President’s re-election

Now that the elections are over, I would like to offer some advice for those of you who wrote to the Mountain Democrat and predicted that the United States would disintegrate if the President were to be re-elected.

Sit back, relax, sip some tea but keep your AK-47 handy to fight off those Italians who are going to invade the United States as you predicted under Agenda 21. Also, under Obamacare, make an appointment for your free colonoscopy enabling your doctor to help you locate your hat.

HARRY N. ZELINKA
Diamond Springs

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 12:22 am

I would direct my remarks to the people who insisted that not only would Mr. Romney win, he would do so with 300+ Electoral College votes. They made these predictions despite the fact that not a single reputable poll put him anywhere near that total. Instead they said the polls were skewed and put their faith in the utter fiction of a fraudster offering "unskewed" polls which told them exactly what they wanted to hear. The other point I would make is that this nonsense about the "takers" being responsible for reelecting the President has got to stop. I voted for the President in 2008 and again in 2012. I have a job, I pay taxes, I own two homes. I have as much stake in our economic recovery as anyone. Idiotic stereotypes about "Obamaphone" ladies, rants about "socialism", and generalizations that we Democrats are nothing more than bunch of slackers looking for a handout, accomplish nothing other than identifying the people who make such comments, as the people who are to be ignored in serious debates about the best course for the future of our republic.

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 12:25 am

Forgot to mention, I am a gun owner. No one wants to take your guns away. So you can discard that stereotype too.

• John SavageNovember 09, 2012 - 6:32 am

I hope the Republican Party wakes up and smells the coffee and becomes more inclusive and less hateful. We need a vibrant two-party system and if the GOP stays on the path they're on they will go the way of the Whigs. Just look at California if you want a glimpse of the Republicans' future.

• DarrinNovember 09, 2012 - 7:03 am

John, you are exactly right about getting along. A start would be campaign ads that tout what the candidate stands for and will do. Not what the other guy didn't... The way the Repubs voted down every bill just because the Dems brought it forward is absurd. The American people should be up in arms over the BILLIONS wasted paying salaries to these buffoons (On both sides). Also, as a side note, I do think Mitch McConnell needs to be voted out in 2014 for his stupidity.

• RichardNovember 09, 2012 - 7:25 am

What the Republicans says about it selves: “The Republican Party membership has now dropped below 30% in the Golden State, marking a further decline in the party’s statewide strength and affecting the prospects of Republican victories in future years. Understanding what is, and what isn’t, contributing to this development is important so Republican candidates, and more importantly, elected officials, can make increasingly necessary adjustments. Misdiagnosing the problem risks sending precious resources off in the wrong direction. First, let’s recognize that party registration follows party self-identification. People register with the party with whom they identify”. Judging by the hundreds of Republican comments posted over the last couple of days no wonder they have membership problems.

• CatherineNovember 09, 2012 - 7:41 am

Laughing...!

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 7:50 am

I was trying to read all these comments but all I got out of it was 'Baaaaa baaaa baaa'.. Then I realized they were written by sheep awaiting to be fleeced...again.

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 7:56 am

Thomas Gibney. The President was reelected. His birth certificate is not a fake. The polls were not skewed. Get over it.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 8:07 am

Anthony I did not say any of that did I?? His ideology andpolicies are what will hurt this country along with his ability to spend us into further bankruptcy. Try this. If you put a frog in a pot of boiling water. he will try to jump out quickly. If you put him in a pot of cold water and then slowly heat it up...he will be dying and not know it. Although in Obamas case the pot of water he has put us in is about to get alot hotter....

• speaking of colonoscopies . . .November 09, 2012 - 8:09 am

• You know, in Arkansas, we're now legally married. • You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?

• PSNovember 09, 2012 - 8:14 am

PATIENTS WHO HAD THIS PROCEDURE ALSO RECOMMENDED • A root canal; • An IRS audit; • Going through airport security.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 8:53 am

Here ya go, Here is an example of the confidence companies have in another 4 years Obama.... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/how-many-businesses-have-announced-closings-or-lay-offs-since-obama-won-a-second-term/

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 9:33 am

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 9:52 am

just for kicks...and it's only 3 days after the election It's just a matter of time... http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/11/08/obama_administration_partners_with_the_un_to_attack_the_second_amendment

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 9:57 am

Thomas Gibney conservative pundit David Frum said today that one of the reasons for the problems in the GOP is the conservative media entertainment complex which does not tell its audience the truth. With that thought in mind, I decided to dig down and research just one of the companies allegedly laying off people due to the President's reelection. The layoffs at Research in Motion were announced last June. I would have thought that the fiasco with skewed polling would make conservatives a bit more cautious when they come across information telling them exactly what they want to hear. I assume you have a link which shows that none of these layoffs would have happened if Mr. Romney had been elected. Here is my link showing that they most certainly would have happened, regardless of the outcome on election day. also, for some context on the credibility of your sources, I include their electoral prediction http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2012/11/05/prediction-romney-scores-a-decisive-win/ PREDICTION: ROMNEY SCORES A DECISIVE WIN . . . http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/11/08/research-in-motion-cuts-jobs-at-irving-headquarters/ Now, Blackberry’s maker, Research in Motion, whose U.S. headquarters is based in Las Colinas, is carrying out layoffs announced last June. The company says employees are losing their jobs, but won’t confirm it let 200 people go. Economic experts, like SMU professor Mike Davis, say the layoffs aren’t due to a troubled economy.

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 10:02 am

The Research in Motion layoffs were announced last June. Had nothing to do with the results of the election. I see that the skewed poll crowd has not learned a thing. Citing sources that predicted a Romney landslide. Clearly, people will believe whatever they want, even when facts contradict those beliefs. TheBlaze predicting a Romney landslide comes to mind. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/11/08/research-in-motion-cuts-jobs-at-irving-headquarters/ Now, Blackberry’s maker, Research in Motion, whose U.S. headquarters is based in Las Colinas, is carrying out layoffs announced last June. The company says employees are losing their jobs, but won’t confirm it let 200 people go. Economic experts, like SMU professor Mike Davis, say the layoffs aren’t due to a troubled economy.

• Thomas GibneyNovember 09, 2012 - 10:14 am

......I am sure Ruger, SMith& Wesson and other gun companys will be hiring though hehe, glad I bought stock them :) moving right along....

• Ken SteersNovember 09, 2012 - 10:54 am

I've watched the Chris Matthews show every night this week as my penance for being a non-believer. I chill ran up my leg

• John SavageNovember 09, 2012 - 10:54 am

Judging from the comments I'm seeing the Fox viewers on this site haven't learned anything. Go ahead keeping going further right and further white and the Republican party will be something only found in history books. You need to wake up and crawl out of your Fox Box.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 09, 2012 - 11:18 am

Ken, I'm in awe of your fortitude. I can not approach your achievement. I can't say I'm envious. But I am impressed - tingly even.

• Ken SteersNovember 09, 2012 - 12:14 pm

Phil, You are distracting this non-believer. The far wiser and blessed than I, Mr. Savage is giving a warning from the all mighty Democrat temple. They won the election so in correlation they have now achieved complete enlightenment. The government is good. White Christians are bad. Embrace the wrath that is the Eldorado County Democrat Party. All shall love them and despair.

• DeeNovember 09, 2012 - 2:21 pm

I am amazed at your concern about the Republican Party. The only good thing is one party rule-Democrats. Now try to be gracious winners and let us old, white Republicans pretend that standing for principles means something and we will continue to pay for the for the cost of government until we die or go broke. You only have a few more election cycles.

• cookie65November 10, 2012 - 3:32 am

The GOP should just vote 'present' on everything the left wants from here on out and in a few years from now we can rebuild from the rubble. Give them everything they want and let them own it. They are determined to undo this great nation, sooner is better than later. Don't worry about the suffering of the masses it has always been a part of liberalism.

• prime timeNovember 10, 2012 - 8:31 am

Rats Jumping Ship: High Profile Gangsters Clinton, Holder & Petraeus Leaving Obama

• prime timeNovember 10, 2012 - 8:34 am

Obama Forms New Gang

• prime timeNovember 10, 2012 - 8:39 am

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare

• James E.November 10, 2012 - 10:17 am

Papa John should just raise the price of his pizza 25 cents, and then he could stop b****ing about the President.

• James E.November 10, 2012 - 10:20 am

Papa John should raise the price of his pizza 25 cents, and then he could stop complaining about the President.

• prime timeNovember 10, 2012 - 11:12 am

Is The 29 Hour Work Week Coming As Employers Seek To Escape The Obamacare Mandate?

• cookie65November 11, 2012 - 4:47 am

James E, if papa johns raised their prices to keep up with government penalties for running a business you would accuse them of being greedy capitalists. Have you seen all the major corporations that announced massive layoffs less than 48 hours after the election? They know what is coming even if the enlightened individuals such as yourself don't.

• Jesus H ChristNovember 11, 2012 - 9:20 am

If you Teapublicans do not want a colonoscopy you could just have a glass belly button installed in order to get a better view of what really is going on in the world.

• AnthonyNovember 11, 2012 - 9:55 am

cookie65 yes I have seen a few CEO's, confident of a "Romney landslide" now claiming that they have no choice but to lay off people due to what may be coming. predictions from people who were so completely wrong should be taken with a truckload of salt. of course, none of them have opened their books for any objective review of exactly what policies cost them more on November 7 than they did on November 5. my personal opinion is that these people are simply making cheap political points playing with the livelihoods of working class people. they spent millions of dollars contributing to pro Romney right wing PAC's and got absolutely nothing for it. Like immature children they are now taking it out on their employees. It never ends. The polls-are-skewed Romney-landslide people will continue to give us another four years of absolute fiction and unfortunatley there will be no shortage of people who will believe it. Not one single law or policy has changed this week. These layoffs are are a political stunt which accomplish nothing other than giving the FOX news talk radio audience a bogus excuse to say "I told you so".

