No Cameron Park Annexation

Per your article “Cameron Park District eyes Annexation,” Shiva Frentzen wants to expand Cameron Park to increase revenue?

That is taxation without representation or purpose. Why would we (Shingle Springs) possibly want to be a part of their failed bureaucracy? One only has to look at the airport and the businesses around Camerado Springs Middle School for proof of their failure.

Here is a long-time resident who thinks this is a really dumb reason to annex a rural community like Shingle Springs and we would like the CPCSD to go back to the drawing board and come up with another idea that makes sense to increase their revenue.

LESLIE DAVIS
Shingle Springs

• Phil VeerkampApril 09, 2013 - 8:19 pm

. . . . like a Cameron Park income tax?

• NancyApril 10, 2013 - 10:06 am

Is Cameron Park run by Democrats or Repubs? I've never been able to get an answer to that question. Please don't tell me they are bi-partisan because I don't believe it.

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 10:13 am

Cameron Park is a census-designated place...there is documented census items http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Park,_California#Government

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 10:18 am

Cameron Park, CA Democrat 43.610% Republican 54.140% Independent Other 2.242%

• Barbara RogersApril 10, 2013 - 12:57 pm

Currently the Cameron Park CSD cannot make it on the dollars they have so why not poached from other areas and take those tax dollars. It is not a secret, I have been saying this for years. The Community Center is draining the budget. Rather than figure out a way to increase revenues, some people feel it easier to throw new revenues at a problem instead of solving it. The G.M. is not doing anything to fix this issue and the majority of the board (Stanton, McNeil and Tucker) are encouraging her to run free. She is more interested in putting herself out there the at the county level, attending meetings than taking care of this district and Cameron Park. Basically she is a self promoter and we do not need that type of leadership. She will move on when she has sucked this district dry. So when the next election comes about, I truly hope people will elect the right people.

• Ken SteersApril 10, 2013 - 4:33 pm

Well maybe if the county would have actually gave CP the tax dollars they stole then maybe CP wouldn't be in such a financial mess. Why isn't the Board Members rallying residents with pitch forks and torches and demand that their County Supervisor pay them the back taxes owed? We few in Cameron Estates seen what was coming so we built walls and installed gates to defend ourselves from the evil CP hoard. Sorry I just watched Vikings.

• Barbara RogersApril 10, 2013 - 9:52 pm

Vikings, I really love that show. Since I am Scandinavian I do enjoy a good fight, however Mr. Steers CPCSD missed that boat years ago to annex properties into the District. I might add they were all asleep at the wheel until Matt Silva discovered what was going on. And why was that? Because the people running the district were not proactive and intelligent enough to see what was going on. With that said, I could care less if they annex, but why not try to make the community center a success? I'm just saying, poaching is so easy to do. That way they don't have to worry about their deficits year after year. Maybe they should tax us more, good idea? I think you had better build your walls higher, I understand there are people in your neighborhood that would like to be brought into CP. Good luck with that one...

• Ken SteersApril 11, 2013 - 10:07 am

Barbara, I don't think that annexation Cameron Estates would come close to passing. I own homes and pay taxes in CP. So I'll throw my two cents out there. It seems to me that the Community Center might have a revenue problem. But isn't that is the problem for almost everyone in America today? Cameron Park is a government entity, so is not encumbered with the same nuances that a private business goes by. Such as profitability and supply and demand. People might want to lighten up a little bit. The board isn't paid much if anything. It's not their money or their business. And it seems they have very little control. If I were them I would say to the Director. Hey! You knew the situation when we hired you. You wanted the job. Fix it. If she doesn't do the job then cut her free and bring in the next person who wants a six figure salary. But I'm cold and heartless that way.

• Jim RiordanApril 11, 2013 - 10:27 am

Kenny, one thing they forgot when the Estates built the walls to keep us Cameron Park Low-Lifes out of the Estates was to remove the gate code from the video display when ya pull up to the gates . . . I drive my golf car through the estates all the time to get to Stores off Cameron Park drive from "the back way." (I actually have several friends in the estates that I visit regularly and they are all great people.)And Nancy, I am a conservative independent . . I would not join either party . . ever! I would never join any party that would have me as a member, as Groucho once said. As far as the CPCSD, it is an overbuilt and underfunded monument to idiocy that takes just enough money from the fire dept. fund to scratch by every year. They need to get a real manager with enough brains, experience and knowledge to generate enough dollars to operate it at a profit, or sell it to a business and get their hands out of our pockets.

• Ken SteersApril 11, 2013 - 6:34 pm

Shhh Jim. You would not believe how many of my uninvited relatives have been thwarted by the fact that they couldn't see the code. The code is right in front of them. Too complicated. Still the walls are effective against C.P. residents and Vikings. Yes the CPCSD argument. First you were mad because you didn't want it and it was too expensive. Now you're mad because it doesn't pay for itself. We need to make up our minds.

• BobApril 11, 2013 - 10:29 pm

Jim and other: Forget republican vs. democrat. CPCSD is owned and maaged by the fire dept. union. Every single Board member was financially supported (read hired by) the union. Just ask, they will tell you. Yes, the Board has recetly slightly decreased the increase in their budget, but note how they continue to staff unneccessary positions. Note how the county agencies refuse to outsource the ambulance service. they decided to cut the number of paramedic units instead of outsourcing to private companies, to support the over paid union members. Goverment staffing will continue to grow, sucking the life out of the rest of us if we let them. Have an issue with the CPCSD; show up and voice you concerns, or suck it up and shut up.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment