Paper ignored president’s reelection

EDITOR: Re, Jack Failor’s letter titled “Disappointed, but not surprised” (Letters, Nov. 14):

His letter prompted me to respond as I also could not believe that your paper chose not to publish anything on the front page that our president had been reelected like other newspapers did the day after the election. We subscribe to the Sacramento Bee as well as the Mountain Democrat; however your publisher and/or editor are so blatant, derogatory and unprofessional with their personal opinions in the editorial section that it is ridiculous. I do not recall such biased articles from the previous publisher/editor of your paper and we’ve been subscribers for 22 years.

I enjoy reading the letters to the editor from subscribers in both papers giving their left and right views and that is the place where opinions and comments should be given. In closing, I totally agree with Mr. Failor’s idea that you should rename your paper and begin calling it the Mountain Republican. My sentiments exactly.

JOANN CONNITT

Placerville

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 5:58 am

Another informed, educated and enlightened lib who didn't know who won the prez election. If you prefer unbiased journalism might I suggest the New York Times or the Washington post or perhaps any of the thousands of other sources of liberal media. The Mountain Democrat was named some time prior to the miners, shop keepers and settlers knowledge that they were required to pay for housing, groceries, healthcare, vision, dental, gender reasignment surgery, cell phones, transportation, and practically anything else those who choose not to support themselves may desire. So you may be correct. It may be time to change the name. Could you suggest something that reflects personal responsibilty which has no affiliation to the modern democrat party?

• AnthonyNovember 21, 2012 - 8:33 am

cookie65, exactly where did Ms. Connitt say that she was not aware of the results of the recent election? She said no such thing. It is far too typical of you folks on the right to make things up out of thin air. Birtherism, poll-truthing, death panels, Obama-phones, state flag of Ohio is an Obama flag, etc. etc. etc. I figured the political right would have to find some new fairy tale to believe in. Looks like the new story for the next four years will be the fiction about the Democratic party and those of who support it. We are all lazy moochers looking a handout. When our personal stories contradict that lie, and we have the temerity to point it out, we are "bragging". And the beat goes on. In any case, a newspaper is supposed to report the news, regardless of whether the facts of the story offend the political sensibilities of the majority of the readers. That is the point of the letter. But thanks for the heads-up. This new resident of El Dorado county appreciates knowing that if I want actual journalism, it will not be found in this newspaper. I will have to stick to the Washington Post and by the way, there is no such thing as the "democrat party". The correct term is "Democratic party"

• Phil VeerkampNovember 21, 2012 - 8:43 am

Anthony, are you a democrat or are you a democratic? (or other?)

• AnthonyNovember 21, 2012 - 9:08 am

Phil Veerkamp, let's not play games. The point is that the correct term is "Democratic party", not "Democrat party". If people on the right cannot extend the fundamental level of respect to refer to people and their organizations in the way they prefer, then I suppose the political schism in this country is truly too wide to fix. I disagree with the TeaParty on almost everything. When the movement first started, they called themselves TeaBaggers. When the sexual innuendo became widely known, they no longer called themselves TeaBaggers. They changed to the term TeaParty. I respected that change. I did not need to mock them in order to express my differing viewpoints. But the truth is I am getting a little fed up at extending the kind of respect to other people that I seldom receive in return. The term that is universally preferred when the word is used as an adjective is "Democratic Party".

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 9:31 am

Anthony, respectfully, I prefer using the term "DemoCRAPS".

• Phil VeerkampNovember 21, 2012 - 9:38 am

LINK - The “Ic” Factor

• Phil VeerkampNovember 21, 2012 - 9:40 am

LINK - Democrat Party (epithet)

• foamie mouthNovember 21, 2012 - 9:49 am

smith uses respectfully in a complete sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RichardNovember 21, 2012 - 9:56 am

My wife and I are both independent voters who gave the Mountain Democrat home delivery the boot several years ago. Making any kind of an informed political decision using this bias publication was impossible and the make you want to gag stories about Ray Nutting intolerable. What ever happen to fair in impartial reporting. I would guess that as a community newspaper that only feeds off half of the community that it’s doomed to extinction. I must admit, I will miss the online responses, murders, and accident reports..

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 9:57 am

foamie, are you the little bro to Foaming? Stop that drooling.

• foamie mouthNovember 21, 2012 - 10:09 am

nah . . . foaming is my altar ego

• AnthonyNovember 21, 2012 - 10:28 am

DB Smith you are certainly entitled to your "preference". Personally, I prefer to treat other people the way I want them to treat me, regardless of their political views. Give it a try sometime.

• DeeNovember 21, 2012 - 11:21 am

To the Editor- Just a note of thanks for the way you covered the election. It is nice to be able to find out election results without wading through all the results for national elections. As far as covering the Presidential results we turned on the T.V. at eight fifteen and saw the race had been called. We shut off the T.V. Please don't change the your coverage of elections. It is the right way for a local paper.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 11:56 am

Richard, We're really going to miss you buddy. When's your last day going to be. Somebody just might want to throw you a going away party. I just renewed my MD subscription and looking forward to many more enjoyable issues.

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 11:59 am

Anthony, we all witnessed the dem's version of "democratic" during their vote of party platform. It is funny when the party of mob rule tells the mob to sit down and shut the h3!! up. Were are not interested in what you want or what you have to say, you are only useful idiots.

• DeeNovember 21, 2012 - 12:02 pm

Richard-Are you reading the paper at the Library or do you have an online subscription? Or have you found a way to scam the paper? Unlike DB, I won't miss your angry rantings.

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 12:06 pm

Richard, why hide behind the fiction and claim of being independent? Are you ashamed of being a leftist? Why do you on the left think you fool anyone?

• biscuitNovember 21, 2012 - 12:11 pm

cookie you don't fool us for one minute - in your real life youre a cracker

• hair on fireNovember 21, 2012 - 12:33 pm

Bill Clinton and Al Gore go into a local diner for lunch. As they read the menu the waitress comes over and asks Clinton, "Are you ready to order?" Clinton replies, "Yes, I'd like a quickie." "A quickie?!?" the waitress replies. "Sir, given the current situation of your personal life I don't think that is a good idea. I'll come back when you are ready to order from the menu." She walks away. Gore leans over to Clinton and says, "Bill, it's pronounced 'Quiche.'"

• RichardNovember 21, 2012 - 2:30 pm

Cookie, Smith, foame, biscuit and hair on fire, even as a collective group you don’t make any sense. I was wondering how it feels being associated with a newspaper and political party that are both spiraling downward into oblivion? If I were in your shoes I would be giving some deep thought to the fact that maybe I hitched my pony to the wrong wagon. Keep fighting (girl) girls, its great entertainment.

• DeeNovember 21, 2012 - 2:40 pm

Richard-I thought you left. I sure I heard the door shut at your exit.

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 2:56 pm

Richard the independent turns out to be not so independent. Whodathunkit. What is it like feeling like you have to pretend to be something that you are not in order to attempt to sound thoughtful? People like me can see thru leftists like you in less than one sentence. And I will come right out and tell you proudly that I am an anti-leftist. I wouldn't even call myself a republican. They are just as responsible for the disgrace this country is becoming as the commie leftists.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 3:03 pm

Cookie65 ~ so perfectly said! Thank you...

• cookie65November 21, 2012 - 3:07 pm

Biscuit, I am a wheat thin pretending to be a snickerdoodle. Like pinocchio pretending to be our president.

• RichardNovember 21, 2012 - 3:49 pm

No Dee Dee, that noise you heard was my neighbor Ray Nutting building another structor on his property with out a permit. I just love you girls, your hilarious. Beat me, whip me make me think the way Rush does.

• Jack FailorNovember 21, 2012 - 5:19 pm

This is just a wild guess, but my hunch is that cookie65 is a unhappy Republican loser that can't understand why her precious "Mitt" was unable to pull off a huge upset that her party predicted was going to be a landslide. Aw, poor baby! Thanks to Joann Connitt for her comments supporting my thoughts that our local paper if very biased and unable or unwilling to report news as it happens. Oh well, we get what we get.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 5:35 pm

Richard, I don't know when you're signing off, but before I lose the chance, I wanted to make sure and thank you for your military service to our country. I know that we do not agree on one damn thing but that does not have any effect on my sincere gratitude to you and your family for your service. Thank You, God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving.

• RichardNovember 21, 2012 - 6:00 pm

• AnthonyNovember 21, 2012 - 8:58 pm

cookie65, if you are not interested in what I have to say, you are perfectly welcome to ignore my remarks and not respond to them. as far as being a useful idiot, I think you have me confused with the folks who think the birth certificate was a fake. now those are useful idiots.

