Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Raley’s strikers have bad attitude

EDITOR: On Nov. 7 I went to Raley’s on Placerville Drive to take advantage of the specials advertised. I am aware of the employee strike, but feel that is their business, not mine.

Most of the strikers were making noise, sounding like a high school cheering group. The so-called “security” was mingling with the strikers looking like old friends. At the door, a fairly large male got in my face and started shouting something about retirement and health benefits.

I told him I was there to shop for the specials and he told me I should go somewhere else to shop. He then babbled something else, staying loud and in my face. I didn’t recognize him as a Raley’s employee from this store, nor the two or three other guys standing around with him. I assume he was some sort of union thug sent out to intimidate the senior citizens coming to the store to save a few bucks with the advertized specials. I’ll be back.

HARVEY ANDREWS

Placerville

• DarrinNovember 10, 2012 - 9:36 am

Harvey, it is your business. By supporting Raley's in the community you help us keep the freshest produce in the area. By shopping there during a strike, you show the owners and managers that you don't support the high quality employees at Raley's. I do not want them to have the poor quality fruit and veg that is available at other local grocers, or gawdforbid, WALMART! I am sure there are a few folks that work in the back that you do not see every day...

• James E.November 10, 2012 - 10:26 am

I have shopped at Raley's since the strike and have not been accosted. Given I believe in unions, why would I shop there? Because the union did not let its members vote on Raley's offer. Therefore, I consider it an illegal strike and one that should not be honored.

• DeeNovember 10, 2012 - 11:52 am

Harvey, I had the very same experience, except when I checked out the clerk, assistant manager and manager offered to walk me to my car. When I exited the store a guy in a white shirt appeared and cleared the pathway. I'll be back also because this is my store. They have good produce, good fish and great service. My heart goes out to the employees and I hope the strike is short and that the agreement doesn't bankrupt the store.

• R.J. CarterNovember 11, 2012 - 7:46 am

Mr. Andrews...If it's any conciliation, I don't believe the United Food and Commercial Workers ( UFCW ) union has ever allowed supermarket employees to picket their own stores......The striking employees of our Placerville Raleys are most likely picking a Raleys down in Sacramento and vice-versa...The folks outside our Raleys here in Placerville are most likely strangers to the area who don't care about ruffling the feathers of a few locals....Unfortunately, I've been involved in strikes several times in my life so I do hope it ends well, soon, and works out to be beneficial for both sides.....

• EvelynNovember 12, 2012 - 4:56 am

When at Raleys one day last week I found the picketers entirely respectful. Though energized, they in no way harassed or impeded access.

• cookie65November 12, 2012 - 5:20 am

Sometimes the hardcore union types give a bad name to the rest. It is the same in the public sector where 90% of them give a bad name to the other 10%. In theory unionization is about bully tactics, mob rule, 2 wolves and one lamb voting on what is for lunch. Many of the unions feel as threatened as they ever have and see their power and freeride slipping away under the heal of an economy created by the people who they helped elect. SWEET JUSTICE. It is worth the wait.

• kggNovember 12, 2012 - 8:47 am

as a total workforce, the most helpful grocery store employees in placerville work at raleys. we haven't shopped there since the strike began but we will return when the strike is over. good luck to them.

• Bob WilsonNovember 12, 2012 - 9:33 am

Raley's is a great company. Their stores are well stocked and a pleasant place to shop. But it's the employees that make it a great place to shop. It's those employees that are kind professional at the checkstand. It's the employees that help you find exactly what looking for or get that perfect cut of meat for you. They are the ones who volunteer for the charitable events around the area that the company executives take credit for. All they want is a fair contract and that must be negotiated. I value the relationship I've estblished with the employees that serve us in our day to day shopping. The best way to end this is to support those workers. That support will help speed the negotiations and get them back in their stores and in turn shoppers back in their stores. I choose to shop elsewhere and will return when they do.

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 9:42 am

I wouldn't stoop so low as to cross a picket line, so I cannot comment on the strikers attitude, but if they do have a bad attitude I would understand because Raley's is trying to take away their hours, benefits and lower their wages. Maybe you can support them wanting to make a liveable wage and not be on public assistance to support their families. It's a really hard job, physically and mentally demanding, more than you obviously have any idea about. And how would you like to be retired and have them trying to take away what you already worked for? And cookie65, all your comments are always negative and insulting, maybe you need a vacation.

• Jon SchroderNovember 12, 2012 - 10:13 am

Unions are nothing more than legalized organized crime in the u.s. I avoid shopping at any union house operated store and will never shop at Raleys. I would hope that the company would fold, I would love to see those poor lazy slobs out of work, it would serve them right. There are plenty of honest non union workers that would love to work.

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 10:16 am

Raley's offer is MORE than fair too bad the UNION sucks! Their benefits that are offered are far better than most companies and the union needs to be eliminated in this economy they are out of their minds at refusing what Raley's has offered. Most the real "GOOD" employees are crossing the line and working! They believe that the offer is fair and the union did not allow a vote, Hopefully those who crossed the line are rewarded, and those striking get whats deserved as the replacements are taking your place and getting great benefits. All you lost was a $1 an hour on Sundays geez grow up!

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 10:25 am

And talk about TACKY while accosting me with their babble about the strike, I noticed them STEALING power from Raley's to charge their phones and devices...

• Bob WilsonNovember 12, 2012 - 10:30 am

Jon, you seem angry. Why does it bother you so much to see people stand up for what they believe. Should they just fall in line and accept everything the company is trying to take away. You have no idea what their jobs are like. Why don't you cross the line and get a job in one of those stores. You'll find out real quick that the job is demanding, physically and mentally and they have to put up with attitudes like yours. Still they do it with a smile. Try a smile sometimes. It will make you a nicer person.

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 10:35 am

The workers that are crossing the line are the non-union employees. And it is more than $1 loss per hour for sunday. Raleys wants to take away all premium pay, night crew, holidays, etc. Why don't YOU grow up and learn the facts. GEEZ! You obviously have no idea how hard it is to work in the grocery business, especially having to deal with the public (like you) who can't even use a real name and have to hide behind some stupid tag line.

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 10:48 am

Typical UNION troll, Raley's did publish their offer to the employees in this newspaper, go ahead and lie to those who have not read the facts. But a Liar is a Liar!

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 10:58 am

Not a bad offer at all, see for yourselves that the UNION is out of it's mind! http://www.raleys.com/www/promotions/promotions.jsp?contentid=2694917 Is the actual offer by Raley's and not the lies from Cheryl

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 11:12 am

Oh well Cheryl guess that's it for you, by the way my name is John H. and I shop at the Placerville Raley's every weekend strike or not. Too bad I won't be seeing you their anymore :(

• chrispyNovember 12, 2012 - 11:45 am

I completely agree! I live in South Lake Tahoe and the strikers are a$$holes. You jerks make 23.10 as an unskilled worker scanning groceries or cutting deli meat. You yell at me to shop Safeway and call me 'scab shopper'. Not only are you biting the hand that has fed you, but you are slighting your employer(if you get your overpaid job back). No sunday pay, wage freeze? Cry me a friggin river.

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 11:45 am

So you go by what Raley's published, that says so much about you. And by the way I don't shop at Raley's so thank god I won't see you there. Maybe you should have taken a minute to see what the other side says.

• James E.November 12, 2012 - 11:57 am

Chrispy, all the "jerks" don't make $23.10 -- highest wage is around $21.00, but that is made by only a few long term employees. A very few. Most are well under that amount and many are part time workers.

• chrispyNovember 12, 2012 - 11:57 am

I have listed to the other side. Do you know what grocery workers make in most of the country? About 8 bucks an hour. They lost premium Sunday pay, and in some extreme cases thier pensions. The wage scale is frozen. SO WHAT? The company must make a decision to stay profitable. These 'workers' do not know how good they have it!

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 11:58 am

Not lying John H. just stating the facts. But leave it to your type to start calling names and making false accusations. And Crispy that is false that the clerks make 23.10 per hour, if you really knew what you are talking about you would know it is much less than that for most workers. And the truth is also that having known many who worked in the grocery business it is so much more than "scanning groceries or cutting meat", it is stocking shelves (backbreaking work), crazy hours, office work, unloading trucks and stacking away product, etc. To say otherwise is ignorant.

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 12:00 pm

• James E.November 12, 2012 - 12:02 pm

Chrispy, are you pulling more dollar amounts out of the air? What your source of $8.00 an hour for what grocery workers make in most of the company. If my memory serves, even Walmart said their average wage was $10.00 an hour.

• chrispyNovember 12, 2012 - 12:04 pm

cheryl, 'backbreaking'? Seriously? What the heck has happened to this country?? I managed a grocery store at one time in my life. It is a cake job.

• James E.November 12, 2012 - 12:04 pm

*** strike company, add country.

• John H.November 12, 2012 - 12:10 pm

CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 12:00 pm So tired of this conversation, there's just no reasoning with unreasonable people __________________________________ Ha Ha more like the truth hurts your cause and what Raley's offered has been made public, which I trust more what Raley's PUBLISHED than the unions lies or yours....

• John H.November 12, 2012 - 12:13 pm

The REAL published offer to the union employees --> http://www.raleys.com/www/promotions/promotions.jsp?contentid=2694917 <-- Read the TRUTH for yourselves, Don't let the Union or its TROLLS feed you Lies

• cookie65November 12, 2012 - 12:36 pm

I am seeing this $8/hr thrown around for Raley's clerks. Funny how when I went to work at store #422 (placerville) in 1983 as a utility clerk (janitor) I was paid more than that. The union atmosphere is the reason I left. People expecting to be paid for just showing up was foreign to me. I had been raised in an environment where actual work was required in order to be compensated. And don't get me started on the brown nosers. What a joke.

• cookie65November 12, 2012 - 1:01 pm

cheryl, the truth is a stubborn thing and if you find in offensive, TOUGH. If you find the patently obvious insulting, TOUGH. Why would anyone worth the compensation they recieve for the work they do need "collective bargaining"? My aptitude is all I have ever needed and I would never want someone else to negotiate my compensation for me. Face facts, unions are set up for people who need protection for a job they don't do well. Make union membership voluntary and see how fast the unions go out of business.

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 1:16 pm

Me thinks Cheryl has been run off by the facts

• CherylNovember 12, 2012 - 1:33 pm

Guess again loser. You are just posting Raley's propaganda. And if Crispy was really a manager of a store she would know better, unless of course it was a 7-11. I don't know what your problem is with your outrage that people want to make a wage they can get by on. I want this for all of us. Bullies like you won't run me off by calling names.

• Local and still shopping @ Raley'sNovember 12, 2012 - 1:46 pm

Seriously you think Raley's would make a public posting then not honor that, and still have customers? You do not have a clue even when the facts are in your face, what is being offered is far better than most employers offer in benefits and pay in this economy... Believe me I know personally. Raley's has made public its offer which is not a lie, so what REALLY are they losing that is not in that Raley's publication of the facts? Let's here your LIES backed up with some facts!

• chrispyNovember 12, 2012 - 1:56 pm

So Cheryl, 7-11 workers are not worth the same as Raleys workers? You do not support a 7-11 gas jockey union? The facts are clear. If you do not get an education or have an advanced skillset, you cannot blame a grocery store for actions like this. Where I originally come from grocery clerks are KIDS working thier way through college.

• cookie65November 12, 2012 - 2:11 pm

it always helps to understand the actual purpose of any union. The purpose of a union is to negotiate the maximum compensation for the minimum productivity. Neither of which contribute to the lasting success of who ever is supplying the jobs.

• Jons SchroderNovember 12, 2012 - 10:03 pm

And this people is why america is rapidly becomming a third rate country.

• CatherinrNovember 13, 2012 - 8:42 am

Actually, Jon, most first-rate countries support unions, and most third-rate countries do not.

• DarrinNovember 13, 2012 - 11:17 am

dumb-cookie65 continues to amaze me with the stupid comments they make -The purpose of a union is to negotiate the maximum compensation for the minimum productivity. Unions may not be needed as much as they were when steel mills and coal plants were putting the screws to employees. The folks at Raleys give Placerville the best produce around. I want the employees where I shop to be able to afford the good quality produce they buy. The Anti-Union, Republican loud mouths on here should just go to Wal-mart and get their Chinese canned goods and old produce. We need a middle class. Not just the Rich Union haters and the workers. No one is forcing you to go to Raley's.

• James E.November 13, 2012 - 11:28 am

Union announces a deal has been reached with Raley's. Strike over.

• local Raley's CustomerNovember 13, 2012 - 12:42 pm

And I bet the deal is the same deal they have had on the board from the begining STUPID UNION! Now get back to work you whiners!

• Foaming at the MouthNovember 13, 2012 - 1:18 pm

Dang, strike is over already? Now who are we supposed to bash?

• EvelynNovember 13, 2012 - 3:04 pm

I was delighted to see James comment about Raleys strike being over. Here it is: RALEY'S SAYS THERE'S A DEAL TO END THE STRIKE @ http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/13/4981885/raleys-union-deal.html ********* A neighbor works at Raleys. Her hours are awful but she was caught in what seemed a no-win situation. She simply cannot afford to be out of work. I hope they’re all back on the job – straight away. ********** “But Raley's may have suffered a setback last Thursday, when rival Safeway signed a tentative labor agreement with the union. The deal preserved the union-preferred health plan and left Raley's as the only unionized grocery chain in the region without a contract. Save Mart Supermarkets made a deal with the union in September.”

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 69 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 18 Comments | Gallery

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

A great big thanks

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3