Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wood stove smoke pollution

We live in Cold Springs subdivision. The past four years has left us gasping for a breath during winter months. The smoke pollution is so bad, we cannot breathe.

We moved up here for the fresh air. Now we live in a constant state of smoke and haze. Even my indoor animals sneeze and their eyes run all winter long. Even with a special filter unit on our heating unit, we still pull in the pollutants from wood stoves.

If every wood stove burned every other day, we would cut the smoke pollution down by 50 percent. Please be mindful that you are harming others as well as our outdoor animals with your constant burning.

We are gasping for a fresh breath of air in Placerville.

SUZANNE AND MIKE BURGAN
Placerville

• GoldMinerDecember 16, 2013 - 4:26 pm

We moved here from the big city, to get away from the hustle and bustle, parking meters, parking tickets, and all the other garbage from that way of life. We like most of what life offers here, and accept rural country living. The last thing we want, is rules, and other garbage that belong in the big city, following us here. You may have picked a bad spot to live, ie a basin type area or something. Up here on the hill, the air is fine.

• Dee#1December 16, 2013 - 5:57 pm

Suzanne and Mike Burgan, I am sorry to hear of your distress. Since you are asking your neighbors not to heat their homes every other day, please let us know which days you'll be forgoing heating your home so that every one can have an appropriate schedule.

• robertdnollDecember 16, 2013 - 7:09 pm

you voted for obama care now live with it

• lite sleeperDecember 16, 2013 - 7:41 pm

I lived there about thirty years ago back when people didn't have garbage pickup so everything that could burn went into the burn barrel magazines plastic etc. Wasn't too bad if you burned really hot and fast but when people let it smolder it would make you I'll. You are lucky that you don't know what you missed. What I also remember is dogs barking all night long at each other and owners not bringing them in even though they kept the whole subdivision up all night. A lot of glass houses too. Love it or leave it.

• Fran DuchampDecember 16, 2013 - 8:19 pm

Hint...first it was signage, motorcycles, framers market--guess what...wood burning bans across the USA. Read. Democrats, EPA crack down on wood-burning at home http://tinyurl.com/lyuva7g

• Fran DuchampDecember 16, 2013 - 8:19 pm

http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html wood burning "rules."

• Fran DuchampDecember 16, 2013 - 8:21 pm

THE EPA TAKES AN AX TO SELF-SUFFICIENCY: MOST WOODBURNING STOVES WILL SOON BE ILLEGAL http://tinyurl.com/mzgksxg

• Kathy JimenezDecember 19, 2013 - 2:06 am

Please move then

• Fran DuchampDecember 19, 2013 - 12:16 pm

Kathy JimenezDecember 19, 2013 - 2:06 am Please move then Reply | Report abusive comment Kathy JimenezDecember 19, 2013 - 2:07 am Move back...... Kathy...Im not the one complaining Miss...Im the one pointing out that this is yet another "ordinance" in the making (attacking wood burning)--that a small group of unelected people want to pursue--so they feel "powerful"....pay attention :) I like the smell of wood burning during the seasons. Propane is out of control...I pay $10.00 a month just for someone to read the meter...before I even spend a penny. My propane just doubled because it is winter. Im sorry the Burgan did not do their homework...in all fairness...maybe they didnt realise they were moving to the mountains..well the foothills of the mountains...the great wilderness of the Sierra Nevadas...the wild wild west...Gold miners country Maybe they didnt go the the tourists booth to hear all this....it is what is being promoted. People come to the mountains...they want a nice cozy fire...or at least to smell one. Oh Kathy I see you said it was okay to move back...see there is that El Dorado hospitality we were talking about. Lololol Everyone stay out of trouble. Be aware...lots of possible rules still coming on the horizon.

• Kathy JimenezDecember 19, 2013 - 2:07 am

Move back......

• Fran DuchampDecember 16, 2013 - 8:25 pm

Phase-Out of Fireplace and Woodstove Use Proposed for City of Davis.http://motherlode.sierraclub.org/yolano/Issues/Smoke/Phase_out_of_firelaces.html

• Fran DuchampDecember 16, 2013 - 8:28 pm

http://www.forgreenheat.org/appliance/state.html alliance for "green" heat...someone is always going to make a buck. Biomass...remember at the old town meetings with Mr. Ward (The facilitator at our "visioning" meetings)...biomass was brought up...lolololol...come on guys--please pay attention to the east coast

• GoldMinerDecember 16, 2013 - 8:53 pm

Fran, my first thought was that the article was a "Trial Balloon", or seed planting if you will. Seems that's how the Left get's their issues started. This is like moving next to an airport, and then complaining of noise. Next, it will be the neighbors chickens, chainsaw, dogs, etc. Don't move up the hill, there's actually people who shoot GUNS up here! If you like rules, move into a gated community, like Rancho Murrieta. Notice the motorcycles all parked at the entrance, they're not allowed to keep them in their own garages! Must be fun having someone else telling you what color paint to use, or roofing tiles you can have, on your own home! If that's what you want, go where that is already happening. Or does that eliminate the fun of trying to get everyone else to change, to suit YOU?

• JimBoDecember 16, 2013 - 10:24 pm

Mike and Suzanne, if you don't like it, please move back to the North Bay Area where you came from. They love to take away personal freedoms down there. I can't believe how Placeville has been invaded with BATS Bay Area Transplants over the last 10 years. They want to bring all their Socialism with them.

• Move along nowDecember 17, 2013 - 7:26 am

It is always better to do your homework in advance, not after, a significant purchase such as a home. All that bay area smog has to go somewhere and, uh oh, it settles right here at the 2,000' level and up. The good news is you are now closer to your old neighbors than you have been for the past decade. If this is an issue, then how did these people survive the Rim fire smoke fest?

• cookie65December 18, 2013 - 5:32 am

The only pollution up here is what comes from the cities. Whether it travels by air or uhaul.

• MarkCDecember 18, 2013 - 6:58 am

I appreciate you for speaking up, but this is not the North Bay. Perhaps you should have done some homework before moving here. It is rural here, wood stoves, fireplaces are actually used by many for heat in the winter. In the North Bay, the government decides when (which is rarely) you can use a fireplace, or a leaf blower, or a bbq or many other things that are "managed". The Bay Area, in fact, dictates when we can burn off leaves and debris. I'm sorry for your breathing problems, but you should consider moving out of the area if your health requires it.

• cookie65December 18, 2013 - 7:08 am

Please be mindful that you are the new arrival and no one up here is interested in you bringing all your rules and regulations that you fled. If you left where ever it was for "fresh air" you can do it again.

• Jim BeckDecember 18, 2013 - 7:35 am

Will the OP please tell us how we are to heat our homes otherwise? Not all of us can afford to be bent over by PGE.

• LpDecember 18, 2013 - 8:18 am

Move back to the Bay Area, and take your fantasy world with you. I'll throw a wet log on for 'ya!

• Fran DuchampDecember 18, 2013 - 8:51 am

Gold miner..."Fran, my first thought was that the article was a "Trial Balloon", or seed planting if you will." <-----I have never heard these terms before...I just felt it was done on purpose to see what the responses were--thanks for the terms!!!!! The Homeless Initiative Program across the US, is interesting as well. Oh well--thanks for the tag words :)

• PattyDecember 18, 2013 - 9:19 am

Wow guys bet you didn't expect these comments. Welcome to El Dorado County. Believe me you will regret moving here. If you had the vision of small town kindness and neighborly people you were WRONG! There are other small towns without the El Dorado Anger. Trust me I am on my way!. Now watch all these neighborly people post a nice goodbye.

• cookie65December 18, 2013 - 9:56 am

Vaya con Dios.

• You Go GirlDecember 18, 2013 - 6:08 pm

Guten Tag Patrice, Sorry to hear your leaving, I hope to greener pastures. I've always enjoyed your posts, you'll be missed. It took courage to speak up against the never ending supply of despots. The last voice of reason will fall silent, I guess now they’ll have to start cannibalizing their own. Auf Wiedersehen.

• DanielDecember 19, 2013 - 2:11 am

Funny, we moved here 13 years ago and still amazed today at how friendly and kind the people of El Dorado County are. From walking downtown, school events, sport events. you must be one of those flatlanders that never looks anyone in the eye or says hello to a passing stranger. Go live in the Bay Area where they are really rude and always in a hurrya to get no where. Bye-bye

• GoldMinerDecember 18, 2013 - 9:41 am

People who are pushy, and want to shove their agendas down others throats, will get the same reaction, no matter where they move. Time to look in the mirror.

• Phil VeerkampDecember 18, 2013 - 9:46 am

When in Rome . . .

• cookie65December 18, 2013 - 9:58 am

Feed the lions?

• Phil VeerkampDecember 18, 2013 - 10:04 am

No, no NO! . . . Eat spaghetti, Cookie.

• cookie65December 18, 2013 - 10:11 am

• JesseDecember 19, 2013 - 2:14 am

Phil, no wonder you keep an eye on these comments and respond so frequently. I did not realize the handful of morons we have in town.

• WDecember 18, 2013 - 10:06 am

I only burn when it is cold out as that is my only option for heating my home. I would gladly quit cutting, stacking, carrying, etc. all that firewood if someone like the Burgans wanted to purchase and install a 'cleaner' furnace in my house. I understand bad air quality concerns, but you have to know you will get no sympathy in this area by complaining about things like this. At least I know I will be warm when the power goes out.

• Kristy CrowderDecember 18, 2013 - 11:30 am

W: You said it best! And to Patty - 'toodle lu'!!!!

• suzanneDecember 18, 2013 - 11:37 am

You know what they say about assuming? We have lived here for over 24 years. I do love this area and there has been little problems with smoke up until about 4 years ago. More people are burning green wood and old wood stoves that are plowing tons of smoke into the atmosphere. We are not from the Bay area. Nor do we want imposed rules. And we sure as heck are not liberals nor voted for Obama. Sheesh people. Gets some facts before assuming about others agenda. I wrote the note hopefully so some people understand that some of us are suffering health problems from smoke. We have a wood stove too. It is there for an emergency in case we need it. Burning wood is much more expensive than having a new heat unit on propane. We found out when we decided to make the purchase. Our bill went from 350.00 a month with power and wood to 95.00 for electric and 85.00 a month for propane. That's a fact!

• WDecember 18, 2013 - 11:45 am

Burning wood is 'free' when you cut, split, and stack it yourself.

• rodDecember 18, 2013 - 5:42 pm

Suzanne, your comment on excess smoke is a worthy topic. And folks are not unfriendly up here, quite the contrary. What we ARE though is VERY sensitive to ever growing lists of new regulations and ‘new’ folks moving in and trying to change things… that’s all. However, as our economy continues to get worse, more and more folks will resort to survival modes and one of them is the WOOD STOVE, next is the 4x4 and a hunting rifle (it’s truer than you might imagine), and to NOT be prepared for a worse economy is… well foolish. If you want to get serious about understanding the tsunami of new regulations descending on rural America… just google UN AGENDA 21 and the ICLEI. It will scare the SOCKS off any rural resident with half a brain. Please remember, unelected bureaucrats are implementing these programs aggressively as Sustainable Development/Conservation Programs and Calif is leading the Nation. Check out the “Wildlands Project” and “rewilding America”. Welcome to liberalism.

• rodDecember 18, 2013 - 5:44 pm

Ooops, dark already... time to light a far

• rodDecember 18, 2013 - 5:52 pm

Oh, one more thing. When burning propane I can smell a little smoke in house from others burning wood. But when I have my own woodstove burning I never seem to notice any smoke at all.... hhhmmmm Like Phil says, "when in Rome..."

• Sara YatesDecember 18, 2013 - 11:33 pm

Suzanne, Rod is absolutely correct. I have lived her my entire life and love it here. Sure, there are things we don't like, but there are everywhere. I don't live in the city because I didn't want to raise my family in the crime-ridden, hustle and bustle of it all. Yes, there are more conveniences, but there are more people and so many more cars! Remember what took you out of the city to begin with. Some things just are and that's the way we like them. Maybe buy a good air purifier if the smoke is bugging you. But, there is nothing like a good wood fire - inside or out! Oh, and there are a lot of super nice people here. It is what you make of it.

• JenniDecember 19, 2013 - 1:32 pm

Suzanne, please don't start something you can't stop. Young people, in our community use woodstoves ONLY, for their heat. This is because they can't afford any other kind of heat. Can you imagine having a newborn and not being allowed to heat your house?

• kggDecember 19, 2013 - 8:37 pm

suzanne wrote: "And we sure as heck are not liberals nor voted for Obama. Sheesh people. Gets some facts before assuming about others agenda." kgg writes: apparently suzanne, you are unaware of the tea party folks who blame president obama and democrats for everything. if you don't agree with them, you are a socialist.

• Willliam HoweDecember 28, 2013 - 11:49 pm

How does "not voting for Obama" have anything to do with the woodsmoke issue? Not even close to a good "spin".

• hangtownDecember 18, 2013 - 11:49 am

There is nothing nicer than the smell of cedar burning in my fireplace, sorry to see you go but. . . . to each their own

• GoldMinerDecember 18, 2013 - 12:11 pm

Suzanne, ask those who live in Pollock Pines, and further East, how much it costs to heat with Propane AND electricity.

• suzanneDecember 18, 2013 - 12:47 pm

I hear there might be programs to help those with little money get a new stove or help with new heating units to lower emissions and particulates in the atmosphere. I'm not the only one suffering here. I posted this after hearing many complaints from my neighbors of the same problems. This is not a matter of tiles on a roof or a broken down car in the yard. I do not share your yard nor you mine. But we do share the same air. And on those nights when you are not burning...come on down to our house. I will make ya all dinner! Lasagna, enchiladas, what every you like. Then when we see each other face to face, there might not be such animosity towards an idea I post.

• GoldMinerDecember 18, 2013 - 1:04 pm

Suzanne, I lived in a residential type neighborhood, down in Southern Cal. I shared the same air with my neighbors. I had a dog, that barked when I left home for errands, etc. I got complaints, threats by neighbors, and notification from the city, ALL justified! I chose to move North, rather than get rid of my dog, put him down, or snip his vocal chords. When I moved up here, I accepted the area, and ways of life. You can find a more suitable location, where the smoke is not an issue. You can't expect everyone else to change to your liking. Surely, you can't be surprised by the response you have gotten here. Think about it, from someone else's point of view.

• good old dazeDecember 18, 2013 - 1:09 pm

Suzanne you wouldn't happen to own stock in any heating and air company would you? I'm still waiting for my rebate check for my solar clothes dryer. (Rope).

• barbercDecember 18, 2013 - 1:32 pm

This is Funny...maybe you should educate your neighbors on what is green wood and seasoned....I'm still waiting for Mother Nature to take a break on the pollen in spring so I can breathe...

• HYPOCRITEDecember 18, 2013 - 2:08 pm

Goldminer How sweet u r to Suzanne now that she has stated she is not from the Bay Area and didn't vote for Obama. PATHETIC!

• GoldMinerDecember 18, 2013 - 2:12 pm

Hypocrite, do you have a comment for Suzanne, and her original post, are or you just here cherry picking? I don't care who she voted for, nor do I care who YOU voted for. Do ypou have a pertinent comment, or are you just a drive by bomb thrower? You can use any of your screen names for a response.

• Jim BeckDecember 18, 2013 - 5:57 pm

Everyone needs to purchase the book Eco Facists and learn what the green do gooders want to with the land we bought, paid for and pay taxes on. If you don't take care of YOUR LAND they will take it from you. Read the book, it will shock you.

• KrisDecember 19, 2013 - 2:17 am

go climb a mountain

• Up In SmokeDecember 18, 2013 - 6:00 pm

Now would be a good time to bring up something that has bothered me since purchasing my Tesla and two Toyota hybrids. It seems as though no one cares about our air quality any more and continue to drive polluting internal combustion engine vehicles. My solution involves restricting said cars and trucks to odd and even allowable commute days based on the first digit of the license plate number. Of course personalized plates and limosines would naturally be exempt as would government fleets. This would free up valuable commute time and promote a healthier environment for all.

• Tom GibneyDecember 18, 2013 - 10:21 pm

I drive a 1971 Chevy truck with a V8 motor. It's easier and less expensive to repair. It will last longer than a prius...it already has. Wood smoke happens. It has happened for centuries. It will happen for centuries after our passing. Deal with it. I love the smell of chimney smoke in the winter and fall and even spring. It's cheaper than Propane almost. I can fill my truck with wood I have cut and burn it to keep me warm. It's very satisfying really. I also want to have 100 watt light bulbs. They grind up better than those curly cue hippie lights that have florescent gas in them ..lot cheaper too...well they were till the yuppie/hippies outlawed them.

• cookie65December 19, 2013 - 8:31 am

Simon Bar Sinister....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPimi4Mjdr8

• Tom GibneyDecember 19, 2013 - 6:21 pm

I loved Underdog ! back when they made decent cartoons that made kids think a little "SImon sez....!"

