Bear poaching suspects nabbed

Following a five-month investigation, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers have formally asked the Nevada County District Attorney’s Office to file felony and misdemeanor charges against suspected bear poachers Jason Scott Wilkison, 43, of Grass Valley and Chris Art Nunley, 54, of North San Juan for crimes related to alleged bear poaching in April 2013.

Both men have been charged with the unlawful possession of bear. Additional charges of unlawfully killing a bear were filed against Wilkison. Both individuals also face felony charges involving the unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition.

Lead investigator Warden Jerry Karnow launched the investigation when he received reports of a bear that had been unlawfully shot after being lured with bait to a residence located near Grizzly Flats in Nevada County. Wildlife officers, assisted by Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies, served a series of search warrants where bear remains were found in a shallow grave near Wilkison’s residence. Additional bear remains were located at Nunley’s residence.

The CDFW Forensic Laboratory was involved in an analysis of the blood and bear remains, which CDFW believes will support the case. The recovery of firearms, ammunition and evidence throughout the investigation indicate Wilkison and Nunley, who are convicted felons, unlawfully possessed firearms and ammunition.

Caifornia Department Of Fish & Wildlife

• PattyNovember 15, 2013 - 8:28 am

Hang them along with all the other "illegal hunters"

• DannyBoyNovember 15, 2013 - 1:04 pm

Feed Them To The Bears !!

• Alex NettoNovember 15, 2013 - 6:02 pm

Rather see a poacher who used the meat to feed there family than see them use welfair .... Or "cash aid" for 10 years. Not saying it's ok to break the law but this is how god made us to eat and survive, look back at the founders of this country, the would hunt to eat. I say let's go back to the old days , so much simpler so much more dignity , men where men and didn't wax there body and wear lotion . Lol, god what is this world coming too? I'm scared and imbarassed for society.

• PatriceNovember 16, 2013 - 7:14 pm

Yes, be afraid Mr. Netto. You would fit right in in the old days. You can barely spell and probably proud of it.

• Modern ManNovember 15, 2013 - 7:33 pm

"there body" or "their body". I love to put bears in my well under my house. I force them to wax their bodies and put lotion on their skin. I'm a modern man poacher.

• Alex NettoNovember 15, 2013 - 8:32 pm

Yea I'm just an white trash hills billy, we don't have no goud scool and things around here, scuse my spell in , but boy I tell you what I'm good to hear you got the bears in the well too partner I thought I was the only one . We TOTALY need to hang out drink some paps and shoot some stuff and things. Bring the lotion... Omg my hands are SOOO dry from typing in that office all day.

• Alex NettoNovember 16, 2013 - 11:42 pm

Oh damn didn't even see "Patrice " the first go round ..... You are funny though, I guess you can talk all the **** you want when you hide behind an alias or half name on the internet. But you are ABSOLUTLY right I would fit right in and I would give anything for us to go back. 3 day cattle run , you don't hunt , you don't eat . See that creek ? There is your shower...... Love The Lord , protect your family , and respect your neighbor. Just seems so simple and easy , but what the hell , I gotta go ..... If I don't get good rest I get bags under my eyes and OMG I have to look good tomorrow I have yoga and a "man "acure with my BFF and sone boys from the office.

• Alex NettoNovember 16, 2013 - 11:50 pm

I have to be dreaming right? I swear I was born raised and still live in el dorado county..... Is there really our own citizens of this BEAUTIFUL place talking smack about shooting a bear ??? I would give anything for my home back and not a getaway for flat landers that want to retire in the mountains .

• MorrisNovember 17, 2013 - 12:32 am

Did they even put up any of the bear or just shoot it for shooting it? The latter would be really lame. Either way a crime. But still lame.

• JamesNovember 17, 2013 - 12:06 pm

Mr. Netto, I was born and raised in this area, but what I was taught was to respect the animals that reside in this area. Also I would appreciate it if you did not categorize the entire population of our region to fit into your belief of what standards are important. As I stated I was born, raised and will stay here but I am far from uneducated. In addition, if you paid attention in classes you would have been provided with enough insight to know that our economy of this region highly depends on these "flat landers" that you hate. You are free to get a log cabin out in the woods somewhere and live out your days as you see fit, but please do so without illegally murdering our wildlife. Thanks for your time, and a surprising level of patience for your type if you actually made it all the way through this.

• Alex NettoNovember 17, 2013 - 8:14 pm

I made it through the whole post buddie and I even understood all the big words. The schooling Referance was a joke cuz modern man was making fun of me because I used some words in the wrong context , I am educated and the schools in this county ( most of them) are amazing , some rated in the top 3 in the nation . I am not a back woods hill billy, I'm a tax paying law abideing citizen that loves his community . I do know that tourism and out of towners contribute a huge amount of money to local business and that's great all I'm saying is we live in the foothills/ mountains for a reason and that way of life needs to be preserved. I can see placerville turning into folsome in the coming years and that's great for $ but destroys the small home town atmosphere..... Don't kill things illegally and be a good person ! :) I will continue to do the same.

• JamesNovember 18, 2013 - 9:12 am

Well put and I can agree with you there. I do not like the slow spread of growth that is working its way up either, but that is a whole different subject. Hopefully our snow will detour too many people from coming too high up, but I don't know what to say for Placerville. I am in Pollock so I am hoping to be safe for a while from too big of a change. Thanks for responding and clarifying your perspective.

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment