Same sex marriage

Now that the U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to consider two cases concerning the legality of same sex marriage, I would like to ask two questions of those who oppose it.

First, say that you oppose same sex marriage on the grounds that marriage should be limited to a man and a woman because procreation is the purpose of marriage and a homosexual couple cannot produce children, the reason cited by many opponents. Would you deny marriage to a heterosexual couple who love each other, but choose not to or cannot, due to advanced age or medical issues, have children?

Second question: How would the legalization of same sex marriage hurt your marriage?

DAVID A. SAUVE
Placerville

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 6:19 am

Marry a goat for all I care. No relationship is equal to the man woman relationship. Even the mother child relationship is not equal to it. The species depends on the man woman relationship and it should be held above all others. The other issue is the radical gay movement is not so much interested in marriage as they are at having homosexuality taught in the public schools. That is their true agenda. Marriage is just a way to achieve that.

• DarrinDecember 12, 2012 - 6:31 am

Live and be happy! From a purely scientific aspect, the world is either too populated or getting close to the limit. Gay couples are assisting the planet for the greater good. Less children (I assume one of the more difficult decisions for them if they like kids is to admit that they wont have children) and taking in kids through adoption that would otherwise be without loving parents. Happy parents raise happy kids. Lets make sure all people can choose who they want to marry and live their life as they want.

• DarrinDecember 12, 2012 - 6:44 am

Ahh, more genius ravings from the CookieFearMonger... oh sure, the education system is going to offer classes on homosexuality or maybe they will be mandatory in your Right-wing Utopian society. That is moronic! If that were the case, then why aren't all kids in schools Mathematicians, they teach math in school, don't they? Or whey aren't they all scientists since they teach science? If you have a proclivity towards something and it make you happy, why not choose that path in life. That would be like forcing a person who like the outdoors to work in a cube... Maybe you should get up from the computer some times and go out and (OH NO) meet some actual people and maybe you would meet some gay folks that really are not all that bad. Gosh, Hater, maybe you could even be friends...

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 9:21 am

My brother-in-law is gay. Known him for over 25 years along with dozens of his friends. He is without question one of my favorite people and closest friends in life. He knows what the radical gay movement is about, why don't you? As far as he is concerned they do more harm than good to his life. Just like the radical environmentalist do to the people who just want reasonable stewardship of the planet. Speaking of fearmongering, I have been hearing about the planet being overpopulated since there was only 4 billion.

• John SavageDecember 12, 2012 - 10:51 am

Marriage Equality is about fairness. Our Constitution guarantees that everyone be treated equally under the law. Same-sex couples should have the same rights and responsibilies as other couples. Cookie65, I'm happy you love your brother in-law, pity you want him treated as a second-class citizen. It's scary you put the relationship of a man and a woman above that of a mother and child. I'm sure that makes your children feel so secure.

• Charles DiamondDecember 12, 2012 - 12:45 pm

Cookie is just a troll. She gets off by saying stupid things to see how people will react. Best to ignore her.

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 12:57 pm

John Savage, if the Constitution requires we all be equal under the law, please explain affirmative action to me. Or the diamond lane on the freeway. And by the way, the mother child relationship also depends on the man woman relationship.

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 1:05 pm

Charles, actually I say things in an attempt to get people like you to think. It is a difficult task but I am up to the challenge.

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 1:05 pm

The man-woman relationship matters only for procreation.

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 1:10 pm

Biscuit, I am sorry childhood was such a bad experience for you.

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 1:24 pm

Sweet cookie65, you make the most wonderful assumptions ... bless your blinkered puritan's heart.

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 1:36 pm

"My brother-in-law is gay" and I just love him to bits and he is "one of my favorite people and closest friends in life" but now that I think about it he's only a 2nd class citizen because he's not in one of those sacred man-woman relationships. Love, cookie65

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 1:50 pm

cookie65 is so busy helping us to think that he doesn't have time to do any himself. coooooooooookie, are you OK?