• cookie65November 22, 2012 - 6:47 am

Anthony, I was refering to what the dem party leaders told the useful idiots at their convention held by the "democrat" national commitee. If you remember the vote required 2/3 and it got passed by less than half because the leaders are not interested in what the useful idiots think of have to say. Learn reading comprehension. It may expose you to things you never dreamed of.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:02 am

Health Care for the 9/11 First Responders who got sick from being at Ground Zero- Would provide billions of dollars in health care to help the 9/11 First Responders who were at Ground Zero on 9/11 and are now sick because of it. Republicans blocked this.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:05 am

The Small Business Jobs Act -would give LOCAL, community banks access to billions of dollars to loan to small businesses. Republicans blocked this, then attempted to block it a second time and failed.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:09 am

Senator Franken’s Anti-Rape Amendment to the Defense Appropriations Bill – Makes it so that women raped overseas while working for foreign contractors have the right to have their case heard in an American court instead of having their case mediated by the company they work for. Only Republican men voted against this, but it passed.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:13 am

Benefits for Homeless Veterans- Would have expanded benefits to homeless veterans and homeless veterans with children. Republicans blocked this.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:17 am

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act- Pumped billions of dollars into state and local Governments to prevent us from sinking into a second Great Depression. Republicans opposed this but now want to take credit for the parts of it that we know are successful

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:19 am

Fair Pay Act of 2009- Also called the Lily Ledbetter bill. Requires that women receive equal compensation to men for doing the same work. Republicans attempted to block this.

• Your Republican CongressNovember 22, 2012 - 7:30 am

John McCain led the filibuster of the Defense Appropriations Act last week, he blocked; •Report identifying hybrid or electric propulsion systems and other fuel-saving technologies for incorporation into tactical motor vehicles. •Protection of child custody arrangements for parents who are members of the Armed Forces deployed in support of a contingency operation. •Improvements to Department of Defense domestic violence programs. •Department of Defense recognition of spouses of members of the Armed Forces. •Department of Defense recognition of children of members of the Armed Forces. •Enhancements to the Troops-to-Teachers Program. •Fiscal year 2011 increase in military basic pay. •Improving aural protection for members of the Armed Forces. •Comprehensive policy on neurocognitive assessment by the military health care system. •Republicans blocked all of these, Why?

• Happy ThanksgivingNovember 22, 2012 - 7:42 am

Your Republican Congress: "Why?" - Because they can.

• Happy ThanksgivingNovember 22, 2012 - 7:46 am

• Happy ThanksgivingNovember 22, 2012 - 7:56 am

Eight co-sponsors of ‘audit the Fed’ bill vote against it without explanation. The bill would allow the Government Accountability Office to conduct a thorough audit of the Federal Reserve System, tremendously increasing transparency and accountability, in theory. All House Republicans voted in favor of the bill, except for New York Rep. Bob Turner. Ninety-seven Democrats — notably including the party’s House leadership — voted against the bill, and 89 Democrats voted in favor. The eight House Democrats who switched their stance on the issue without an explanation find themselves in good company, with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid also pulling off a mystifying pivot. In 2010 and 1995, Reid boasted that he had tried in vain to pass legislation to audit the Fed. The Nevada senator, however, is now refusing to bring the bill, which would fulfill his self-professed yearning, to a Senate vote. ~ http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/26/eight-co-sponsors-of-audit-the-fed-bill-vote-against-it-without-explanation/

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 8:11 am

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 35th President of the United States, was assassinated 49 years ago today

• RichardNovember 22, 2012 - 8:23 am

Pat Robertson self appointed leader of the Christian right who had his butt kicked by Col. Pete McCloskey for lying when Robertson ran for President in the 60s had this to say about the recent election; Pat Robertson claims he,’ missed Gods message about the election.’ Another great example of Republican leadership........

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 8:44 am

Gerald Ford forced to admit the Warren Report fictionalized

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 8:52 am

Where was George?

• SparkyNovember 22, 2012 - 9:00 am

It is too easy to say that the Republican House of Representatives blocked legislation on a certain subject. Of course, the Democrat Senate has done the same thing on by not even bring forward a budget among other things. The question is how many other inappropriate riders and tack-on pork were affiliated with any respective bill? It is the legislative rule set that needs an overhaul and should revert back to single vote, single subject. Only then will real accountability begin.

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 9:03 am

What do these people have in common?

• AnthonyNovember 22, 2012 - 11:00 am

cookie65, and you try letting go of the hostility that resides in your heart. Happy Thanksgiving

• prime timeNovember 22, 2012 - 11:22 am

Did Anonymous Block Karl Rove’s Attempt To Steal Election?

• James E.November 22, 2012 - 11:49 am

Richard, were you aware that Pat Robertson was a Marine. Enroute to Korea to be a platoon leader in the meat grinder of combat in Korea, he was plucked off the ship (in port in Japan or Korea? -- I don't recall which, but was last chance before combat). He was pulled off the ship and assigned as a liaison officer in Japan. Think his father was a Senator. This may be when Lt. Robertson found God, as in "Thank God my father had enough pull to get me off that ship." Must be a secure world where you can call on God to explain away every event (as he does).

• An AdmirerNovember 22, 2012 - 12:37 pm

Pat Robertson was founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network, sponsored by Rev. Sun Myung Moon (The Moonies). In the early 80s Robertson was trading guns and ammo in Nicaragua, coordinating efforts to use “operating Blessing” to help supply goods to the Contras. Robertson, according to investigative reporter Sara Diamond, used his tax-exempt broadcast license to hold a fundraising telethon in the United States for the Guatemalan military and the Nicaraguan Contras. Robertson visited contra training camps in Honduras in June 1985, where he met with top leaders of the FDN and was saluted as a guest of honor. In April 1989 Pat Robertson visited Managua to open the Nicaraguan chapter of CBN's 700 Club. Robertson's first stop was the U.S. embassy. The Executive Board of the American Coalition for Traditional Values in the past included notables Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart and Pat Robertson.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 22, 2012 - 1:41 pm

Colonel, the turkey's in the oven and football's on TV. Have a wonderful Thanks Giving.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 22, 2012 - 1:43 pm

. . . also have a wonderful Thanksgiving

• James E.November 22, 2012 - 2:11 pm

Phil, you too, also to all on the MtDemocrat site, friend or alleged foe.

• RichardNovember 22, 2012 - 2:57 pm

Colonel, I got the story first hand from Pete M. and have a copy of his book, “The Taking of Hill-610.” Within its pages the Senator Robertson’s letters are reproduced after they where found in a small Midwest library where they had accidently gotten separated from the family estate after the Senators death and eventually found there way to Pete. Pat was indeed plucked off the boat at the senators request and put in charge of the O clubs in Japan why’ll his unit went on to fight in Korea. Later during his run for the Presidency Pat claimed to be a Combat Marine which infuriated the men in that unit including Pete, the insuring peeing match ended in a 30 mil law suit filed by Robertson which he lost and ultimately cost him the presidency. Robertson’s unit went on to fight and was involved in numerous historical actions, one of which Pete was awarded NC in addition to his SS, BSs. In the Marine Corps History Div. in Virginia Pete is listed as having led this unit in more bayonet changes in the Korean War than any other Marine unit. Got to go, 13 minutes a pound didn’t work for this free range turkey……Semper Fi

• No hateNovember 22, 2012 - 3:02 pm

Richard and Anthony, I really get that it is somewhat of a rush to squabble with ignorance. I have enjoyed you both. I know you know how desperately angry these people are. When I hear some of the delusions, it is worth a head shake. No worries, the majority of this nation has decisively spoken. Let's try to have some sympathy and understand these citizens. Their party has been given, and will continue to be given enough rope to hang themselves, don't ya think?

• Richard GuentherNovember 22, 2012 - 5:10 pm

Thanks, Anthony! Don't let the kookies, 65 or not, get to you.

• DB SmithNovember 25, 2012 - 12:07 pm

Editor: There is a a guy by the name of "Richard" that is utilizing this site and not providing anything of importance to the readers. I also suspect that he is not contributing monetarily for the use of the online MD. On this thread, he admits that he will miss the online responses on the MD, thereby insinuating that he's leaving, but he has stayed and continues to disrupt others logical conversations. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I had offered to throw him a going away party but he did not accept. I think in this regard he and his wife illustrate the true example of free loading obama liberals that always want something for nothing. In the interest of being fair and balanced, could you please review the situation and make sure that these moochers are paying their fair share. If they want to play then they should have to pay.

• James E.November 25, 2012 - 12:34 pm

Mr. Smith, "disrupt others logical conversations???" Now that I've commented on that, Richard cannot be on this thread unless he is a subscriber or pays the required fee. It was possible in the past, but no longer as the MtDemocrat went to their pay to play policy. And, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving and I appreciated your offer you made to buy a turkey for the lady allegedly on food stamps. Did she collect a turkey from you?

• DB SmithNovember 25, 2012 - 12:58 pm

Colonel: Just recently got home and yes I did have a very wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope that you and yours did as well. Ruby never did get back with me about the turkey's and we know why.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment