When does the IRS tax us for not having health care?

EDITOR: I understood from Justice Roberts writing for the majority of the Supreme Court that the Affordable Health Care Act could go forward as a tax and as such I am confused as to where or when I pay this tax to IRS.

I know that there is a penalty for not participating in the Affordable Care Act. It seems odd that IRS is assessing a penalty on something I didn’t buy. My understanding of IRS law or regulations that it assesses penalties and interest for not paying your taxes.

Question: Does the collector of our premiums pay a portion of that as my federal tax? Or when I am paying my deductibles who is paying my share of the tax? The hospital? The doctor? The lab? How much is the tax?

Remember the Affordable Care Act is a TAX, as Justice Roberts outlined.

Are the people getting subsidies paying a tax? Are we going to be notified when we pay our 2013 income tax what the tax is? Remember that federal government is making up the rules as they go along, so we don’t know what will happen when we file our 2013 taxes in April 2014. I am sure that the feds will tell us how much they need on our 2013 taxes.

As a small business owner that provides health care for my employees I’m trying to stay on top of this but the federal government is keeping us in the dark. So if you can shed factual light on this I would greatly appreciate it as I am sure others would too. The tax is the responsibility of IRS to collect.

HERB STONE

Latrobe

• Dink LaneDecember 27, 2013 - 11:23 am

The ACA actually says that you will be given an IRS code to use when you file your Taxes. You don't get that code if you don't sign up..... The ACA (deemed the Republican spin name "ObamaCare") actually says..... The IRS has "NO means to enforce any penalties." ...... That's another one of those "Obama compromises" to meet Republican demands.... and then the GOP did the "Head-spinning" and spitting "Pea-soup" and shivered with objection...... and voted NO..... ..... GOP mantra: Anything Obama agrees to.... Vote NO.... even if it's to say your wife is lovely....

• cookie65December 27, 2013 - 12:20 pm

Roughly 75% of your word salad comment is directed at those had nothing to do with obamacare. I guess the saving grace in your logic is how cooperative, supportive and agreeable the left was with Bush for 8 years and still to this day blaming him at every opportunity for the incompetent failure His majesty has turned out to be. obamacare is not by any measurement the same bill that was passed. obama, his regime and the left have changed it not the repubs. Even John Roberts changed it, he had to just to make an excuse for calling it Constitutional. dink-#stillblamingBush

• Dink LaneDecember 27, 2013 - 1:59 pm

You know what I love about your posts, Cookie? Wondering what you are trying to say? It keeps this old tired mind .... active, like a crossword puzzle...... I'm not trying to slam you.... I just don't understand.... The Affordable Care Act =/= Obamacare? Is that what your are saying?..... and that Legislation shouldn't be changed after the original bill was passed to make it work better?.... Cookie -- What is important to you as a citizen? That NO laws be allowed to stop Corporations from manipulating people's access?.... Remember the Rolling-Blackouts in 2000? ENRON was manipulating the market and our public officials were BLOCKED from doing anything. (PUC denied access to Duke Energy sites to verify they were shut-down for a reason.) ...... Country was NOT founded on Corporate interests 1st.......Our forefathers fought to keep the Monarchy and the Aristocrats from doing just that...... Jefferson limited land ownership to 160-acres.... That's a regulation.... to keep Aristocrats (Land Lords like those in England) from owning all the property... (Of course big-money stopped that).....OR Cookie -- Is it important that a Citizen have right to be protected FROM big-Money from blocking you from jobs and freedom to take care of your family?..... (Georgia has ONLY Anthem-Blue-Cross. Everything is BLOCKED in this Republican dominated state)........It's not a Republican or Democrat or Libertarian thing.... It's a United State of America thing.... If you don't like a law passed by 51%..... Then come up with a law 51% will agree to.....

• PatriceDecember 28, 2013 - 12:11 pm

Dink, I would actually read one of cookienoname's posts if he would respond to this post of yours. Always linking to somewhere not relevant at the time when he does not have a rebuttal. Very true about Jefferson's limited land ownership. Cookienoname has relied on past leaders to support his stance many times. Past leaders were rounded, not extremists. Please post a response to this post of Dink's that is relevant. Pretty sure there are others that would like to hear it.

• cookie65December 27, 2013 - 11:54 am

• PattyDecember 27, 2013 - 6:11 pm

Dink I think it is a waste of time to figure Cookie out. She is a typical Tea Head who will disagree and hate anything which has to do with this administration. She won't compromise, she contradicts and she is hypocritical. She also like all the Tea heads and Repubs have nothing to offer but hate. No plans or ideas just hate. It is why the Repubs are in the state they are in. Nothing to offer..........

• cookie65December 28, 2013 - 6:55 am

Have you noticed how the Ieft's accusations of hate has Iost the power of persuation? It is onIy stiII usefuI for keeping the mentaI midgets satiated. Thinking peopIe who are Iiving the destruction created by the tyrannicaI Ieft are seeing your canned response to anyone who opposes them for what it is. Nothing more than a strategy intended to shut peopIe up. Here is a video of the Iibtard strategy, hat tip to PhiI. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHgUE9AD4s

• PollockerDecember 28, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Nice name calling and stereotyping there. What's the plan of conservatives? Expect all able-bodied people to be employed full-time if they want the same benefits as everyone else. Want housing, medical care, college tuition, dental care, a cell phone, retirement at 62? Get up at 6 and get to work by 8, and stay there working until 5. No excuses. No free job training, no "I'm going to drag this out for 4 years by going to college because I screwed up my life." That's what conservatives want: more people working and paying taxes and fewer people on the dole. Can you possibly disagree that that's a fair and reasonable expectation? Or are there huge classes of people who should be exempt from that basic expectation, which is to take care of yourself and your own children, with the exception of a rare emergency?

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 6:03 am

Pollocker, your comment to a leftist is like sunlight to a vampire. Well done.

• cookie65December 28, 2013 - 12:05 pm

ocommycare needs to be made into a sitcom for television. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530010/State-based-Obamacare-exchanges-halt-payments-substandard-messed-websites-built-contractor-botched-healthcare-gov.html

• Dee#1December 28, 2013 - 12:14 pm

Cookie, I agree that the Obamacare is sitcom material, but the effect on the people who need medical care is going to be deadly.

• PatriceDecember 28, 2013 - 12:18 pm

Deadly, I tell ya, deadly.

• PatriceDecember 28, 2013 - 12:31 pm

I am not afraid of you and your unbalanced intentions for this country. One thing about you and your minions is you all point your finger and there are three pointing back. The right are the fear mongers. You do read what your girlfriend Dee writes as she is trying so hard to be just like you. Time will tell. This is a country of, and for the middle. And when did I ever give you the impression I wasn't left? Dee, no insurance is what is deadly... cookie65December 28, 2013 - 9:43 am Congratulations!!!, this comment is as intellectually dishonest as you claiming not to be a leftist. Fear is central to all leftism. It is used endlessly to manipulate and influence people. Leftism is fully dependent on fear. Fear is how leftism establishes control over people and causes them to sacrifice freedom and liberty. Without the invention and creation of some nemesis based on fear leftism has no purpose. Fear controls you and renders you nothing more than a useful idiot.

• Dink LaneDecember 28, 2013 - 12:41 pm

Wow Patrice.... You're tough.....I'm impressed.

• PatriceDecember 28, 2013 - 12:47 pm

Dink, I can be when the hypocrisy is palatable. You are the toughie. I will take this time to extend my appreciation for your knowledge and research, and, of course putting cookienoname on his self-mad(e) hotseat. Keep giving Dink!

• EvelynDecember 28, 2013 - 6:43 pm

Patrice: "Palatable" hypocrisy??? Surely you mean "palpable". BIG difference.

• PatriceDecember 28, 2013 - 7:34 pm

Yes, indeed. I should proofread. Thank you.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 28, 2013 - 9:42 pm

Evelyn suggests, " Surely you mean "palpable". BIG difference." I'm not so sure, Evelyn. In reading how Patrice swallows Dink's line I tend to believe that there may have been a "correct" application of "palatable" by Patrice. I would posit a Freudian slip. Though Dink's hypocrisy gives some of us heartburn, nausea and, in extreme cases, apoplexy, it seems to be quite palatable for Patrice. She seems to flourish on Dink's offerings. A veritable virtual sunshine vitamin D for Patrice. Dink's hypocrisy seems to be quite palatable to Patrice and palliative to her "condition" and supportive of her pedagogy. . . . to others it's still poop.

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 5:56 am

Nice catch Phil. Yet, Eve!yn's was as well . In her own subtle, non-bludgeoning, non-aggressive way, she sheds a big light on the functionally illiterate. The Dunning–Kruger effect. I want to know what kind of dressing is required to digest and of dink's word salad. Do they make a koolaid flavored salad dressing?

• Phil VeerkampDecember 29, 2013 - 8:27 am

Thank you, Cookie. It's breakfast time. Perhaps for Patrice a dinky omelet topped with a dinky sprinkle of assorted colonics?

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 9:19 am

Do you have to pass it to find out what was in it?

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 7:10 pm

You can always be counted on to be petty and getting your jock in a bunch. Although Evelyn has called me names as well, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. Many of you off the cliff righties will jump on anything for a tiny bit of validation. Really, not a problem.

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 7:12 pm

Patrice! When have I called you -- or anyone else -- a name?

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 7:23 pm

A couple weeks ago(2). In an article about the ACA. I stated that I knew several that have signed up, etc. You said to cookienoname that I was either a shill or an idiot.

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 7:01 pm

Oh Mr. Veerkamp, you are right. It was kind of a Freudian slip. Sipping, a nice vintage Christmas present and my brain thought palatable and my fingers obeyed. Yes, Dink has some classy virtues. Don't tantrum and kick sand out of your sandbox :)

• Phil VeerkampDecember 29, 2013 - 7:12 pm

;>)

• JohnDecember 28, 2013 - 10:00 pm

Let's assume that no one is obligated to enroll in the ACA. So I propose a Tea Party/GOP solution: those who choose not to join the ACA but fall gravely ill will NOT receive medical care, will NOT be admitted to a hospita-some exceptions for kids under 18, that's all. In other words, the "parasites" get well on their own or they die. That' s Ayn Rand's philosophy in a nutshell: there's no room in a true capitalist society for parasites, bloodsuckers and the like. On the subject of tax: does anyone consider car insurance a tax? In your feverish urge to spew venom at President Obama, some of you don't make any sense.

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 6:13 am

Everyday I can be assured to start my day with uncontrollable laughter at the unintended consequences of leftist theology. And today is typical of that reality. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530597/Pregnant-foreigners-fly-Britain-receive-free-maternal-healthcare-NHS.html

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 6:29 am

Here is another one. It would seem that the "collective" has some reservations about being generous with other peoples money when they believe it puts their free-ride in jeopardy. Imagine that. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10539471/Britains-public-services-cannot-be-open-to-all.html

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 6:41 am

This is more hysterical than the other two combined. The leftist rag LATimes takes hyperbole and throws a truck load of miracle grow on it hoping against hope that people not getting a Christmas package on time is somehow comparable to millions of people having their insurance cancelled. This is desperation on a monumental scale. These people are totally detached from reality. http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-ups-20131228,0,6435153.story#axzz2orNuSsXA

• SallyDecember 29, 2013 - 9:10 am

OMG you all are so immature and uneducated you sound like my 18 month old

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 9:21 am

This is what passes for leftist intellectualism. http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/12/28/msnbc-s-dyson-phil-robertson-and-duck-dynasty-part-majority-white-sup

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 9:21 am

Sally: That's a pretty sweeping statement! On which side of the ACA divide does your 18-month old fall?

• cookie65December 29, 2013 - 9:30 am

Eve!yn, I give that a 9.5 on a scale 1 to 10. Laugh out loud funny!!!

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 9:37 am

I maim to please! -- Eve!yn

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 7:50 pm

Patrice: Apologies. I believe you are correct.

• Dee#1December 29, 2013 - 7:52 pm

Patrice, Evelyn does not call names. She is the very essence of a lady. Unfortunately she is a Liberal but a classy, as well as classical liberal. So try something else.

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 8:41 pm

Evelyn and I are grown ups and taking care of it. And mind your own business.

• Dee#1December 29, 2013 - 8:56 pm

Patrice, what I wrote was correct and I shall comment when I chose whether you like it or not. Evelyn if you were in anyway insulted by my missive, I apologize.

• Dee#1December 29, 2013 - 7:55 pm

Evelyn, on no! Not after I defended you! Oh well, Patrice can make us all forget our manners.

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 8:54 pm

Typical, blaming someone else for your behavior!

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 8:06 pm

Dee#1 / Patrice: I am retracting my retraction -- and my apology! I did NOT call Patrice an idiot or a shill. The relevant post is HERE, comment @December 17, 2013 - 1:24 pm. Click on the highlighted THIS. It takes you to a 1 minute video. It is the woman in the video who is the target of my wrath.

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 8:07 pm

. . . HERE (Above referenced video)

• PatriceDecember 29, 2013 - 8:57 pm

Thank you. My apologies for misunderstanding. I am glad I did.

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 8:59 pm

Dee#1: It's impossible to insult me by saying nice things!

• Dee#1December 29, 2013 - 8:59 pm

Patrice, to whom are you speaking?

• EvelynDecember 29, 2013 - 9:00 pm

Patrice: Glad it got sorted out. It's so easy in these short communiques for misunderstandings to arise.

• Dee#1December 29, 2013 - 9:01 pm

Evelyn, thank you.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment