Apartment fire displaces families

DSC_9257e

THE EL DORADO COUNTY FIRE Protection District responded at 5:01 a.m. Tuesday to a fully involved fire at the Woodridge Apartments. Democrat photo by Shelly Thorene

From page A1 | January 29, 2014 | 6 Comments

A fire in Placerville displaced multiple families Tuesday morning.

El Dorado County Fire received a report at 4:59 a.m. that an apartment on Woodridge Road was on fire, El Dorado County Fire Division Chief Paul Lohan said.

They arrived to find the fire “blowing out of the roof” of the middle upstairs apartment at 2661 Woodridge Road, Lohan said. It was fully involved.

Two patients were burned, he said, with one transported to Placerville Airport to be taken to UC Davis Medical Center, and the other taken by ground to the same facility. All other occupants had safely gotten out of the five apartments in the building. In total, nine adults and seven children were displaced and the Red Cross was on-scene to provide assistance and to help find temporary shelter.

The fire was contained by 6 a.m., Lohan said, and investigators would be working most of the day to determine the cause.

El Dorado County Fire, Diamond Springs Fire, Cal Fire and an air unit from Folsom Fire responded, along with Placerville Police Department and the Red Cross.

• Prayers & encouragement for the families...January 28, 2014 - 12:20 pm

I know how this feels…I left a frying pan on the burner with oil in it on as I had just turned on the burner to answer my phone. I thought it would just take a second. It was my wonderful mother-n-law mad at me. Not a second. Worse! I then lay down on the sofa to regain myself after being yelled at. I forgot about the stove/pan. Next my 3 kids came running out of the bedroom screaming fire! I had a fire happen in my kitchen a long time ago. I was 4 months pregnant with my 4th. child. I sliced my wrist trying to break the glass in the apartment complex to get into the box containing the fire extinguisher. I went into labor with early contractions/cramps as I began to race around to get my 3 kids out of the apartment. I then looked over as I went back in and I saw the whole 1/2 of the kitchen in flames. I then sprayed the heck out of the kitchen before the firemen got there. The kitchen was covered in white foam spray when I was ushered out still shaking, but the fire was out, all were safe. I was then loaded up in the ambulance with i.v.'s, and placed on my left side. The wonderful firemen and paramedics got my contractions to stop and helped me. My 4th. child was born on time. I believe he is ok because of those men that day. My husband showed up at the hospital from work and his first words were; "you just had to burn down the kitchen to get a new one?" Anyways... -Oh I am so thankful to the men and women who serve us daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, minute by minute and always on call in the last second to jump and run and help out those like I was who are in need. God bless you, ALL!

• amen &January 28, 2014 - 12:23 pm

amen.

• Robert D NollJanuary 29, 2014 - 7:39 am

God bless you

• JeanJanuary 29, 2014 - 10:11 am

We all need to come together and help the displaced victims. This is such a tragedy.

• Frances-Marie DuBrelJanuary 29, 2014 - 10:13 am

Cole will you be doing a follow up article? Specifically to the investigators findings to the cause of the fire? Alot of us that live up here on Woodridge Ct. were touched by this and are looking for answers to our questions. There is also some amazing news about a young boy and his hamster and a family that thought their dog had died in the fire but had been found. I would like to see you share the good that came out of this via our Local Paper. Also the cause. Thank you Cole. I hope you can bring this to your boss and get permission to follow up on these stories. Fran

• MeganJanuary 31, 2014 - 6:54 am

Yes, neighbors deserve to know what appended. Please do a follow up report when more details come out.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment