: genetic screening, birth control, promoting differential birth rates, marriage restrictions, segregation (both racial segregation and segregation of the mentally ill from the rest of the population) . . . Most of these policies were later regarded as coercive and/or restrictive, and now few jurisdictions implement policies that are explicitly labeled as eugenic or unequivocally eugenic in substance. . . . The way eugenics was practiced in this period involved "interventions", which is a euphemistic name for the identification and classification of individuals and their families, including the poor, mentally ill, blind, deaf, developmentally disabled, promiscuous women, homosexuals and entire racial groups — such as the Roma and Jews — as "degenerate" or "unfit"; the segregation or institutionalisation of such individuals and groups, their sterilization, euthanasia, and in the extreme case of Nazi Germany, their mass extermination.

• EvelynNovember 27, 2012 - 1:51 pm

To the best of my knowledge, eugenics reemerged as a hot political topic following Obama’s appointment of John Holdren to head up the Office of Science and Technology. Hodren co-authored “Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment”. (1) Does that tell us anything about where we are headed? (2) Is the following fair comment? JOHN HOLDREN, OBAMA'S SCIENCE CZAR, SAYS: FORCED ABORTIONS AND MASS STERILIZATION NEEDED TO SAVE THE PLANET @ http://zombietime.com/john_holdren/

• EvelynNovember 27, 2012 - 1:56 pm

One parting question, then, like James E, I'm off. Got stuff to do!!! QUESTION: Do Margaret Sanger's writings themselves show her to have been a racist in the mold of Wikipedia's entry on Eugenics?

• Robert Van GilderNovember 27, 2012 - 2:00 pm

Are you all retired wealthy or sumthin'?

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 2:22 pm

Sanger is Hillary Clinton's idol and roll model for a perfect Progressive. To deny that Sanger was a racist is simply delusional. Her words "We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don't want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." -- Margaret Sanger's December 19, 1939 letter to Dr. Clarence Gamble, 255 Adams Street, Milton, Massachusetts. Original source: Sophia Smith Collection, Smith College, North Hampton, Massachusetts. So I guess that just because Robert Byrd was a Wizard for the KKK that is a stereo type? Could someone from the democrat socialist party define what a Progressive is?

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 2:46 pm

Hillary's own words http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4o4WizW2mQ

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 3:02 pm

Ken, I am not any part of the socialist, leftist, progressive, gulag loving, government authority by any means, communists, facist, redistribution of wealth, minority using, opportunity ending, education destroying, indoctrinating, people using, intolerant, no diversity of thought, public treasury robbing, wealth confiscating, liberty hating, freedom limiting, history revising, dependency creating democrat party so I can't really answer your question.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 3:15 pm

I can tell you one thing about progressives. A couple more generations of them running our schools and we will have to print instructions on toilet paper.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 27, 2012 - 3:27 pm

Hehehe! Funny Cookie! Actaully there is amovie called Idiocracy. Very scary in that it could come to be ...Lord help us! (But he can't since he is not allowed near any schools...)

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 3:34 pm

Robert: Yes. Evelyn, Everyone sees race (even though Steven Colbert denies it). Sanger worked to improve the quality of the life for black women who came from the south to NY in the late 1800s, many of whom had families that had been 'bred' for slavery. She was racist like Nixon was, but I think it makes sense to judge people who live big lives by the intention of their efforts. There was just so much more, socially and philosophically, to her work.

• Robert Van GilderNovember 27, 2012 - 4:04 pm

Catherine, thank God. You all will have the world's problems solved in no time!

• CatherineNovember 27, 2012 - 4:16 pm

Yup, Robert, all will be well as soon as I get my eugenics plan in place...

• James E.November 27, 2012 - 4:52 pm

Ms. Cookie65, you have missed your calling -- you should be a pundit on Fox News. Massive talk, minimal content.

• cookie65November 27, 2012 - 5:08 pm

James, I will never be a matthews, maddow, or maher. What they do contributes to global warming. An unjustifiable waste of precious resources. Oprah on steroids.

• James E.November 27, 2012 - 5:22 pm

Ms. Cookie65, no, but you could be a Hannity. If fact, you spin your stuff so much better that it makes him look like an amateur.

• Toleratic_1November 27, 2012 - 5:28 pm

Position as TOLERATIC_1 bequeathed to pack member most deserving of I Love to Hate Award. Convene selection panel forthwith; so many deserving contenders.