• James E.December 18, 2013 - 10:31 pm

Tom, you can buy 100W bulbs on the internet. I got 8 of them for a lamp I my wife purchased. Well, the lamp only needed two, but I wanted 6 in reserve. I think you can Google "purchase 100W bulbs on the internet" and it will give you several places that sell them.

• Tom GibneyDecember 19, 2013 - 9:24 am

Excellent James, I will pursue that. One of my hobbies is collecting and building model kits. 100 watts is easier to work with since my eyesight is getting less with my age. Actually my father inlaw may have some 150 three way lights. Hmmm, then I can really feel like a rebel!

• Alex NettoDecember 19, 2013 - 12:44 am

I just vomited in my mouth. Flat landers go the *$&@ home . We burn wood , it's cold , I was told of another story , I belive on Facebook , I don't do Facebook so I'm not sure . But my wife told me of someone complaining about the roads when it snows here . Might be the same people . My point is you can live here and love it and deal with the fact we get snow and have wood burning stoves or you can go somwhere that dosnt have these things. Buy a four wheel drive and a gas mask! Lol better yet like I mentioned before LEAVE!!

• suzanneDecember 19, 2013 - 9:33 am

If you are interested, you can log on to the Air Resources Board. They have information on research for clean burning of indoor wood and wood stove smoke damage to the environment. Perhaps I should have addressed my comment on clean burning of wood stoves and not cutting back on the use of wood stoves.

• PollockerDecember 19, 2013 - 9:33 am

We heat our large PP home primarily with wood which we chop and split ourselves with an inexpensive permit from the county. My husband is nearly 70, and it's good exercise. Someone wondered what it cost to heat a house up here: for us, it's about $900/year for propane, about $35 for the permit, and $900/yr for electricity. We have a newish wood burning stove. Our propane rarely kicks on. Am I going to replace my 25 year old heating/ac unit to make it "more efficient?" Hell no, not until it croaks. Replacing something that works that may be a little inefficient with something that costs $10K+ does not make any financial sense. That'd be like trading that paid off 1971 truck in for a $30K Prius. I am a bay area transplant who absolutely loves living up here and being a bit more self-sufficient. That comment about heating our home every other day because we use a wood burning stove-- that was too funny. And ask for financial aid -- you mean go on the dole-- so someone else will pay for something for me? You can't be serious.

• Jim BeckDecember 19, 2013 - 10:04 am

Don't forget when you replace your AC unit you need to pull a county permit and upgrade certain items. $$$$$$$

• suzanneDecember 19, 2013 - 10:20 am

The program I speak of might forgo the permit.

• James E.December 19, 2013 - 9:26 am

Tom, I'm sure you can buy 150W bulbs on the internet. Google it.

• James E.December 19, 2013 - 9:30 am

Tom, I Googled -- one of the sites is Amazon.com selling 150W Incandescent light bulbs. Amazon seems to sell everything.

• Tom GibneyDecember 19, 2013 - 10:24 am

Indeed they do and if all goes well they will sell my book soon too. :) A series of interconnected short stories

• James E.December 19, 2013 - 10:27 am

Tom, when available, I'll buy your book.

• rodDecember 19, 2013 - 11:46 am

We are surrounded by forests where older trees naturally die. If we don’t clean off these dead trees near our neighborhoods the potential for catastrophic wildfire further threatens our health and safety… and property values. So either we clear and use it for free, or the FS control burns selected areas in the wet season. But they have been failing their mandate to ‘manage’ the forests since harvesting of timber has been chased out by ‘enviromental’ groups, which eliminated tax revenues to fund FS management. If the ‘environmentalists’ really wanted to help the environment. They would recognize and foster wood burning, an infinite renewable resource instead of forcing transition to propane and electrical generation which all relies totally on fossil fuel, an unnatural and ever-growing cost to the environment and our budgets. Wood burning ‘kills two birds with one stone’, It’s called energy efficiency. And of course everyone should be integrating solar energy where they can, especially for the most basic and inexpensive use of heating water. But the obvious trend of govt is to eventually remove our water, woodstoves… then us from our private property.

• suzanneDecember 19, 2013 - 12:16 pm

Rod. Again. I'm not suggesting we stop burning. I'm suggesting burning clean. With Freedom comes responsibility.

• Willliam HoweDecember 19, 2013 - 12:39 pm

Suzanne and Mike Burgan, Perhaps you should have done a little "homework" in choosing the location where you live. Local residents and their families, some dating back for several decades, have been using woodstoves and fireplaces to heat their homes comfortably and efficiently for a long time. If you are very sensitive to smoke you should not be living in a "basin" type environment where the smoke is subject to a cold inversion layer which keeps it near the ground. Moving to higher ground is one solution for you without changing others' lifestyles.

• suzanneDecember 19, 2013 - 2:02 pm

Do you read others post before replying? Again. It has not been a problem in the past 24 years. It has been lately with so many moving here. We did do our homework. And we live above the fray. And again. Like I said before if you had read my post. Burning clean is an option along with changing out your units.

• Willliam HoweDecember 29, 2013 - 12:02 am

OK, you did not vote for Obama. What does that have to do with your issue with woodsmoke?

• Joe daddyDecember 19, 2013 - 2:24 pm

Good point I live @ 3200 feet and we ALL burn in my neighborhood, I don't notice any smoke or smell it must be going to Mike and Suzanne's LOL

• Joe daddyDecember 19, 2013 - 2:16 pm

Could this be Suzanne or Mike? Crime log entry for 12-18-2013 EDSO 415 PC INFORMATION REPORT \ WHITE ROCK RD, EL DORADO HILLS EG1311279 THE VICTIM REPORTED SHE RECEIVED NUMEROUS HARSH PIECES OF MAIL THAT WERE CONDEMNING HER USE OF HER WOOD BURNING STOVE. AN INFORMATION REPORT WAS TAKEN AT THE REQUEST OF THE VICTIM. V01 SEX=F VICTIM AGE = 76

• GO RedDecember 19, 2013 - 3:03 pm

tO ALL OF U PEOPLE WHO SO EAGRLY TELL people to move from El Dorado County,why dont you leave California. Go to the MIDWEST, middle america , the bible belt wherever but stay off the east coast and the west coast because quite frankly we dont want u here! California is blue so get the hell out!

• Tom GibneyDecember 19, 2013 - 4:02 pm

Wow, California is a liberal state. However, were it not for some conservatives (=normal compared to the rest of the California socialists) You would be paying a lot more taxes and fined for saying something bad against gays or Muslims or burning wood...If one feels so bad about this then I propose we keep the coastal side to the liberal hippies and leave the mountains to conservative smart people who are proficient at utilizing local resources as well as restocking them....just a thought

• FYIDecember 19, 2013 - 3:52 pm

Suzanne you may want to get a second opinion on your HVAC installation because if you are pulling in smoke it may be that your intake duct is not sealed and pulling in air from your atic. Any HVAC guy knows that the unit effiency is only as good as your duct system and should have been upgraded as well. pulling in outside air is not normal unless you have a 'fresh air'setting in which case you should turn it to rescuirculation. I hope this clears the air.

• suzanneDecember 19, 2013 - 5:06 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful. We had the old duct work removed and new installed. I also check weekly to make sure no rodents are chewing holes in the duct as well. I will check on the recirculation system as well. Anything is better than choking all night long.

• James E.December 19, 2013 - 4:19 pm

I'm resigned to the fact that Rod will never tell me about the 'black needle.' Rod???????

• Joe daddyDecember 19, 2013 - 5:42 pm

Could this be Suzanne or Mike? Crime log entry for 12-18-2013 E.D.S.O. 415 PC INFORMATION REPORT \ WHITE ROCK RD, EL DORADO HILLS EG1311279 THE VICTIM REPORTED SHE RECEIVED NUMEROUS HARSH PIECES OF MAIL THAT WERE CONDEMNING HER USE OF HER WOOD BURNING STOVE. AN INFORMATION REPORT WAS TAKEN AT THE REQUEST OF THE VICTIM. V01 SEX=F VICTIM AGE = 76

• Phil VeerkampDecember 20, 2013 - 5:00 pm

No discussion about smoke "pollution" is complete without ~~~ LINK - Science: On second thought, no, secondhand smoke won’t kill you

• Half BakedDecember 28, 2013 - 5:13 pm

I would be glad to stop using my wood stove every other day if you would like to pay my electric bill for the base board heaters in my home. Not the whole bill, just the difference in the cost from regular usage to heating usage. Heck, I would use it exclusively if you want. NO need to to alternate. Just send me the money and no more wood stove for me... I hate the exercise anyway.

Greenwood School being restored

By Noel Stack | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Motorcycle fatality in Greenwood

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 46 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 12 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3