Friday, April 18, 2014

Wagon Train

Jeanne Harper has asked people to write the newspaper on her behalf, so you got an informative letter and a nasty negative. Is Jeanne running for some self-appointed position? Why is she hanging with Norma the supervisor? Why is Norma not spending time with the Pollock Pines/Camino Chamber of Commerce and Community Center? I don’t understand the dismissive attitude of CEDAPP, it could have joined the Chamber of Commerce, which was here first. Why competition? The Chamber of Commerce is only interested in promoting businesses for locals’ convenience and community, which many of us take for granted. Our businesses and locals work very hard to give us a decent little town, it takes a lot of time, money, supplies and donations, which everyone can contribute in a willing way.

I’m the Indian greeter during Wagon Train; it is a delight to make people happy. It’s amazing what a smile and handshake will accomplish. After 38 years, this will be my last year. Politics ruined the Wagon Train that was such a joyful memory. People came from everywhere, it was a community celebration, with music, dance and food, and many social organizations had their vendor booths and crafts. The old timers knew what to do; I wish they would come help so our community can know what community is and children can actually participate in past history.

We locals know how to put on the Wagon Train function, but people like those in CEDAPP and the supervisor figured they know best. So people stepped back. Politics devastated such a great event, going from anticipation to no subsidizing their small amount of funds for Wagon Train expenses and entertainment to the community (one day was too much). Please come help the Wagon Train people so they know their long journey is appreciated. You see, we have great people here.

Supervisor Norma, Tahoe needs your attention more. Tahoe is a devastated mess, and you should appreciate the locals instead of the tourists’ buck. So now they close schools which means families must move so a lot less taxes coming in. By the way, Wagon Train still travels from Nevada clear through Tahoe. Do you take care of Wagon Train there?

At one time it was a lot of fun. It can be again. Leave the people alone; we don’t need any dictators. Does any of the motel tax go to the Wagon Train?

DOROTHEA FALKENSTIEN
Pollock Pines

• cookie65May 06, 2013 - 8:22 am

President Ronald Reagan had a small plaque on his desk in the Oval Office that read, "There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit." We are now being represented by "its all about me" politicians starting with the highest office in the land.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 9:57 am

I do not know why people are not honoring our place Ms. Dorothea...people can be cruel sometimes. I have told people that the Wagon Train--logging days are our "identity." We are a lumber town--rich in history. I was at the Community Center on Friday--and the Wagon Train Folk are always so much fun. This place of ours still has the spirit of the wild west...and I honor all of you. Our next meeting is May 15th--at the Community Center...I invite everyone. I will put this article out there...I hope more people come to the meeting. Fran I honor your spirit for speaking up.

• cookie65May 06, 2013 - 10:43 am

Francesca, I read something recently but I can't seem to find it. So here is something that is on the same subject, Mutton Bustin. As far as the left is concerned all of our history is the story of pillage and greed, the rape of the natural world, the destruction of everything in our path and does not need to be celebrated. http://www.sharkonline.org/?P=0000001041

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 11:14 am

cookie65 thanks...I just honor these wagon train people--their heart and spirit for what they believe in. For me--it helps me remember a time passed. The wild west. Was our history always pleasant-no. But what courage to come to nothing and build a "home"...the people on sat--were laughing, bonding and remembering--they are "family." All these groups use the word "community" --yet, I dont believe they know what the word really means...and I feel bad for them.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 11:17 am

sorry the event was on sat--I wrote fri...

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 11:21 am

These Economic groups are ignoring what the people want. Less than 1% is not a whole community.

• Underserved TaxpayerMay 06, 2013 - 11:51 am

How about some background information on whatever it is you are writing about OP? The wagon train, the BOS, one BOS member, Tahoe?? Not a very clear letter unless you are in the know.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 12:14 pm

Underserved Taxpayer, this is a sneior who has been in the Wagon Train for 39 years. I would mind your manners.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 12:15 pm

senior-sorry I just cant imagine picking on her. She is one of their own--I would back off.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 06, 2013 - 12:18 pm

Underserved Taxpayer: I understood exactly what she was talking about--and if you knew anything about our community--you would as well. This is our history. So once again--pick on me...leave this honorable lady alone.

