The unemployment rate in the Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville MSA was 8.5 percent in June 2013, up from a revised 7.8 percent in May 2013, and below the year-ago estimate of 10.7 percent.
This compares with an unadjusted unemployment rate of 8.8 percent for California and 7.8 percent for the nation during the same period.
The unemployment rate was 8.2 percent in El Dorado County, 7.5 percent in Placer County, 8.7 percent in Sacramento County, and 8.5 percent in Yolo County.
Between May 2013 and June 2013, total wage and salary employment located in the counties of El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, and Yolo increased by 7,800 to total 850,700 jobs.
• Leisure and hospitality lead the month-over expansion with a 3,700-job gain, predominately in accommodation and food services (up 3,000 jobs).
• Trade, transportation, and utilities contributed 2,600 jobs. Retail trade accounted for most of the additions (up 2,300 jobs), while transportation, warehousing, and utilities and wholesale trade contributed 200 jobs and 100 jobs, respectively.
• Construction reported its largest May-to-June increase since 2006 with an addition of 2,100 jobs.
• Other services lost 700 jobs over the month.
Between June 2012 and June 2013, total jobs in the region increased by 7,000, or 0.8 percent.
• Trade, transportation, and utilities picked up 5,300 jobs over the year. Retail trade (up 4,200 jobs), transportation, warehousing, and utilities (up 600 jobs), and wholesale trade (up 500 jobs) all contributed to the expansion.
• Leisure and hospitality (up 4,600 jobs) reported its largest year-over increase since June of 2006. The majority of the gains were in accommodation and food services (up 4,300 jobs).
• Education and health services expanded by 2,900 jobs. Health care and social assistance added 2,000 jobs, and education services picked up 900 jobs over the year.
• Other services lost 2,700 jobs. The decline in residual other services (down 2,800 jobs) more than offset the minimal gain in repair and maintenance (up 100 jobs).