Friday, April 18, 2014

Pollock Pines politics

No doubt I will regret writing this, however I am compelled to say that after being a business owner the past two years in Pollock Pines, I can see for myself how the politics has almost ruined the businesses in town rather than helped them.

I was excited two years ago. I had drive and ambition and I still do, but not because of any business help from CEDAPP. It seems you must be in the loop. Good, honest hard work, 70-hour weeks of doing things exactly as you know a business should be run, gets you nowhere with CEDAPP. I took a run down shopping center and tried to bring it to life. I tried to involve Jeannie Harper for some trees on Sanders to beautify the center and make the area more pleasant, but none of the businesses here want to get involved. They all wanted to in the beginning but got burned out because of the politics.

You see, my business is booming, because I offer an excellent product, at an excellent price, in an excellently clean and beautiful surrounding. I spent over $40,000 to get it this way. I offer excellent customer service and Jeannie would know that had she visited my business at least once while she was doing her big customer service gig of which I got over 300 votes but not even an honorable mention at her big dinner. Of course the people in the loop were honored. That was my last time to have anything to do with Jeannie.

I am not good at politics. It got me fired from a big corporate job. You see, I do my business the old fashioned way, by just being honest and friendly — offering great service, excellent customer service and a price that real people are finding a great community bonus. I work all the time and I’m sorry I just don’t have time to hob nob. It’s my business, I can’t afford a social life…

And just one more thing before I’m done. The businesses in the Sanders/Pony Express Trail center and area are struggling to stay alive. Our bowling alley needs you, our liquor store needs you, our restaurant needs you. We have the only barber shop in town and Sportsmans has new food and new owners at great prices. Does anyone know that?

Support them or there will be nothing left here and no new business here. With gas prices and our world in such a mess, safe in town at home is where I will shop.

PATTY BECKER
Pollock Pines

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 6:52 am

Thank you Patty...thank you for coming forward. People are reading these blogs.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 7:02 am

come to our meeting tonight--see who is there. People are slowly coming forward...be sure you know what you are supporting.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 7:04 am

Patty my number 6444072--let me know if any one gives you a hard time.

• EvelynMay 15, 2013 - 8:19 am

Patty, you're one AMAZING lady. For anyone wanting to read about her story: HERE

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 8:22 am

Lets see which groups are supporting Harper...well the Dog Wood club (big supporter) , Becky (library--oh wait the whole El Dorado county library system), Z-Group...only certain members? (still waiting for an apology from Ms. Green on her letter--since I am disabled) Maybe we should start naming individuals--Ill have to check with the "niceness" def. on this. people...maybe they didnt know what they were supporting...and all those outside companies--do those people at Wells Fargo know that she has been supporting "select "people? I wonder if grants say "select" or whole communities? I imagine someone will write a letter against this one--however at some point--people will wake up...and I will be there.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 8:28 am

Ms. Beaker has also given "free' haircuts to people who volunteer at the senior lunches...served at the Pollock Pines Camino Community Center. She also has a wonderful garden behind her shop for people to just come in a sit/or read a book. She is to the right of the entrance of our community center.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 8:32 am

Evelyn, WONDERFUL link on Patty.

• EvelynMay 15, 2013 - 8:37 am

One of my biggest concerns with EDC's designed and promoted Economic Development is its potential to totally obliterate entrepreneurial spirit such as Patty's. Not part of the "Program"? OUT.

• EvelynMay 15, 2013 - 8:40 am

Fran: Yes, it is a wonderful link. People really should read her story. Truly inspirational. If I were closer to Pollock Pines she certainly would have my patronage. She's a breath of fresh air.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 8:46 am

Evelyn--this is not new at Harpers awards meetings--I only went once. There were many nominees who should have won--and did not. People who the community really didnt know took most of the awards--Dogwood Club--Library (under Becky--who is also Dogwood club) Just a few deserving people--who have been around for awhile won that night. I believe Burger Barn has won twice in a row...this is two letters written by the true residents...Harper and friends are falling. I wan to see which "leaders step away form the problem--CEDAPP.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 8:48 am

lololol...spelling--ouch...maybe Harper can write a grant for me to get the Dragon Program?

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 11:42 am

This letter and Evelyns link is moving fast :)

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 1:53 pm

I just went to this shopping area...it is truly the "heart" of our space--many forget that there is more beyond the fire station. Come to our meeting tonight at 6...should be fun. I invite everyone--you do not have to live here to see our meetings...remember we are the poster meetings--come play.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 4:53 pm

Why is there this video on 'community capacity building' on the Community Economic Development Association of Pollock Pines. http://www.cedapp.biz/ It's a doom and gloom profile of a Ottawa area that is packed with crime and poverty. The producer is Abid Jan from Ottawa, Canada.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 4:53 pm

http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/abid-jan/21/96/658 these are sustainability people.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 4:54 pm

http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelwardhighbarglobal Mr. Ward...

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 4:57 pm

Come to our meeting tonight...Pollock Pines Camino Community Center at 6 pm

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 5:01 pm

Ms Harper does not represent our place--she does not understand the word community at all.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 9:40 pm

well--interesting meeting...Harper was not there--But Ken took pictures of everything for her--and many of the people were CEDAPP. All in all--I hope they listen to the warnings--and realize what they are getting into. Spending money on foolish ideas...well bankrupt our economy more. We sat in that room and voted about giving business to chamber and that health and safety belonged to Police and medical officials--this was a while ago--before these meetings.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 15, 2013 - 9:41 pm

will bankrupt

• CherylMay 17, 2013 - 6:52 am

So the person running CEDAPP, Jeanne Harper, has never visited your business? That is shameful, she should have a working relationship with every business owner in Pollock Pines. Isn't it always the way that the suck-ups get the attention and the truly hard workers get over-looked because they are too busy working hard? Don't let them crush your spirit. And no, I didn't know about the Sportmen's Lodge new menu and new owners, nothing in the so called "newspaper".

• cookie65May 17, 2013 - 8:23 am

Your letter truly NAILS the issue. We are being led, governed and represented by "it is all about me" individuals. Self-centered, narcissistic, ego-maniacs. They go where the crowd fawns over them and warms their seat with their faces. They have to seek phony praise and adoration within tight circles because they have nothing to do with the livelihood of a small community like Pollock Pines, You Do. You Don't Need Them. They are a wart on the buttocks of the community. You exemplify what it takes to make keep a local economy alive, hard work. They represent what you get after the work is done, someone running around trying to take the credit for it.

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 5:26 pm

memory lane...CEDAPP (Harper has not been very nice) Please reread the article...because someone very brave spoke up..

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15