• Ken SteersNovember 27, 2012 - 5:50 pm

Catherine defends Sanger as overall being a good person. Well I guess supporters of Hitler and Stalin thought they had some fine traits. The fact is that Sanger and the Progressive movement in America came about via a form of racial hatred for anyone other than healthy Anglo/Saxons and Darwinism. What people like Hillary expect is for the mass of Americans to be uninformed. That is why the socialist democrat is hell bent on the Nationalized education system. It also explains the poor performance of inner-city schools that are exclusively run by the democrat socialist. The goal of the progressive is the rapid dumbing down of America. And it's working.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 27, 2012 - 8:54 pm

MOVE OVER, Margaret Sanger . . . LINK - Time nominates Sandra Fluke for ‘Person of the Year’

• Thomas GibneyNovember 27, 2012 - 9:41 pm

Wow Sandea Fluke...Thats sad. Proof Positive that Journalism is dead and so is AMerican culture...BUt again you have Obama Hey things are looking...nope sorry still crappy. Sad little people, liberals. Kruschev is still laughing

• James E.November 27, 2012 - 11:30 pm

Mr. Gibney, I agree that Ms. Fluke is a horrible choice. However, but for Rush insulting her and the female vote, Mitt would have had a better chance to be elected. Direct your anger to Rush and not sad little liberals.

• EvelynNovember 28, 2012 - 6:49 am

Fluke's not a sure bet. Hot competition from 39 others, including Undocumented Immigrants, Karl Rove, Pussy Riot, Barack Obama & Benjamin Netanyahu. YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!! Go to http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2128881_2128882,00.html

• James E.November 28, 2012 - 9:17 am

Evelyn, I haven't given much thought to Time's Man/Woman of the Year as my chances are very slim. Oh, and did you know that Pat Lakey's name was Evelyn P. Lakey?

• EvelynNovember 28, 2012 - 10:34 am

Wish I could meet the other Evelyn. As for Time’s 2012 “PERSON of the Year” Award, I’ve searched the list for locals and see we all got overlooked. I share your pain, James! Despite my attachment to the outcome of this significant “election” – YOUR VOTE MATTERS – I’m currently engrossed in the unfolding story, “What’s Happening with Nicolas Cage’s Face”.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 15, 2012 - 3:33 pm

John, who'da thunk it? Hillary's got a note from th' docktor - . Now she can't testify! IMAGINE!!! Out of th' f'ing bleu - damn th' luck!!! - - - LINK - Clinton Is Recovering From a Concussion

• EvelynDecember 15, 2012 - 3:53 pm

Why did Hillary need a doctor's excuse? She'd already made it known she was too busy to attend the hearings. The NY Times says: "The statement did not disclose the severity of the concussion nor did it say what day it occurred or why the State Department delayed disclosing the injury."

• Phil VeerkampDecember 15, 2012 - 4:14 pm

For 2016 she'll experience miraculous, total recovery WITH STRANGE SUPER-HUMAN MENTAL CAPACITY!

• Phil VeerkampDecember 15, 2012 - 5:03 pm

cnn has put together a lovely pictorial - left side – half way down - LINK - Hillary Clinton through the years - pray for a speedy recovery

Heard over the back fence: Advice offered writers

Big marijuana find in EDH

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 1 Comment | Gallery

Jury: Sanford guilty of murder

Initiative seeks roundabout vote

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Sheriff cracking down on Tahoe pot grows

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A3

Burn permits required May 1

By Cal Fire | From Page: A7

County backs task force to reduce human trafficking

By Chris Daley | From Page: A13

5 years prison for child porn

By News Release | From Page: A14

A victim tells her story

By Chris Daley | From Page: A14

Income inequality

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 2 Comments

Billingsley’s Bullets: Marriage makes me laugh

By Bob Billingsley | From Page: A4

What happened to ‘fair and balanced?’

Red tape

Is Ukraine in Asia, Europe or Latin America?

Vote for Parlin

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

County and ‘Miwoks’ getting together

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Ray Nutting’s donation for DA

Brown leads Golden Sierra

By Rebecca Reddish | From Page: A9

Cougars 1, Grizzlies 1

By Jerry Heinzer | From Page: A9

Cougars capitalize against Union Mine

Troy unpends Davis

By Brandon Anicich | From Page: A9 | Gallery

El Dorado wins tri-meet

D’backs drop the ‘Hammer’

By Mike Bush | From Page: A9

Cool Beerwerks is very cool

By Krysten Kellum | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Placerville celebrates Earth Day

By News Release | From Page: B3

Handcar Derby to get pumping

By Folsom Handcar Derby | From Page: B3

IT presents a Reader’s Theater of ‘Our Town’

By Imagination Theater | From Page: B4 | Gallery

Enjoy spring with Steiner Road wineries

By Steiner Road Wineries | From Page: B4

Art and brew are a perfect pair

By News Release | From Page: B5