• MelodyMay 06, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Memories of the good old days...I moved to Coloma in 1998 when the Hwy 50 Assn Wagon Train was commemorating the sesquicentennial of California's Gold Rush. Back then it was quite an exciting event for the Marshall Gold Discovery Park to host the annual arrival of the wagon train and all their colorful characters. How times and politics have sadly changed in that short time frame...or should I say progressed like an out of control freight train towards the Next Economy?

• 1036-FrankMay 06, 2013 - 8:20 pm

This county should be all about celebrating the history, from the Wagon Train, to Logging Days to the Gold Discovery to the Pony Express to ranching to our historic rails and buildings and everything in between. From all of my years from so long ago and as a young lad asking my dad what these wagons were about, I watched in awe wondering where they came from and where they were headed, I have fond memories of seeing them always headed west down 50 and I have had a good time in their camps on several occasions at Strawberry and Pollock and I hope it continues into the future.

• Kellie Elledge-BottMay 07, 2013 - 12:45 am

I am a Pollock Pines Raised child that also was Raised on the Wagon Train. I am Very Saddned to say that the reality Wagon Train( which is a California State Reconized Moving Event)is no longer the Wonderful Family Event it used to be is for MANY REASONS. First is Cost, they have to pay for the Nevada & California Highway Patrols to keep them safe from Crowds, Traffic Hazards,ect. The cost of Pot-a-Potties,Food,Shuttles,ect. The Fact that Most of the Places that WE used to stop at for Lay overs(Night Stops, Lunch, Rest Stops,ect)no Longer are available due to change in Ownership, Closed Down, or because Someone from the "City" does'nt want the NOISE or Smell of the Train.I have listened to these " FLATLANDERS/INTERLOPERS Cry to their "STUPIDVISORS" about this and have caused the Wagon Train to become a Ghost of it's former self. This also goes with Our " LOGGING DAYS". My Father Gerald Robert Elledge was a Logger, a Hard Working Man and I am PROUD TO BE A LOGGER'S BRAT". Shame on all of you who have come here for "Peace & Quiet" and changed OUR WAY OF LIFE & HAPPINESS. WE where JUST FINE UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG & BROKE What DID NOT NEED FIXING. Get with US OR GO BACK to WHERE YOU CAME FROM !!! Sincerely, A Proud Logger's Daughter & Wagon Train Rider

• MelodyMay 07, 2013 - 7:50 am

Kellie, I believe there are more productive ways of getting your point across. At one time or another probably all of us were "flatlanders" who desired the peace and quiet of rural mountain life. I've lived in the city but grew up in the rural midwest. What precious memories of visiting my grandparents who lived in a north woods 2 room log cabin - sans electricity or running water - just like the pioneers! Moving to Coloma was like stepping back into my childhood. Soon afterwards I got involved in the Gold Discovery Park Association with the hope I could contribute to this historic community. That in itself was a wake up call and quite an education in the messed up EDC politics. Although there is some merit to your assessment of the "stupidvisors", there really are better methods of preserving our rural and historic heritage. Try blooming where you are planted; make your voice heard where it counts. Properly applied factual documentation, versus spewing vitriol, will be much more effective in achieving the desired outcome.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 9:39 am

Melody...I understand Kellie--we are a small community--and tempers are flaring up here--feelings have been hurt. People who have been here--worked hard--feel they are no longer recognized for who they are--what their "true" heritage is. when these groups talk about preserving a places "heritage"--by research--they are referring the Environmental "heritage" of that place...maybe the groups themselves dont even realize it. The first meeting I went to--no one even knew the history of the building--let alone the place. I brought up that we were a "lumber town"... a new comer said--oh no--we are more than that--we are trails and things. I was confused--until I started researching and realized one of the first steps of these "plans" is the focus on bikes and trails. So Kellie is responding to our situation up here...where a small group of people are saying "well if you dont do it our way--then we will just do it for you" --its really quite an insult. I was furious yesterday when it looked like someone was thinking of attacking this post--it was a limit for me. I dont care about when people attck me. But the people in Pollock are not being listened to...and each day they get more upset. This letter was written by someone from a different generation--one where it is not polite to voice what she has in this article. She is so emotional about what she believes in--she came forward. Kellie wants to be heard--wants people to hear her emotions. They have removed everything from our space--and left us with CEDAPP, design committees, and no human heritage. They believe that putting in flowers will help feed the young ones at night. Of all things that should shine in "gold county" --it should be events such as the Wagon Train stop overs and logging day events.

