Monday, April 21, 2014

Open letter to Gov. Brown

Sir,

My wife and I have decided to relocate outside California as we are no longer willing to tolerate the tax-and-spend policies of the California Legislature.

Once again California has a one-year windfall of tax revenue, and instead of looking at the longer term there is a clamor to commit to a level of spending that cannot be sustained in the future. These boom-bust cycles are fiscal madness.

Four years ago I closed down my California small business because of the burden of regulations, state bureaucracy and the multiple agencies with their hands in my cash register. We are now completing our plan to leave the state entirely.

To those who feel the same as we do, I encourage you to be bold and move out. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Those who would like to move, but cannot, you have our sympathy.

We are moving to a state that appears to understand lower tax rates generate more revenue, and ever-increasing rates or hiding taxes as fees only results in resentment.

So in saying goodbye, we also bid farewell to Mr. Longhofer and Mr. Garon; you have what you voted for and probably what you deserve.

ALAN FOREMAN
Camino

• Phil VeerkampJuly 10, 2013 - 7:03 pm

Good grief, Garon! Colonel, say something. Who's going to pick up the slack?

• James E.July 10, 2013 - 7:09 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Foreman, have a good trip.

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 6:54 am

The one thing leftists cannot control is the fact that until they impose complete and total tyranny people will continue to vote with their feet and their wallets. 73,000 businesses left California in 2012. The population of the state is stuck between flat lining and actually declining. The only measurable growth in population is illegal immigration who come here to feed at the public trough. I realize how those who believe in leftist utopia reject all historical evidence of the failure of socialism but this state ran out of other peoples money a couple of decades ago. Enjoy being free of the lunatics who are destroying this state with the help of the public sector unions.

• NancyJuly 12, 2013 - 10:29 am

Best wishes to you, Alan Foreman. I've looked at leaving too. If I could get my family to leave we'd all be gone. I wish El Dorado county would do like Northern Colorado is planning and secede from CA. It is just a dream but I wish that would happen.

• Jesus H ChristJuly 12, 2013 - 10:53 am

Northern Colorado should stay in New Mexico and not secede from California.

• NancyJuly 12, 2013 - 10:56 am

Makes one wonder who will buy the homes in San Stino and other new planned development areas in El Dorado County.

• NancyJuly 12, 2013 - 10:57 am

What???

• FranJuly 12, 2013 - 11:28 am

Nancy...just ignore him...if you read your post--he is making fun of the why you phrased your sentence...not being able to use my hands any more--I just ignore people making fun of "mistakes" in spelling and grammar--plus if you look at the new generation of writing--there are no rules...I understood what you were saying...the only comment I have is that if we were a state--the people I am against would still be here. Have a great morning...I enjoyed your comment.

• FranJuly 12, 2013 - 11:31 am

not why--way...sorry...hands hurt today

• Paddy O'furnitureJuly 12, 2013 - 2:16 pm

Waiting for someone to answer Phil's question-who's gonna pick up the slack? Hundreds of thousands of non-taxpaying welfare sponges are depending on peeps like Mr. Foreman to stay on the hamster wheel and pay the tab. Colonel? Groaner? Anybody???

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 2:30 pm

Paddy, I've already wished Mr. and Mrs. Foreman a good trip to wherever? Who will pick up their slack? The next Mr. and Mrs. X who moves to California.

• Paddy O'furnitureJuly 12, 2013 - 2:58 pm

Colonel; FACT: it's not Mr and Mrs X who are moving in, it's Senor and Senora X (like "aches"), and most of those moving to Kalifornia are coming for benefits, not the jobs. We're going in the hole. A bigot, I am not. Just a realist.

• Dink LaneJuly 12, 2013 - 3:04 pm

Why didn't anyone get upset with WalMart's sweetheart deal... NO Property Taxes.... Why didn't anyone get upset with the Republican Board of Supervisors charging Small Businesses taxes EVERY month on their inventory... (NO only a few counties do that -- But our Republican based EDC does it.)...... Oh I forgot.... That's Republicans doing that.... Let's ignore County officials laying fees and taxes on Small Business that State and Federal officials would never try... Let's blame the Democrats....

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 3:14 pm

Paddy, you have no way of knowing the ethnic background of Mr. and Mrs. X. And, if Caucasian, Latino, Asian, American Indian, etc., they may be equal or more financially successful that Mr. & Mrs. Foreman and will quite easily pick up the slack for them. You assume Mr. and Mrs. X are Latino and poor -- may not be the case. Will the real Mr. & Mrs. X please stand up to be recognized.

• Free hand outJuly 13, 2013 - 10:10 am

Hola, ya estamos aquí

• Dink LaneJuly 12, 2013 - 3:18 pm

Actually my neighbor moved from PA...(Irish Catholic)... They moved here for the CLEAN WATER, reliable Insurance protection on their health, car and property..... I drive cross country and talk to actual people. The laws in "conservative" states are focused on protecting the Big Corporations and the people have huge bills...... I hope the Foremans do well. Once you realize what it's like to live in a state that can confiscate your vehicle if you can't pay the fine right there on the road (TX Hwy 59 south of Huston)... they'll be back or sorry they left... I hope they don't move to OK.... all those tornadoes... and no insurance... is tough...

• NancyJuly 14, 2013 - 3:38 am

I am a native Californian and I don't know of anybody who has moved here from another state in many, many years. Most of my neighbors moved here from the Bay Area. NONE of them moved here from another state. There is a net loss of Californians moving out. When the taxpayers are gone who will be left to foot the bill? You.

• ScoopJuly 12, 2013 - 6:47 pm

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Foreman, May God speed in your excellent decision to exit the land of fruits and nuts, DOMINATED by greedy legislators and their beholden civil servant pensioners that vote for them in perpetuity, and then also flee the state! Collective bargaining? Please... The posts by Dumb and Dumber (typical anecdoctal and vacuous arguments from Stanlinist sycophants) stands as hard evidence to bolster your wisdom. Myriad evidence supports your decision, and more astute and dedicated commenters than I may endeavor to cite such. Perhaps I'll return to do so, but it's been too long of a week already, only to turn over a huge chunk to local, state and fed thieves, just like you wrote. How about Napolitano now heading Californicate's pubic universities? She is as qualified for that post as her former job, at triple the salary. CA screwels are now offically sunk. I and many others are right behind you. Thanks for the great letter.

• ScoopJuly 12, 2013 - 7:02 pm

Correction: Replace "anecdotal" with "fallacious". Furthermore, at least Dumber knows how to capitalize and end a thought with a period and not a bastardization of "three dot journalism" (hat tip to the great Herb Caen).

• Paddy O'furnitureJuly 12, 2013 - 7:53 pm

Incorrect Colonel, I do have a way of knowing the ethnicity of those coming into CA; it's called empirical data, aka hard facts. More Latinos are moving in than any other group. Many of these are illegals, and as such, will work under the table (contributing no income taxes), and collect welfare bene's. Did you really not know this or are you just playing devil's advokat??

• FranJuly 12, 2013 - 8:36 pm

Paddy...can you define how you are using empirical data? Most studies show that empirical data is based on observations and trials...not hard facts. If the data is collected from a case of 100 people...it is not considering the variable of lets say 10,000 people coming in --the projections may change. I would like to know the study that you are using. Someone from another part of the county has said more Russians are coming in...Florida has said Cubans. Just asking--no argument intended...many people are using this term lately "empirical data" as hard core evidence...yet a variety of variables can change the data...I am just trying to understand. Thanks

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 8:37 pm

Paddy O', the latinos are rather proud of the fact that they are rapidly becoming the MAJORITY group in California. You either have to be ignorant, selective in your information consumption or intellectually dishonest to not know it. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57566998/hispanics-predicted-to-become-majority-in-california-in-2014/

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 8:41 pm

The NYTimes breaks down the change in demographics over the last 2 decades. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/20/us/hispanics-californias-next-majority.html?_r=0

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 8:47 pm

Look at all the stuff the leftists want to give away to the latino's and it will tell you all you need to know about the expanding latino population. Move aside all the other groups the left separates people into, you are going to take a back seat.

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 8:50 pm

Scoop, there are a couple of sites where I never capitalize and end every sentence with 3 dots. Just for the simple fact that it is so irritating to the mathematically challenged grammatically correct leftists.

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 8:50 pm

Paddy, I do know that at some point in the future California will become Latino -- with the numbers coming from Latino America citizens, and documented and undocumented Latinos. However, the 'specific' question was who would pick up the slack for Mr. and Mrs. Foreman. It could be Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Slim. Yes, they are Latino from Mexico. And their worth is $73 billion, so they will easily pick up the slack for Mr. and Mrs. Foreman should they choose to move to California. But, in reality, when Mr. and Mrs. Foreman cross the California border, the next one in will replace them and there is no way we will know who. Citizen, or illegal, well-to-do or poor. So again, Mr. and Mrs. Foreman, have a good trip, we citizens of the golden state will survive your departure.

• NancyJuly 14, 2013 - 3:46 am

Yes, CA will survive their departure. However, CA may not survive the continued exodus of people like them. There are far more poorer people coming into this state than there are rich ones.

• cookie65July 12, 2013 - 9:18 pm

James, there is probably something you need to understand about Hispanics and their rise from minority to majority. Your leftist media won't tell you so I will. The Hispanics will not allow the leftists to destroy their family unit they way they have done to other minorities and they will not allow the leftists to cull their population though abortion the way other minorities have.

• FranJuly 12, 2013 - 10:04 pm

Phil...they have arrived...http://tinyurl.com/oxkods3 Walmart Twinkies are here, on sale before Hostess planned...James I am still hunting for Beanee Weenees...although many people know what they are...how come I had never heard of them?

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 10:32 pm

Fran, it's possible that you never heard of them because you weren't in the Army.

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 10:36 pm

Walmart said that they would sell Twinkies three days in advance of the official release date of July 15th. However, only in selected stores, so us locals may have to wait until the 15th. OK, fess us, who went to the Walmart in Placerville and did you score?

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 10:37 pm

Cookie, I already knew that -- Latinos are extremely family oriented.

• James E.July 12, 2013 - 10:40 pm

*** delete us, add up.

• Paddy O'furnitureJuly 13, 2013 - 6:28 am

Fran, my empirical data and hard facts (as opposed to statistics, which according to Mark Twain...) can be discovered by a trip to South Sac, Stockton, Modesto, or just about any city in the bay area or LA. Entire shopping centers that used to sport signs in English now advertise "Carniceria", "Panaderia", "Joyeria", "Supermercado", "Discoteca", "Iglesia", etc, etc, etc. Entire neighborhoods are now Latino. In the particular line of work I'm in, we have seen a massive shift in the demographics we serve from predominantly English speaking, to half English-half Spanish, to now predominantly Spanish speaking. So much so that over the last 10 years, I've had to learn to speak Espanol so as to keep up ("Hola! Soy yo, Paddy de los Muebles!"). This empirical data also happens to agree with the statistics being thrown at us. You can read statistics till you're numb, but nothing demonstrates the facts like a drive through a neighborhood or city you've been familiar with for 10 years or more and been able to observe the gradual yet relentless progression. So there you have it.

• Paddy O'furnitureJuly 13, 2013 - 6:32 am

And no, I don't sell furniture. That was me great grand pap many year' ago.

• cookie65July 13, 2013 - 8:30 am

• PvillejackJuly 13, 2013 - 3:59 pm

To those that want to leave the state for whatever reason, please check out the listings on Zillow, I'm sure you'll find a wonderful home in Whitebreadistan.

• AngelaJuly 13, 2013 - 4:30 pm

I agree with you Sir.My husband and I realize all about it as he has a small business too, and we see how TX approaches CA businesses to take them, offering them tax breaks, etc.We will continue to live here, but as much as we love the wineries of the El Dorado County, we will definitely not retire here. There are good wineries out of State too !

• AngelaJuly 13, 2013 - 4:42 pm

There's no reason to mock Mr Foreman please . He's got a good point. He didn't mention the immigration and many are talking about it. It is not only the immigration, it is other things as how the State lets its people abuse the system! Example: handicap parking. It used to be handicap the one with REAL DISABILITIES not the FAT people. We know people that are perfectly ok, but are FAT and have a handicap permits !! Is handicap permits now for lazy people? Latinos do abuse the system too and the State permits it., they have children they can't afford and in one way or another get SSN benefits to their parents taht never contributed to the system, and worst of all, refuse to speak english and demand services "en espanol"..unnaceptable. Probably because there are many latinos working for the State ? Don't tell me that it is impossible because I know they somehow get it. I also come from a latin family, but I'm a US Citizen, married to an american ( to the dislike of my latino friends), I embrace American culture, work hard, pay my taxes, go to the University, contribute to local charities, and do not collect gov. benefits.

• PNBJuly 14, 2013 - 8:12 am

I am going to say it again. There are a lot of uneducated people in El Dorado County. James E.... The last time I blogged you said I thought I was smarter. Don't misquote me I said "uneducated." There is a difference.

• cookie65July 14, 2013 - 8:36 am

PNB, right you are. Educated and smarts have nothing in common. I will concede your claim of being educated. I do however take some pleasure in defining for others here what you consider educated. It is the total acceptance and unmistakable ability to repeat the groupthink lemming koolaid you have consumed without the slightest evidence of critical thinking or discernment.

• cookie65July 14, 2013 - 8:46 am

Up next for the pretzel twists of political correctness is the workplace violence of ft. hood. The intellectual dishonesty of leftists and unparalleled denial of reality has them imitating macramé in their attempt to call a terrorist attack anything but a terrorist attack. But the nutjob they are going out of their way for ain't having it. He is undermining the obama regimes fairy tale reality. http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/fort-hood-terrorist-really-working-hard-to-convince-skeptical-judge-that-hes-a-muslim-terrorist/

• cookie65July 14, 2013 - 9:21 am

Note the gift leftists have for remaining steadfast in their alternate reality regardless of the evidence. Even bill maher, not known for his limited government views, agrees with the writer of this letter. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/03/21/bill_maher_discovers_his_inner_grover_norquist_117573.html

• cookie65July 14, 2013 - 9:57 am

"No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce." -Thomas Sowell

• PNBJuly 14, 2013 - 11:04 am

Wow Cookies You actually wrote politely to me. That's the first time. See it wasn't that hard.

• cookie65July 14, 2013 - 2:54 pm

PNB, I am one the most polite people you could ever meet. However, when it comes to politics I typically use the tactics the left believe are exclusive to themselves. When we are talking about the future prosperity of this country and the defense of freedom and liberty I couldn't care less about hurting feelings.

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4 | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 10 Comments

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10