Postured for success

The room at the Pollock Pines-Camino Community Center was once again packed last night for the fourth meeting since December as business owners, residents and organizational leaders shared ideas on how to come together in a mutually satisfactory manner for the good of the whole of Pollock Pines.

One gentleman who had not been at the other three meetings asked the question that had been asked at all of the other meetings, “I moved here because I like it the way it is. Why are you trying to change it?”

Before Supervisor Norma Santiago could respond, another business owner replied, “Change is happening every day. Pollock Pines is no longer what it was 10 years ago (many people chimed in their assent) and if we do nothing to keep it maintained and ‘glorious,’ it will become a ghost town.”

Another business owner replied, “I’m afraid that in a few more years, our schools will not be able to remain open. When my daughter was in Pinewood Elementary, there were 1,300 students in the district; now I think there are only around 700.”

And yet another young mom who had lived in Pollock Pines as a kid, but who had moved away and has recently returned with a husband and a baby clearly stated how much the town has changed since she was a kid growing up here. She said she painted the community to her husband from her wonderful memories and he is seeing the community in an entirely different way; her concern is for the numbers of people (young and old) that she sees using drugs and that definitely needs to be changed. And so the comments continued as Supervisor Santiago continued to invite the audience to share their thoughts and feelings about the community we all love. The “need for change” became one of ways to keep our community the way we love it as opposed to changing it into something we don’t want.

When it was clear that change can mean good things happen, it came time to decide how and who to help make those things happen. The how is through the creation of a Community Advisory Council (CAC) that will be an information-gathering group of self-selected community people from various interest groups (community-selected) within the community. The CAC will report directly to the Board of Supervisors. It will not be a “policing” agency; it will not have enforcement capabilities, but it will have the ears of all of the supervisors. The critical piece is that it will be a broad-based group of people representing specific areas as outlined last night by the community, i.e. seniors, schools and youth, businesses, residents (homeowner associations and mobile home parks included), safety, etc.

Supervisor Santiago will be sending out notifications to the entire community via press releases and e-mails to attendees to ensure that every avenue of communication has been used. Service organizations will also distribute e-mails, and information for applications to the CAC will be on the Safeway Marquee. Interested businesses will keep notifications in their shops, as well. Word of mouth will be an important factor as the special interest groups self-select their representative on Wednesday, May 15 at 6 p.m. at the Pollock Pines-Camino Community Center.

Pollock Pines is postured for success.

JEANNE HARPER
CEDAPP

• residentApril 10, 2013 - 11:03 am

Jeanne Harper, for all the words about CACs and change we still don't know what postured for success means. Maybe your next letter will tell us.

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 12:37 pm

Less than 1% go to these meetings...I go. I insisted on people not being on any other board while on this board--someone said then we miss "key" people. Right--it will not be slanted at all. You are the "friend" as long as you play. I dont--Im not a friend. When it all falls apart--I will be there. Harper brought this to our community. She wants a civic center--we have a community center. She wants a 80,000 dollar statue on highway 50. I would like to see less people standing in the bread lines. Her group has already said they dont want a store to come in--and it hasnt even gotten here yet. Another from her group--well if the wont paint--we will make them. This is about sustainability--agenda 21--whatever. The general plan is just that a plan. Throughout history--variations of these "visioning s" have happened. The 19-30 age group is not even there. (Business is watching that group.) In this paper we saw what they think is high "art" --if you missed it--its still there. These people are caught up in "look what I did" and being cuddled. As far as getting the word out there--it is out there...either they are just tired of these meetings. Or they do not like CEDAPP...and very few understand the Dogwood Club (because they bounce all over.)

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 12:40 pm

I like how NONE of the "negative" questions are listed--because I know I asked them...lololol

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 12:50 pm

"Word of mouth will be an important factor as the special interest groups self-select their representatives..." Harper--not everyone is in a group--dont they count? Community...I believe this means people who are outside of the "key" people as well. lolololol this whole thing...is amazing to me. Yes their are grants out there. I do not support these councils. But it will be fun to watch them. All meetings must be open to the public. As we watch other places go bankrupt (and they had these advisory boards)hopefully someone will wake up and say...maybe this isnt a good idea.

• francescaduchamp@att.netApril 10, 2013 - 1:03 pm

global resorts...posturing for success http://youtu.be/87-tLaUlEIg I like where it repeats--you are not lying

• EvelynMay 08, 2013 - 5:23 pm

COMMUNITY I.D. PROCESS: On 4/30/3013 Sue Taylor asked the County: a) What will be the rules and regulations the Committee will be functioning under and by what authority? and b) What are the boundary lines of land that this committee will have authority over? The County’s answer: “. . . General Plan Policy 2.4.1.2. directs the County, in coordination with the residents, to develop community design guidelines for the commercial and multifamily land uses of each community identified in General Plan Policy 2.1.1.1 (Community Regions) and 2.1.2.1 (Rural Centers). Community I.D. does not change allowable uses. It only relates to the design and form of structures on commercial and multifamily lands.”

• EvelynMay 08, 2013 - 5:26 pm

Video: BOS meeting 5/7/2013. Sue Taylor on Community I.D. process. Go to 01:34:00 HERE

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 5:53 pm

memory lane- Harper has and still lies to this community...we voted on town meetings...yet she still calls people--we have a neutral coordinator...Santiago herself agreed to our town meetings...Harper--do you think you have more power than Santiago?

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 6:04 pm

Fran, maybe you could ask Ms. Santiago to ask Ms. Harper what is her legal authority to speak for the citizens of Pollock Pines. A direct question of "what is your authority" is often revealing. What is CEDAPP? Where did it come from? Is it an invention of Ms. Harper that just appeared?

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 6:19 pm

Fran, I see from several of the comments that you are an undercover operative for Nutting. And, your home is obviously a safe house where Ray can hide should he need it. Here all this time I just thought you were a nice lady who cared about her town and liked beans and franks. I bet you wear a trench coat and sunglasses (even at night). Speaking of trench coats, I was going through one of the closets in a back bedroom recently and came across my trench coat -- which I purchased in London. Really nice, but all I wear now is jeans, LLBean t-shirts, and LLBean loafers, so it will have to go to my son someday. I was lamenting to my wife just yesterday that I don't have any good clothing (except one suit for funerals). She said the reason was that old guys suited up by LLBean, really don't need nice clothes anymore. A wise wife.

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 6:23 pm

I've been thinking of my suggestion of 15 minutes Green, 2 minutes Red, and then repeat and repeat, for the Sunday traffic jam on Hwy50. At 40 miles an hour, a bunch of cars could get through Placerville in 15 minutes. Mt. Democrat, you monitor this thread, so give my suggestion to City Hall. Free, no consulting fee desired.

• EvelynAugust 14, 2013 - 6:28 pm

James: THIS is CEDAPP. (Scroll down a bit for Jeanne Harper.) CEDAPP was formed in 2006, the same year the County started up its EDAC (now CEDAC) group: "Economic Development Advisory Committee". Jeanne Harper's "authority" (I won't attach the word "legal") arises from CEDAPP's association with CEDAC. CEDAC is rewriting much of the County's General Plan. Together with Kim Kerr they are working on LUPPU (Land Use Programatic Update). It's about regulating land use, what we can do with our property and where we can do it. ********** Anyone from CEDAC or CEDAPP is welcome to jump in and flesh out the above simple explanation.

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 6:30 pm

lololol...James...Im not sure about "nice"--but I do love beans and franks--since I live in a mansion...I can afford them now--where I couldnt before. I love the LLBean clothes...they were not part of my deal--I only get the mansion and the sports car...and it is only a model...I could sit on it--not in it. tomorrow I am taking a friend to Cameron Park...I hoping he will understand that I must make a stop to find beanie weenies. As far as Harper--she is really messing up--she is now backing a person--who has made many people unhappy...she may have crossed a line with this one. I will have to wait and see...come to our meeting on the 26th...It will be interesting...normally she comes late--hugs the "important" people (reminds me of tagging...marking a territory) and last meeting left early. Im going to take a break--I have a safe house to run ...lolololol...thank you for making me smile kind person...gentle bow.

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 6:32 pm

Evelyn, together with Kim Kerr -- should that make me feel good or nervous?

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 6:36 pm

Fran, in the SaveMart on the west side of Placerville, across the road from the Safeway. In the canned bean section on the top shelf. Remember, it's very concentrated to keep soldiers in combat going.

• EvelynAugust 14, 2013 - 6:37 pm

James: I couldn't venture to profess to know the answer to your trick question!!! But, to change the subject, I've seen Fran at meetings and can confirm something that someone somewhere said earlier about the "well off" thing. (Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to see if that's an accurate quote.) She was dripping with diamonds and rubies and probably owns Pollock Pines lock stock and barrel.

• EvelynAugust 14, 2013 - 6:45 pm

But about your KK question, James: Someone recently separated -- voluntarily -- from County employment reports that KK is the most important person in the whole show.

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 6:55 pm

Thanks James. Miss Evelyn (waving hello)--I had to sell the barrel--so that I could buy beanie weenies tomorrow. James I do not go to Placerville often any more...is this place in the Kmart area? Im saving the diamonds and rubies--in case I really like the beanie weenies...I may want more. I cant believe I never even heard of them--everyone I know has eaten them at some point. See that is what happens when you only eat lobster and steak all the time...you miss out on the fun stuff. Oscar Meyers came out with a new hot dog....it has bacon flavor....I love bacon--I love hot dogs...the new product did not do anything justice...the dog didnt even like them. People need to stop mixing things. Nathans hot dogs are still my favorite....but Id have to sell the mansion to buy them...lolol....now im hungry.

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 7:03 pm

Fran, SaveMart is right next to KMart.

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 7:04 pm

Thank you James.

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 7:08 pm

Fran, my little Chihuahua Fernando, sadly passed away these past five years from kidney failure, knew what he liked and didn't like. He liked Kraft American cheese slices. Once, I brought another brand and he turned up his nose and looked at me with a look of what are you trying to pull. He would eat only Kraft. I miss him. We were together 24/7 for almost seven years. My little pal.

• James E.August 14, 2013 - 7:12 pm

A flawless red ruby is much more expensive than diamonds.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment