Something smells

From page A5 | September 04, 2013 | 35 Comments

Your Board of Supervisors have seemed to forgotten who they work for — you and I. The board seems to think they work for themselves and staff and apparently think they are there to justify the ends to the means. The animal shelter hearing was another prime example that was similar to their poor Mental Health decision a couple of months ago to lease the problem-plagued Logan Building.

While the audience was a little less rowdy and Chairman Ron Briggs didn’t have to threaten to have the Sheriff arrest anyone, staff told a bunch of untruths relating to how 100 potential sites were reviewed and the site selection was whittled down to one best site in the back of Park West as the most suitable building location, and the board members seemed fall all over themselves to validate the staff. If that were true, why did the county Facilities Department try to put Mental Health in the same building on Capitol Avenue in Park West first?

The reality is the last six property owners were pitted against each other as the county staff and Russ Fackrell, an accountant, sought to achieve the lowest price by beating property owners down against each other in a poor economy. The whole site selection was based on where the county could purchase the cheapest building and which property owner the county could beat up the most on price — nothing else. Then there is the dubious question of the county’s uncontracted real estate agent, Scott Kingston, whose decision steered the county to that building based not necessarily on what was in the best interest of the county but what was in the best interest of his pocket book based upon the huge brokerage commission he would receive.

The new Grand Jury needs to look into this huge legal violation and conflict of interest as county leases and acquisitions are being steered not on the best suitable location for the county but on the best commission for the real estate agent, and there is a potential for kickbacks to county officials. Yes, your Board of Supervisors know about this and are holding hands with the CAO on this one and looking the other way regarding this huge conflict of interest. The newly formed county Facilities Department is being led by a bunch of incompetent hacks who know very little about what they are doing other than cutting side deals for themselves and outsourcing just about everything for additional cost — some to companies they have a financial interest in.

I heard nothing but leading questions from board members who already knew the answers to questions they asked to justify the site acquisition decision, and eagerly sought to put a rubber stamp of approval on the ongoing animal shelter debacle to put the issue to bed despite the abominable impacts it will cause to neighbors. I heard many unresolved questions asked of staff by concerned neighbors and staff scuttling to say “oh, state law requires us to do that, or we’ll make sure that doesn’t happen, and hey, we’re the county, you know where to find us to complain.” The audience was then told that the county doesn’t have to comply with its own zoning code — isn’t that reassuring. Citizens were then told that the horses can be fed super insecticide food that eliminates flies, that the smell from the animal incinerator will smell just like BBQ and that urine flowing across their property in drainage ditches will smell like a sweet stream of nectar. With all these unmitigated environmental factors and the board’s eagerness to rubber stamp the approval, I started to wonder if this wasn’t the future Briggs justice center project.

The reality is staff did not do an adequate job mitigating the environmental problems, and who would trust a biased Negative Declaration prepared by county staff as being impartial, unbiased and independent? The county-prepared Negative Declaration presents a huge conflict of interest and leaves the county with wide open legal exposure, especially since so many environmental issues weren’t addressed, were addressed inadequately or were incorrectly rubber stamped, “No Impact.” Neighbors need to hire a good environmental attorney.

DAN WESTON
Placerville

• EvelynSeptember 04, 2013 - 5:56 am

The huge brokerage commissions for County properties referenced by the letter writer seem to be a relatively new practice, begun about two years ago. Does anyone know of any such instances PRIOR to 2011?

• Compass2TruthSeptember 04, 2013 - 7:57 am

Hallelujah, the light of Truth is beginning to expose the works of darkness by the wolves in sheep's clothing on the BOS. Per Sheriff D'Agostini, "...Hold their feet to the fire. Mine too. I work for you." Wake up EDC...It's high time to place a bounty on some of those 'wolves.'

• Compass2TruthSeptember 04, 2013 - 8:59 am

Click on Approval of Agenda and Consent Calendar of the 8/27 BOS meeting: http://eldorado.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=253 **Note how County Counsel Ed Knapp winks at reporter Chris Daley regarding the LUUPU item. Then watch how Chairman Briggs reacts when his feet are held to the fire (same disrespect shown to Sheriff D'Agostini and a retired Marine in March 2011.) Mikalaco follows Briggs out of the room but meanwhile Veerkamp and Santiago remain seated during Briggs arrogant display of disrespect speaks volumes.

• cookie65September 04, 2013 - 9:41 am

I cannot recall ever reading any comments, letters or articles that have ever offered anything even slightly complimentary of Briggs. I have seen videos of what a horse's @$$ he is. So who bought his position on the board and what did they gain by doing so? Perhaps he makes the same use of Diebold voting machines as obama. How else do you explain someone with such a raunchy disposition, attitude and blatant animosity toward the citizens of this county making it past dog catcher? He couldn't be any more unsuited for the job. My apologize to any dog catchers for insinuating Briggs would be capable of what you do. Best of luck to the citizens of his district removing the repugnant stench he brings to local government and the entire county when the next opportunity arrives.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 9:53 am

Ron Briggs: One of the creators of California's death penalty concludes it isn't working By Ron Briggs http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_19965485 according to this--he is getting rid of the death penalty.

• cookie65September 04, 2013 - 10:04 am

Fran, sounds like it was better before they fixed it. Government and those who pursue its fruits have a loooooong record of unintended consequences. Typical of do-goodism in politics an entire industry has been created because of the fix and not for the good. Just imagine what we are in for now that government has fixed healthcare.

• BatmanSeptember 04, 2013 - 10:12 am

Keep in mind the same big money guy who was behind "Toilet-bug Ron Briggs" is still tossing out money to bring down Ray Nutting...He was also a huge contributor to miscreants Vern Pierson and Craig Therkildsen and their campaigns ...His initials are Ken Steers

• BatmaniaSeptember 04, 2013 - 10:19 am

The best that money can buy.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 10:35 am

here s another one cookie--depending on how one feels about the death penalty Seeking an End to an Execution Law They Once Championed http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/07/us/fighting-to-repeal-california-execution-law-they-championed.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0. They put Briggs in a good light. Unless you are for it--and are wondering if someone he knows may have done something wrong...shrugging shoulders.

• RaulSeptember 04, 2013 - 10:35 am

While it is a well known fact that Pee Wee Briggs is totally useless and out of touch, the king of corruption and political cronyism in EDC is Diamond Joe Harn. the quarter million dollar a year "guardian of the taxpayer". Thats what really smells in EDC. Time for Joe to Go along with his gang of thieves.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 10:50 am

Raul...I was just posting articles that were "nice" because cookie said she hadnt seen any. I dont know Briggs...however he has always been polite to me at meetings. Not once has he thrown anything at me...or walked out when he disagrees. Do I trust any of them--nope--but they are polite...lololol

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 2:22 pm

G'Town Whistler...I dont wear glasses...lolol...already said I dont trust any of them--I grew up around politicians. and I already saw the display of bad manners--thanks. I really dont know Briggs at all. I posted nicer articles out of fairness--there is always many sides to everything--I like at least two...lolol...let me know if you find any with kindness to puppies--that s a tie breaker for me. Now for the BOS itself--I dont get why they back CEDAC or LUPPU...and why CEDAPP is allowed to do anything they want...just thinking about that ruffles my fur...Im waiting for something else to be taken away from kids up here--so that I can write each of the places giving grants to Parks and Trails-- letters stating how it looks to take things taken from kids....it will make a nice article. Huge Corporations steal From Kids...So that yet another Trail can go in to Walk on. Sorry side tracked...lololol We have three Supervisors up here--Briggs is not one of them...so I dont know him.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 2:23 pm

The new Grand Jury...What happened to the old Grand Jury--notes anyone...any thing?

• Ken SteersSeptember 04, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Holy cow Batman! If you were to check you would see that I've never contributed to Ron Briggs. I've not spent a dime to bring down Ray Nutting. On a personal note I feel sorry for Ray and his family. Also if you define Vern Pierson Craig Therkildsen as miscreants then I would have to ask you compared to whom? I would say Dan that your warped sense of reality in this universe has run into a black hole. Just man up and accept personal responsibility for your mistakes. it's the first step.

• WTFfran?September 04, 2013 - 6:04 pm

• Fran DuchampSeptember 04, 2013 - 11:20 pm

"Grand Jury investigations are secret. The only public information would be a completed report signed off by the GJ. Obviously the last GJ didn't submit any reports." Im sorry...people paid for the answers--and got nothing...not even a gee" Im sorry"-- however these are the questions posed...but no conclusions were formed. And they do answer to a judge--maybe they could have come up with something. If I had been on the jury--I would have asked someone to write up something--out of some kind of common courtesy to the public. It is not everyday that a Grand Jury steps down. (WFT Fran--nice--how grown up of you lololol) The same questions can not be posed again--no one keeps a secret for very long in this county...so it would be unfair to keep going with the last investigation--dont you think.

• cookie65September 05, 2013 - 5:28 am

Speaking of secrets, where is the smear letter the DA wrote to Briggs on the taxpayers dime which unless proven otherwise has zero evidence of any wrongdoing by Ray Nutting? It is good to know that the DA and Briggs are more than willing to use their time on the payroll running a rumor mill rather than what they were hired for. A DA and board chairman who engage in personal vendettas and baseless accusations in order to prejudice public opinion should sicken every last resident of the county. It sinks to the level of deviant behavior and runs contrary to everything this country was founded on.

• SierraSeptember 05, 2013 - 8:33 pm

Fran, the new Grand Jury sent a press release to all the media more than a week ago..... On the Grand Jury's page at the County's website you can read prior year's reports, check out responses, and even fill out a complaint. Please, when you have the opportunity, take a look.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 05, 2013 - 8:44 pm

thanks sierra...I will try to find it .

• EvelynSeptember 05, 2013 - 8:49 pm

Sierra: I haven't seen a Grand Jury press release. Has it been published? If so, where?

• citizenSeptember 05, 2013 - 8:50 pm

So Dan Dillenger or batman, calls the DA a miscreant. And this Cookie gentleman claims the DA is a deviant. We all know what type of creatures AlarCON, Dillenger and Nutting are. They have a web site attacking the DA. Pure self aggrandizement by bottom dwellers or the community. They are beneath contempt. But how would someone describe an apologist who uses a canard to defend their friends criminal behavior? An immoral dishonest fraud and hypocrite seems to fit.

• EvelynSeptember 05, 2013 - 8:58 pm

citizen: Your "bottom dwellers or the community" phrase is confusing. What does that mean?

• Fran DuchampSeptember 05, 2013 - 9:00 pm

Sierra...I can not find what you are referring to...the items on the BOS site--I have seen. Do you have a link?

• EvelynSeptember 05, 2013 - 9:08 pm

Fran: My search for a published press release leaves me empty handed. Am hoping Sierra can point us to it.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 05, 2013 - 9:12 pm

Grand Jury 2013 http://tinyurl.com/lzpon36

• Fran DuchampSeptember 05, 2013 - 9:23 pm

• Fran DuchampSeptember 05, 2013 - 9:27 pm

• SierraSeptember 06, 2013 - 7:39 pm

Fran..go to www.edcgov.us then click "Government," then "Departments," then in the middle column see item #5, "Grand Jury" and click. Enjoy.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 06, 2013 - 8:31 pm

Sierra thanks--I have already read this as well...I have read many of the reports from several counties...what I have found is that....money is spent on these reports...but not much is done. Some of the people on these Juries are friends with systems they are suppose to be watch dogging. an example would be on one of the Juries--several of the people were very good friend s with Harper...some of these people are in the "know" of what is happening up here. We are going to lose the little league field because of 9 people who have decided for all of us...they have been in the know for several years. I will personally write each company that grants "trail" money and show how these people do not care about history or the love of parents and friends...that put this whole thing together. It is all connected. CEDAPP--CEDAC--all of it. This is what the new grand jury should look into...all the connections of what these people want. Today I heard how the Parks and Rec were already up here awhile back...I hate manipulation. Sierra...if there is something else you would like to share...I have been following many things in this county...and passing them on...hoping someone will do the right thing. so far no one has. People need to read the parks and trails draft and final...to realise just how much harper has manipulated Pollock Pines. Shame on all of them...CEDAC and CEDAPP. and any one who does not put children up front in their thoughts. The BOS--all of them need to take a stand--stop the garbage between them...and stop these economic groups and their staff...or step down. I hope everyone is really thinking about who to reelect. My email: francescaduchamp@att.net

• Fran DuchampSeptember 06, 2013 - 8:37 pm

Once the parks and rec take over...the field will no longer belong to Pollock Pines...so yep--there will be a park...where we will have to ask when we can play on it...does any one ever read.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 06, 2013 - 8:49 pm

As an independent arm of the court the primary mission of the Grand Jury (Jury) is to represent the Public’s interest including, but not limited to, concerns regarding: County government City government Special districts Local school districts (financial, not curriculum) Annual inspection of the adult jail and juvenile facilities Review adult jail and juvenile facilities policy and procedures Inspection of county buildings Prepare public reports about findings and recommendations The Jury can not investigate: The Courts Other counties Federal or state governments Private citizens Enforcement Pay attention to what the Jury can not do. I would start looking at past Juries--find connections...and have the new jury...indict them all...as a sub system that has corrupted the local government...apparently with some of the local governments blessing.

• SierraSeptember 06, 2013 - 10:23 pm

Fran. When you put together a team of committed people who share a singular vision, wounderous things can happen. Energy and determination become the sparks for true success, and failure ceases to be an option. Please keep standing up and speaking out. It is only with a legion of pillars planted firmly in the heart of the community, that it can survive. More people than you know are working on this. Those who serve themselves at our expense will soon see the tides change. Honesty, integrity, and the spirit of service will prevail.

• BatmaniaSeptember 07, 2013 - 6:59 am

Steers plays coy with us. Yep, he hasn't given a dime to a "bring down Ray" fund which doesn't exist but Pierson got plenty of Steers dimes at campaign time. Dimes are small but 150,000 of them sure add up.

• Fran DuchampSeptember 07, 2013 - 8:41 am

Sierra...well that made me cry. I am going to the baseball field today to watch kids have fun being kids. Harper was behind this whole thing (I have all the paper work)--she does not care about our kids--she is about the power of being in charge...the young adults are going for bright and shiny. She is being allowed to change this whole town. But now she has come too close to my grandson. I am so mad at the selfishness of her and her people. I can not imagine taking something that was a gift to children. I can not imagine going along with the idea. I look at the banners...the shadow boxes...the loss of the tennis court...the library being turned into a joke...and my heart breaks. I will always be me-- there are so many afraid of her...and I dont know why. To me is the bully in the school yard. Friends switched--used me--I wont forget that. Today will be hard--to walk on that field...and know some sold out to Harper...not because they believe in her...because they want more for their baseball kids. They just dont know what the price will be. And my heart feels for them...for the sadness they will feel when they finally understand. Our local government has bought into exactly what has brought down other places in this country...these economic groups of spineless cowards that would take away from children to further their own goals. I know there are many fighting this...I record their faces and voices in my mind. I watch peoples eyes...it has been said that the eyes are the window to the soul. Some have gone dark. Everyone have a day without pain...a moment of laughter...and something to fight for.

• SierraSeptember 07, 2013 - 10:13 am

Fran, don't give up...not yet. Jeannie's is not the only voice in town. Hang on to that paperwork!

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A2, 1 Comment