Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Paying for a safe walk

My wife and I are retired and recently moved to Cameron Park. We enjoy walking, but for health reasons we need something on the level. We tried some of the local streets, but with no sidewalks and traffic typically speeding by at 10 to 20 mph over the speed limit, we feared for our safety.

Then someone suggested Cameron Park Lake for a pleasant 30-minute stroll. However, we have now discovered that as the weather has turned nicer we will have to pay for a safe place to walk in a town with no sidewalks. We could understand if we were using park facilities for several hours or the entire day but having to pay to go for a short walk makes us feel like we are being gouged. We even have to pay to take the grandkids to the playground for a few minutes. It just seems wrong. And, I’m sure it puts many people off from going there either because they can’t afford it or simply out of principle.

What’s next, toll roads around town and parking meters at the Community Center?

CHET BREWER
Cameron Park

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 1:56 pm

This is happening all over--not just in this county...paying for parks--it is a shame. We have sly Park--it costs us ten dollars to drive in--many of us stopped going. We live here. We played baseball in Lotus--that park wanted money...my grandson is ten.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 2:01 pm

Im sorry a friend just called --it is now $11.00 to drive in to Sly Park...and this is not staying overnight.

• Phil VeerkampMay 15, 2013 - 9:20 pm

Chet, the employees who maintain the lake expect to be paid. Use fees help.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 10:37 pm

Phil :) ummmmmmmmmm Lots of people go to sly park from other places...we would be okay with 5.00--we live here. They charge 35.00 a night--but they dont have showers--so many have been known to take sponge baths in the bathroom at safeway or subway. I offered a family once for free--until I found out they had ten people--my hot water wouldnt last that long. I know locals that if you give them a trash bag--they would also pick up trash--if it was $5.00. I was excited for Mr. Osborne when they bought it--I like him.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 10:42 pm

Phil--I also understand that they are not making tons of money yet...but still--we live here--it was $5.00--then inched its way up--same place...also the rules of no babies or dogs in the water--shouldnt that have taken care of the problems of trash (they did blame those two things) And where do the bears relieve themselves--and I dont believe the charmon ads where they use toilet paper...see what an angel you have created, I was hardly sarcastic at all.

• Phil VeerkampMay 16, 2013 - 6:53 am

Fran, thank you for the, "...but still--we live here" strategy for price negotiations. I will be using it at Placerville Hardware, Arco, Raleys and all the other EDC rip-off greedy 1%ers who have been raising prices.

• Phil VeerkampMay 16, 2013 - 6:55 am

oops! sorry . .

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 7:07 am

Phil--awwwwwwwwwww hope it works--I know it doesnt here--since many families cant afford to go to the lake any more...but kids find a way to play any way. Water hoses work. lolol remember I support EID--I know--odd right? But I really like Mr. Osborne and his wife...nice people.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 7:15 am

Placerville Hardware--isnt this one of the sacred stores? I love this store-I hear its magical--that one can ask for anything--and they will have it.

• Phil VeerkampMay 16, 2013 - 7:50 am

I absolutely LOVE Placerville Hardware. It tales me back to the '50s being with my Dad buying fence staples, screen, stove pipe . . . whatever. It is places like Placerville Hardware and the Fausels's that animate me when I read flatlanders ***** about the GOB network. Screw 'em!

• Phil VeerkampMay 16, 2013 - 7:58 am

Fran, I LOVE Placerville Hardware. It transports me back 60 years with my Dad buying staples, screen, stove pipe . . . whatever. Memories of Placerville Hardware and the Fausels are what animate me when I hear flatlander transplants whine about the so called GOBs. Pay your dues and shut up.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 8:26 am

lolololol Phil

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 8:44 am

I paid my dues--recently I just said "hello" to one of the GOB s I look at them as members in my community--I grew up around very interesting people--many GOB s from a different place. This person responded how they were just an old politician...my response--maybe so--but I respect you. People always assume they know what Im about--some are right--most are wrong. I like putting things in a box--shaking it up--and pouring it out on the table. What I have found is that there will always be something unexpected--a new pattern. When I say I like someone--I honestly do--dont be jaded Phil. Im disabled Phil--shhhhhh I dont go to the lake any more for that reason alone. Im trying to decide which politics are played meaner--LA or Here. It is interesting. Scripts are better down south. But there seems to be more experience up here. I thought the board was very nice. I spoke with the CAO Terri Daly. I spoke with the new Transportation leader. I saw ms Kerr--no one had horns. Again I was in awe of the "idea" of government process. so even if I may not agree with something--I honor that they got--some how.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 8:46 am

got ...I might even like you in person.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 16, 2013 - 8:47 am

okay this thing messed up--one more time...got there...lololol

• cookie65May 27, 2013 - 5:07 am

There is a gigantic hole in the universe. It is a vacuum for every denomination of currency known to man. It is called public sector pension and healthcare obligations.

• cookie65May 28, 2013 - 8:38 am

This is what feeding at the public trough looks like. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/labor_big_real_heavy_sleeper_jl3C7gI710FI3XqpEl5o3O

Motorcycle fatality in Greenwood

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

By Noel Stack | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 62 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 18 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3