The craziness of guns

The senseless shooting of Trayvon Williams in Florida made our local news the same night that Fresno reported its 14th homicide of the year. At present rate, Fresno can look forward to 60-plus homicides by the end of 2012.

For the sake of perspective, I looked up Fresno County’s population in 2009: 479,000. During that year, it recorded 45 “willful homicides,” almost entirely by firearms. During the same period, England and Wales, with a population of 53,000,000, recorded 40 cases of homicide, almost entirely by firearms.

In spite of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, the firearms industry, and its amen corner in the NRA and the Mountain Democrat, continue to deny the facts: The more guns are in circulation and the more lax the gun laws, the more homicides you will have. All the Florida legislators who voted for the “stand your ground” law ought to be held accessories to the murder of Trayvon Williams.

JOHN C. GARON

Placerville

• Jim RiordanMarch 30, 2012 - 1:48 pm

Garon, I love your heading . . "the Craziness of Guns" . .Guns can never be crazy since they cannot think. Most or all of the homicides you refer to were likely caused by people who also lack the ability to think. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Garon, do us all a favor, If you are ever attacked, please, as you shout for "help" also shout, "I hate guns and gunowners", that way people who feel differently will know to just turn their back, walk away, and let you talk to the nice attackers and ask them in a kind manner to "please don't hurt me" . . yeah, I'm sure they will listen and heed your plea.

• RebelApril 02, 2012 - 4:52 am

Stupid is as stupid does and you can't fix stupid, Jim great reply....

• DarrinApril 02, 2012 - 8:08 am

Mr. Riordan, while you may take a literal interpretation of the title, the point of the title is still true and understood that the gun is not crazy, but the access to the gun. Mr. Garon has a point that the free and easy access to these weapons leads to a higher murder rate. While you may use the tired cliche that guns don't kill people, you are wrong, they do. At a much higher rate in the US than any other first world country that does NOT have access to them. Here locally, if Morris Greenberg didn't have a gun that day, do you think Anthony Dumont would be dead, or just have a black eye? @Rebel, you are exactly correct, Stupid is as stupid does. You could not have said it better.

• LeeApril 02, 2012 - 8:18 am

So do you know what happened in Florida Mr Garon? No you don't, no one does that is why it is still under investigation. A typical liberal response to any gun story that makes news.

• Jethro McSwiftApril 02, 2012 - 11:11 am

MR Garon, I respect your passive approach toward self defense. Please respect my decision to personally participate in my own defense by all means necessary should the need arise. (Given the chance I WILL dial 911 before I shoot – I promise)

• James E.April 02, 2012 - 11:43 am

Not to make a too fine point, but guns don't kill people, bullets kill people. As a comic once put it, let people have all the guns they want, but the cost of one round of ammo $5,000. That way, shooters will take care when deciding when to spend $5,000 per shot. Shootings will undoubtedly decrease. There would be a black market, but life is never easy with watertight solutions.

• Jack MartinApril 02, 2012 - 2:12 pm

And yet another Progressive (Garon) jumps onto the media-generated-and-hyped Trayvon Martin bandwagon to exploit whatever pet cause they want to advance. In Garon's case, Gun Control. 2nd Amendment be damned.

• Dink LaneApril 02, 2012 - 2:39 pm

Jim is right, "Guns don't kill people" but Jim you have to admit that it is a great tool to actually kill someone. These special bullets that tear-up the insides do a much better job than a knife or club. A NYPD Homicide Detective told me a DOG does a better job in protecting your home and family than any gun.... and like he said "It's more accurate." A police Captain in Kansas told me that "Wyatt Earp did not allow anyone to wear their guns in town when he was Marshall." It's funny, people who really know about guns, don't think EVERYONE should have a gun and if they do have a gun they defiantly NOT have it with them ALL the time. Only fools and politicians think otherwise.

• Dink LaneApril 02, 2012 - 2:47 pm

Lee--I know what happened in the Travon Martin case........ A man shot and killed a 17-yr-old.......... and justice system LET him WALK.... NO TRIAL, NO JURY......... Article III Sec. 2 of the US Constitution "The judicial power shall extend to ALL cases in law.".............. Why are the Tea-Party people asking for their country back in this one?

• Sean OApril 02, 2012 - 4:49 pm

Criminals will always find a way to commit a crime. Before spouting off that guns are bad, and providing useless facts which are unsupported, please note, there are over 80 million gun owners in the US. It is the extreme minority of people who misuse a gun. They don't follow any laws unlike the rest of us. You can ban all the guns you want, the criminals will still find and use them. The Treyvon case is still open, and you don't have all the facts with what happened. So please don't post alarmist / fear-mongering letters in the paper. It is obvious that global warming will kill us all first. Please go wear your tinfoil hat and hide in a closet.

• HLApril 02, 2012 - 5:48 pm

Mr. JOHN C. GARON might as well put a sign in his yard saying " Rob me, I have no Firearms", unless the good sir does own Firearms which makes him a Hypocrite or Democrat, they are interchangeable these days. The bitch is back, deal with it.

• HLApril 02, 2012 - 6:37 pm

MR.JOHN C. GARON might as well hang a sign in front of his house " Please rob me, I have no Firearms on this property", unless Mr Garon does have Firearms which makes him a hypocrite or Democrat, same thing these days.

• Ken SteersApril 02, 2012 - 7:00 pm

The murder rate in California has dropped 25% between 2001 and today. I don't know why Garon is using Fresno's murder rate, Wales for that matter either. Maybe he's looking for a vacation spot. The majority of murders in California are committed by Hispanic males between the ages of 18-25. Attorneys General Harris's site list these as gang related. With the lack of cognitive reasoning, low regard for facts or his fellow man for that matter. I can only thank god almighty that Garon is not in a position of authority. Also I love it when a Socialist Zealot uses phrases like "incontrovertible evidence to the contrary". The famous words of many a judge in jolly old England before someone was sentenced to death for being a heretic.

• Jim RiordanApril 02, 2012 - 11:09 pm

One other little tidbit for thought. When Diannne Feinstein was mayor of SF years ago, she was pushing a Prop for the ballot banning all guns in the city limits. I asked my wife, who works with me, to please try to get Feinstein on the phone. The mayor actually took the call and I brought up two points to her.The first was that she was causing more danger to the city's citizens, since people who owned guns and knew the proper and safe handling of them, would now refrain from using their weapon and knowledge to help their neighbors for fear of being prosecuted for gun ownership within her crime ridden city. My second point was to explain that when people went to prison, the most common "job training" was to send them to the wood shop or the machine shop. I explained that as the owner of a machine shop, with mills, lathes and other specialty tools, a decent machinist could make a simple handgun within a few days from commonly available metal suppliers within the city limits, so throwing all the guns into the Bay would do nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals. She did not get it. Imagine my surprise. People like Garon don't get it either. I owned a machine and sheet metal facility for years and I could make a gun in a few hours . . . so could any good machinist I know. So, by limiting availability of guns, the only people you are hurting are the average good citizens who wish to have protection for their family and lack simple machining skills. CNC shops (computer numerically controlled) facilities can set up and turn out many simple guns in one day, so as long as there are machines and people who can use them, there will be guns. Sorry to spoil your fantasy Garon, but you have two choices. Either control and license honest citizens to own guns, or take them from all the honest citizens and look down the barrel of one made by a dishonest citizen with no hope of saving yourself. To me you are just an unknowing bufoon living in dreamland.

• Richard C whiteApril 03, 2012 - 4:37 am

Good to see some common sense replys to the notion of gun ownership being bad. We are allowed our guns by law, if a person is a good enough citizen. Plain and simple. Good citizens who are gun owners only use the weapon for self defense, its intended purpose. Crminals will always have guns so why in the world would you want to give them the upper hand?

• IDon'tOwnaGunApril 03, 2012 - 7:22 am

"Using the Treyvon saga to go after the right to self-defense and the right to keep and bear arms will not work. ... It is the government that should not be trusted with guns. The BATF will raid a house of a home with a person who has a thousand rounds of ammunition and a few rifles. On the six o'clock news, the feds will call it an arsenal. When the government buys 450 million rounds, it is preparation. ... There have been abuses by government agents working for the IRS, the FBI, DEA, Homeland Security and the BATF over the years when the use of force was not necessary. They break their own laws we would go to prison for. So tell me, who is the threat? Is it us or them with the guns? They break down doors with no knock warrants in the middle of the night, with a good number of those searches being the wrong house. ... It is time for Real Gun control which is the People disarming the government of their guns they are abusing the American people with. The government has too many guns and too many people who are mentally unstable who should not get a gun and a badge in the first place. The only federal agents who should have guns are the Federal Marshals, the Secret Service ,the Treasury Department and the Border patrol, which are constitutional functions that require the agents to be armed. The other alphabet soup agencies should not be armed because they are not constitutional. For many years, the FBI agents did not carry firearms. ... Lawful Federal agents are armed because the people delegated the right to keep and bear arms to these hired officers to perform a function for the safety and security of the nation." http://lonestarwatchdog.blogspot.com/2012/04/real-gun-control-is-people-disarming.html

• James E.April 03, 2012 - 8:54 am

Reference Mr. Riordan's comment about Senator Feinstein. The Senator is alleged to carry a concealed weapon -- probably due to her San Francisco experience. And, Mr. Garon is a buffoon? How does that add to the argument? Mr. Garon has his opinion, Mr. Riordan has his opinion. Are they both buffoon? Methinks not.

• DarrinApril 04, 2012 - 6:17 am

Maybe I just don't get it. According to Mr. Jim Riordan and Mr. Ken Steers, the more guns you have the safer you are. So with this thinking. Every US Citizen who comes of age should be handed a gun and a bottle of liquor. In a society that has NO guns, people will make them in machine shops anyway, so we may as well make them legal for all. It amazes me when you guys call each other names. We are adults and you resort to calling someone a buffoon? Statements like "Socialist Zealot uses phrases like "incontrovertible evidence to the contrary"." are asinine. Really, can you dispute the FACTS that higher gun ownership leads to a higher mortality rate in a society? Please show me those statistics, it would be eye opening. So somehow you can dispute that "Violent death rates for countries". where the US has at 7 and Canada is at 0.68 deaths. This puts the US in the league with Brazil, Mexico, and Estonia. Why do I compare the US with Canada, other than the fact that I am a Socialist, Fear-mongering, Buffoon, I am a Canadian. Canada is very similar society to the US in many ways except that the US has 6 times as many guns in the hands of its citzens. US Percent of households with a handgun 29%, Canada 5%. So lets suppose there are just as many crafty metal shop workers in Canada per capita, why aren't gun deaths higher? I guess the few hours it takes to make a gun in your metal shop may distract you enough to NOT KILL ANOTHER HUMAN??? What if the fact that criminals having guns is negligible? What if the few amount of criminal acts that result in murder wont be stopped but the thousands more per year that are the result of kids shooting each other accidentally, angry spouses, bar fights, etc. that just had access to a gun did stop. Would that be a bad thing?

• Ken SteersApril 04, 2012 - 6:59 am

I think Darrin needs to read my remarks again. California's murder rate has dropped 25% these past 10 years. Then go to Attorneys General Harris's site and peruse the information on it. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed by a small portion of our population. Almost entirely committed gang and drug related. If you remove the gang/drug related gun crimes from the stats one will see that the US rate is lower actually than Canada. I for one do not see disarming a law abiding citizen for self preservation as the proper answer to resolving gang issues.

• DarrinApril 04, 2012 - 7:17 am

So Mr. Steers, are you saying that the US should adjust for gang/drug related gun crimes but that Canada should not? Or are you just comparing California with Canada as there are similar populations? Not sure what you mean. Can you give some specifics and numbers?

• DarrinApril 04, 2012 - 7:26 am

I went to that site as you suggested, Mr. Steers, when you state "Almost entirely committed gang and drug related" is this from the following statement on the ag.ca.gov site? So when you say "almost entirely", do you mean by Almost 1 FULL Percentage POINT MORE??? Is that a majority in your view? Of the homicides where the contributing circumstance was known, 36.1 percent were gang-related and 35.4 percent were the result of an argument. When the victim-offender relationship was identified, the largest proportion of victims (44.4 percent) were killed by friends... http://ag.ca.gov/cjsc/publications/homicide/hm10/preface.pdf?

• Ken SteersApril 04, 2012 - 10:28 am

Darin, If you take California as a whole and lump Fresno, Oakland and L.A. with the 17 northern counties, one could come to the conclusion that Placerville and Lake Tahoe have a high murder rate also due to guns. I read someone that Placer County a county with a population 4 times larger than ours, had one gun related murder last year. Also you list the rather homogeneous country of Canada with it's draconian hand gun laws as a country the US ought to use as an example. One might point out that per capita Canadians have one of the largest percentages of gun ownership in the world. So I strongly believe that the 2nd amendment is even more necessary today than ever for law abiding citizens. Simply for self preservation. Possibly the best example why would be the US government paying know drug dealers and gang members to purchase fir arms in large quantities with no known practical stated purpose...

• DarrinApril 04, 2012 - 10:56 am

Mr. Steers, stating "...Canadians have one of the largest percentages of gun ownership in the world." does not make it true, does it?? Guns per 100 residents (2007) #1 United States 88.8 #13 Canada 30.8. And of those, they are not easily concealable handguns, most are hunting rifles. So lets cherry pick the states and counties we want to compare. I say Oalkand has 1,000,000 times higher death rate compared to Inuvik, N.W.T. I read someone that Placer County a county with a population 4 times larger than ours, had one gun related murder last year. "Simply for self preservation." Where are you going? Where is the revolution, Mr. Steers? ...Canada with it's draconian hand gun laws. So having a limit on easily concealed, deadly weapons is draconian? I sure feel safer in Draconia, then. Handguns are used in murders, many times.

• Ken SteersApril 04, 2012 - 4:14 pm

Darrin, Canada is #13 out of 178 in gun ownership in the world does make my statement true. Cherry picking Oakland for 100 mile house is like cherry picking Oakland for Placerville. Garon cherry picked Fresno. Would his story make any sense if he were to rail against the murder rate in Tahoe City? Please understand that gun violence is down 25% in California in the last 10 years. There is not a hand gun violence problem in El Dorado County or Placer County. Why should I give away my 2nd amendment right? Are you really scared walking the streets Darrin? Go buy a gun then take a class. You might feel better.

• DarrinApril 04, 2012 - 6:36 pm

Ken, I can assure you that adding another gun to the streets is not the answer. Unfortunately, the right to keep and bear arms only covers the Citizens of the US, of which I am not. While I understand the intent of the law, much like in Switzerland, where the citizenry has rifles. I think the gun nuts in the US have used that to arm themselves and make this the deadliest country in the world to live in. Regardless that the homicide rate has drop 2% a year for the last decade. Handguns that are easily concealed lead to an increase in homicides. If you dispute that then I am afraid there is no point in continuing this discussion.

• James E.April 06, 2012 - 10:05 am

Thought as this thread comes to an end: John Garon is a man who has served his nation with distinction. How about his detractors?

• Jack MartinApril 06, 2012 - 10:48 am

Whatever service Garon performed on behalf of this country has been more than offset by his continual streams of poisonous diatribes and de facto endorsements of socialism. The very simple fact that he still declares Jimmy Carter was a good president ought to cast doubt in his judgment, at the very least. As a 20-year marine corps vet and officer once told me, a citizen can serve their country in a greta many ways that do not involve wearing a uniform or living overseas. That said, I did serve 18 months as a civilian with the Marines in a Tactical Assistance Group, even did some field ops. Great challenge and great fun. Had I been more mature, I would have dropped my materially oriented civilian life and signed up for real. But as for Garon and his like minded ilk, any time one of the consitutionally guaranteed freedoms comes under assault, we can count on him (and them) to be leading the charge.

• James E.April 06, 2012 - 11:57 am

Materially oriented civilian life versus military service says it all. OK, who's next.

• Jack MartinApril 06, 2012 - 5:12 pm

Awwww, you dimiss my contributions so easily, James, without knowing the fuller story. Are you at all interested in the fact that in my youthful, materially oriented life, I also was an electornics engineer for Hughes Aircraft? And in that capacity, was on two critical programs involving airborn radar (namely the B-2 and the F-14D) that certainly made military pilots more effective and safe? Naaaaa, you're probably not. If someone didn't serve in a capacity you deem worthy, then they just didn't serve.

• HLApril 06, 2012 - 5:21 pm

Hello Jack Martin, I hope all is well with you. It would appear that James Straw man is on fire.

• HLApril 06, 2012 - 6:24 pm

So James my dear, Are you saying that my first 15 years of my adult life that I spent holding the hands of the dying, caring for the Elderly, Autistic and Mentally Challenged is not equal to your experience because it lacks Military? If this high school drop out ran half a multi million dollar business ( back end, Inventory to Engineering) making a profit while employing people who needed jobs, I am not equal to your standards of service to this Country. I did this as a single mother that raised responsible successful young men. Your arrogance leaves me dumbfounded and thinking.

• James E.April 07, 2012 - 9:19 am