Those ‘special’ drivers

I have come to the conclusion that our county has a large population of “special” drivers. These special drivers are able to straddle the double yellow lines on our curvy country roads. Yesterday, on March 5, I was nearly hit head-on by one of these special drivers on Pleasant Valley Road. The special drivers also feel they do not need to stop at stop signs. They just keep on rolling through the stop sign without even coming close to stopping. Who is giving these “special” people their Special Driving Permits? If you know the answer to this maybe you could confirm what I already suspect. The criteria for these “special” permits is that one must drive like a donkey’s posterior and not care about anyone’s safety, not even their own.

WILLIAM HOWE
Placerville

• cookie65March 08, 2013 - 6:54 am

Eventually you will reach the conclusion that I have. In their mind they are the only people on the planet. No on else exists. They are the phantom drivers that cause a 5 car pile up behind them and keep going because they don't even know it happened. You could steal their rearview mirror and they would never notice it was gone. Drive thru the Shenandoah Valley on a Sunday afternoon. Those idiot flatlanders stop right in the middle of the road to read the winery signs.

• R.J. CarterMarch 08, 2013 - 7:51 am

Cookies correct, those weekend flat-landers do get a little dangerous when they miss a turnoff to a winery, but I think what Mr Howe might be experiencing is a few "special" locals.. I've noticed over the years that because some folks (who live out in the sticks) are begrudgingly forced to drive the same long boring mountain road each day they will naturally begin to drive that road faster and faster, while paying less attention to it...When folks familiarity of a twisty mountain road breeds contempt for it's speed limit bad things begin to happen, and no one sees it more than those of us on motorcycles....

• chrispytahoeMarch 08, 2013 - 8:49 am

cookiecrumble I for one am sick of your 'flatlander' 'leftist' 'idiot' comments. Ever drive on Mosquito road? The local redneck dingbats drive that road like they think they was in nascar. I can just as easily call you a flatlander, as you live in the foothills, not the real mountains. I watch idiots from Placerfolsomrosevilletucky cause all kinds of mayhem up here. You all stop in the middle of the road to watch bears and snap pictures of the lake. Please crawl back to your holler.

• DB SmithMarch 08, 2013 - 9:07 am

Chrispy, will 'real mountain man' 'leftist' 'idiot' work for you? I remember years ago the MD had a fun survey on something like "what is a flat-lander". The answers were hilarious and I don't think anybody wanted to be one.

• DB SmithMarch 08, 2013 - 10:38 am

Chrisp, it's a burn day down here in the flat lands of Placerville. I want to perform a test and send you a smoke signal from Placerville to Tahoe. Please let me know if you receive the message. I'm off to find a blanket.

• cookie65March 08, 2013 - 11:22 am

Be sick all you want, it won't change the fact that we have been overrun with flatlander leftist idiots. You live closer to highway 50 than I do. Just like all the flatlander transplants. When you throw a rock over a fence it is the hit dog that yelps. When I mention flatlander leftist idiots you raise your hand. Not exactly "mountain man" thinking if you ask me.

• cookie65March 08, 2013 - 11:27 am

From now on I will only refer to chrispy as yuppie. So don't include yourself when say something about the flatlander leftist idiots. Will that help you with your identity crisis?

• kggMarch 08, 2013 - 4:53 pm

we live off mosquito road - it's not tourists that i see driving poorly.

• DB SmithMarch 08, 2013 - 5:29 pm

Chrisp, It was a little windy today while I was burning but I think I got your "message" off. Did you see it? It was about a 150' vertical shaft of smoke with two circular plumes of smoke at the bottom. One of the plumes was a little lower than the other due to windage. Enjoy.

• DB SmithMarch 08, 2013 - 5:54 pm

And~to the little prick that sent that to my email...believe me, I do know some very good IT and computer geeks that will connect the dots if needed. You are SPAM now so if I were you I wouldn't do it again punk!

• tom simpsonMarch 10, 2013 - 6:15 pm

We all know the "special" drivers are the (usually)white oversized pickups. Not one scratch on them so they obviously are not used for hauling anything. Just a wig for a bald personality. I have been ran into oncoming traffic on Clay street several times by "that guy". and yes they are locals.