• TerryNovember 11, 2012 - 11:56 am

What a bunch of sore winners or is that whiners. Businesses have to live with the reality of the free market. They do not live in or survive in a utopian society. As such many will find ways around the added costs and taxes associated with ObamaCare. The impact of these novel solutions are frequently called unintended consequences. So for all the liberals that thought ObamaCare was going to be the panacea that solved our ever increasing healthcare costs, it is now time for you to face the reality that costs are not going down but up, that providers are going to opt out or retire, and that employers are going to be even more reluctant to shoulder the costs of insurance, leaving more people responsible for providing it themselves. Nothing is free, least of all anything that comes from government.

• EvelynNovember 11, 2012 - 12:17 pm

Terry: A Full List of 20 Obamacare Tax Hikes can be found @ http://www.atr.org/full-list-obamacare-tax-hikes-a6996 ********* The author states the cost will come in at $500 billion-plus over the next 10 years.

• AnthonyNovember 11, 2012 - 12:19 pm

Terry, when Medicare was first proposed, Ronald Reagan told us that it would lead to Soviet style dictatorship with government telling physicians where they could live and work. Over the years (I am 60 years old), I have found that right wing predictions of doom and gloom are seldom if ever an accurate forecast of events to come.

• AnthonyNovember 11, 2012 - 12:28 pm

Evelyn, let us look at the entire picture of taxation as the ACA is implemented. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamacare-tax-hikes-vs-tax-breaks-which-is-greater/2012/07/06/gJQAx6AyPW_blog.html The CBO estimated that the government will provide ***$630 billion in tax credits**** and subsidies for insurance within the next 11 years, compared to just $54 billion in penalties for uninsured individuals over the same period. (See Table 2 from the penalties link.) As you can see, credits and subsidies represent nearly 12 times the amount of “tax” through the penalty.

• James E.November 11, 2012 - 12:52 pm

Cookie 65, Papa John should raise his prices to cover his business expenses. Then, we can decide if we want to pay his prices -- it's called the free market. I really want him to raise his prices so he will quit whining about the president. And, if he quits whining about the president, I might buy one his pizzas at his new asking price. I'd like a large pepperoni and extra cheese, but hold the whine.

• EvelynNovember 11, 2012 - 12:55 pm

Anthony, thanks for the link/article. It does indeed state that the "CBO estimated that the government will provide $630 billion in tax credits and subsidies for insurance within the next 11 years, compared to just $54 billion in penalties for uninsured individuals ... ." To comment usefully (I'm not a tax fundie!) I'd have to print out BOTH articles, compare them, and check for overlap, supplementing information, and/or contradiction. Short of that, however, I have just one question right now regarding that $630 BILLION in tax credits provided for by government: WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THAT $630 BILLION?

• TerryNovember 11, 2012 - 1:44 pm

Good question Evelyn, I was thinking the same thing. The IRS will be hiring 16,000 new workers just to cover the healthcare collection process. At $100K per work (salary plus overhead for space, operating expenses, etc.) that is $1,600,000,000 ($1.6B) that adds no measurable improvement to healthcare. They provide no medical services of any kind. What of all the other Federal and state bureaucrats that will be added to monitor the system. What value added do they provide? Also starting this year we will see on our W2 forms the actual costs of our employer provided healthcare. For the time being this is untaxed income, but we can never be sure that will last forever. Anthony, while the dire predictions of Medicare may not have come true, just how well is Medicare doing now and in the future? Seems to me it is one of our biggest unfunded liabilities. Once again government promises more than we can provide. As for the cost of future healthcare, I am certain that my family’s healthcare costs will go up. I already pay over 50% of my salary for care with no government assistance. Next year, my deduction threshold goes from 7.5% to 10%. If my employer decides to increase the employee contribution to cover the increased insurance costs for the mandated freebies, then my costs will go up more. This will be on top of any increases in provider rates.

• EvelynNovember 15, 2012 - 11:23 am

DENNY'S TO CHARGE 5% 'OBAMACARE SURCHARGE' AND CUT EMPLOYEE HOURS TO DEAL WITH COST OF LEGISLATION @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/john-metz-hurricane-grill-wings-dennys_n_2122412.html

• DeeNovember 15, 2012 - 11:49 am

Evelyn- Stop trying to confuse them with facts. Denny's is only doing this to make a profit and stay open. And from reading comments of some of our fellow citizens , that is wrong. It is better they go bankrupt.

• DeeNovember 15, 2012 - 12:09 pm

Evelyn- Here is a summary of voter fraud in the last election; http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/22-signs-that-voter-fraud-is-wildly-out-of-control-and-the-election-was-a-sham

• EvelynNovember 15, 2012 - 3:15 pm

Dee: We haven't even BEGUN to count the cost(s).

• DeeNovember 15, 2012 - 4:01 pm

Evelyn - You are right! But I am not sure I want to count that high.

• where's my hat?November 23, 2012 - 8:48 am

Harry we just looooooooooove your letters. They are so . . . so . . . so . . . ewe. U know that colonoscopy u recommend? Well . . . I went for one. Doc sez my hat is nowhere to be scene. But doc did say that my colon remarkably resembles the 44th president of the united states.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment