My open-minded neighbors

Last week, as I was parking my vehicle with a large “Vote Obama” sign on top, a man, sporting an NRA cap, approached me. Judging from the look on his face, I knew he was not about to shake my hand. In my estimation, NRA and “angry man” are like two peas in a pod, so I immediately looked for a gun, but saw none. He pointed to the sign and asked: “Did you vote for that guy last time?” I told the truth: “You bet, and proud it of.” His retort: “You must be the only white guy around here that admits to voting for this n….r!”

Then I made my way to Home Depot. This was my lucky day. As I was exiting my vehicle, someone yelled from his pick up: “You better be careful with that sign around here!”

I wondered how many times, in a single day, I could park without being threatened for my political beliefs. “Probably none” is my guess.

JOHN C. GARON
Placerville

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 12:38 am

Mr. Garon, they were only demonstrating their philosophy -- fascists. Were they wearing Tea/Republican arm bands and brown shirts? Sounds like it. El Dorado County should be so proud.

• DB SmithOctober 19, 2012 - 5:19 am

Mr. Garon. I know that feeling sir. 4 years ago while sporting my McCain/Palin bumper sticker, I experienced many types of threats and it certainly wasn't just in El Dorado County. Please don't give El Dorado County a black eye over this.

• Just SayingOctober 19, 2012 - 5:56 am

@DB is exactly correct in that these type of things cut both ways. How would a Romney car sign in SF work? Probably get more than two comments and only one crude response. While it is a first amendment right to drive around in a car with a roof sign saying I am purple, it is also a first amendment right for others to comment. After all, people driving around with car signs are trying to garner a response. Mission accomplished. The point is civility and the ability to agree to disagree is rapidly disappearing in our society, in general. Look at public hearings for GDPUD, EID, City Council and the BoS. If you challenge a premise, then you are using the Delphi technique with conspiracy intentions. The art of persuasion through building blocks of common ground has been replaced with "if I am right, then you are wrong" - end of discussion. Look no further than Mt Democrat comment section and follow the trail of active posters. You reap what you sow....

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 8:33 am

More of the standard Tea/Republican talking point: Democrats do it too.

• Paddy O'furnitureOctober 19, 2012 - 9:23 am

Jimey, define fascist.

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 11:36 am

Mr. O'furniture, I refer you to the dictionary: Extreme right wing, authoritarian, or intolerent views or practice. Mr. Just Saying, it didn't happen in San Francisco, it happened here, and liberals don't make comments about Republican bumber stickers or car roof signs (unless you can prove rather than speculate). We do look and wonder silently "How could they vote for those candidates?" So, in sum, you are saying Mr. Garon was "asking for it" and got what he deserved. Where have I heard this argument before?

• paul SavageOctober 19, 2012 - 12:21 pm

...and liberals don't make comments about Republican bumber stickers or car roof signs (unless you can prove rather than speculate). and you believe this to be true? Amazing

• Jack MartinOctober 19, 2012 - 1:16 pm

Mr Garon, you reside in a Conservative county. That man's racist (and ignorant)comment aside, what did you expect? I would expect similar situations in Marin County with the Romney/Ryan decal on my motorcycle. The difference is, for the most part, you probably don't have to worry about your vehicle being vandalized when you walk away from it.

• Neither side is innocent....October 19, 2012 - 2:08 pm

Mr. Garon - I am sorry that you had that experience. But in response to James E., liberals are just as guilty (if not more in my humble opinion). For example, not long ago, a girl was kicked out of her class because she was wearing a Romney/Ryan t-shirt. Her teacher not only kicked her out of class but then proceeded to liken her to the KKK. In another example, a friend of mine who lives in P-ville and is a Romney/Ryan supporter had created their own version of political statements on their property only to have someone set it on fire. In fact I have thought often about showing my support for the candidate of my choice but have been too afraid that someone would either vandalize my car or my home, which is a legitimate fear. Unfortunately freedom of speech does not actually exist in this Country.

• Paddy O'furnitureOctober 19, 2012 - 3:37 pm

Jimey, Fascism according to one paragraph in Wikipedia; "Fascism advocates a state-controlled and regulated mixed economy; the principal economic goal of fascism is to achieve national autarky to secure national independence, through protectionist and interventionist economic policies. It promotes regulated private enterprise and private property contingent whenever beneficial to the nation and state enterprise and state property whenever necessary to protect its interests" Fascism is a merge of the state and the corporate world, such as was the case with GM and several banks which were bailed out. It is when corporate johns hop into the sack with the whores in DC. Most conservatives and libertarians like myself are in favor of less intimacy between these two groups. Swing and a miss, Jimey.

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 4:36 pm

Mr. O'furniture, don't go to Wiki for knowledge, go to your dictionary and look at definition #2. Those that go to Wiki think it's a swing and a miss, those that go to a real reference know it's a grand slam homer. But, good try on your part.

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 4:47 pm

Mr. or Ms. Neither side is innocent: There probably is a rule that no political t-shirts are allowed in class. As for the KKK comment (if true), the teacher should be investigated and sanctioned.

• William HeymanOctober 19, 2012 - 6:00 pm

Being mostly apolitical I have never had any bumper sticker, but ten years around Washington, D.C. convinced me to never express any political opinion. Any car with a sticker was almost sure to be "keyed." Even cars in the pentagon parking lot with a sticker saying, "We don't believe the Post" (meaning the Washington Post) were "keyed." I could go on, but anyway, by comparison, it seems to be all sweetness and light around here.

• Paddy O'furnitureOctober 19, 2012 - 6:02 pm

Look at history Jimey, countries like Italy and Nazi Germany were heavy into the government takeover/merging of industry and corporations, hence the label "fascist". You discredit yourself when you use terms you don't understand as a party line standard. Of course, you have very little credibility anyway, but what little you have is further diminished when you, like so many other lefties throw the word out there with no understanding of what it means from an historical standpoint. Pick another slur and leave that one where it belongs-on poeple like Hugo Chavez and Obomba-true proponents of government takeovers and intervention in the corporate world.

• Paddy O'furnitureOctober 19, 2012 - 6:19 pm

OBTW Little John, if you can't take the criticism, take the sign off. And certainly don't write a letter to the MD whining about it. Pathetic. I have been flipped off and cut off on the roads in the bay area for my anti-B. Hussein Obomba stickers in my car windows NUMEROUS times. Never had to complain about it to the paper though. Liberals are so petty. 8 years of anti-Bush bumper stickers and you pansies can't handle reciprocity. Man up and deal with it, or take the sign off.

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 8:16 pm

Mr. O'furniture. I hesitate to say you are dense, but it just may be true. Brown shirts in Germany who assaulted people in the streets, both verbally and physically, were fascists, while the governments of Italy and Germany were fascist governments. I did not say that a corporation verbally assaulted Mr. Garon. Just a brown shirt wearing an NRA cap. Did you really think the brown shirt was a corporation? You arouse my pity.

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 8:28 pm

The faux intellectuals in El Dorado County simply boggles the mind. They think Brown Shirts weren't fascists -- where did these people go to school?

• James E.October 19, 2012 - 8:45 pm

The Giants stay alive with a 5-0 win.

• Phillip VeerkampOctober 19, 2012 - 8:53 pm

Zito smash bunt RBI . . . harrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

• DB SmithOctober 20, 2012 - 7:47 am

Mr. Garon. If this incident really did happen, and if you really did feel threatened, then I think a guy like you would of called 911 or ran inside the store screaming "NRA hate crime Help, NRA hate crime Help" Your account of a guy in a NRA cap and you looking for a gun to defend yourself didn't include this other talk about fascist, brown shirts and arm bands. Is all of this true and if so why would you omit that from your story, or could someone be embellishing? Sounds like if you don't encounter any NRA caps and Black Panther Party members with clubs at polling booths you'll be just fine.

• Just SayingOctober 20, 2012 - 8:05 am

@James E. The 1st amendment protects the individual from the government for free speech among other things. However, does not protect one individual from another individual's criticism or comment. Mr. Garon continues to draw attention to his "cause" and himself as his right. No problem. This does not in anyway ensure that the rest of the world will not comment. Not sure when the last car sign actually created a persuasive argument or changed someone's opinion. Enjoy the expression of free speech, just do not complain about the lack of a group hug....

• observerOctober 20, 2012 - 8:15 am

Doncha just love it when Jon raptures on about political tolerance?

• Paddy O'furnitureOctober 20, 2012 - 8:29 am

So a fascist citizen has a different mindset than a fascist government? Interesting. I know citizens today who are socialists, and they share the same views of socialist government parties (and governments are made of people, don't you know). A fascist in WWII was aligned with a fascist government and they shared viewpoints and goals, much of which encompassed state controlled industry and the methods they used to accomplish it were similar to the socialists. BUT, the whole point to this thread is that you wanted to place an unflattering label on those of a conservative slant, but picked the wrong label. Fascist describes the modern day conservative or republican in America very poorly-they aren't in the same universe. There is nothing in common between the two. And even someone like you should know this. In this thread you denigrate the citizenry of El Dorado County twice. If you don't like it, feel free to go back to the bay area. BTW, don't get anything aroused on my behalf-it diverts too much blood away from the brain and you can't afford that.

• M. VosterOctober 20, 2012 - 8:40 am

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

• James E.October 20, 2012 - 11:11 am

It appears the topic "My open minded neighbors" has been exhausted. And what have I learned? I've learned that the First Amendment allows us to use the N word on Main Street. End of class. School is out.

• learnedOctober 20, 2012 - 11:53 am

James, we've also learned that vocabulary challenged commenters can use the F word.

• Phillip VeerkampOctober 20, 2012 - 12:48 pm

Giants - 10/21/2012 - 4:30 - Republicans AND Democrats welcome!!! - NO POLITICS SPOKEN DURING GAME - profanity allowed . . .

• Thomas GibneyOctober 20, 2012 - 4:55 pm

I hesitated to write a response here...but I personally think Mr. Garons account was fiction. Granted there are probably some ignorant people in the county(On the left and the right) But it seems to me like another attempt for Mr. Garon to get some attention. John, give it a rest. Your attempt to gin up some Anti gun/Racist vitriol is very unb original on your part. The fact that Mt Dem published your letter is actually quite humerous. Moving right along....

• DeeOctober 20, 2012 - 5:47 pm

Mr. Gibney-Thank you! That is our thought too! Circumstances were way too convenient.

• Ken SteersOctober 20, 2012 - 8:46 pm

Something I've learned from Garon's stories. One is he has a whole hell of a lot of trouble shopping at Home Depot. He gleams quite a few stereo-typical red neck racist confrontational encounters shopping there. I would not call what he does lying. It more like propaganda he manifest to earn another merit badge at the democrat central committee. These guys may not realize that they suffer from schadenfreude. Pretty much all they have left.

• James E.October 20, 2012 - 8:46 pm

Dee, sometimes things happen, and they can be ugly things. Mr. Gibney, as a Navy vet you are more than aware that ugly things said in the engine room are not often said in the wardroom. And, while you don't agree with Mr. Garon's politics, do you really think he is the kind of person who would cook up such a story? For what result? To influence the election in a "blue" state which is already going for President Obama? Doesn't make sense to me. To bad mouth El Dorado County? For what gain? Again, just doesn't make sense to me, as he knew what kind of reaction he would get with his letter. Perhaps he just wanted to let us all know there is some ugly out there. Something we all know, but we don't like to acknowledge or discuss. Sweep down, fore and aft!

• Thomas GibneyOctober 20, 2012 - 10:58 pm

No James, Mr Garon has a flair for the sensational. I admit there is ugly in this county and it DOES come from both sides. I have seen it myself since I sport a bumper sticker or two....but Mr Garons 'street cred' is nil. hence if it did happen he did not have the testicular fortitude to back his play (Street verbage for you sheltered folk) I do not condone any racist white trash. I have had to eradicate some personally when I managed apartments. But I stick by my first response to this letter....

• James E.October 20, 2012 - 11:26 pm

Mr. Gibney, as always we can pleasantly agree to disagree.

• DB SmithOctober 21, 2012 - 9:00 am

Mr. Gibney. Re: your last comment and to be fair, the racist slur description should of been displayed as w...e t...h.

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 21, 2012 - 11:02 am

Phil -- Giants - 10/21/2012 - 4:30...where?

• Phillip VeerkampOctober 21, 2012 - 11:59 am

Kirk - FOX - we have Comcast - ch 708 or kxtl 8

• Phillip VeerkampOctober 21, 2012 - 12:03 pm

. . . or how 'bout we all meet at Mr. Garon's for a group hugg . . . .

• Kirk MacKenzieOctober 21, 2012 - 12:30 pm

Phil -- I was thinking something more neutral and central and big and slow. The only thing that comes to mind is the casino in Shingle Springs. But I've never been there so maybe not a good idea.

• James E.October 21, 2012 - 8:21 pm

Giants win again. One more to get into the World Series.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 3:11 pm

Lady Macbeth, an appellation that begins with "lady" ought to be viewed with the same level of skepticism as one beginning with "truth" - "patriot" - "fair" - "equal" - "democratic" - - -

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 5:31 pm

My God, DB was semi-right. But, more accurately I was not defending Mr. Garon beyond his right to report, more my disgust of Home Depot customers who use the N word. Are people who use the N word racists -- yes, and Mr. Martin agreed. Did Mr. Garon use the N word? No, he didn't, the other actor in the play did. So who is the racist? DB, my bad for having a deficient memory. And, given we are back on this topic, DB, please tell me again how I might be a racist by commenting on the legislator who switched from Democrat to Republican. The man's race had nothing to do with his switch. Rather his desire to run for Lt. Governor. So, unsure how his race had anything to do with it. And, don't refer your reason back to Home Depot, as the Home Depot affair has nothing to do with the legislator. Phil, it's great to have company again the inner sanctum.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 5:46 pm

Tip o' th' hat, James! . . . but back to your peanut butter keyboard . . . How's Fred after the keyboard clean-up? . . . and . . . how can we be absolutely certain that your sticky keyboard is not the offending object responsible for bring down the forum . . . some inadvertent random key combination that scrambled the forum operating code . . . your background in military intelligence? . . . hmmmm? the crash and the "peanut butter keyboard"???

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 5:47 pm

Colonel, gotta luv ya. It's like this. According to the Democratic strategy, and after being accused of being a racist, the burden of proof is not up to me to prove that you are but rather for you to prove that you are not. You are suspect. Do you kinda see what it feels like? The accusation can really have nothing to do with reason. Come on you get it.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 6:06 pm

DB, OK, given your logic, I think you are a racist. Now prove to us all that you are not. The burden of proof is on you. Phil, my new keyboard arrived yesterday and Mr. Fred passed his physical on Tuesday with flying colors. No evidence of cancer return. It is very likely that my faulty keyboard did cause the crash of the Mt.Democrat site as anything is possible in the computer world, especially when keyboards are mixed with peanut butter. Interesting side story -- I ordered a big bag of dog food from Amazon and also ordered the new key board. The big box with dog food arrived and was put back in my storage area, but the keyboard did not. I complained to Amazon and was in the process of getting another keyboard when I cut open the dog food box and there was the keyboard. They had shipped both in the same box. Moral of the story: Amazon combines orders in the same box but fails to inform the buyer.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 6:07 pm

DB, I'll give you the answer -- one cannot prove a negative. Are we done now?