As someone who doesn’t qualify for any form of government assistance, I have grown accustomed to paying for services I’ll never use. Until today. In the mail I received a very nice trifold brochure from Cal Fire reminding me that I’ll need to perform a defensible space checklist at my home in Pebble Beach.

So now I see where all the money goes. Thank you residents of El Dorado County for paying for this flyer to help educate poor, uh rich, people who have vacation homes there. Now I feel emboldened to cut down that bothersome branch which always seems to be in my way at Monterrey Peninsula Country Club golf course.

It is nice to know that for the low price of just $150 a year you all can sleep better at night, just knowing that people like Charles Schwab, Clint Eastwood, Richie Rich and myself can be better informed regarding fire safety. All snugly in our multimillion-dollar mansions.

For those who might think this to be an unnecessary expenditure for an unfair burdensome tax program, well welcome to my world people!

I don’t want to sound ungrateful, for this is a fine gesture. But maybe next year you can send it directly to my landscaper? For expediency’s sake.

A little inside information: I don’t do lawns.

KEN STEERS
Cameron Park

• DarrinApril 25, 2013 - 3:14 pm

Mr. Steers, I think the tin foil has worn out in your beanie, it might be time to re-line it. If you have time in between your prolific letter writing campaign to the Letters to the Editor.

• JennyMay 03, 2013 - 5:52 am

Mr Steers, I find your comments to be insensitive & racist - The education of others is the obligation of the highest calling. Just because our tax dollars help others outside our county shouldn't ruffle your feathers, as there are plenty of people "living in the shadows" in & around Pebble that need our help. Those potentially avoidable fires allowed to blaze due to easily preventable ignorance, could spread & eventually engulf El Dorado County in a tsunami of Old Testament style death & destruction. I say, cut down that bothersome branch & start doing lawns you pamphlet reading curmudgeon.

• Ken SteersMay 03, 2013 - 10:16 am

Nice Jenny, It's good to see warm hearted caring people like yourself. Who are concerned that the under privileged poor educated individuals who have fallen on hard times and are forced to own vacation homes in Pebble Beach. Cal Fires program of taking monies from home owners in ElDorado county to educate those who live in the shadows of white oaks in Pebble Beach is a fine example of how our government works. Another example of where ElDorado County residents prop 40 tax dollars were maximized to the fullest, is how we all can take comfort knowing that Supervisor Ray Nutting was paid tens of thousands of dollars to reduce wild fires in our state by clearing brush on his own private property. Thumbs up California! I wonder if the same program will pay me for fuels reduction on my Pebble Beach estate? BTW Ray has announce numerous times that he would submit a formal response this week clearing him of any malfeasance regarding that matter. It's now Friday. Anyone see a response from him or his lawyer?

• Snapping DragonMay 03, 2013 - 10:27 am

Steers, You should take yourself and your tude back down south. You fit in better with the other snobs down there.

• Ken SteersMay 03, 2013 - 10:53 am

Tude? Other snobs down south? But I'm from here. Tude sounds like something a "Valley Girl" would say. "Like totally tubaler to the max". SD are you a Valley Girl?

• EDC ResidentMay 03, 2013 - 11:24 am

Clearly Mr. Steers spends a vast majority of his time cruising through the MD website, commenting on most posts' AND even talking time to write an article into the MD about El Dorado county. High five for being "rich", no one really cares.

• Ken SteersMay 03, 2013 - 2:26 pm

Reading the responses by the democrat socialist who posted so far. I can only conclude that redistribution of wealth by the government, for any cause. No matter how unfair and ridiculous is in their cognitive reasoning, a good thing. Even when the government taxes their neighbors a surtax that the people of Pebble Beach do not pay, yet are direct beneficiaries of. I ask my friends, if this isn't taxation without representation what is?

• Dink LaneMay 03, 2013 - 3:20 pm

Ken.... If you are a wealthy as you are implying, then maybe, just maybe, you are educated also.... Your blanket statements: "any form of government assistance" and "redistribution of wealth by the government" makes me DOUBT you read any of the documents written by our FOREFATHERS..... Thomas Paine said (Chap 2 4th paragraph) "As the exalting one man so greatly above the rest cannot be justified on the equal rights"..... (Wrote before about Jefferson's and Adams's letters in1813 about Aristocrat's mischief.) "Aristocratical tyranny" is WHY the called for "Constitution of the PEOPLE".... NOT Commerce .... IN FACT the first TAXES were on Commerce.... BECAUSE THEY COULD AFFORD IT.... One final note.... Yes, I am just as upset about the Fire Tax..... but it has NOTHING to do with "redistribution of wealth by the government"..... It has to do with a LOW-INFORMED VOTER.... who wasn't paying attention..... The "R's" had just as much to do with the Fire Tax as the "D's".... They were just planning this paper not covering it and us not reading about it...

• Ken SteersMay 03, 2013 - 5:26 pm

No dink. You are not real. You do not exist. The Cal fire tax has everything to do with the government redistribution of wealth. In this case it is after tax money, earned by hard working people of our county, predominately (R) voters. Given to people who own vacation villas in Pebble Beach predominately (D) voters as a punishment for being (R) voters. If you have ever read Orwell's the Animal Farm, BTW Orwell was a democrat socialist just like you. You would understand that this form of tyranny isn't new. The book was written in 1943. I wonder dink. Can you stand up right on your own two feet. Because you champion the same rules as the pigs did in the book. Everyone is equal except some are more equal than others. You speak of the low-informed voter as if with disdain. You champion education as if you believe you are supremely educated. You believe that the masses are inferior to your intellect. How do you know just how smart you actually are? How would you rate your intellect if everyone else is inferior. Unless the establishment has ordained you. I surmise that you dink are a shill for the establishment. That is why you champion the democrat socialist party. A "self righteous taker" from others. An apologist for this failed and corrupt government. And that is why you can't possibly reveal your true identity. Because you fear reprisal still yet from those who will stand up against what you have help create. Oh and FU Darrin you freak'n Canadian.

• cookie65May 04, 2013 - 10:11 am

Dink, the redistribution of wealth is the lifeblood of government. They aren't spending their money. There are so many different forms of public service announcements (PSA's) that most people don't even notice them. Yet they cost the taxpayers billions. The money California spends advertising food stamps (California Fresh is how they are disguised)would pay for the Whitehouse tours to reopen.

• cookie65May 04, 2013 - 10:27 am

Ken, it sounds as though some on here are taking your letter as tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps they aren't aware that you have people on speed dial who don't have published numbers. And it doesn't go to voice mail.

• Ken SteersMay 04, 2013 - 2:56 pm

Cookie, LOL true! Have you ever tried to contact me before? Not an easy task. It drives the politicians bonkers. Those who know me understand that I am unapologetic of my success. I believe that this country is the last best place on earth where someone like me can become someone like me. The question is when is something worth fighting for? That's an individual's decision based on many factors. Not too long ago a small group of people felt that taxation with out representation was worth fighting for their freedom against the most powerful country in the world. I believe they are right.

• cookie65May 04, 2013 - 4:14 pm

Ken, in many ways the taxpayers are the last to be represented at all. And others get their representation with their political contributions if they bet on the winning horse. The simple fact that wealth is spread by creating more of it gets lost on those who view everything thru envy. I long for the days of EQUAL representation.

• Ken SteersMay 04, 2013 - 6:15 pm

Yeah but Cookie I bet (R) and that's like betting green on a roulette wheel in this state. Also few have been as critical of the California Republican Party as I have. I have no loyalty to our fiscally liberal members who run our party. The problem seems to be today that we are electing people into an office in which the only constituent the politician cares about is his/her self.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 7:18 pm

lololol...didnt see this before--too funny.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 7:25 pm

cookie...it was funny to me...and sad. I had a Spanish teacher in college who would stare out the window while in Spanish would talk about how the landscapers made more them him--and how they were doing it wrong. I learned a lot about landscaping that year in Spanish. Nice man--he burned out one semester. I do not know if he ever came back...I liked him.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 7:31 pm

I dont think Ken sounds like a "snob"...this is well written. There are people who have money that are "nice"...and just living their life. Are there any answers to all these political questions? The way I was taught is falling apart and it is truly frightening to me.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 7:52 pm

Could someone explain these constant references to "tin" hats--please

• cookie65May 04, 2013 - 8:14 pm

Francesca, maybe he traded his teaching certificate for a leaf blower. I think most of the kids would be better served if many of the so-called teachers were doing yard work and some of those doing yard work were in the classroom. The reason we are creating so many kids with no marketable skills is because you can't teach what you don't know.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 8:23 pm

Cookie I agree...I know many very qualified people that would be excellent teachers--but they dont have the "paper" to allow them. My grandfather went to college--but he said the best education was learning under a master. He was a master machinist before he retired. He said that he watched many highly qualified people let go--because they didnt have formal degrees--he felt it was all garbage--he said in his day...people who were masters taught the younger ones to a certain point and let them go to fly on their own.

• cookie65May 04, 2013 - 8:25 pm

"Tin hats" is really tinfoil hats. Leftists can't dispute the historical failure of leftism so anyone who makes reference to it gets tarnished or branded by them. The tin foil hat is an implication that anyone who disagrees with them must be getting their information from outer-space because everyone knows how leftists are the smartest people on the planet. It is the same tactic they use with the global warming fraud. Anyone who knows global warming is a fraud gets labeled as not wanting clean air and water. They do the same thing with obama, his only ability is to read what ever gets put in front of him and he does pronounce most of the words correctly and he is able to blame everyone else for the results of his policies. But if you make any mention of it you are a racist.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 04, 2013 - 8:44 pm

Thank you cookie...I just met someone who said they actual wore tin foil under their hat because of the cellphone waves in the air--im sure my face looked as confused as I felt. It is one of the few times I didnt know what to say. But their next statement referred to the air in their house--they felt they should be able to sue the cell phone companies for the waves in their house. They seemed normal at first. I had nothing to say, so I said it was nice talking with them and left.

• cookie65May 05, 2013 - 5:23 am

Francesca, I do believe there is a simple solution or at least a step in the right direction as far as the failures of the schools goes. All teachers should be required to have a minimum of 5 years work experience in the private sector before they are ever allowed in a classroom. That same principle should be applied to the entire public sector including public office.

• cookie65May 05, 2013 - 5:58 am

Francesca, there are conspiracy theorists who believe the government is conducting mind control with radio waves. They also protect themselves with tinfoil hats. They have a lot in common with the people who believe we can control the weather.

• EvelynMay 05, 2013 - 7:41 am

"Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025" - HERE - A Research Paper Presented To Air Force 2025 by Col Tamzy J. House, Lt Col James B. Near, Jr., LTC William B. Shields (USA), Maj Ronald J. Celentano, Maj David M. Husband, Maj Ann E. Mercer, Maj James E. Pugh - August 1996

• Ken SteersMay 05, 2013 - 8:12 am

Lady's, your capitalism is showing. The suggestion 5 years work experience to be a teacher would be thrown out ad hoc by the Left. For me it is just plain common sense for one to accumulate as many life skills as you can to better prepare yourself. But many believe that Capitalism in it's own right is wrong. And out of date. Many are never taught the merits of sweat equity. Many today don't know what that means. You learn a lot by swinging a hammer or pushing a broom. Our own Congressman for example has never held a job in the private sector. Yet we all vote him in as our Representative. Yes 5 years life experience would be naturally beneficial for everyone. Especially those who are paid to educate our young or represent us in Washington. The powers that be don't tend to agree with that philosophy.

• Ken SteersMay 05, 2013 - 8:23 am

I think people use the word "tin" because it's easier to spell than aluminum. Easier to say also. You can not find tinfoil any longer. And aluminum won't prevent the government from reading my thoughts. Can you explain to my why in our Judea/Christian culture, of the 10 commandments 1 is to not "covet"? Don't even think about that one? With the reality of Socialism as a religion. I wonder when the government will begin managing and taxing ones thought? Are they already?

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 8:24 am

cookie I so agree. People who dictate what is taught in a classroom of 35 different personalities should have to teach for five. I have a few teacher friends that work with the little ones...and they just feel for these kids who have no understanding "yet" of what is expected of them (most are not cognitively ready)--but the government keeps saying--do more. Second grade seems to get harder and harder for these little ones--yet the results by high school are not improving. Teachers understand what is wrong--but the people who mandate Curriculum --do not.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 8:33 am

Ken--thank you.. "I think people use the word "tin" because it's easier to spell than aluminum. Easier to say also." lolol--this makes even more sense.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 8:48 am

Okay--had to do it...I looked at the ten commandments and reversed the order of them using the idea of "covet" first. I wont dwell on my personal thoughts--but it was interesting thinking about the commandments from that point of view.

• EvelynMay 05, 2013 - 9:31 am

Mention of education upstairs on this thread reminded me of my recent awareness of the COMMON CORE curriculum. Perhaps everyone else already knows about it. But for anyone who doesn't - HERE - "Obama trying to take over public education with 'common core' curriculum that teaches socialism"

• EvelynMay 05, 2013 - 9:35 am

The Common Core website HERE - Click on the map. California has adopted Common Core standards.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 9:55 am

When someone looks at the math standards--please keep in mind there are other subjects through out the day...and the amount of time of a school year. Second is when "star" testing begins--I have seen second graders burst into tears just being read the directions for the testing process. If you know a little one, ask them how they feel about state testing--then find an older child--ask them. Some middle school kids get severe stomach aches. Teachers will tell them that they should not worry about the scores--that they are markers for the teachers...to let them know what they need to focus on next year. Doesnt matter young people have their own gossip mill--and some believe these scores are life and death to their whole academic careers.

• Ken SteersMay 05, 2013 - 10:27 am

Did you know that civics is no longer taught in High School. Teachers do not understand how government works. They can't tell you the difference between local government, state and the Fed. It's impossible to have a political discussion with someone who doesn't understand how or why it functions.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 11:23 am

Ken...Civics is crammed into History and Social Science. http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/histsocscistnd.pdf. I believe they still teach American Government in High School as its own subject...however it will still fall under History and Social Sciences Standards. and yes cookie--much is left out/slanted--how ever one chooses to phrase it. 8th graders used to have to pass a basic "constitution test before entering high school in California. I have been away from the system for seven years.

• James E.May 05, 2013 - 12:02 pm

You have to wonder if they teach Government in schools anymore. Can most young people tell us the three branches of government, their federal representative and senators, how many judges on the Supreme Court, and the number of senators? But, they can tell you all the rap artists.

• R.J. CarterMay 05, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Cursive is also no longer being taught in school and I sometimes wonder how kids sign their names on important documents. ......Instead of having a nice signature, I'd hate to think future generations will just be going around making "their mark" like cave-dwellers...A letter written with a nice fountain pen in cursive, while being a beautiful thing, is all but a lost art....Kinda seems like education going backwards...P.S....I'd bet 60% of those reading this post couldn't re-write it in cursive and that's sad..

• James E.May 05, 2013 - 4:03 pm

R.J., wasn't it called the Palmer Method in our day? During one of Lindsey Lohan's many trials the TV camera picked up the visual of one of her notes and it went on the internet. The young set commented that she had the most beautiful penmanship. I looked it up -- her note was printed!!!

• James E.May 05, 2013 - 4:22 pm

R.J., thinking more about the battle of San Jacinto. General Santa Ana was not a nice guy and it was his policy to kill those who were captured. Think at the Alamo he spared only a woman, a child, and one old guy. All others were executed. Also, there was another battle during that period (cannot remember the name) where a great number (350?) of Americans were executed. The battle of San Jacinto was over quickly (20 minutes?), with only about 8 Texans killed and a very small number of Mexicans (50?). However, the Texans are reputed to have then said, "Let's take prisoners like the Mexicans do." Hundreds and hundreds were taken "prisoner" and the final toll was 8 Americans and around 700 Mexicans killed. The Texans got their revenge. Unknown to me whether they lined them up, but think the Mexicans were fleeing and the Texans killed them in pursuit. The war crime of killing prisoners was not codified until the early 1900s.

• R.J. CarterMay 05, 2013 - 6:21 pm

Col...Interesting side-note..Historians disagree on just how Davey Crockett died at the Alamo...Some say he died fighting in the barracks and when found he was surrounded by 17 dead Mexican solders ...Others swear he was among the 7 Texans that surrendered at end of the battle and were executed by Santa Anna...Know one seems to know which account is accurate, but personally I feel the 700 at San Jacinto got what was coming to em........

• cookie65May 05, 2013 - 6:50 pm

R.J. I have a book on the Alamo that I bought at the Alamo, 13 The Book of Days. It is a collaboration of 3 authors. It has David Crockett being one of 7 who survived the battle and was executed by sword along with the others at the hands of some officers who did not participate in the battle itself. They were following orders from Santa Anna who was still really pissed that they had disgraced his family when they had defeated his brother-in-law.

• cookie65May 05, 2013 - 6:52 pm

There is good news. All those kids with no marketable skills who are set to graduate in another month won't really be missing out since after 4 1/2 years of obama there aren't any jobs for them anyway. Leftism coming full circle.

• Kirk W MacKenzieMay 05, 2013 - 7:45 pm

The Battle of San Jacinto wasn't the brave-fest some might think. The Tejicans attacked at dawn, by surprise. Their confidence was bolstered by the fact that they sent a herd of...friendly...women bearing lots of liquor the night before. BTW, I'm from Texas...or as some might call it, Baja Oklahoma.

• cookie65May 05, 2013 - 9:00 pm

Francesca, here is how the "tinfoil hat" is used. obama tells a bunch of Ohio State grads to reject talk of government tyranny. By implication those doing to talking are a bunch of tinfoil hats. The reality is none of these kids have lived under conditions where the government didn't feel it was its purpose to dictate what size soda they can buy so the kids really don't know any different. To them that isn't tyranny, it is just the government looking out for them. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/05/05/obama_to_ohio_state_grads_reject_voices_that_warn_about_government_tyranny.html

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 05, 2013 - 9:22 pm

That was scary cookie. But true...I have heard some of these economic group people talk about how wonderful that the county is finally listening and providing the money in order to fix problems--they must not have read their own memo, talking about wanting less government involvement and more community governance. (shhhhhhh dont tell them) They crave these grant monies...it is becoming an addiction.

• James E.May 05, 2013 - 9:38 pm

Kirk, I understand they attacked at siesta, not in the early morning. And, yes a surprise attack (which is one of the best kind). Reported that General Santa Ana was taking his siesta with a lady.

• Kirk W MacKenzieMay 06, 2013 - 5:43 am

James -- History appears to agree with you. All this time I thought it was Texan cleverness that won the day, but it looks like it was Santa Anna's arrogance/laziness that made the difference. Thanks for disabusing me of that notion.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment