Thank you for reading the MtDemocrat.com digital edition. In order to continue reading this story please choose one of the following options.
If you are a current subscriber and wish to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com, please select the Subscriber Verification option below. If you already have a login, please select "Login" at the lower right corner of this box.
Special Introductory Offer
For a short time we will be offering a discount to those who call us in order to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your print subscription. Our customer support team will be standing by Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to assist you.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish not to take advantage of our special introductory offer, please select the $12 monthly option below to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your online subscription
This letter is to all parents in California. Well, actually all parents in the United States.
I have written, in the past, about my own children’s district (MLUSD) and the fact that I have found no support nor have I found any help with educational matters. This now goes beyond the district. We all know and have heard about the Common Core that is coming our way. I have been told by our own superintendent that she believes 100 percent in it and it will be the best thing for our kids. When I expressed that I did not agree and that I knew how destructive it will be for our kids and families, she told me that it was going to happen anyway and there was nothing that she could do about it.
She is wrong.
Please know, parents, that teachers and administrators are in fear of their jobs. They have been told by the state and the nation, that they will either follow the Common Core, or else. Basically, if they do not do what the government tells them, they will be let go. It’s funny because the state of Indiana just passed legislation stating that they will not follow the Common Core because of how horrible it is and how it actually abuses the children. The governor is behind the kids and teachers. What a concept right? Here are some facts — yes facts — about Common Core that you need to know:
1. The “head” of the Common Core board has no educational background and stands to make millions of dollars off of Common Core.
2. The rest of the board has no education experience except for sitting on college boards.
3. Of the 130 “professionals” that they polled to look over the Common Core and approve it, none of them had any child development background — no child psychologist, no early childhood education professionals, no elementary school professionals. They were all college “type” professionals and businessman who have no educational background.
4. It has been proven that this will be damaging to children’s brains and cause undo stress, which kills off part of the brain cells that are still developing.
5. The few times that they have tried it in a school with kindergarteners, the systems did not work; kids were crying and frustrated and going home with homework that makes them meltdown and have frustrated parents.
6. It will be asking our kids to perform tasks that they are not developmentally ready for.
7. Bill and Melinda Gates have given millions of dollars to help “pass” this, and stand to make millions more, but will not allow their own kids to have anything to do with Common Core. Hmm … really? I wonder why.
8. Most teachers agree that this is a horrible thing to do to kids, but are in fear for their jobs and will not say anything.
I could go on and on. What it comes down to is that your children are no longer children, nor are they human. They are numbers, statistics, and worse yet, a dollar sign. This will not allow them to progress in learning. It will not make them smarter. It will not make them “globally competitive,” but it will lead to more stress for kids, more stress for parents, families being torn apart and stressed and more school violence.
I predict that, sadly, kids will now be pushed so far that their brains will literally snap. And of course, pharmaceutical companies love it; this means more kids put on meds because they cannot handle the stress.
I have heard teachers (that do stand up) and psychologists say that this is cognitive abuse of our children. Parents need to stand up to the districts, but more importantly, the state. Write your senator, congressmen and governor and tell them that this is not acceptable and that they will not abuse your children, because that is in fact what they are doing.
MYRA K. LOWDERT