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 4:42 pm

Biscuit, like I said you can marry your german-shepard if you want, I don't care. It will never be equal with the relationship that all of society, all of history, all of mankind and everything else is based on. Every neighboor, every school, the man woman relationship is the core of all humanity and no revision of history will ever change it. And all the "I am special, make special rules just for me" won't change it either. Marriage can be traced back thousands of years when two people became a new family. A man and a woman. No one is stopping you from exchanging vows with someone. True marraige has absolutely nothing to do with a piece of paper. I am surprised how much of a deal is made over it. It must because of the true motive behind it. Everything a marriage entitles you to you can get done legally. I know my brother-in-law has. But he is not a second class citizen, he is a rather successful person who flies his dogs first class when he goes places.

• cookie65December 12, 2012 - 5:11 pm

I just went out and got my mail. I had 3 Christmas cards from some of my gay friends that I have known for so long that my now adult children still call them "uncle". Not bad for a hater. I always love how the left has overused that term to where it no longer has any meaning. Like the word racist. By the way me and my gay friends have had very lengthy discussions on this very subject. They know I would go out and get ordained to marry them if they wanted.

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 5:24 pm

The institution known as marriage originally was about the protection of property rights. Investigating the separate histories of marriage vs. ancient and other practices regarding same sex unions contradicts cookies' notions about "all of society, all of history, all of mankind and everything else." Not much, however, is written about marrying German Shepherds.

• Don YbrightDecember 12, 2012 - 5:31 pm

To quote a comedian who's name escapes me. "homosexuals have just as much right to lose half their s#!t as everybody else". Get over it people. It will be fun to watch tthe first gay divorce on Judge Judy though.

• DB SmithDecember 12, 2012 - 5:42 pm

Hey biscut...does not "much" negate marrying a dog? Why do women have the ability to give birth? Why do men have the ability to initiate that birth? Because it was planned that way. Try and change it all you want. If you do change it then in the end all YOU will end up with is sole satisfaction and not the most important thing which is that of life as it was planned. Munch on all you want but don't rub it in my face like the disgusting displays they do in lovely San Francisco in front of children. To each their own.

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 5:58 pm

DB ... somewhere cookie65 mentioned "thinking". That's what he wants us to do. And that's all we're doing. THINKING. Think: PROCREATION - the ability of one man and woman to reproduce. RELATIONSHIP - no biological constraints. Nobody's rubbing you face in anything. Look away. The one man/one woman business itself can get a bit tawdry. Red light districts and prostitution abound (the sacred one man / one woman thing). Best to stay removed from others sexual practices.

• DB SmithDecember 12, 2012 - 6:07 pm

By the way biscut...you did know that your great leader was involved in some munching of his own? He had his cocaine supplier and muncher disposed of though. His name was Larry Sinclair.

• SteveDecember 12, 2012 - 6:09 pm

I am for same sex marriage for many reasons. People do not just wake up one day out of bed and decide they are going to be GAY, or Lesbian. I hope DOMA is struck down, marriage is a States Rights Issue, so let the Higher Court make it's ruling and fight for equality. Hence this last National election you still had men trying to deal with womens Healthcare issue, which is non of mans business! I am so Glad I am not a part of the GOP anymore, they have become nothing but hate!!! Yes Gays do push around in San Francisco, but I was never raped,by a gay man, nor in the s****ers open showers in the Military. SEX and Love is different for each and everyone of us, as Harvey Milk would say.."Everyone has to Come Out"! It's time to stop discrimination and if the Mormons Want Plural Wives, more too them., however that already goes on still in Utah, Hum I could only handle 1 wife, yet alone do not know how Brigham Young had 50!

• RichardDecember 12, 2012 - 6:47 pm

Dear Biscut, after a night of drinking I woke up this morning next to the bell-tower in downtown Placerville butt naked, handcuffed to a goat, wearing a wedding dress. In California, does this mean were legally married?

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 6:48 pm

DB ... just like cookie65 you make amazing assumptions. Based on precisely what do you conclude the identity of my "leader"? Yes, I know about Obama's history. As for Larry Sinclair, to the best of my knowledge he's still alive (others aren't though). I've read his book on Obama. Have you?

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 6:51 pm

Richard ... you're definitely married. But do get dressed before leaving the Belltower. And take your German Shepherd with you!

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 7:10 pm

DB wants you all read this book written by Larry Sinclair . . . but DB gets to first, 'cause he hasn't read it himself. http://tinyurl.com/cbychcs

• James E.December 12, 2012 - 7:37 pm

I would recommend not marrying a German Shepherd. They shed horribly and you would be changing your sheets daily.

• DB SmithDecember 12, 2012 - 7:40 pm

How about a goat colonel? That was richards choice.

• James E.December 12, 2012 - 7:44 pm

Mr. Smith, I don't know much about goats. But, don't they have horns? That might be irritating in the middle of the night.

• DB SmithDecember 12, 2012 - 7:47 pm

I don't know much bout em either. Sounds like richard does though. Are you listening SPCA activists?

• biscuitDecember 12, 2012 - 8:09 pm

Time to settle down ... you're having way too much fun. But where's cookie; still reading her Xmas cards? "Some of my best friends are ____________ (fill in the blank)."

• DB SmithDecember 12, 2012 - 8:18 pm

biscut ~ some of your best friends are (_getting aroused_). Go figure.

• Jack MartinDecember 13, 2012 - 5:01 pm

Per Mr Suave's question, my objection to gay marriage is very simple. Civil Unions are one thing, they are legally codified joining of two people for many purposes. But "marriage" and "bride" and "groom" are uniquely religious words. I've known many gay people, male and female. All of them, every single one, was at the very least indifferent to religion in whatever form,and most of them were openly hostile to it. Thus, the imposition of their will upon a religious institution such as marriage is nothing more than an "in your face" political move. That's the only motivation. They do not care to become religious people because they already know that every major religion in the world rejects, or at the very least does not embrace, their chosen lifestyle. In my view, the Federal Government has no business defining who may be married. It is a state's issue and the SCOTUS should decided as such. Some states will decide to accept it, some will not, per the views of the residents there. This move by pro-gay groups to force 96% of the population (straight) to accept them on equal terms for motives that are disingenuous is simply not acceptable. Never will be.

• steveDecember 13, 2012 - 5:40 pm

I think once the Federal Government gives gay people the same legal status in regards to Civil Unions as Marriage, by means of Social Security, Federal income Taxes, Estate Taxes, then this whole idea of "Marriage" will come to a close. By the Way Homosexuality is not something chosen to become, one never wants it any many take it upon themselves suicide as a way out because of the shame society puts upon them. You cannot wake out of bed some day and say; Gee Today I am going to be Gay", when there is no attraction to the same sex! You can't learn homosexuality, sexuality between men and women is not a trait you learn or become converted to a "lifestyle"! Go watch the movie called MILK, you might learn something! I have worked with and served with lots of gay men in the Military both Sailors and Marines. Never was raped in the showers or s****ers or in the barracks; for body warmth in Korea, I am sure I slept with a gay Marine to keep warm at night because it was below zero and we had no heat in our Tent! Marriage hits the hammer on the nail head, in short, it makes a final commitment to one another and in the Divorce Courts! It's a states rights issue and a Federal Issue. Lets see what happens with the Supreme Court Ruling when DOGMA is overturned! Let Civil Unions be he same as marriage for gay people as marriage in relegion be the same for hetrosexual couples! Lets Stop the hate and bigotry in society and learn to get along with one another. SF CA is a different story in it' self, just don't go there for Folsom Street Fair or bay to breakers Run!cc

• Jackoff MartinDecember 13, 2012 - 6:24 pm

It should be illegal for atheists to get married.

• c. leaDecember 13, 2012 - 6:39 pm

Please.....cookie65. You are too intolerant and single minded to have any affiliations with gay people. There were no Christmas cards, now were there? And you don't have a brother-in-law that is gay, that you are speaking to, now do you? You are a hater cookie65. You hate our government. You hate liberals or anyone that strays from your not so informed, self righteous life attitude. You are sadly, sad and I wish you a Merry Christmas.

• CatherineDecember 13, 2012 - 10:29 pm

Jack, Gay people who want to get married aren't asking any religious group to change their policy. Religions are allowed to exclude people. And Bride and Groom aren't religious terms.

• arnold langeDecember 17, 2012 - 11:47 am

Todays paper lists 53 divorces for our county in the month of October. How many of those can be blamed on the legalization of same sex marriage? I would wager zero nada zip.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 17, 2012 - 12:09 pm

Arnold, you seem to be a hater. Presently same sex couples are protected from the pain, chaos, sadness, and misery stemming from divorce. You seem to be wishing all that awful stuff on same sex couples. Arnold, you are a hater. Presently when GLBTs find other “attractions” they simply move on. They don’t need lowyers. Arnold, you’re a hater. Today when GLBTs split all they need is a UHAUL. Arnold, you’re a hater. Arnold you want to replace “gentle on my mind” with red tape legalistic claptrap complications that truly destroy freedoms. Arnold!

• arnold langeDecember 17, 2012 - 1:32 pm

phil, hater is not a word that describes me. to your points relating to all the miseries of a failed marriage: ALL "rights" come with responsibility. the right of free speech, don't yell 'fire' in a crowded theater, the right to bear arms, don't open fire on innocent 5 year olds and on and on. as to the point I was making, the divorces listed in today's paper have have nothing to do with marriage equality. as for marriage in general, I think the government, national or state should be removed from the act of marriage, eliminate all tax benefits and every government provided benefit of marriage, otherwise, the rights and responsibilities related to marriage should be available to same sex couples.

• DB SmithDecember 17, 2012 - 1:42 pm

OK Arnold, so for one of many examples, you..as a dude want to marry another dude as a same sex marriage but then you get bored and want to jive things up a bit by getting a sex change and get it cut off and go through all that icky kinda stuff. Who gets to pay for all the short and long term medical and mental costs for your same sex marriage decision?

• cookie crumbsDecember 17, 2012 - 1:55 pm

Oh Smithy all the horridly conceivable complications are simply eeendlessssss. What if the house burns down and the fire dept doesn't come on time cause they hate gay people and the churchgoing neighbors won't talk to the odd couple cause they are . . . odd . . . and the economy collapses cause the 'gay' couple aren't materialists and a million other possibilities that we can think of if we just try hard enough are certain to seal the argument that same-sex couples are bottom line one more more thing our right minded community should DISCOURAGE.

• DB SmithDecember 17, 2012 - 2:07 pm

Bla, bla, bla, crumbs. Just as I thought! Come on out of the closet and use your real name. I don't have a damn thing against gay people until they start flaunting it in public and want the tax payer to pay for their jollies. Don't the tax payers have to foot the bill for prisoner sex therapies/changes and such? Please.....

• cookie crumbsDecember 17, 2012 - 3:30 pm

So Smithy you don't want to pay for my sex change and I don't want a sex change so we're good on that one and I don't want any public funded jollies or lollies or follies so basically you're saying we can be friends if only I would come out of the closet cause really you love people like me as long as we don't behave like ordinary decent people who like each other in public. Good to go!

• DB SmithDecember 17, 2012 - 3:45 pm

Looks like the crumbs have crumbled. Best wishes on your endeavors.

• Arnold LangeDecember 17, 2012 - 5:19 pm

let me feed into the vulgar uncouth dbsmith... from dbsmith;-- "I don't have a damn thing against gay people until they start flaunting it in public..."-- funny db, I feel the same about face sucking breeders.

• DB SmithDecember 17, 2012 - 5:41 pm

Vulgar and uncouth uh Arnold. The truth is uncomfortable and funny at times. Have fun.

• DB SmithDecember 17, 2012 - 5:47 pm

BTW Arnie, I thought I would of been included on your "DO NOT RESPOND" list by now. No such honor I guess. Peace brother.

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A2, 1 Comment