• cookie65May 07, 2013 - 10:02 am

Melody, imagine someone moves into your house and the next thing you know they are moving all your furniture around and getting rid of your things that in their view don't serve any purpose. Things that are part of your heritage. The problem is the people who have no heritage here are imposing their view on the rest of us. I have witnessed it my entire life. There are lots of us up here who have never been flatlanders. They move up here because they want what is here and the first thing the do is try to change it. They want to turn it into the sh*thole the escaped from.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 10:03 am

One other difference for Kellie--is as a child--she was raised on the train...her "home" memories have been taken away. That in it self--our very different emotions. These Wagon Train People--are family--down to the live stock. We talk about loving our cats and dogs--these people also love their horses--they are family. We honor the apples and wine...spend lots of money toward their advancement...and have forgotten these events. Money --small amounts(considering the 350,000 given to the economic groups for tourism) have been given to the wagon train...30,000 over three years --I believe. what a smack in the face.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 10:07 am

13-0489 Agenda Item Approved 4/24/2013 4/30/2013 Chief Administrative Office recommending the Board authorize the Chair to sign Memorandum of Understanding 560-M1311 with the Highway 50 Association to provide funding assistance for the annual Wagon Train event held each June. Funding to be provided is for a period of three (3) years, beginning June 2013 and continuing through June 2015 in an amount not to exceed $30,000. FUNDING: General Fund (Transient Occupancy Tax). They just gave CEDAPP $5,000 to do as they please.

• Jim BeckMay 07, 2013 - 10:29 am

Where did anyone criticize the OP? Some of us native locals live down hill a bit and do not know what is going on with the Wagon Trail event. That we may volunteer for! The poster asked for some background information on the situation. We are not mind readers.

• MelodyMay 07, 2013 - 10:52 am

Thanks for the insight about Kellie and others who've lived in EDC most of their lives. As I said earlier, I moved up here to escape the craziness of urban life to settle down in a quiet, peaceful rural area. There certainly wasn't any intention on my part to impose my views or change it into a s**thole as Cookie so eloquently stated, simply to contribute whatever I could to PRESERVE our rich, historic region. What I wasn't prepared for was the Hatfield & McCoy feuding that has turned this county into a political hotbed of contention. Point is, the Wagon Train needs the support of people who really value their rich heritage. Just saying let's do it in a civil and respectable manner without casting stones.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 11:03 am

Melody...it is not against you and your words at all. They tried talking. Now they are pleading...and dont know how. And my heart goes out to them. This letter is written by their "greeter" the person who welcomes all to break bread with this family.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 11:12 am

Jim, this is not a "new" thing at all--it has occurred for the last several years, It has been brought up at meetings all up and down the county. Article after article has been in this paper. This is not a secret. They raise money through out the year. They just had a big fund raiser at the community center in Pollock. The person posting claimed she was all over the place--yet I knew exactly what she was talking about. And I am not the only person who understands.

• MelodyMay 07, 2013 - 11:16 am

Francesca: As an aside, I know too well how the BOS shuts down anyone who shows any kind of emotion. It is deeply disturbing to see how they pretend to listen, then implement what had already been decided behind closed doors. Even more disturbing has been the past practice of the Mtn. Demo to change words, whole sentences and context of letters to the editor. Whether by the media or BOS, infringements upon our 1st Amendment right to free speech makes me spitting emotional too. But hurling insults will get you nowhere fast. The sad reality is most citizens choose to remain silent meanwhile witness to the fact of the collapse of our local heritage, communities and entire nation. There is a better way...armed with facts, truth and Divine Guidance.

• James E.May 07, 2013 - 12:00 pm

The plot thickens -- a conspiracy between the Board of Supervisors and the Mt.Democrat to what? Defraud the citizens of El Dorado County? How soon before The Board of Supervisors and the editors of the Mt.Democrat hear, "This is the FBI, come out with your hands up!"

• cookie65May 07, 2013 - 12:00 pm

Melody, you are understating the politics in El Dorado county. It is as divisive and vicious as Chicago. You would think they were fighting over control of the Suez Canal. I know why as I suspect others do as well. But like me they would never say it out loud. It is one of those things people need to learn on their own.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 12:01 pm

I understand that Melody, I am not going to stop their passion. Our country was built on passion--and these few people are still part of that beginning...they are still part of the wild west. They have come to meetings, over and over--no one listened. These people work hard. They have blisters on their hands. They believe in America--they are the keepers of our American spirit. So no--I honor their passion. I honor this women who for 38 yrs rode into towns to greet people into her family-- And to remind us through celebration-- who we are. With technology moving so fast--I want children to remember if the electricity goes out--or batteries go dead--"Life" still continues. I believe that learning about livestock, fishing,hunting, growing food, and at the end of the day learning to dance and sing--is the most valuable gift we can leave them. The Wagon Train families do this--this is heritage. So let some of them scream out that they just do not understand. What direction is this county going? Each economic group has used "Protecting our Heritage" in some form. Really? Up here in Pollock they want to do a mural of the Wagon Train--I say let the Event come back for its week-end stop over. Looking at a mural without the event--is just sad.

• Compass2TruthMay 07, 2013 - 2:16 pm

Cookie: Amen to the fact that EDC is as crooked and divisive as the Chicago mob. But how come you think it necessary for citizens to find out on their own how bad the corruption actually is? Why the secrecy? Is it perhaps the fear of retaliation by local political bullies? I suggest considering the perspective of Emerson (1833): "The wise man in the storm prays God not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."

• Compass2TruthMay 07, 2013 - 2:47 pm

James: I believe what Cookie was alluding to was our own EDC cover-up version of Benghazi. Gary Bauer best expressed it in his blog today: "WHISTLE-BLOWERS are scheduled to testify before Congress tomorrow. We hope that this COVER-UP, which began more than six months ago, will be fully EXPOSED and that those responsible will be held ACCOUNTABLE...Exposing CORRUPTION and demanding HONESTY from our LEADERS is what a real opposition party and a FREE PRESS are supposed to do. Amazingly, the New York Times continues to ignore Benghazi, refusing even to report the FACT that blockbuster hearings are taking place tomorrow." God bless those who boldly take a stand for truth and righteousness.

• cookie65May 07, 2013 - 3:16 pm

Compass, you read more into it than what I said. The subject was raised by Melody when she posted, "What I wasn't prepared for was the Hatfield & McCoy feuding that has turned this county into a political hotbed of contention." Which I read as politics as a whole within the county not any specific piece. I didn't say anything about corruption, I said, "it was if they were fighting over control of the Suez Canal." My claim is that I know "why" not "how".

• Jim BeckMay 07, 2013 - 3:36 pm

So is the wagon train a go or not? You folks in the know keep making references to stuff the non attenders have no knowledge about. No one has responded to what is up with the BOS and one BOS member in particular. Please spell it out, in plain English! What is going on with the wagon train ride?

• cookie65May 07, 2013 - 4:28 pm

Jim, I have no idea. My point is about human nature and something I have witnessed repeatedly for years. I was involved in youth sports for many years and it was very typical to have a half dozen individuals who wanted to be in charge of everything. This wagon train issue reminds me of a combination of things. Youth sports and the flatlanders who move up here who weren't allowed to be in charge of anything in the city who have the attitude that they are gonna show all us backwoods hicks how things are done. This world is full of mini-Caesars. Every time things would turn to manure in my many years of youth sports it was always for the exact same reason. That "reason" is what I won't say. Oh, and by the way I don't know any of the bully politicians and they don't know me. And I am not intimidated by them anyway.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 5:14 pm

Jim as she said in her article--funding is low...they do not do stop overs in several places any more--no funding. They will be coming to Placerville again this year. If you would like more information on how to help the wagon train...here is the web site: http://www.hwy50wagontrain.com/ I hope this helps.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 5:26 pm

For the politics in Pollock come to our meeting on May 15th at the Pollock Pines Camino Community Center -it was outside of this building that wagon train held a huge celebration (as did logging days)

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 5:49 pm

She names Ms. Santiago--because she is our supervisor in the "town" of Pollock Pines. Many feel she only listens to CEDAPP--who claims to have the whole population behind her. It is hard for many to believe that CEDAPP is given money--yet the Wagon Trains funding is cut down more and more. I was at the meeting where people voted that CEDAPP should give business back to the chamber. And Harper (CEDAPP) announced that in this paper. She also said she was going to step down--and has not done so yet. What the author also said was that the Wagon Train can run its own event--but politics got involved and killed the whole experience. The other item is the community center up here--CEDAPP is not in charge--so we have learned up here--if CEDAPP is not in charge--they will pull people and events away from it. Jim--these are things that we just experience up here--and this senior has had enough. At the last meeting Ms. Santiago asked where the next meeting should be--I replied here at the community center...the people who glared what a civic center. Our center is not government run--it is run by volunteers. They have events to just pay the bills--they are old school--not into be money makers. The founders are still here--they will tell you themselves--we want a place for the community to come and enjoy themselves. If I sounded grumpy before--it is because I have learned more about the author...she is a senior who is trying to say every thing in her heart as quickly as possible. This women came forward after years of the politics behind her beloved Wagon Train...and spoke quickly in her written words...I imagine her saying--okay I did it--its out. Different generation--women always knew what was going on--but kept it to themselves.

• Jim BeckMay 07, 2013 - 6:05 pm

Um well OK. No one has yet spelled out for the outsiders what the "issues-s" are. I asked if the train is still on. No one replied. In clear English what are the issues with the train? What is/are the train issues with the BOS? How/why/what is the involvement with one BOS supervisor. Someone PLEASE spell it out. To date all you all have done is spew forth innuendo that I am unable to decode. WHAT ARE THE ISSUES SURROUNDING THE TRAIN?? Please. No gobbly gook. JEEEEZZZZ people.

• Compass2TruthMay 07, 2013 - 6:25 pm

Cookie: You are correct in stating "This world is full of mini-Caesars" and you can be assured EDC has more than their fair share. Compass deals with them regularly--the "who's who" are regularly identified by name at the appropriate time and with accompanying documentation. The root cause of corruption is power and control, much of it centered in historic Coloma which has been identified as "the environmental belly of the beast." Call it Next Economy, Agenda 21, Progressive Movement--whatever--it still spells BAD NEWS. The excellent links Francesca posts also provides answers to the "how" and "why." Just follow the $$$...and the names will fall into place for a panoramic Big Picture.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 6:25 pm

Jim...I said the train is coming this summer to placerville. I left a link to find out more information on how one can help. The main issue is that there are receiving less and less funding. Because of funding they have less stop overs. What else can I answer for you?

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 6:27 pm

Help the wagon train: Here is the web site, http://www.hwy50wagontrain.com/

• francescaduchamp@att.netMay 07, 2013 - 6:38 pm

Jim this is the money they just received from the BOS: 13-0489 Agenda Item Approved 4/24/2013 4/30/2013 Chief Administrative Office recommending the Board authorize the Chair to sign Memorandum of Understanding 560-M1311 with the Highway 50 Association to provide funding assistance for the annual Wagon Train event held each June. Funding to be provided is for a period of three (3) years, beginning June 2013 and continuing through June 2015 in an amount not to exceed $30,000. FUNDING: General Fund (Transient Occupancy Tax). this is not enough to do all the traveling and stay overs.

• MelodyMay 07, 2013 - 7:05 pm

It's been years since the Hwy 50 Wagon Train circled their wagons in Coloma for a celebration of the historic Gold Rush that changed the face of our entire nation. With the passing of the years we've also witnessed a number of businesses that have been forced out of Coloma and the MGD Park, many who used to volunteer as docents during my tenure as Gold Discovery Park Association President. Like my friends in Pollock Pines, we've raised our voices in passionate appeal to the mini-Caesars that rule EDC and the American River corridor...all to no avail. We realized we were fighting against the government "system." Then in 2009 we discovered a more effective method to apply our collective influence as citizen Watchdogs when COMPAS (now Compass2Truth) was initially formed. Perseverance is the key...never, never give up the pioneer spirit that made our nation great.

• Phil VeerkampMay 07, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Melody Compass - The ONE year through Coloma was a one-off. It was NEVER part of the regular wagon train schedule. The normal "END" of the wagon train was a drunken dance party at the fairgrounds. The relations with the fair grounds has been "strained".

• Phil FitzgeraldMay 31, 2013 - 7:36 am

What a bunch of sniveling cry babies.I was born and raised in Pollock Pines and resent you trying to define what that is all about.The only person you can speak for is yourself.I love the history of this area and my family has been here for five generations but I wouldn't want anyone to associate me with any of you pin heads.You sense of entitlement is disgusting.You truly represent the worst of Pollock Pines.

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15