Monday, April 21, 2014

Please help save Thanksgiving

EDITOR: Tis the Season … to try to wring the last dollar out of the “Holiday” Season (we can’t call it Christmas anymore), while having a complete disregard for quality family time. That is exactly what retailers such as Walmart, Target and others are doing this year, more than ever before.

The two retailers have moved up their Black “Friday?” openings to 8 and 9 p.m., respectively, on Thanksgiving Day. That’s correct, it is not a typo. It is not Black Friday any more. The unstoppable greed monster is taking over Thanksgiving. The concept of Christmas has become so corrupted that it is now simply a “Holiday” Season that exists for the sole purpose of extracting as much money as possible out of the pockets of the American public, and now at the expense of another great American tradition and holiday, Thanksgiving.

I guess it shouldn’t surprise us that retailers would be so willing to trample on one of the last sacred holidays. After all, Thanksgiving serves virtually no commercial purpose, other than for some additional sales of food and beverage items. Why not go ahead and sacrifice it in the interest of more profits? Now some might say that this is no big deal. If you don’t like the idea just don’t shop on Thanksgiving.

However, it is not as simple as that. Left unchecked, the actions of these corporations will have a long-term negative impact on each and every one of us. Something very wrong fundamentally occurs as a result of the implementation of these sorts of business practices, once they become commonplace with most other retailers. Imagine how disruptive it will be to the family tradition to have family members who must dash off in the early afternoon so they can make it to work in time to finish preparations for the big sale.

In addition, many family celebrations will be dissolved by the early departure of family members lured away by the prospect of saving money by being the first ones through the doors. In fact, we can be sure that there will likely be scores of people who will opt to not participate at all in a Thanksgiving celebration, instead they will be spending the entire Thanksgiving Day camped out in the line that will stretch around the buildings, just so they can save some money on some stuff that no one really needs.

This really says a lot about how hollow our country is becoming. To begin with, those in positions of corporate leadership have become so consumed with greed that they have no shame in tearing at the very fabric of a truly sacred American holiday. In addition, the fact that there will be shoppers lined up at the doors on Thanksgiving evening, rather than enjoying quiet time with their families, points to a society that is obsessed with materialism to the point of self-destruction. Make no mistake about it. What we are witnessing is the self-destruction of our American society.

For generations Thanksgiving has been a time for families to gather and give thanks for our many blessings and enjoy each other’s company, without the pressure of purchasing gifts, putting on costumes, etc. It seems we are now willing to trade that tradition for trinkets and baubles made in China. If you are one of the Thanksgiving Day shoppers you will share equally with the greedy corporate decision makers in the responsibility for the destruction of our society. Think about it, a society that has no traditions and holds nothing sacred is not a society at all. It is just a bunch of self-interested people who happen to live within the same borders. Such a country that lacks a strong social fabric will not last.

I can guarantee you that I won’t be shopping on Thanksgiving Day.

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving.

CARY LANE
El Dorado Hills

• DarrinNovember 15, 2012 - 8:50 pm

Cary, I agree with you. I can guarantee you that I won’t be shopping on Thanksgiving Day, either! I posted this on Facebook. Hopefully others will get the word out too. Happy Thanksgiving!

• AuntieNovember 16, 2012 - 5:36 am

I totally agree. Family and family time are no longer thought of as a priority. A friend of mine remarked that they had a Soccer Match on "Mother's Day". Perhaps we need to realize that the most bitter tears shed are for words unsaid and deeds undone. The human beings in your life are irreplaceble.

• AnthonyNovember 19, 2012 - 8:13 am

Very large companies desiring very large profits spend millions of dollars in advertising to convince us that our lives will be incomplete if we do not own the latest blinking,beeping electronic gadget. Never mind the fact that we spent hundreds of dollars on a previous version of the same gadget, 6 months ago. It is free enterprise capitalism where nothing matters more than making money. Some people tell us that free enterprise and the private sector are the solution to all of America's problems. Apparently, free enterprise causes a few problems as well.

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 10:39 am

Anthony ~ Just wondering how your capitalist gadgets are doing these days. I'll bet you have one or more of those capitalist Apple kinda of gadgets and they would be nothing close to the quality Obama gives free to the free loaders. I've noticed that you keep bragging about owning two homes. Capitalism seems to have treated even a liberal braggart hypocrite pretty well. Did anyone force you to buy your toys? In another post you mentioned something about your girl Hilary Clingon in 2017. You should learn how to spell Monica Lewinsky's & Paula Jones' (thanks Ken) ex-boyfriends wife's name before you post it. You know I can almost forgive you for giving Obama a vote in 08 but I certainly cannot forgive you for voting for that idiot again. Have a wonderful capitalist day in one of your two homes in conservative El Dorado County.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 10:50 am

Has anyone else noticed that General Smith's comments seem to be written by a fifth grader? Shouldn't there be a rule that if one puts their name to a comment, the comment must be written by an adult? General, you seem to be fixated on Bill's lady friends -- Bill isn't running in 2016. Do you really think the vote for Hillary in 2016 is going to be influenced by Bill's indiscretions? Well, true of Tea/Republican voters of course. None others. General, now think for a moment before you reply in a manner that will prove your rebuttal comment has been written by a fifth grader.

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 10:58 am

Longhopper ~ Are you trying to infringe on my right of free speech? What a low budget punk! At least you know how to spell hillary. Your wrong that bill wouldn't be running in 2016 because he would be running for Mr. "First Bi*ch".

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 11:05 am

Before you get a chance to correct me Longhopper, Yes I did a couple of typos. It should of been "you're" instead of "your" and a "t" instead of a "*". Sorry...

• CatherineNovember 19, 2012 - 11:31 am

An angry fifth grader, yes, and I'm not talking about typos. I'm surprised the MD hasn't hired him to write opinion pieces.

• CatherineNovember 19, 2012 - 11:36 am

Regarding the letter, each of us makes choices every day to give money to these types of corporations or not. It's easy to just exclude Target, Walmart, etc. from your life. I hope your letter encourages more people to do so. Happy Thanksgiving!

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 11:46 am

Why I'm not angry Catherine. You've never seen me angry. But I do get a little upset when people entertain the thought of another Clingon president. It doesn't bother you that president Slick Willy looked American right in the eyes and lied? And you would consider putting him back in the White House. I wouldn't care who he spreads his legs or cheeks for as long as he or his wife stay out of the White House. She obviously can't control him so how can she be expected to control and lead a nation? No shame or morals for your kind.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 11:47 am

General Smith, it's not the typos. Everyone makes typos, although I try to immediately correct mine. It's much deeper than typos -- much deeper.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 11:51 am

General, let's use your latest as an example: Clingon, Slick Willy, spreads his legs or cheeks, she obviously can't control him (women control their husbands?), no shame or morals. Fifth grade stuff all the way.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 11:53 am

ADDED: Put him back in the White House? Continuing confusion that Bill is running in 2016.

• CatherineNovember 19, 2012 - 11:58 am

The only person having a discussion of the Clintons is you, Mr. Smith. A form of self-arousal? Wishing you a family-focused, non-commercial holiday season, as the letter writer suggests.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 12:04 pm

ADDED: Low budget punk, Mr. First B****.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 12:08 pm

ADDED: Low budget punk, Mr. First (female dog). MD doesn't allow the B word -- wonder if they do so while one describes a female dog? Guess fifth graders think the spouse runs for president. Think that's covered in the sixth grade.

• James E.November 19, 2012 - 12:21 pm

I'm so exhausted from commenting on the fifth grader that I'll have to take a break. Back later.

• AnthonyNovember 19, 2012 - 4:26 pm

DB Smith, I am not bragging about anything. When people cease making inaccurate generalizations about people who supported the President being moochers looking for a handout, I will be quite happy to stop pointing out just how inaccurate those idiotic generalizations happen to be. Furthermore, in the holiday spirit, you have my forgiveness as well for voting for whatever idiot you preferred for President. Incidentally, the President is not giving away any gadgets, but don't let facts get in the way of your opinions. The President' critics seldom do anyway.

• AnthonyNovember 19, 2012 - 4:44 pm

DB Smith, as far as my alleged hypocrisy, I have no idea what you are talking about. I was simply pointing out the root cause of the issue addressed in the letter from Cary Lane. If you think that the holiday emphasis on materialism mentioned in the letter is attributable to something other than capitalism, enlighten us.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 19, 2012 - 5:01 pm

Anthony, got kids?

• AnthonyNovember 19, 2012 - 5:15 pm

Phil Veerkamp, no children. Many nieces, and nephews, and 2nd cousins, but no children of my own.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 19, 2012 - 8:47 pm

Anthony, I suggest you consider adding at least one more layer of complexity to your materialism model. As a great grandfather it is my personal testimony verifying the exquisite pleasure attached to the moment when your son, granddaughter, great grandson tears off the wrappings to the XBOX the Barbie the xyz doodad. Your model of materialism is trite, lazy and boring. I give thanks for my ability to indulge my selfish motives.

• DB SmithNovember 19, 2012 - 9:15 pm

Phil, I'm a great grandfather as well. I so much enjoy my son, daughter, 5 grandsons, granddaughter and very young great grandson. I've yet to enjoy seeing the great grandson partake in wrapping paper but it should happen very soon. I know what your talking about. Cheers.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 19, 2012 - 9:26 pm

YESSS!!! THANK YOU, DB

• cookie65November 20, 2012 - 7:34 am

I would like to say this as delicately as possible. GET A CLUE!!! If a private business wants to be open that is their business. You can't blame the smut rags you see in the grocery store checkout line for the stuff they print, you have to blame the people who buy them. If people are so materialistic that they would rather be shopping than spending time with family that is not the fault of the business's. We are a nation of instant gratification and getting worse. We just re-elected a president on the basis that he will create a shortcut for those who don't have any desire to do what their parents and grandparents did. Work for and earn what they have. It isn't about greed, it is about people with big holes inside trying to fill them with junk. There are already people camped out to get some of that junk. Most business's depend on the revenue created by the holidays in order to keep people employed for the rest of the year. With all the business's closing under obama's leadership you should be thankful that some are doing what they can to combat the downfall of prosperity.

• Ken SteersNovember 20, 2012 - 11:39 am

Phil, DB, and Cookie, I just became a Grandfather by my oldest daughter who happens to be adopted. I'm getting ready to go golfing with her husband, born in Mexico, and my oldest son, adopted who was born in the Philippines. We are going to have a major change on Thanksgiving because another young man who we raised Brad is playing basketball on ESPN at 1:30, so no football while he's on. I'll have over 40 for dinner, always starts at 2. My point is I'm thankful for all those who touch my life and I'm able to call family. I am truly blessed

• Phil VeerkampNovember 20, 2012 - 11:52 am

CONGRATULATIONS, Ken! May the circle be unbroken . . .

• Kirk MacKenzieNovember 20, 2012 - 11:53 am

Ken -- Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Being grandparents has been pure joy for my wife and I.

• Ken SteersNovember 20, 2012 - 1:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

• EvelynNovember 20, 2012 - 2:47 pm

I first found the following as a Fox News item. But not wanting to be inflammatory , I looked for it elsewhere. Herewith! ********** 350,000 "SAVE THANKSGIVING" SIGNATURES DELIVERED TO TARGET HEADQUARTERS: “Target's decision to open their doors on Thanksgiving Day for Black Friday is garnering protest from customers nationwide.” @ http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/home/350000-Save-Thanksgiving-Signatures-Delivered-to-Target-Headquarters-179993111.html

• cookie65November 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm

Congratulations Ken, Nothing can replace spending time with family and friends. There is an old movie with Jimmy Stewart and Lionel Barrymore called "You Can't Take it With You". I just attended the funeral of an uncle who drove a tank for Gen. George S. Patton and crossed the Rhine with him. I have amazing memories of him that no best buy sale can ever replace.

• DB SmithNovember 21, 2012 - 12:59 pm

How to Cook a Turkey: 1.Go buy a turkey 2.Take a drink of whiskey 3. Put turkey in the oven 4. Take another 2 drinks of whiskey 5. Set the oven at 375* 6. Take 3 more whiskeys of drink 7. Turk the bastey 8. Whiskey another bottle of get 9. Ponder the meat thermometer 10. Glass yourself a pour of whiskey 11. Bake the whiskey for 4 hours 12. Take the oven out of the turkey 13. Floor the turkey up off of the pick 14. Turk the carvey 15. Get yourself another scottle of botch 16. Tet the sable and pour yourself a glass of turkey 17. Bless the dinner and pass out... Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

• EvelynNovember 21, 2012 - 1:46 pm

DB: Excellent!!!

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 12 Comments

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4, 1 Comment | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10